As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Assassin's Creed] To fight the horde, sing and cry

• SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    I'm running a 6600k at 4.4ghz and a 1070 running everything maxed on 1440p (with g-sync, no v-sync), I get about 55ish fps pretty steady without many dips. The experience has been bug free and pretty quick loading as well (knock on wood).

• HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    PROTIP: You can throw torches.

I didn't learn this until like 10 hours in.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    You can also light your arrows on fire with your own torch. Or so I have read.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Started laying it tonight. Just the first few quests to get the hang of the controls. Took me a while to figure out that the flat U looking key was the space bar. I'm used to games saying 'press space'.

Looks amazing. Defaulted to high, and I get a bit of slowdown in Siwa so I'll probably leave it where it set itself. Still looks amazing though.

edit - threw it on very high and it performs about the same.

I've got everything on Very High and I set the FPS to 60 and it seems to be fine to me. The performance test thing apparently dipped down to low numbers for a couple moments but as far as actual gameplay goes I haven't noticed anything egregious.

• jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    PROTIP: You can throw torches.

I didn't learn this until like 10 hours in.

This ends up being the way I kill the snakes when they surprise me in a dark hallway.

Xbox Live: Jefe414
    Okay, so now I got a graphical glitch...
    20hc46300a97.jpg
    That's odd, let me double check my map...
    uoz61uego3xy.jpg
    Uh....

• Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    "No no that's just animus. It's all part of the game experience." - Ubisoft, probably.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    New climbing system is great. No more handholds.

New combat system is okay. I assume it gets better as you level up? Still better than countering your way to victory though.

• soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    It's harder, it does get better with perks unlocked. I just considered it incentive to be better at stealth, which is the part I like anyway. It's not to everyone's taste though.

Only part of combat that pisses me off is fighting people who have giant shields. But I assume that's why smoke bombs are in the game.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Started laying it tonight. Just the first few quests to get the hang of the controls. Took me a while to figure out that the flat U looking key was the space bar. I'm used to games saying 'press space'.

Looks amazing. Defaulted to high, and I get a bit of slowdown in Siwa so I'll probably leave it where it set itself. Still looks amazing though.

edit - threw it on very high and it performs about the same.

I've got everything on Very High and I set the FPS to 60 and it seems to be fine to me. The performance test thing apparently dipped down to low numbers for a couple moments but as far as actual gameplay goes I haven't noticed anything egregious.

I actually bumped it to Ultra High and it seems fine. That's surprising, though I'm running it at 1080p and not 4k.

I got out of the starting zone and the new area is amazing. So much to do. Tooling around the lake in a boat was fun, until I got mauled by Crocodiles. What's the best way to take them on? I shot a few from land they couldn't get to with a box until I ran out of arrows, and the last one I had to kill in the water with my sword, and he nearly got me.

• firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Is anyone having weird stuttering/loading issues on PC? I fired this up after being away for a while, and I don't know if it's a patch or a dying hard drive (though this is the only game on that drive giving me issues) or what, but it's making the game unplayable.

Tweaked some overclock settings and now this is running perfectly again! Guess it's pretty sensitive to CPU stuff, since it was the only game giving me issues recently.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
    Man this game just continues to do its best to make me forget about Unity. The way odd little side quests chain into others and you get this little side story is great.
    Talk to someone about fake mummified cats, leading to finding the vendor who wants to talk to you at night. Which turns into an ambush. Which turns into finding out where the bandits are and destroying their fake mummified cats.

That fight itself was great. Cresting a sand dune and there's a bandit camp below, so I sneak up to and kill a sentry. Then snipe a guard with my bow, but then I can't manage to hit the guy who noticed. So I run around and stealth my way through the encounter, eventually stealth killing the leader.

If that was some minor part of the early story I'd have been happy, but being a side quest was pretty impressive. Looking forward to more little quest chains. Also it seems they took a page from RDR, where you'll have little random encounters happen. Walking through town and I see a pair of Crocodiles harassing the villagers. Saw that one again when I was tooling around the lake in a boat to get to an island that had a viewpoint. Helping out also got me the materials I needed to upgrade my armour which was nice.

Man, Crocodiles and Hippos. One of the first games that's make me scared of going swimming. Usually I look forward to diving about large bodies of water, but the way they scatter debris around the water makes it hard to determine what's just a wicker basket lid and what is a log with teeth.

The game world is just so interesting to walk around in and look for things.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Assassin's Creed: Rogue PS4 and XBone port launches on March 20th.

Actually kind of excited to play that one. Missed it when it launched, but I hear it's pretty good. And it has that sweet ship combat.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    Are the Assassins Creed Chronicles good? I've been after some 2.5 games to play.

• danxdanx Registered User regular
    Started playing Origins today. It's great. Bayek's VA is really good. The early game is a bit disjointed but it's funner than I was expecting. Had read the early game is the worst part and it really kicks in a few hours in.

My only quibble is with the bows. Found 3 types so far. I don't like them much. They're very gamey and I find myself only using the predator so far but it's early days. That's a terrible description but I'm struggling to find the words to describe how they feel.

• Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    The straight-up combat in Origins just feels bad to me so far but I don't have a lot of skills unlocked so hopefully it gets better when I finally do. Being stealthy is where the game really feels good.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
    I accidentally sold the super-rare Warrior Bow that gives you health back when you hit an enemy with it.

Guess I should just give up on killing elephants now. Fucking hell Ubisoft, why don't you have a buyback option?

edited January 2018
    I find myself defaulting to the Predator for sniping (even better when you unlock guided arrows) and a short (light?) bow for close up shooting.

The I unlocked enough melee skills to hold 2 weapons but I'm leaving it there. I find myself stealthing through everything and if I fuck up and get discovered, I pull out the bows. I only pull out the swords when I run out of arrows.

Guided arrows make some assassinations both horribly easy and incredibly cool.
    There was one guy sitting at a table surrounded by bodyguards in a small house. I hopped on a roof, fired near the bottom of the door, took control of the arrow and steered it up into his face. I'd have loved to have seen that from his POV.

-Loki- on
  • soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Assassin's Creed: Rogue PS4 and XBone port launches on March 20th.

Actually kind of excited to play that one. Missed it when it launched, but I hear it's pretty good. And it has that sweet ship combat.

I enjoyed it so much I may re-buy the HD version. Fun twist on the usual story and has a couple of incredible story action sequences.

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Yay

An actual good AC is coming

• MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    The I unlocked enough melee skills to hold 2 weapons but I'm leaving it there. I find myself stealthing through everything and if I fuck up and get discovered, I pull out the bows. I only pull out the swords when I run out of arrows.

Melee comes into its own when you get the overpower upgrades all unlocked. If you get spotted but the other guy hasn't alerted anyone you can use your full bar of adrenaline to overpower and kill him in one hit even when the assassination option is gone. Has saved my ass on many a stealth attack on fortresses.

Which is also where the double weapon slot comes into it for me. I have a nice sword as my main weapon that has instant charge for the charged heavy attacks for knocking aside the big tower shields, but then for the one hits I have a Heavy Blade that does a shit tonne of damage (just shy of 4000) when used with the Overpower ability.

PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Are the Assassins Creed Chronicles good? I've been after some 2.5 games to play.

I enjoyed the first one, though not enough to pick up the rest.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »
    The straight-up combat in Origins just feels bad to me so far but I don't have a lot of skills unlocked so hopefully it gets better when I finally do. Being stealthy is where the game really feels good.

The combat is definitely just jank you have to get used too. It doesn't necessarily get better, you just get accustomed to it. Parrying is worthless, you're better off just dodging attacks than trying to parry. Still, it's not the worst combat system. I think it just needs some kinks ironed out.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I didn't like the warrior or light bows in the beginning, I mostly stuck to hunter and predator. That changed over the course of the game though. Hunter bows never really get better, but light bows benefit from upgrades and a larger quiver so you can really dump light arrows into dudes. By the end I never used Hunter bows, I always ran with predator+light, occasionally warrior for shotgunning birds or something.

While the sheer scale of the Egypt they created is impressive, it's obvious the actual area they refer to in dialogue should be a lot bigger.
    In a cutscene with Bayek and his son talking about the stars, his son says 'and one day I will even see the pyramids'. But they were pretty visible in the distance. Though this one might have been me doing that quest out of order, as the start was meant to be in the starting area where there's a few zones between you and the pyramids.

Another where you save a young girl at a fig farm from Roman soldiers, she says 'eventually I'd like to go back to Alexendria' and I thought yeah, I'm on my way there, it's about a mile down the road.

However, being able to fly anywhere as Senu is breathtaking. The world they created is so beautiful, especially when you're flying over the coast at sunrise. At first I was just using Senu to scout materials and such, but now I find myself just flying for ages, as high as possible, marveling at the game.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Yeah that cutscene you did was out of order.

The other part is just the limitation of size in the game, as I'm pretty sure memphis and alexandria are slightly further apart than they are in the game.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Yeah it's pretty much standard game stuff, I just consider it like it takes me 3 minute but narratively and for the characters and world it's actually like 3 weeks. Etc. like you have to be flexible with that stuff as long as it's not egregious you just use your imagination

Kind of like how in most games you single handedly murder like 1000 people and nobody really goes woah easy guy

Prohass on
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    Yeah it's pretty much standard game stuff, I just consider it like it takes me 3 minute but narratively and for the characters and world it's actually like 3 weeks. Etc. like you have to be flexible with that stuff as long as it's not egregious you just use your imagination

Kind of like how in most games you single handedly murder like 1000 people and nobody really goes woah easy guy

At that point they’re just going, “well done!”

Always assume the scale of any real-world setting is greatly compacted in a video game.

• SproutSprout Registered User regular
    I just finished the main quest in AC:O.
    Boy howdy, they really lay it on thick at the end there. The symbol, the cloak, bringing back "Resquiat im pace", all of that. Really good game, but that stuff all felt a little fan service-y.

So there's an Assassins Creed sale on. Syndicate is $10 and Freedom Cry is $5. Were those good?

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Sprout wrote: »
    I just finished the main quest in AC:O.
    Boy howdy, they really lay it on thick at the end there. The symbol, the cloak, bringing back "Resquiat im pace", all of that. Really good game, but that stuff all felt a little fan service-y.

I forgave it since the majority of the game almost felt like a different franchise. You know an actual good one...

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    So there's an Assassins Creed sale on. Syndicate is $10 and Freedom Cry is $5. Were those good?
    Yes. Both of those are on the upper end of the scale as far as AC games go. I thiiiink they're both the same internal Ubi team, actually.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Man...I'm still in Act 2.

I mean I've been taking my time doing side quests and all that but man.

Also already level 35 and I haven't even met
    Caesar
    yet.

Dragkonias on
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    The chocobo-camel (Choco-camel?) is so weird looking:
    hVypFg7.jpg

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
    Wish it made chocobo sounds instead of gurgling like a camel.

• 101101 Registered User regular
    Halo of the huntress side quest
    Does the halo do anything? The quest giver mentioned soaring over the five cities with it, so I went to the five major settlements and went to Senu

Nothing happened though

Why does the Anubis quest stay open after beating it? Is it simply because you can keep doing it until you get all the gear?

I was running around and saw one of those blue blips on the map and decided to finally give this asymmetric multiplayer thing a go. It directs me to avenge a player and points me out into the water. I took a boat and went looking for the bad guys, figuring they're on a Trireme or another small boat, but it's pointing to an area of water where there's nothing. I get closer...

A fucking Crocodile. Well thanks for the experience and some more hardened leather, I guess.