As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Welcome! Everything is fine. [The Good Place][OPEN SPOILERS]

JimothyJimothy Not in front of the foxhe's with the owlRegistered User regular
*Michael snap*

*white light*

vnfj3jdnwyw40fmmnftn.png

Let's talk about the best show on TV, The Good Place!

Do you like shows like Parks and Rec or Brooklyn 99? Mike Schur makes this show too!

Do you like ethics and moral philosophy? Everyone hates you! But there's a lot of that on The Good Place.

Do you like ridiculously diverse, funny, touching, beautiful casts?

57c65fa23c22d.png

We got you covered.

Tube says this is an open spoilers thread, because otherwise this conversation would get very annoying

So let's talk about why Jason and Janet should get back together and where they could possibly go after last night's episode!

• Options
    PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular
    OP lacks Maximum Derek.

Derek.jpg

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Im glad there was a kind of happy ending for Mindy

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options

Plus, Derek and Mindy are in a place where they can be called back and used later without much setup.

• Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular

Actually, now that I think about it, a sex robot with wind chimes for a ding-dong is, like, perfect medium place.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Based on the Jaguars being in the playoffs this year I'm worried we're all trapped in Jason's version of The Good Place.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Nobody likes Derek Bortles anyway.

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Moving a discussion with @Dracomicron from the TV thread to here (with spoilers off, of course)
    New Good Place

I know that "Demons love/invented [THING]" is a well that could run dry, but them being responsible for Roasts was a real good joke.

My question, though:
    If demons invented roasts, how did they get to Earth? Can demons go to Earth? Send messages? Can anyone?

There isn't much in this show about the afterlife interfering with the real world. That's maybe a place they can go later, if it turns out that time is compressed in The Bad Place and only like two years have passed on Earth for hundreds of iterations of the Neighborhood.

My wild guess is that demons can manipulate/influence people on Earth to cause misery, but I'm not attached to that theory if something else is shown.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Moving a discussion with Dracomicron from the TV thread to here (with spoilers off, of course)
    New Good Place

I know that "Demons love/invented [THING]" is a well that could run dry, but them being responsible for Roasts was a real good joke.

My question, though:
    If demons invented roasts, how did they get to Earth? Can demons go to Earth? Send messages? Can anyone?

There isn't much in this show about the afterlife interfering with the real world. That's maybe a place they can go later, if it turns out that time is compressed in The Bad Place and only like two years have passed on Earth for hundreds of iterations of the Neighborhood.

My wild guess is that demons can manipulate/influence people on Earth to cause misery, but I'm not attached to that theory if something else is shown.

So far we have confirmation that demons can see the human world, even know thoughts of individuals, but I don't think there has ever been any talk of manipulation...and in fact the amount of paperwork that would be necessary would probably make it not worthwhile.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I'd buy it being a limited thing. If it did exist I could see it being used so the humans could give a final message to somebody on Earth and get some closure. Assuming time compression is in effect, of course.

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    This show is good shirt.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Every new Janet development is a new opportunity for D'Arcy Carden to be the best. Bad Janet and Drunk Janet in a single episode is a gift

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    Drunk Janet was wonderful. All Janet is great, really.

I could have done with maybe 5% less Jason in the latest episode. His random interjections were unusually hit or miss for me this week. Usually everything he says cracks me up but something was amiss this time. Maybe me, who knows.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Fart jokes don't usually work for me, but Bad Janet farting on Vicky was Very Good.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    So, Michael absolutely has no idea what to do now, right? He can’t stay there anymore, and there’s no way he actually knows how to get them into the real Good Place.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    So, Michael absolutely has no idea what to do now, right? He can’t stay there anymore, and there’s no way he actually knows how to get them into the real Good Place.

He is in charge of the new program. He is actually perfectly positioned to help the Felonious Four.

• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    0gwl7fGl.jpg

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Janet getting rebooted and the stuff immediately following might be the best television of the decade

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    I am concerned that this is gonna turn into shenanigans and danger creep as things get more convoluted and wacky hijinks to keep them from actually being tortured in the really real bad place

I really don't want this to turn into the funny hijinks version of Supernatural or something where they couldn't stop escalating and have ruined everything enjoyable about the show

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular

He is in charge of the new program. He is actually perfectly positioned to help the Felonious Four.

Yeah, but from his expression right as things ended he's not confident in whatever happens next - Shawn did say to wipe the neighborhood completely, and he may not be able to hide it if he leaves it intact.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    What are the odds that they actually get to the good place but then decide that actually it's kinda boring and sucks, and season 3 is trying to get back to the bad place?

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Speaking of wagers, I'm going to bet that the show's version of God is played by Nick Offerman.

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    While I won’t be surprised if the Good Place is as overly exclusive and bureaucratic as Michael’s ruse suggested and they have to lead a revolution or something and fix it, I don’t think that specific scenario of just leaving fits with the show’s theme of self-improvement

I have no idea what happens next, but I have to imagine that their experiences are leading them toward eventually inventing purgatory or something similar

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »

Yeah, but from his expression right as things ended he's not confident in whatever happens next - Shawn did say to wipe the neighborhood completely, and he may not be able to hide it if he leaves it intact.

I don't think that expression was about not knowing what to do, although I doubt he does. That expression was directly responding to Chidi exclaiming "It's everything we've ever wanted," which contrasted to what Michael said earlier. He's making a huge sacrifice for his friends. I think Danson killed this episode and that scene in particular where he goes REALLY BIG on his reaction to them being ok and then really small on his realization that these people getting what they want means he will suffer and lose his dream.

He's a ridiculous actor.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Speaking of wagers, I'm going to bet that the show's version of God is played by Nick Offerman.

With Amy Poehler being in charge of the actual Good Place.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Zonugal wrote: »

With Amy Poehler being in charge of the actual Good Place.

Aagh, I really want this, but it would tip the meta scales over for me.

• Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    I want Amy Poehler and Amy Sedaris to show up as alternate model Janets and then they have a Janet-off with D'arcy

They'd all be trying to out helpful each other, in such different ways.

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Honestly I’m really enjoying the cast of relative unknowns in this show - and while Adam Scott’s cameo was pretty fun, it was enough for me.

• Options
    Jason Mendoza remains a national treasure.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    The thing I don't think about enough is this show seems expensive

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    See I always think of it as relatively cheap so every time they have something like the big cgi disintegration of the neighborhood I'm a bit surprised.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Somebody had fun thinking up Michael's first pet

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Jason's idea of the bad place is amazing.

• Options
    Jason's idea of the bad place is amazing.

Also love that through all 802 versions, Tahani's concept of The Bad Place is "a slightly uncomfortable vacation"

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    wait nm i read it wrong

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »
    See I always think of it as relatively cheap so every time they have something like the big cgi disintegration of the neighborhood I'm a bit surprised.

It would probably still be one of the more expensive shows on TV if it was just Ted Danson eating breakfast every episode, every scene

He must cost a significant portion of the show’s entire budget

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    this is one of my all time favorite shows

every episode feels like they've written themselves into a corner and then the next episode is them doing batshit crazy narrative gymnastics to dive out of it, only to write themselves into an all new corner for the following week

it feels like they put Parks and Recreation and The Prisoner into a blender and and somehow actually made that work perfectly

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Tahani’s facial expressions were amazing in this last episode.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Tahani reaching a point where she can laugh at herself is my favorite bit of character development i think

• Options
    I can't remember the last time I watched a show that just absolutely changes structure on an almost weekly basis and remains amazing throughout.