As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Battle for the Encmire

1235»

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    I would imagine it depends on whether the fence is actually on the property line
    you would need a survey for that (and really this job) anyway

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Yeah, that's part of why I need consent. First for the fence replacement, and second to consent for a surveyor to confirm the property line.

Going 100% by the book on this.

• Options
    Enc wrote: »
    Yeah, that's part of why I need consent. First for the fence replacement, and second to consent for a surveyor to confirm the property line.

Going 100% by the book on this.

Do you actually need consent for a survey? that seems like a township/city issue above any ownership

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    I don't need consent, but having people be on my neighbor's land without it would be sort of rude. I mean, if we want to go pure legal do whatever-the-fuck-I-can I could just ignore the fence entirely and use that money on other projects, but I'm a polite person and want to be a good neighbor.

That said, my contractor 100% will not work on the fence without written consent so if I want that fence replaced that's what I got to do.

Enc on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    I don't need consent, but having people be on my neighbor's land without it would be sort of rude. I mean, if we want to go pure legal do whatever-the-fuck-I-can I could just ignore the fence entirely and use that money on other projects, but I'm a polite person and want to be a good neighbor.

That said, my contractor 100% will not work on the fence without written consent so if I want that fence replaced that's what I got to do.

So, in short - good neighbors make good fences.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    I ended up printing a letter on bright fuschia card-stock from work and put it in their mail. Got the person same day.

Consent acquired, fence work begins (probably) late next week! :D

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    I ended up printing a letter on bright fuschia card-stock from work and put it in their mail. Got the person same day.

isnt encmire a frozen tundra now

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Winter has come.

• Options
    dlinfiniti wrote: »

It is, but it should be back in the 80s next week.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    dlinfiniti wrote: »

It is, but it should be back in the 80s next week.

Sweet! Gardening in Hypercolour t-shirts, woo-hoo!

• Options
    Fence Update

Guys, sometimes you have to tear down your defenses and make yourself vunerable as a sign of trust, in order to eventually be more secure.

This is one of those times.
    bftem1.png

Note the palm tree.

My fencing contractor was fantastic. Three days. First was clearing and removal, second it rained nonstop so no work done. And on the third day...

vftem2.png

bftem3.png

bftem4.png

And they took out the Palm Tree I said I wanted gone someday as part of the deal! Which is insane and awesome.

The ENCWALL is now complete. With the leftern-most boundaries of the Encmire totally resolved now, I will be turning inwards towards the remaining root systems of the oak tree and clearing the back fence now.

PROGRESS!

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    holy shit your "lawn" looks amazeballs now

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Sawdust from the oak tree turned out to be a nice, if temporary, mulching material!

I'll need to replace it by spring with actual mulch (not going to be able to afford the pebbling this year), but that should be fairly cheap. We have a company that brings a box truck and somehow blows mulch into place like some kind of wizard conjuring spell.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Sawdust from the oak tree turned out to be a nice, if temporary, mulching material!

I'll need to replace it by spring with actual mulch (not going to be able to afford the pebbling this year), but that should be fairly cheap. We have a company that brings a box truck and somehow blows mulch into place like some kind of wizard conjuring spell.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Summon Mulch is actually a Druid spell.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Is it dry enough to clearcoat that fence? Some marine grade varnish will keep it looking pretty for years, instead of it quickly turning a dirty grey colour.

• Options
    We're waiting until next weekend to clearcoat it. :)

• Options
    edited March 2018
    UPDATES:
    Haven't been taking photos for the Encmire progress, but goddamn. Things have been hairy.

I've discovered about a third of the mire was paved with stone pavers in ancient time, then buried by vines and debries at around a foot deep. I've discovered ancient railroad ties used as planter beds that just were totally overgrown by the ages.

I found a stone bible, modern from the Home Depot logo imprinted on the back, with the "With every season... a time to reap a time to sow" thing on the open pages. A spellbook buried in the yard ~under~ a set of pavers. I feared it was a grave site but didn't find any difference in soil or bones for a foot or so. What the hell.

Even larger what the hell, dug out the bushes around my poorly working gutters and found out why they were poorly working all this time. The previous owners took a 25 foot french drain accordion pipe and then BURIED THE THING THREE FEET UNDERGROUND. The whole thing was completely full, at maximum density, with soil and roots. When I popped it off the broken downspout (which has been blocked from rain since the hurricane) several gallons poured out into my yard. I was so mad.

And then there is the bird feeders. There was a bird feeder sticking out of a "bush" which was just another outcropping of that oak tree that they trimmed short. After pulling out both the bird feeder and the shrub, I found another bird feeder. When tilling the ground in that location, i found two more bird feeders. I guess each time one was pulled into the jungle they just put a new one up and forgot about the old one?

The Mechagoat only did so much. At this point, while my clearing is just about done, I still have a root system that is way too thick for my hand tools. I'll probably have to resummon it again.

Next week my new windows get installed and work on repairing the porch damage begins. The week after (hopefully) my roof gets replaced!

Enc on
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    I found a stone bible, modern from the Home Depot logo imprinted on the back, with the "With every season... a time to reap a time to sow" thing on the open pages. A spellbook buried in the yard ~under~ a set of pavers. I feared it was a grave site but didn't find any difference in soil or bones for a foot or so. What the hell.

I think that's just a fancy decorative garden stone, the kind of thing that's usually a stepping stone or some ornamental thing that's stuck in the middle of a garden display. Usually not for marking a dead pet's grave; those would be more obviously labeled.

As for why it's under pavers, I can only assume, given the amount of other crazy things you've found, that the prior owners were insane.

• Options
    It was a hex. A dark spellbook, driving the jungle more and more insane and powerful. Now (hopefully) the curse is lifted.

I'll need to get some holy water and sage, just to make sure.

• Options
    Ooh, get scarlet sage! Salvia coccinea a native plant that reseeds itself and attracts hummingbirds.

S_coccinea-plant.jpg

It's maybe not officially magic, but hummingbirds are kinda like magic, right?

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »
    Ooh, get scarlet sage! Salvia coccinea a native plant that reseeds itself and attracts hummingbirds.

S_coccinea-plant.jpg

Hummingbirds are actually fairies in disguise. Or possibly fairy mounts.
    So, yes. Either way.

• Options
    view.image?Id=1684

Sometimes they even get their own mounts!

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »

S_coccinea-plant.jpg

If it attracts hummingbirds it probably looks pretty magical under UV light.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    Enc it is getting harder and harder to deny that you are living in a Zelda game.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    Enc it is getting harder and harder to deny that you are living in a Zelda game.

The amount of terracotta pots I have smashed with my hoe is substantial.

• Options
    Watch out for the chickens. They're brutal.

• Options
    the local alligators have probably kept that population low

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    mts wrote: »
    the local alligators have probably kept that population low

Actually... re one of the neighboring towns to me:
    Oviedo chickens

Part of Oviedo's southern charm is the population of chickens that roam the downtown area. There are so many of them roaming the area that traffic often stops as they cross the roads. The chickens have been featured on Oviedo T-shirts and coffee mugs and a poster commemorating one of Oviedo's yearly festivals, "A Taste of Oviedo." An image of a rooster is painted on all welcome signs for roads leading into Oviedo, and many residents have bumper stickers that say, "I brake for Oviedo's chickens".

Contrary to what some believe, there are no specific laws or statutes surrounding the chickens, neither for their protection nor for their removal - the latter being something some residents would like to see due to the danger they pose with traffic in the congested town center. For others, however, the chickens add an element of fun.

There are City Ordinances that protect birds in the City Limits, the entire city is designated a bird sanctuary. Chickens are afforded the courtesy of protection under the code.[29]

The chickens were also the subject of a short documentary that was part of the Florida Film Festival 2009.[30]

There are also wild peacocks that roam the downtown area as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oviedo,_Florida

Enc on
  • Options
    51XFkzngJmL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

likely just dinosaurs in disguise

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    As a fun aside, my sister moved to the middle of the state and started a farm last year. She now has dozens of chickens. I visited her last week and they ran at me and it was just like velocaraptors.

Adorable but terrifying.

• Options
    It's easy to forget, sometimes, that the dinosaurs didn't technically go anywhere. They just got smaller...

• Options
    By the by, that book is really cute for young readers. My first grader loved it

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Hey Enc, just be wary if you want to re-use those railrood ties. Some of them can be toxic to plants, and since your home is cursed land already, it might also like, summon a ghost train.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    Hey Enc, just be wary if you want to re-use those railrood ties. Some of them can be toxic to plants, and since your home is cursed land already, it might also like, summon a ghost train.

All this weed pulling has strengthened my spine for suplexing trains. I'm ready.

Also, it all went to the dump. Getting all that shit out of here!

• Options
    John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
    How goes the war?

• Options
    All repairs finished last month, so finally in the clear there! I also have a yard now, thanks to clover growing over the cleared backyard.

Still clearing each week. For the last 10 weeks I've disposed of the 200 gallon maximum the county will take from my yard. The yard waste guys and I had words several months back. Its arranged now but they just stopped picking up stuff due to the quantity I was dumping each week.

I'm about 70% total clear on all sides. At this rate my entire yard, front and back, should be terraformed and replanted by the end of the year. If I get a bonus this year its gonna go to putting in the pavers for the back yard (turning most of it into a brick porch with a firepit).