As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Nintendo] announces Taiko No Tatsujin for the switch

• Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    No regrets looking up easier ways to do the jump rope and volleyball bits in Odyssey.

Those were some baaaaad minigames.

broken image link
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Super mario 3d land is better than super mario 3d world

PNk1Ml4.png
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    -Tal wrote: »

3D World is incredible and 3D Land is bland and bad and remains uninteresting to the very end

It should've been a warning sign when people said "it gets good after you beat Bowser," because a game taking so long to get good is never a good thing

And then after you beat Bowser it still sucks, it is one of the worst Mario games I've played and I don't understand the praise for it other than it was novel having a 3D Mario on a handheld in 2011

UnbreakableVow on
  • DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    I thought both of them were really good!

I lent 3D World to a friend and his boyfriend and then they broke up and the boyfriend took all the gaming stuff, including my game. :(

I hope they do a re-release on the Switch, 3D world was perfect for co-op.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Hey everyone, have an amazing thing from Splatoon 2.

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    3D Land and 3D World were such good games. I'd do a lot in exchange for another full-blown co-op 3D Mario, though; I think our conquest of Champion's Road is literally the most fun SilverWind and I ever had with our Wii U.

Speaking of Splatoon:

My first instinct is "oh hey action" but the more I think about it, Comedy infuses giant swathes of my life and I'm having trouble picking out what side I want to come down on

dN0T6ur.png
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Action, I guess

There's not many comedies I dig really

All my favorite cartoons nowadays are comedies, and that ain't nothing, and generally I watch more things to laugh than I do to get my adrenaline pumping. If it were just baout movies it would be one thing, but...

dN0T6ur.png
    i do love a good chuckle more than a good punch but I feel like any random action film is probably more likely to have the cut of its jib please me than any random comedy

PNk1Ml4.png
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Yeah I feel like there's good comedy in action movies but there haven't been too many specifically comedy genre movies lately that I thought were great.

Television comedy on the other hand, has been pretty good lately

cdci44qazyo3.gif

Then the question comes up, what is a comedy game vs. what is an action game. Is Mario a comedy? Is Zelda an action? What the fuck is Fire Emblem.

Paper Mario is comedy, so we've got that going for us in terms of clarity.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Just compare them all to the funniest comedies of the decade, The Martian and Get Out

6F32U1X.png
    All the LPs I consume are definitely comedy and by God do I watch a lot of those

dN0T6ur.png
  • Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    I probably prefer comedy overall, but the little artwork of Action Movie Squid might convince me to join that team.

edited January 2018
    mario is a platformer and zelda is an action-adventure and fire emblem is a tactical role-playing game

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    There are quite a few ways to make this judgement but i think i'll go with Action because i can watch a bad action movie no problem but a bad comedy is actually painful

If this was about movies I would agree, but this is abotu the concepts of action and comedy. And in that case, it... might be comedy for me? Lord.

dN0T6ur.png
  • YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    What the fuck is Fire Emblem.

Anime.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Yukira wrote: »
    Wyborn wrote: »
    What the fuck is Fire Emblem.

Anna.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Anname.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Fire Emblem is one game series I've never really gotten into.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Fire Emblem is one game series I've never really gotten into.

maybe give the upcoming one for the Switch a try? or at least Awakening on the 3DS if you like turn based strategy at all

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Fire Emblem is a dating sim.

Oh and I guess you kill a dragon to save the world in them too.

• DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    got a really good deal today on the woolly world poochy amiibo and im pretty stoked about because its normally quite expensive

this is probably my favorite amiibo its so goddamn adorable

7yh4xczljsym.png
    what if they made a zelda game where instead of hitting moblins with a sword you have to tell a funny joke into a microphone so that the moblins laugh themselves to death or otherwise are too preoccupied with laughing to continue being a threat to you

PNk1Ml4.png
  • BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    by toby fox

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
    what if they made a zelda game where instead of hitting moblins with a sword you have to tell a funny joke into a microphone so that the moblins laugh themselves to death or otherwise are too preoccupied with laughing to continue being a threat to you

Yeah, I love Monty Python

cdci44qazyo3.gif

Yeah, I love Monty Python

*man running towards the camera as it cuts back and forth from him and the guards several times and he is still far away but then suddenly kills the guards*

PNk1Ml4.png
    Talking about the broad concepts of action and comedy I literally cannot choose because action is quite often a critical component of comedy.

(Therefore the definitive correct answer is Jackie Chan)

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• KupiKupi Registered User regular

Something like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYPwYfbi8jA

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Hey the year just started maybe pace yourself with those terrible takes.

YL9WnCY.png
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Hey the year just started maybe pace yourself with those terrible takes.

have you seen tal on twitter? this pace is glacial compared to that

Shorty on
    Bobkins flymo definitely has no familiarity with ny twitter account

PNk1Ml4.png
    The increased difficulty and complexity of Shovel Knight bosses for the Specter of Torment campaign is good! It's a good change

Getting the "No Damage" feat, though, is now really, really hard. Just, God. I haven't even gotten Black Knight's patterns down enough to handle him with confidence.

dN0T6ur.png
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Fire Emblem is a dating sim.

Like... 2 of them could be considered to have the dating sim elements

I’d say tactical games with visual novel elements? You have virtually no influence over the story in most of them

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I've been playing Golf Story and it's mostly charming + good, but it desperately needs the ability to quit out of a challenge

Like, it's now mathematically impossible to succeed at this challenge because I fucked a hole up pretty bad, maybe let me quit now instead of closing down the whole game and reloading

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I've been playing Golf Story and it's mostly charming + good, but it desperately needs the ability to quit out of a challenge

Like, it's now mathematically impossible to succeed at this challenge because I fucked a hole up pretty bad, maybe let me quit now instead of closing down the whole game and reloading

YOU MADE YOUR BED NOW SLEEP IN IT

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    So I've been getting back to my 3DS lately since there's still a bunch of games I want to play on it

currently switching between 999 and Phoenix Wright 3

talk about tone whiplash between the two, sheesh

• GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    No regrets looking up easier ways to do the jump rope and volleyball bits in Odyssey.

Those were some baaaaad minigames.

yeah straight-up fuck both those games.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    So I've been getting back to my 3DS lately since there's still a bunch of games I want to play on it

currently switching between 999 and Phoenix Wright 3

talk about tone whiplash between the two, sheesh

I wish I could go back and play 999 and Virtues Last Reward for the first time again

Never finished the 3rd one because I had to get rid of my vita. They should put them on Switch

This discussion has been closed.