As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Job] Thread in mourning

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    God some of the calls I get from cardholders of the bank we work for.

Guy calls in, very mumbly:
    G: Hey man so this is <Name>, like, I think there shit wrong with my stuff
    Me: Ok...what kind of stuff?
    G: Like work was suppose to pay me and then well stuff got worked out right, but like I was suppose to have money they sent to the bank yesterday but its not on my card. So like, wheres my money?
    Me: Sir this is the fraud department, is this fraud related?
    G: Yeah the bank stole my money
    Me: No sir, typically those kinds of transactions take a few days to process. So if they sent it Friday it should be there by Monday. I'd followup with your work or with the bank Monday
    G: Thats bullshit. Well actually no thats cool. Sorry man, I'm very high.
    Me: Have a good night sir.
    G: ...what? *click*

I also had a guy call in angry because his transaction wasn't going through and I had to try not to laugh when I saw he was buying penis enlargement pills from a website called Bigmenclub which just...sounds like something else.

I had a guy call in to emergency roadside for his brand new Volvo XC90 (like a $85,000 car) for a lockout. Verbatim, "Dude I locked my keys in the car, can you help me get out?"

"You mean get your keys out? Absolutely, sir, happy to help!"

"Naw, man, get ME out, ya feel? I'm locked in my car."

"Sir, have you pressed the unlock button?"

"Oh man fuck, right. Thanks, bro. I drunk a ton of cough syrup and my brain's kinda ratchet right now, ya feel?"

"So you don't need service?"

"Nah, bro, I'm good. Have a good night, bro."

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Quid wrote: »
    I have amazing per diem. But a mixture between wanting to eat better and frugality.

The per diem will pay for my new fence.

Two of my coworkers weren't expensing a bunch of miles they'd been driving. It's like, what the hell dudes? It's $0.55 per mile, that shit adds up fast. Was pretty much the only good thing about driving to Morgan City, LA & Fort Worth.

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Well, we're getting a visitor from HQ next week, and the first thing he wanted to do during hiw visit was go to a hockey game.

So next Friday, the office is going to a hockey game.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Bucketman wrote: »
    God some of the calls I get from cardholders of the bank we work for.

Guy calls in, very mumbly:
    G: Hey man so this is <Name>, like, I think there shit wrong with my stuff
    Me: Ok...what kind of stuff?
    G: Like work was suppose to pay me and then well stuff got worked out right, but like I was suppose to have money they sent to the bank yesterday but its not on my card. So like, wheres my money?
    Me: Sir this is the fraud department, is this fraud related?
    G: Yeah the bank stole my money
    Me: No sir, typically those kinds of transactions take a few days to process. So if they sent it Friday it should be there by Monday. I'd followup with your work or with the bank Monday
    G: Thats bullshit. Well actually no thats cool. Sorry man, I'm very high.
    Me: Have a good night sir.
    G: ...what? *click*

I also had a guy call in angry because his transaction wasn't going through and I had to try not to laugh when I saw he was buying penis enlargement pills from a website called Bigmenclub which just...sounds like something else.

I had a guy call in to emergency roadside for his brand new Volvo XC90 (like a $85,000 car) for a lockout. Verbatim, "Dude I locked my keys in the car, can you help me get out?"

"You mean get your keys out? Absolutely, sir, happy to help!"

"Naw, man, get ME out, ya feel? I'm locked in my car."

"Sir, have you pressed the unlock button?"

"Oh man fuck, right. Thanks, bro. I drunk a ton of cough syrup and my brain's kinda ratchet right now, ya feel?"

"So you don't need service?"

"Nah, bro, I'm good. Have a good night, bro."

It's stuff like this why I don't trust anyone else on the road.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Supervisor: "J-money, I've got a couple of questions for you.

Me: "The answer to both of them is 'no.'"

Supervisor: "You don't even know what I'm going to ask you!"

Me: "I'll guess. You're going to ask me of I want to stay til 5 today and you're going to ask me to come in Sunday."

Supervisor: "Yeaaaahhh... So?"

Me: "No."

Like hell I'm working Sunday for this disorganized shithole.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    I am disappointed in Samsung for not being as good a job as you hoped, dude. Hopefully things will get on track as they progress.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    work went to hell

Got off 12 hours, 16 minutes

Dream after shedding clothes of visiting work office in Germany

Struggle to say hello to fellow English speaking African American

Family wakes me up to search clothes for laundry key

Acutely under papers because I'm an adult who pays bills and returns things to their origin

Currently shedding mortal coil and singing the song that raises Ryleth

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Currently shedding mortal coil and singing the song that raises Ryleth

You just have to @ him, but you spelled Rhylith wrong.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MadEddy wrote: »
    I am disappointed in Samsung for not being as good a job as you hoped, dude. Hopefully things will get on track as they progress.

Disorganized is still better than dangerous in my book though.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Well fuck, this was some dire news to receive.

According to other threads, handgimp has passed away.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Jesus

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Cut my thumb and a index finger with a box cutter at work 60 minutes ago.
    The metal guard I was using to cut against failed, and it raked up the guard into my thumb

After jumping up and down a few times shouting expletives I got my thumb wrapped up.
    Felt dizzy and couldn't move or tell left from right, about 5 minutes after cleaning and wrapping the digits.
    Coworker brought a chair over for me to sit in for a few minutes.
    Went to my desk to rest and I had another dizzy spell.

Doing well now, and we've seen that the cut isn't real deep,
    nor has it been particularly painful,
    though it was a pretty bloody initially as far as cuts go.

Have full dexterity of digits, so I'm happy bout that!

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I hope this guy having his interview at Starbucks gets the job. So far it sounds like he's nailing it.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Talking of silly calls, my colleague had one the other day:

Colleague : Police emergency how can I help?
    Person: there's a fire in the park, I wasn't sure whether I need to call you or the fire service....

• Options
    Call the parks service!

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    The number one response to "Sheriffs 911, where is your emergency?", is "it's not an emergency"

By a large margin

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    Hey, Googling the non-emergency number would have taken me an extra 2 minutes. This non-emergency is very time sensitive.

• Options
    The non emergency number for police in the UK has been 101 for quite a few years but we still get 999 calls asking for the non emergency number.

Also lots of 999 calls asking for lifts

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    To be fair... I didn't know about the non- emergency number until a few years ago when my mom started working for the police department. It's not as well advertised as 911

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    our 911 is both emergency and non emergency it's kind of weird

• Options
    Obligatory video:

https://youtu.be/HWc3WY3fuZU

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Remember the cook from Old Job who got hired at my new place?

Guess who got let go last night?

Go on, guess.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular

Go on, guess.

Oh Mike please don't tease us so!

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018

Go on, guess.

I mean, you've already figured it out, so ...

In any event, it was an attitude thing. I was baffled by that, since he had only worked two goddamned shifts. How do you get booted after two shifts? Everything was going fine while I was there, I gave him every benefit of the doubt about him turning over a new leaf. I asked one of the sous chefs about it and was told that it was basically an attitude issue.

Then it struck me as I was getting out of the shower after work tonight: I wasn't there to close last night.

See, I'm in the running to become a QA, take on more responsibilities and learn more stations. One of the things that's being asked of me is to come in on Saturdays and Sundays as at 2pm as a 'swing shift' so that the transition can be smoother, restocking can be more efficient and the workload can be more evenly distributed. Well, last night (Friday night), I asked if I could leave by 10 or even 11 since I had to be in early from now on. I also have been having sinus problems and the drainage is affecting my balance and coordination (absolutely an inner ear thing) and I had almost no voice by 9:30. I felt mostly fine, but a little off kilter. And even then I was still cracking jokes and busting ass.

(As an aside, halfway through the evening I sounded like a bad comedian's impersonation of a drag queen, so I even joked about that: Hey, girls, I'm Anita Bidet, and I think we can all agree that a hard man is good to find.)

So, that's my guess: I got sent home early because I lost my voice, had to work early the next day and he threw shade about it. As I also found out during this evening's (Saturday night's) ass-beating of a shift, he wanted to go home early on Friday too, but was told to stay and close, so that might have been a factor.

We closed the kitchen last night at 11:00 and the line cooks were so on point that everyone had cleaned the kitchen and clocked out by 11:30.

Such.

A.

Hardship.

Darth Waiter on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Spent two hours Friday cutting grass with a slasher. Now have a blister that covers the inside of the whole lowest section of my forefinger on my right hand, which stings like a mf. I can't hold a pen to write, can't hold a knife properly, just generally can't do anything involving that part of my hand. It's quite annoying.

• Options
    I did not realize I had missed a spot on my route, until I was back in the office.

The worst part is that this route is on the way back to the office, bye like 200 feet.

What had happened was that the guy I passed it to didn't do my route but did the route of another guy. While scrambling to figure out what to do with the 2nd guy for the rest of the night, we had the brain fart to give him one of my routes but to not give him the route that the first guy didn't do.

You know saying it out like that, it actually seems complicated and now I don't feel so bad

• Options
    Why would that cook guy start being an asshole already? Everyone knows you don't start being an asshole until you've been there at least a month.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    TheStig wrote: »
    Why would that cook guy start being an asshole already? Everyone knows you don't start being an asshole until the end of your probationary period.

Slightly adjusted for those with jobs that have contractual security. Technicians/operators at our company go through a ton of training and then a 3 month probationary period. We had one guy go through months of training and finally got assigned to the field. After 5-6 weeks he started acting like an asshole who should be high-man on the totem pole because of his experience at another company. He no longer works with us.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I swear to god I'm about to just nuke my computer from orbit and reformat with Windows 10. Fucking tired of not being able to install Python packages because "needs C++ 10.0"

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    I swear to god I'm about to just nuke my computer from orbit and reformat with Windows 10. Fucking tired of not being able to install Python packages because "needs C++ 10.0"

Are you... are you using Win7? Just go CentOS and never look back.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Yeah I'm still on windows 7 cause I'm lazy

and when I tried to do the upgrade it went all "your cpu don't work" and so I got lazy and never bothered

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular

Go on, guess.

We closed the kitchen last night at 11:00 and the line cooks were so on point that everyone had cleaned the kitchen and clocked out by 11:30.

Such.

A.

Hardship.

He was pissy about leaving 30 minutes after close?

Dang. When I worked for Smashburger, it was a miracle if we got to leave that soon. We were typically had to make do with one person closing front and two closing kitchen. On a normal night this’d take about an hour (even if you were pretty good). And if you got a larger group a few minutes before close, like sometimes would happen on weekends? Yeah, tack on at least another half-hour, cuz a bunch of your pre-close prep got undone.

I loved my coworkers, but I do not miss that job.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    @hippofant Just to let you know I was browsing this thread and when I scrolled past your avatar my 2-year-old burst into singing 'Twinkle twinkle little star'.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

Go on, guess.

Given the dire nature of the majority of the thread, I was halfway worried it was somehow you.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Today after my second job I am going to spend some time at home watching Dan Hertzfeld's animated shorts to see if any of them are classroom safe/appropriate as I am going to a substitute art teacher at the high school next week before leaving for PAX-South.

I just want to show those kids some weird cartoons.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Today after my second job I am going to spend some time at home watching Dan Hertzfeld's animated shorts to see if any of them are classroom safe/appropriate as I am going to a substitute art teacher at the high school next week before leaving for PAX-South.

I just want to show those kids some weird cartoons.

Show them The Mysterious Stranger.

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Heh, supervisor says we can't talk to each other about the unpaid breaks rule that just came in effect due to minimum wage increases....

Fuck.

That.

Shit.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I'm pretty sure he's legally wrong

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    First link on google: https://www.insperity.com/blog/what-you-can-and-cant-do-when-employees-discuss-wages/
    Recently, the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) decided that an engineering firm had unlawfully fired one of its employees for discussing salary information with co-workers. The firm was ordered to reinstate the fired employee and pay back wages and benefits. The company was also ordered to reverse its policy that prohibited salary discussions and to inform employees of the change.

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    What's funny is that the week before this came in effect, we were given notice (a week before?) and papers to sign. But SOMEBODY was on vacation and management has conveniently forgotten to get me to sign the papers.

So even if we had a NDA.... tough titties :biggrin:

This discussion has been closed.