As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bad redirect from news to comic?

cogit0cogit0 Registered User new member
In a particular range of dates, I'm seeing a problem with the redirect from the news page back to the comic page via the button on the bottom. I'm not sure if this is the same problem that is being posted everywhere else, with the mislinked URL from news back to comic:
http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073833898
http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073838138
and possibly others, I didn't do an exhaustive search.

On 2006/07/25, the button from comic to news links back to the news from the previous days comic:
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/07/25 goes to http://www.penny-arcade.com/2006/07/24
The url shown on the news button mouseover appears to be correct, but the redirect is shifting it back a day, so we get yesterdays news.

The next day, the button to go to the news is correct, but to go back from news to the comic shows yesterdays comic.
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/07/27 to http://www.penny-arcade.com/2006/07/26 links the comic to the correct news article, although the url looks like its a day off. As a result, the news to comic button at the bottom links to the previous days comic, which is actually at http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/07/25

This pattern of the comic linking to news with a URL of the date before, and then that news linking to the previous comic continues until 2006/10/30, at which point it starts working again. The last such occurence of the problem is http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/10/26, which goes to the news at http://www.penny-arcade.com/2006/10/25. The mouseover URL looks correct at the comic, but links to a url date a day before. The news to comic button at the bottom of the news then links to the previous days comic, http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/10/24.

wtf, mate? :|

I'm new 'round these parts, so came up against this problem while i was going through the archive. Sorry for the long post, but this was a freakin annoying bug when trying to get from the news to its associated comic in this date range. I have no clue exactly what is causing the problem, but i think it is buried in the redirect code somewhere, since the mouseover URLs appear to always be correct, and we are just redirected to the actual page with the content. Beyond that, I got nuthin.

Thoughts? Can anyone reproduce this, or am I just on my own with this?
Lemme know! :D

cogit0 on

• craiger316craiger316 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Hey, check out this thread:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073833898

Unfortunately only the users care about these issues, but thanks for the research.

craiger316 on
  • ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    craiger316 wrote:
    Unfortunately only the users care about these issues, but thanks for the research.
    Just because I haven't fixed the problems immediately doesn't mean I don't care about them. Not to be rude, but you might want to stick around a bit longer in the community before you start generalizing the administration. :wink:

Älphämönkëy on
  • craiger316craiger316 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    craiger316 wrote:
    Just because I haven't fixed the problems immediately doesn't mean I don't care about them. Not to be rude, but you might want to stick around a bit longer in the community before you start generalizing the administration. :wink:

I've witnessed these problems and the forum posts outlining the problems for the better part of a year.

So far the response to posts outlining such problems falls into 1 or more of the following:

* "the administration" ignores the post (up until now of course)
    * You get the big "STFU - it's a free site" BS
    * or the ever so classic "Tycho and Gabe don't read the forums"

So I guess that's what in my mind justifies my "Unfortunately only the users care about these issues" response.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to offend (and I probably am at this point), I just gather the problem isn't being taken seriously.

craiger316 on
  • KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    craiger316 wrote:
    Whippy and Tube told him to be quiet last time he complained, so he's bitter. I think it was during your absence from the forums.

Kaputa on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    craiger316 wrote:

There have been problems with the comics and news posts for years now.

I'm not saying you don't care, but it's kind of farcical. Can we start bitching legitimately at the decade mark?

august on
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    This free service is not up to my ridiculous standards! I demand satisfaction!

JAEF on
    edited November 2006
    Please continue putting words in my mouth.

I'm not demanding a damn thing. But it's taking multiple years to fix the links on the site of my favorite webcomic. You know, which is the entie point of the site. I'm at a loss as to why.

august on
    edited November 2006
    august wrote:
    craiger316 wrote:

There have been problems with the comics and news posts for years now.

I'm not saying you don't care, but it's kind of farcical. Can we start bitching legitimately at the decade mark?
    What is entailed in "bitching legitimately?" Are there actual bitches involved? How do we define said bitches' legitimacy? These are important questions... :wink:

I think the problem is $ = $. PA has not paid a lot of money, and they don't have a great search system. Robert is a smart guy, and if he sees a problem, he will put money towards it to fix it.

Älphämönkëy on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    JAEF wrote:
    This free service is not up to my ridiculous standards! I demand satisfaction!

I don't really care about this issue, but how is expecting a link to go where it says it is going to go a "ridiculous standard"? It sounds more to me like expecting it to run like most websites. That's not ridiculous.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    An example of ridiculous standards would be demanding that all comic dialogue is read by James Earl Jones.

Which actually isn't a bad idea.

Javen on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Javen wrote:
    An example of ridiculous standards would be demanding that all comic dialogue is read by James Earl Jones.

Alphamonkey: please get on this ASAP.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    edited November 2006
    Okay, if it's a money problem I understand. It's just been kinda mysterious for a while now.

august on
    edited November 2006
    august wrote:
    Okay, if it's a money problem I understand. It's just been kinda mysterious for a while now.
    I'm saying stay tuned. Things seem to be getting better around these parts. It was a funding issue for a while, now I think the problem is finding a searching system that will scale to PA's demands.

Älphämönkëy on
    edited November 2006
    Drez wrote:
    Javen wrote:

That would be the single greatest piece of code ever written.

Älphämönkëy on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited November 2006
    Due to budget constraints we will have to settle for the built-in Windows speech synthesizer.

Echo on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Drez wrote:
    Javen wrote:

That would be the single greatest piece of code ever written.
    While I was reading this, your av had the Darth Vader helmet, Alpha. :shock:

Coincidence? I think not.

Thanatos on
  • Boot2TheHeadBoot2TheHead Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I'm agreeing with Drez. Just today I see a post for Turkey Tril Ep III and where does it send me when I click the link? Ep II. This broken links/links point to the wrong place issue has been around for quite some time. I don't know why or how to fix it, but, as a web developer/coder I don't see how it could be that difficult. Oh wait, this is PHP :P

Boot2TheHead on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    I'm agreeing with Drez. Just today I see a post for Turkey Tril Ep III and where does it send me when I click the link? Ep II. This broken links/links point to the wrong place issue has been around for quite some time. I don't know why or how to fix it, but, as a web developer/coder I don't see how it could be that difficult. Oh wait, this is PHP :P

This is actually an every-day occourance. Untill both the news post and the comic are up they will point to the previous update.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
    edited November 2006
    Actually, Ruby :wink:

Älphämönkëy on
  • SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    edited November 2006

This is actually an every-day occourance. Untill both the news post and the comic are up they will point to the previous update.

This is one issue that I don't understand. Why doesn't every newspost link to the appropriate comic directly? Why even bother linking to /comic? Today's newspost should link to /comic/2006/11/27.

*Edit*
    It appears it does. Anyhoo.... :whistle:

SeñorAmor on
  • EldwenEldwen Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Today's newspost however seems to link to comic 11/31, but reroutes to the old one.

Funny, I always thought there were 30 days in November. What with today being December 1st and all.

Eldwen on