As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Job] Thread in mourning

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Yeah it's extremely illegal to retaliate against policy/salary discussion, and something that the department of labor is extremely willing and eager to jump on. American businesses have maintained an extremely successful campaign to make sure talking about salary or money makes people feel uncomfortable, though.

• hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Muzzmuzz is Canadiancanadian. Ontarianontarian specifically, I think, cuz of the minimum wage change.

hippofant on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    I can't find a Canadian link because google is swamped with US ones

• PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    https://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/careers/career-advice/life-at-work/can-our-employer-punish-us-for-talking-about-our-pay/article24419968/
    The simple answer is no, your employer can't really do that, at least not directly. But since when do employers always behave in ways they're supposed to?

Edit: also
    https://www.labour.gov.on.ca/english/es/pubs/brochures/br_protecting.php

Psykoma on
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I hear if you go to google.ca at least a third of the top results have to be from Canadian websites.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Hidden salaries are dumb and don't serve anyone but the company. All salaries should be public by law, or at least available to anyone within the company.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    not talking about salaries and things is one of the oldest union busting techniques.
    F that.

I'll tell all my coworkers what I make if they ask. They already know, most of them.

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    We

Need

Strong

Unions

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    Yeah it's extremely illegal to retaliate against policy/salary discussion, and something that the department of labor is extremely willing and eager to jump on. American businesses have maintained an extremely successful campaign to make sure talking about salary or money makes people feel uncomfortable, though.

I can guarantee you my former supervisor would try to guilt trip me if I talked about my pay-rate.

"Oh, so all you care about is money? I thought we were more than that for you."

GUARANTEE.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Javen wrote: »

I can guarantee you my former supervisor would try to guilt trip me if I talked about my pay-rate.

"Oh, so all you care about is money? I thought we were more than that for you."

GUARANTEE.

Kids always ask if I wanna be a teacher and I always say no

Then they ask why I'm subbing

"Cause it's a job"

That makes no sense

"Cause I get paid for doing the job"

Oh...

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I hate it when they do that

"Oh all you care about is money"

Well no it's not all I care about but I can't exactly take pride in my job to fucking Tesco and pick up a pint of milk with it can I

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    The only reason I'm still working here at my second job is that the job itself is very easy.

But I get five to ten hours a week and I:
    * Monitor, set-up and supervise our community center during rentals.
    * Speak on bahalf of the entire department at public events to advertise our upcoming program.
    * Drive around and represent the department while dropping off publications to almost every local business.
    * And I'm about to get trained on performing marketing for the department as well.

I was hired to only do the first one of those. I'm currently paid $12 an hour and I'm the lowest employee for the entire department.

But hey, lets keep throwing duties onto this very part-time dude.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    Solar wrote: »

Well no it's not all I care about but I can't exactly take pride in my job to fucking Tesco and pick up a pint of milk with it can I

The thing that bugs me about this is that if you're an executive it's fine for you to be all about money, it's only the plebs who are supposed to do it for the love of the game

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    I'm really hoping someone'll put together a listing of which companies are being dicks to their employees about the minwage increases, and which aren't

I've heard about one local restaurant that's removing tip allowances to the dishwashers, and another that increased wages across the board for their employees who already were making above minimum

It's nice to know which places to frequent more as I completely stop visiting the ones who treat their employees as a mere expense

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Didn't someone have IT practically pull a kool-aid man through their wall when the pay rates for the company accidentally got sent to their work email/laptop?
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Today after my second job I am going to spend some time at home watching Dan Hertzfeld's animated shorts to see if any of them are classroom safe/appropriate as I am going to a substitute art teacher at the high school next week before leaving for PAX-South.

I just want to show those kids some weird cartoons.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRBNWKYrybXl2Un6-ejwx8g

edited January 2018
    The nice thing about working at a public library is that everybody's pay rate is more or less public knowledge. Everyone is part of the same rigid set of pay scales and raises, so if you know how long someone has worked for the library system, you know roughly how much they're making at their current position.

Even so, I would feel weird if I got into a discussion with one of my employees about my salary. A combination of growing up in rural poverty and your average impostor syndrome result in a general shortness of breath when I consider how much more I make than a hard-working and skilled circulation clerk.

Then again, the raise schedule is cumulative, so I've definitely supervised employees who make more money than I do based on sheer seniority. And they get twice the vacation days as I do, the bastards.

Okay, I'm back on board. Screw the plebs, up with management.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Coming at salary discussions from the angle of being one of the lowest paid workers is... interesting.

People I work for, who know how much I earn and who know I know how much they earn, LOVE to tell me how poor they feel. In my boss’s case I know for a fact her own income alone puts her very close to the top 1% - (and her husband is an executive) - and she’ll sit there with a straight face and bemoan to me how expensive things are and expects me to commiserate with her...

Janson on
  • cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    alright, thread that I ask about etiquette

I know fish in a microwave at work is a war crime. is shrimp ok? I have no sense of smell, so I can't judge for myself and pull it if it becomes a problem

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    Coming at salary discussions from the angle of being one of the lowest paid workers is... interesting.

People I work for, who know how much I earn and who know I know how much they earn, LOVE to tell me how poor they feel. In my boss’s case I know for a fact her own income alone puts her very close to the top 1% - (and her husband is an executive) - and she’ll sit there with a straight face and bemoan to me how expensive things are and expects me to commiserate with her...

Do the math and find out how many hours it takes her to earn your monthly income. Remind her whenever she starts to moan on.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    cabsy wrote: »
    alright, thread that I ask about etiquette

I know fish in a microwave at work is a war crime. is shrimp ok? I have no sense of smell, so I can't judge for myself and pull it if it becomes a problem

In my personal experience, whole reheated shrimp don't really smell that much at all... especially compared to any fish fillet. I'd say you're probably fine, but maybe not if the microwave is like...5 feet away from somebody's desk.

NightDragon on
    Agreed. Most of the fishy microwave smell comes from fatty fish like salmon or tuna. You could easily get away with a whiter fish like tilapia. I don't think microwaved shrimp would have much of a smell.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Microwaving shrimp is okay, but doing it to fish fillets is probably a war crime unless it's tilapia or haddock or something.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    I'm really hoping someone'll put together a listing of which companies are being dicks to their employees about the minwage increases, and which aren't

I've heard about one local restaurant that's removing tip allowances to the dishwashers, and another that increased wages across the board for their employees who already were making above minimum

It's nice to know which places to frequent more as I completely stop visiting the ones who treat their employees as a mere expense

The company I worked for gave their employees who were on the lowest three tiers of hourly wages (like me) a $1 raise early. Like, I think we got that back in October? And then around month later I got promoted, so I went from making $13/hr to $15/hr in just a few weeks.

IKknkhU.gif
  • MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    I hate doing peer reviews and I hate doing self-assessment reviews, but the ones I have to complete are now finally done for the year.

They wouldn't be so bad if I felt comfortable enough to be completely honest on them, like, "you know that our company and our positions are superfluous and we're all likely to get liquidated via budget cuts in the next couple years, right? So instead of trying to divide and conquer us for your overlords, you should team up with us to protect ourselves so we aren't all tossed in the streets."

• thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »
    I hate doing peer reviews and I hate doing self-assessment reviews, but the ones I have to complete are now finally done for the year.

They wouldn't be so bad if I felt comfortable enough to be completely honest on them, like, "you know that our company and our positions are superfluous and we're all likely to get liquidated via budget cuts in the next couple years, right? So instead of trying to divide and conquer us for your overlords, you should team up with us to protect ourselves so we aren't all tossed in the streets."

Peer reviews are crab-bucketing at its finest. I will always hate companies that require me to assess my peers. Like, if management isn't-responsible/doesn't-take-responsibility for: 1) the schedule, and 2) the product output. They sure as shit shouldn't be allowed to pass the buck when it comes to a real management effort - employee assessment.

• MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    I gave everybody glowing reviews, even the people who don't really deserve it. That'll show Management.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Tomorrow I return to work. It is a teacher work day with no students. Students start back Tuesday. Probably a staff meeting in the morning and hopefully free work time afterward.

Things I need to do now that construction is finally done.

1. Clean tables/counter tops.
    2. Find a place to store the unused shelving pieces that are currently residing on some of the shelves in the fantasy section. These shelves were previously unusable during construction. (Possible location being under the laminator in the hallway to the staff lounge.
    3. Shift fantasy back onto those cleared shelves and hopefully get them off the very top shelves. It looks far too crowded there. I need to harshly weed those books next.
    4. Shift non-fiction backwards onto their shelves that had to be cleared for construction and also onto the newly reinstalled shelves.
    5. Figure out any other changes to table arrangements in the library.
    6. Hope the principal doesn't mind that I moved all my cabinets in front of the new wall.
    7. Put display books onto the top of those cabinets against the new well.

I think that's all I need to do.

Should only take me about two hours? I used to be the fastest library shifter west of the Missouri but I'm a little rusty.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I have 2 days (and a half day Wednesday) of work this week before I leave for PAX Wednesday evening. I worked 2 days last week and had off for 10 days before that for the holidays (with 2 sick days mixed in there). I will be taking 3.5 Vacation days but be gone for, basically, a week (Wednesday - Tuesday).

It's been a fun month.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Remember the cook from Old Job who got hired at my new place?

Guess who got let go last night?

Go on, guess.

Don't worry, buddy, you'll bounce back!

Tube wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »

The thing that bugs me about this is that if you're an executive it's fine for you to be all about money, it's only the plebs who are supposed to do it for the love of the game

Cuz corporate America is really just a cult, in a lot of ways.

"Think of your workplace as your second home, your coworkers as your second family, your job as your ONE TRUE PURPOSE in life!"

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I've got some very complex emotions about who I am working for and why (because it's the way to long term financial security for myself).

I ate an engineer
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Spoke with my dad concerning what happened at work and got some advice on what to do, so tomorrow I'll be sending an email and possibly opening Pandora's Box. Because turns out I may have a union grievance for what they did on Friday.

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Do not microwave shrimp at work.

Somebody at work did that last week. It was not pleasant.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

There was an article on NPR a month or so ago about a new bill, or regulation or something that had been proposed to allow restaurant owners to take their wait staff's tips and redistribute it. Ostensibly, it's so they can give it to the kitchen staff as well. They had a restaurant owner on in support of it and he was like "The people in the kitchen are critical to my business. They're the heart of it. I just want to make sure they're making enough."

Dude, that's already in your power! Just pay them more.

steam_sig.png
  • HyperBalladHyperBallad A ball of vivid colour and barely contained emotions Sydney. Lost in time and space.Registered User regular
    To the tune of Rock the Casbah

“Now the boss said to us minion men
    You’ve gotta update the login
    The computers will update away
    We’ve been on Windows 7
    The boss she drives her Jaguar
    She’s been stalkin’ all around our desks
    And the aircon it be broken
    Hot as a radiator grill.

And weeee don’t like it
    Lock the Taskbar. Lock the Taskbar
    Re-freeeesh your email!
    Lock the Taskbar, Lock the Taskbar”

Steam: poetic_gecko.
    2DS/3DS Friend code 0361-7385-2366
    Twitter: @PoeticGecko
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »

This was the first year where I felt obliged to do these reviews, mainly for being in a development lead position (so it was more evaluating performance of subordinates.)

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular

There was an article on NPR a month or so ago about a new bill, or regulation or something that had been proposed to allow restaurant owners to take their wait staff's tips and redistribute it. Ostensibly, it's so they can give it to the kitchen staff as well. They had a restaurant owner on in support of it and he was like "The people in the kitchen are critical to my business. They're the heart of it. I just want to make sure they're making enough."

Don’t waitstaff make less money per hour BECAUSE of the tips?

I mean, I have never worked in a restaurant, but I assumed the kitchen guys got paid the regular rate.

Muzzmuzz wrote: »

Don’t waitstaff make less money per hour BECAUSE of the tips?

I mean, I have never worked in a restaurant, but I assumed the kitchen guys got paid the regular rate.

Depends on the restaurant, I think. At a lot of high-class restaurants, waitstaff end up waking significantly more, because the bills are bigger and so the tips are bigger.

It's really a whole goddamned convoluted mess, and we should just get rid of tipping, and restauranters should fucking pay their staff what they're worth.

Fishman wrote: »
    hippofant Just to let you know I was browsing this thread and when I scrolled past your avatar my 2-year-old burst into singing 'Twinkle twinkle little star'.

Twink with a wink for your 2-year old!

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I just found out that a friend of the gf who's working at a university in the Netherlands gets 42 paid vacation days.

Well that explains how she's traveling so much.

Jesus, I work in the wrong country

This discussion has been closed.