As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Critique on REDONE Shaman anatomy

Drakkar11Drakkar11 Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Artist's Corner
This was the first one (no reference)
wolf-fat001copy.jpg

This is the one I redid today with a photo of me after scrapping the whole first image. Please critique the new one. I don't wanna have to scrap another after not making sure everything is going smoothly from the start.
anatomy.jpg

Drakkar11 on

• Options
    mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    To be honest, the severely distorted anatomy is distracting; is it intentional? If so, I'd recommend against that style. I'd suggest working the anatomy out first, before beginning any painting.

mattharvest on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Please critique anatomy of my new figure drawing!

Drakkar11 on
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Way better. Huge improvement. Just shows how much drawing from a reference helps. I would work on defining the edges more, like on the toes. The left knee also looks really big, like really tall. In fact that whole leg looks like it's pushed too far to the left. Good work, though.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The difference is so big that it makes me wonder, did you trace over a picture?

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Someone's been watching Avatar too much :P

DeeLock on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    DeeLock wrote: »
    Someone's been watching Avatar too much :P

There's no such thing as "too much" Avatar.

Dude, your forearms is still too long and your hand is still too small.

Tam on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    No tracing just careful looking. Without reference I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing, but as you can see I did better with measuring and what not. Not sure why I even tried it without a reference at first. Also, what is avatar?

Drakkar11 on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    This is why you don't use photo reference when you're working on figures with depth. The extreme perspective on the forward leg, especially when combined with the color/dead shadows make it very, very obvious that this picture was painted from a photographic reference (I'm guessing you used a flash... Don't take reference photos with a flash.)

There is a line to walk between following photo reference to a tee and using it as a more abstract point of reference for help constructing imaginary figures. Rather than redraw the shaman with reference to guide you, what you've done here is simply made an outright figure study of yourself. It looks completely different than the original character.

I also highly suggest you get in the habit of working your entire painting at once, rather than finishing off one element at a time. In this case, you've got a refined figure in a white vacuum and you're going to try to paint an environment around him. It is going to be difficult to convince any viewer that the figure and environment are coherent when you work like this.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Scosglen wrote: »
    Rather than redraw the shaman with reference to guide you, what you've done here is simply made an outright figure study of yourself. It looks completely different than the original character.
    I understood it would be completely different than the original character, I just wanted the anatomy to be correct, whatever the character looked like since Im the only person I can really use for reference and as you can see from the first one I have no business trying to draw a figure from my head. As for the shadows and stuff I plan to take another pic with the lighting I want then reference that over the one I already did. I know what you mean by photo reference though, my art teacher always says that there is such a big difference between photo and real life, but I cant really do it from life so I just gotta work with a photo. Thanks though for everyones critique so far

Drakkar11 on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Scosglen wrote: »
    I also highly suggest you get in the habit of working your entire painting at once, rather than finishing off one element at a time. In this case, you've got a refined figure in a white vacuum and you're going to try to paint an environment around him. It is going to be difficult to convince any viewer that the figure and environment are coherent when you work like this.

What Scosglen said. Painting in a background last for an exisiting figure is an excercise in frustration. I used to do a lot of my work that way and my pictures would usually end up looking like my characters were floating in front of the backgrounds.

This second pic is definitely a big step forward, good use of references is usually the best way to improve the look of your work.

Brolo on