As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Job] Thread in mourning

1939495969799»

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I used to be able to take a month off at a time to visit Mori when I lived in the UK.

My siblings always seem to be on vacation, too, and it’s... ugh. I already have issues with my position in the family, that doesn’t help!

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Today's the day most of my colleagues (and the rest of the country) go back to work after Xmas / NYE, but as my leave entitlement had built up to 8 weeks or something, I get get another entire week to bring it back down to my contractually encouraged not-more-than 6.5 weeks.

Spent most of the day building Lego with the boys and playing all the Civ with my wife.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I'm still on my Christmas leave.

I've got another week off.

I only work 4 days a week, and with Christmas and NY's being on a monday, and we get Boxing Day and Jan 2 as holidays as well, Taking a whole month off has cost me 12 annual leave days. Out of the 36 that I had because even while I was on maternity leave in 2016, I still earned annual leave. It gets paid out at a lesser rate, but I still earned it and leave from this year (last year I guess) as well.

I'll go back to work next monday and still have about 10 annual leave days left.

I love this country.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Janson wrote: »
    I used to be able to take a month off at a time to visit Mori when I lived in the UK.

My siblings always seem to be on vacation, too, and it’s... ugh. I already have issues with my position in the family, that doesn’t help!

The difference between US (and Canada) and Europe in terms of vacation time is bonkers.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    My company is giving everyone 3 full weeks next fiscal year (March), which is nice and a week more then most places.

• Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    I have 30 days paid vacation. I could definitely use 42. Don't think I could deal with something like 20.

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Remember the cook who got let go for 'attitude issues' after two shifts?

Guess who showed up for a shift tonight and was promptly told to fuck off and never contact the company again for employment?

Go.

On.

Guess.

Who.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I err?

Did they not make it clear when they let him go?

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    wow.

• Options
    I feel like this is the world's worst repetitive punchline, but it's the truth; I swear it by my captivating hazel eyes.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I get currently 1 hour per 9.3 hours I work of PTO
    So yeah I have a ton

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Grobian wrote: »
    I have 30 days paid vacation. I could definitely use 42. Don't think I could deal with something like 20.

Many jobs in the U.S. offer 0!

20 is more than most will ever have.

• Options
    Weaver wrote: »
    Do not microwave shrimp at work.

Somebody at work did that last week. It was not pleasant.

People do it all the time where I work
    I sadly have become used to it

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular

Yup! When I was a manager at the theater I got some amount per hour worked that worked out to 40 (a single week) per year. GameStop gives 2 weeks to salaried managers and fuck all to everyone else (or it did back when I was a full time 3rd key). Where I work now gave 80 hours (10 normal work days) but will now give 120 (15 normal work days. 12 for my department because we work 10 hour days). We also use to get floating holidays for having to work paid holidays. We no longer get those, which sucks, but we still get an extra 8 hour of OT for the holiday if you work it.

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »

You've become accustomed to way too much bullshit.

But that's just my opinion.

• Options

I know it's the price one must pay it seems

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

it's a whole new level of Stockholm syndrome, working for that company.

• Options
    Bucketman wrote: »

Yup! When I was a manager at the theater I got some amount per hour worked that worked out to 40 (a single week) per year. GameStop gives 2 weeks to salaried managers and fuck all to everyone else (or it did back when I was a full time 3rd key). Where I work now gave 80 hours (10 normal work days) but will now give 120 (15 normal work days. 12 for my department because we work 10 hour days). We also use to get floating holidays for having to work paid holidays. We no longer get those, which sucks, but we still get an extra 8 hour of OT for the holiday if you work it.

What is alarming is when I visit the bank it's never the same people tellers or officers in it. Not even the guard at the door is the same
    But Gamestop is the same {yes they have a guard as well because people rob them all the time here} I really never see the same person there yet they know the job so I kind of wondered do they make them work at different stores thoughout the week?

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

I get 25, but can "buy" another five. Which is effectively means you take them as unpaid leave but it's unpaid at your January salary when pay rises are in April. So it's slightly better than unpaid. Slightly.

I have friends in the NHS (not doctors/nurses, those jobs are crap) and local government who have thirty-odd days and earn more the longer they stay. That's the dream.

Just before my mum retired she had 36 days holiday a year and only worked three and a half days a week.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Sometimes I daydream about taking a job in New York and working for a big company (it's happened before for someone from my university in my field, sponsored to move etc) and have an ~Adventure~.

But then I think about the realities of holiday days, healthcare, cost etc and I don't think I'd accept something like that.

• Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    I get 29 days PTO at my new position increasing to 31 after 10 years as well as public holidays (8 a year) and flexi time which is another 1.5 days a month.

Working for the government has some perks.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I get 30

And I could work up hours for another five and take those as full days, max one per month

But I don't because fuck that

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I think mine works out to 27 and I could buy another 5. And I'm allowed to carry over 5 days from the previous year. So this year I had 32 which was nice/useful.

This discussion has been closed.