As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[D&D 5E] Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I am adoring the double wrong thread posts.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Arthil wrote: »
    Pretty much yeah. I didn't have to take the rolled stats and he rolled up three sets of them.

I mean it looks somewhat flat I guess?
    But rolling 3d6 for stats is not some terrible offense.
    Geth roll 3#3d6 for an excuse

Geth roll 6#3d6 for another try

an excuse:
    3#3d6 3 # 11 [3d6=6, 2, 3] 5 [3d6=2, 2, 1] 14 [3d6=5, 3, 6]

discrider on
    Geth roll 6#3d6 for rolling dice is fun

rolling dice is fun:
    6#3d6 6 # 12 [3d6=3, 6, 3] 14 [3d6=6, 6, 2] 16 [3d6=5, 5, 6] 8 [3d6=3, 2, 3] 8 [3d6=6, 1, 1] 13 [3d6=5, 6, 2]

Geth roll 6#3d6 for third time's the charm

third time's the charm:
    6#3d6 6 # 7 [3d6=1, 2, 4] 10 [3d6=3, 2, 5] 9 [3d6=3, 1, 5] 8 [3d6=4, 2, 2] 11 [3d6=6, 1, 4] 12 [3d6=4, 3, 5]

edited January 2018
    Perhaps it's not 3#6#3d6 :P
    But yeah, use whatever you like.
    +(Roughly 3/64 of 3#6#3d6 turbing out a char with no stat below 10 before bonus

discrider on
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Point buy is closer to 4d6 drop lowest, isn't it?

sig.gif
  • FryFry Registered User regular
    STR/WIS/CHA stats says paladin or cleric to me, but you do you.

Maybe you can convince your DM to let you add your STR to melee spell attacks? Like, I'm going to punch you with this Shocking Grasp so hard.

• PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Do either cleric or paladin benefit from having high STR and high other stat? I thought those were either-or STR users

sig.gif
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    Do either cleric or paladin benefit from having high STR and high other stat? I thought those were either-or STR users

If you wanna play a "Warrior Priest" Cleric, or any Paladin, then yeah STR is important for the fighting side. They both want Wisdom and Charisma as other stats. Paladins kind of want like 4 stats (STR/CON/WIS/CHA) but Clerics can get away with just two (WIS/STR or WIS/CHA), though it's best if the cleric has all 3 obviously.

• FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Geth, roll 4d6l1 for Strength

Guess I did that wrong.

Strength:
    4d6l1 2 [4d6l1=[2], 5, 6, 6]

Fuselage on
    o4n72w5h9b5y.png
    Rend wrote: »

If you wanna play a "Warrior Priest" Cleric, or any Paladin, then yeah STR is important for the fighting side. They both want Wisdom and Charisma as other stats. Paladins kind of want like 4 stats (STR/CON/WIS/CHA) but Clerics can get away with just two (WIS/STR or WIS/CHA), though it's best if the cleric has all 3 obviously.

nice. Are those non strength stats useful in combat, out, or both?

sig.gif
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    Rend wrote: »

nice. Are those non strength stats useful in combat, out, or both?

Actually I'm wrong, Paladin doesn't really use wisdom in 5e. Charisma is the Paladin spellcasting stat, and utility stat (for divine sense)

Clerics operate almost entirely on Wisdom, mechanically speaking.

Okay so Paladins need strength and charisma, clerics need neither?

sig.gif
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Okay so Paladins need strength and charisma, clerics need neither?

Clerics still want strength if they are going to be in melee.

But you can certainly build/play a Cleric who primarily uses dexterity in combat.

And if you pick up Shillelagh cantrip, you can use Wisdom in combat.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    So my usual DM invited me to join a campaign he's doing via Roll20, because I wasn't even sure what I wanted to play he decided to roll out three sets of stats for me to choose between. In the end I chose:

15 STR 12 DEX 12 CON 10 INT 15 WIS 15 CHA which is after the racial of Goliath and I went with a Wild Magic Sorcerer. I'm not entirely sure on where to go with this character just yet aside from possibly dipping into Hexblade to get medium armor/shields. The one downside is that with an odd CHA it means I'll need 2.5 ASI's to cap it off.

I can't believe that your DM isn't using point buy! What an arglebargle! :rotate:

Really, though, those are perfectly serviceable stats. The worst is when you roll stats and end up with, like, 12s and 10s. Just ... nothing interesting.

• AbbalahAbbalah Registered User regular
    Point buy is closer to 4d6 drop lowest, isn't it?

Yes. If you for some reason buy a completely flat stat array with point buy, you get 3 12s and 3 13s before racial mods. (An average of 12.5)

4d6 drop lowest has an average result of about 12.25, which is pretty close.

3d6 straight-up has an average result of 10.5

the actual stat average of real point buy arrays tends to be a little bit lower (between 11.5 and 12), but that's just because people are paying extra points to get optimal arrays.
    So my usual DM invited me to join a campaign he's doing via Roll20, because I wasn't even sure what I wanted to play he decided to roll out three sets of stats for me to choose between. In the end I chose:

15 STR 12 DEX 12 CON 10 INT 15 WIS 15 CHA which is after the racial of Goliath and I went with a Wild Magic Sorcerer. I'm not entirely sure on where to go with this character just yet aside from possibly dipping into Hexblade to get medium armor/shields. The one downside is that with an odd CHA it means I'll need 2.5 ASI's to cap it off.

An array that starts you with no 16s even after racial adjustments is a little rough, but 3 15s will be pretty reasonable once you get your first ASI - remember that you can split the 2 stat bumps, so you can just use your first one to take CHA and something else both to 16.

If you're not attached to being a Goliath, consider taking Human - you can either do the standard human to bump all those odd numbers to even, or variant and use your bonus feat to grab one of the +1 stat feats to accomplish the same basic thing, which would go a long way towards making that array actively better than what you could get out of point buy rather than just workable.

Hexblade is real good, but keep in mind that one of its major benefits is to let you make melee attacks with your CHA instead of your STR, so early on it's got a lot of overlap with your high STR. Probably a very good dip once your CHA starts to outpace your STR, though.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Posting this in here as well.
    Zonugal wrote:
    Alright, I need some advice for the next encounter in my group's monthly D&D game.

Our DM is very new to running games (this is his first campaign) and he's been very good, but he doesn't exactly understand the CR system.

So, through my owl familiar's eyes, I scouted ahead and saw that a Drider is within an pseudo-open tower, supervising a kidnapped air-elemental that we have to rescue/free.

Our party is 4th-level with:
    -- A Human 'Swashbuckler' Rogue
    -- A Halfling 'Swashbuckler' Rogue
    -- A Wild Elf 'Light' Cleric
    -- A Warforged 'Beastmaster' Revised-Ranger
    -- A Wild Elf 'Berserker' Barbarian
    -- A High Elf 'Bladesinger' Wizard

Now I reviewed the Drider's stats, its a CR 6, and ooh boy is it going to be a tough fight (and I presume it will possibly have large spiders with it as infantry).

I'm thinking if we can exploit its vulnerability to sunlight we'll be in a better spot, but I'm feeling the best course of action might be for the party to distract the Drider while we just try to rescue the air-elemental & then flee?

Thoughts?

• SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    So the array rolled, before Goliath was:
    Str 13 Dex 12 Con 11 Int 10 Wis 15 Cha 15

I'd be really happy with a roll like that (To 'buy' that array would cost 32 points, so better than a Point Buy array). Making a Goliath caster is non-optimal, but those are still strong stats. Echoing Abbalah, but if you're not totally sold on Goliath you could go for Variant Human (+1any, +1any, & a potential +1 Feat), or even Half-Elf (+2 Cha, and +1 any, +1 any) to tease out better ability modifiers.

Schadenfreude on
    Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote:
    Alright, I need some advice for the next encounter in my group's monthly D&D game.

Our DM is very new to running games (this is his first campaign) and he's been very good, but he doesn't exactly understand the CR system.

So, through my owl familiar's eyes, I scouted ahead and saw that a Drider is within an pseudo-open tower, supervising a kidnapped air-elemental that we have to rescue/free.

Now I reviewed the Drider's stats, its a CR 6, and ooh boy is it going to be a tough fight (and I presume it will possibly have large spiders with it as infantry).

I'm thinking if we can exploit its vulnerability to sunlight we'll be in a better spot, but I'm feeling the best course of action might be for the party to distract the Drider while we just try to rescue the air-elemental & then flee?

Thoughts?
    [/quote]

Assuming the party is fresh up on HP and spells...off the top of my head I don't think you'll have as much trouble as you think you'll have.

I have learned over the years that PC's can punch many levels above their weight wrt CR.

edited January 2018
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    Zonugal wrote:

Thoughts?

Assuming the party is fresh up on HP and spells...off the top of my head I don't think you'll have as much trouble as you think you'll have.

I have learned over the years that PC's can punch many levels above their weight wrt CR.

My initial concern would be the Drider's AC of 19.

We're going to have some trouble hitting that guy.

Zonugal on
    If it's alone, you'll be fine, and if you can get its sunlight vulnerability going off it'll be a cakewalk. If it has friends things might get dicier depending on the quality and quantity of the friends.

Its attack bonus isn't especially high, its damage routine isn't anything to write home about. If it's sunlight vulnerability is turned on, it's basically attacking at a +2, which means it'll have serious trouble landing hits on anything with decent AC (those rogues presumably have 16 AC at this point - it'll hit them half the time in the dark and a quarter of the time in sunlight, less if they have shields). It can cast Faerie Fire to bump its threat level, but that'll be neutralized in the sunlight and it's a concentration spell on a monster with a mediocre con save, so even if it lands you'll probably pummel it off pretty quickly (and it has to give up 3 full attacks to cast it at all)

You also have a huge party - CR is designed around the assumption of a 4-man party, and 6 level 4 characters are likely to significantly outperform 4 level 6 characters simply by dint of action economy, especially with a comp that doesn't include many Extra Attack classes.

Your biggest problem is just that it has relatively high AC and a bunch of hit points. Find a way to reliably neutralize those advantages (advantage on attacks, berserker rage/reckless attack, having the wizard/cleric blast it with save spells instead of attack spells [its saves are uniformly shitty - its best is con at +4]) and it'll fold up like a lawn chair.

You have a couple people who can cast protection from poison to further ablate it's damage output, but probably not enough to cover the whole gigantic party+animal buddy. Still, you might get some mileage out of putting it on the barbarian and then having him reckless attack, since the barbarian will then be the easiest thing to for it to actually hit.

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Yeah my immediate thought is that party should wreck a drider.

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Yeah 6v1 is tough on the one. If you can get any kind of debuff on it, it's toast.

I have a question when looking on the Roll20 compendium for monsters

https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Monsters:Drider#h-Drider

In the stat block there are lines for roll 0, roll 1, roll 2, and roll 3. What do those mean?

Also, regarding this whole point-buy//attribute issue, I just use the pre-designed stat array and I love it.

15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8

Works for me!

I didn't realize we were due for a UA but one just showed up

https://media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/UA-3Subclasses0108.pdf

3 Subclasses: Circle of Spores, Brute Martial Archetype, and School of Invention.

• Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    I keep looking up monsters from mythology I want to use only for me to find D&D hasn't featured them but Pathfinder has, such as tatzelwurms, nuckalavee and Cetus. I guess I'll try to convert them from Pathfinder to 5E.

I have always thought it was weird that D&D ignores a lot of monsters from real world mythology and folklore.

• SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Zonugal wrote:

Thoughts?

Probably, yes. But its not impossible at all, and if the dice go your way it will be easy. As has been said, do whatever you can get to gain advantage and whatever buffs you can muster and you'll be alright.

Zonugal wrote:

Thoughts?

Probably, yes. But its not impossible at all, and if the dice go your way it will be easy. As has been said, do whatever you can get to gain advantage and whatever buffs you can muster and you'll be alright.

bane and blindness will crush anything with saves that low

sig.gif
    Circle of Spores is extremely weird and gross. I predict few people will like it but those people really like it.

Brute is brutal critical to the Champion's improved critical. Pretty bland but probably effective.

School of Invention is partly wild magic, partly the lore master, and also has a random suit of magic armor? Odd combination.

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    Circle of Spores is extremely weird and gross. I predict few people will like it but those people really like it.

Brute is brutal critical to the Champion's improved critical. Pretty bland but probably effective.

School of Invention is partly wild magic, partly the lore master, and also has a random suit of magic armor? Odd combination.

The archano mechanical armor sounds kinda cool, but is kinda rough as it isn't better than mage armor. It only serves as a means by which to limit alchemical casting. I Like the thought process, but the subclass seems like it needs some more time in the oven.

Sleep wrote: »

The archano mechanical armor sounds kinda cool, but is kinda rough as it isn't better than mage armor. It only serves as a means by which to limit alchemical casting. I Like the thought process, but the subclass seems like it needs some more time in the oven.

It also looks like an attempt to rework the Lore Wizard.

Circle of Spores:

Halo of Spores seems good but it's weird and awkward that it has you using your reaction during your own turn.

Circle gives you chill touch for free as a circle spell at level 1, but you don't get a circle until level 2.

Having a circle built around being a non-wildshaping melee druid is interesting.

Fungal Infestation seems like it's gonna make a lot of minions to track - seems weird that after all the hullabaloo about the problems posed by summoner druids we got a UA that says "what if druids could get permanent minions via Animate Dead, and also got a minion for an hour every time they killed a guy?"

I think it's pretty funny that we got a fungal necromancer druid build as our UA like two days after we were talking about whether druid liches should be a thing. Maybe the dev team reads the thread.

Brute:

Brute Force is solid, if uninteresting. "What if we gave Fighters Sneak Attack, but watered it down per-hit so that it dealt about the same damage but spread across the fighter's multiple attacks?"

Brutish Durability is real good - it's basically the level 6 feature from Paladin, but instead of getting your CHA mod to all saves, you roll a die that averages to what the paladin's cha mod probably is.

Devastating Critical is...powerful when it goes off, but all the options you could build to increase your crit chance and make an actual critfishing build are locked behind other fighter archetypes (mostly Samurai and Battlemaster), which is a shame.

School of Invention:

Looks like it's supposed to replace the Loremaster, which is a shame because the Loremaster was cool and this is a weird awkward mishmash of things that feels like somebody got told they needed a third subclass an hour before the article was scheduled to go live. The fact that you can spend your action and spell slot but accidentally cast nothing if you roll poorly seems like a needless feel-bad on an ability that is already unreliable as hell, and, hilariously, while this seems like the Loremaster replacement it looks like they failed to fix the part of Loremaster that was actually broken (the fact that you can get outsize value out of magic missile by increasing its damage by 2d10 per missile).

Yeah circle of spores is a cool niche. Necromancy+melee druid. Would be great for Underdark-themed druids.

What are the ways other than champion fighter to increase your crit range? 1st level Hexblades can do it.

For invention, the suit feels tacked-on. It's required to cast your reckless casting, but it doesn't actually do anything. If my reckless magic math is right, you have a 16% chance to cast two spells, but a 3% chance to cast no spells. The spell lists are at least good, most of the things on there are things you'd want to cast in combat. They did keep my favorite lore master feature that lets you swap out a prepared spell. They got rid of the hideously broken "make all spells INT saves" one.

• SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    They got rid of the hideously broken "make all spells INT saves" one.

I thought you could only do that for one cast per long/short rest.

steam_sig.png
    The biggest issue I have with the Brute subclass for the Fighter is it is BORING!!!

edited January 2018
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    They got rid of the hideously broken "make all spells INT saves" one.

I thought you could only do that for one cast per long/short rest.

Yeah, once per short rest. It's a very good feature and a core reason to take Loremaster, but in terms of power level it's about on par with 'give an enemy disadvantage on their next spell save once per short rest', which is a perfectly reasonable feature to have - Loremaster just does it in a way that feels like it gives the player more agency by letting them feel like they solved a puzzle by deciding that the pixie would probably have a shitty STR save. It's actually a really good piece of design.

The busted part of loremaster is that you can use a two first-level spell slots to cast a magic missile that deals 3d4+6d10+3 damage with no attack roll, and that part is arguably still intact in Invention Wizard, just costing a 2nd-level slot instead now.
    The biggest issue I have with the Brute subclass for the Fighter is it is BORING!!!

It's also pretty funny that it guides you heavily towards a critfishing build by rewarding you for making extra attacks (which critfishing wants in order to give itself more crits) and then giving you better crits directly.

And a key piece of any good critfishing build at this point is Elven Accuracy, since rolling 3d20 for attacks expands your effective crit range significantly.

And Elven Accuracy doesn't work on Strength attacks - but nothing in Brute actually requires strength either.

Which means the good builds for your Brute fighter are all going to be dainty high-dex sharpshooter elves.

Abbalah on
    As a huge fan of Zuggtmoy I could see the Circle of Spores druids secretly being worshipers of her, with all their spells powered by "nature spirits" actually being of demonic origin. I mean, c'mon, a druid circle that is okay with undeath? That's suspicious!

I'm adding these to my setting right now.

edited January 2018
    I also came up with an archfey for my setting today (inspired by the Whale Mother goddess from the 3.5E Stormwrack supplement).

The seas are the domain of Darfella, the Whalesong Muse. She appears either as a particularly large orca whale or as a giant mermaid-like creature with an orca's tail. It is said Darfella taught the first whales to sing, and even today she has a particular fondness for the songs of bards. Her nemesis is Nuckelavee, a centaur-like former archfey who wishes to visit death, destruction and pestilence to everything that lives above the waves. Darfella usurped his dominion and banished Nuckelavee to the seas of the Shadowfell.

Hexmage-PA on
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    had a really good session of 5e this last weekend. 3 of the players are totally new to RPGs and of course we are all new to 5e D&D.

Something that helped a lot compared to the previous session was taking the time to make cards for the spellcasters for all their spells. The 5e players handbook is a trashfire when it comes to trying to look up anything during play. I could pull my 1e Players Handbook off the shelf and find a spell description more easily. The whole 'natural language' thing in the spell descriptions continues to be a pain in the ass (the usual thing of needing to re-explain how any non-direct-damage spell works every single time someone wants to cast it) but at least all the info about ranges and damage and such was ready to hand.

I ended up just giving the Wild Magic sorcerer an extra known spell because the class features for that are some of the worst designed trash I have ever seen. They are just plain annoying. You have major class features that say "if the DM allows it do X". No suggestion whatsoever as to why or when the DM should. It puts a bunch of headache and bookkeeping for the major class feature of a PC onto the DM (dumping on the DM being one of 5e defining characteristics of course). Also the wild magic surge table is pretty sad stuff from what I remember from 2nd edition. How this class made it into the PHB despite the long playtest / feedback period I don't know.

On a positive note, this video was really genuinely useful. Lot of good ideas and suggestions for where to mine more good ideas.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoELQ7px9ws

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Wild Magic depends on your DM being a good sport and having you roll enough is all. Well... You also are given all the tools to -force- it to happen too as the player.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil