As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I don't really wanna do the work today [Job Thread]

Goose!Goose! That's me, honeyShow me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhYWNPzBuiM

You might have a job. You might be there right now, reading this, like I am as I type this. This thread is to talk about your job.

OR, you might be looking for a job. You might be going for any interview today/tomorrow/later. This thread is for you to talk about that, too! Don't forget to ask for good luck/congratulations.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I am working from home today

I feel so crappy I just want to go to bed

gotta drive down a hundred miles tonight in freezing rain for a meeting tomorrow or wednesday

blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    I had plans for today. Plans that are not going to happen because I got no sleep last night.
    So plans are pushed to tomorrow, and today is a lab cleaning day. I can do things that don't involve the brain today.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • NoughtNought Registered User regular
    -snip-

I think that's all I need to do.

Should only take me about two hours? I used to be the fastest library shifter west of the Missouri but I'm a little rusty.

They called him Trinity.

The fastest shifter in the West.

The right hand of the Devil.

But he had half a year of construction and then he got Rusty.

Rusty didn't even see it comming.

One moment he was reshelving books, the next he got half a shelf of Fantasy books to the back of the head.

Two seconds in Narnia and the rest in Heaven.

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    I read that as library shitter and was wondering if there was a secret epidemic of library shittings

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    The blizzard has made parking at my job, already quite the hassle, a nightmare this morning. The guard rail we (the office workers have spots reserved for us along is usually taken up by teachers anyway, even though there's signs posted along the guardrail (but they're at knee level so most just ignore them). Today it's taken up by mini-mountains of snow. I usually wind up parking on the street, and thankfully the firehouse across the street from us cleared some spots across from their parking lot. I stuck my car there.

• PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    Goddammit, either someone keeps giving out my direct number or there's an internal switchboard redirecting to me, but it is stressing me out. After my last job I was happy to have a job where I'm not really customer facing (if you don't know how to contact me by email, you shouldn't be contacting me by phone).

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I have a phone interview in 25 minutes. I feel very unprepared and part of me just doesn't want to answer because the person said it will take 30 to 45 minutes. That is a long time.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Got a phone call from one of the doctors that the internet is unbearable out in our remote office.

Our remote office is pretty much in the wilderness in some little town outside of syracuse.

Not sure what he wants me to do about that.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Got a phone call from one of the doctors that the internet is unbearable out in our remote office.

Our remote office is pretty much in the wilderness in some little town outside of syracuse.

chase the raccoons off of the satellite

• DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    There's nothing quite like the joy of trying to figure out how to roll forward year end schedules that you've never done before and which you have sparse notes on. Bonus round, the guy who did them for the last 5 years is gone.

Daimar on
    steam_sig.png
  • RadiationRadiation Registered User regular

Ping his IPs and monkey around in his caches.
    You know, internet wizard stuff.

PSN: jfrofl
  • PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    edited January 2018

Send a group email to everyone there saying that whoever is downloading inappropriate materials needs to stop.

Edit: it's probably him since he's the one complaining.

Peccavi on
    I don't think the phone interview went well. The email said 30 to 45 minutes for the call and it only lasted 15 minutes.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

edited January 2018
    Well there's only 2 other people there besides him so I'm sure he could figure it out of that was the case.

It's more likely that the large school that's out in the middle of bumfuckia nowhere gets priority for the time warner bandwidth down there. TWC/Spectrum won't tell me yes or no, but it always seems to coincide with school being back in session when they experience problems.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    I took a personal day today so I'm just taking care of my cat!

edited January 2018
    Well there's only 2 other people there besides him so I'm sure he could figure it out of that was the case.

It's more likely that the large school that's out in the middle of bumfuckia nowhere gets priority for the time warner bandwidth down there. TWC/Spectrum won't tell me yes or no, but it always seems to coincide with school being back in session when they experience problems.

Could you set up a test for bandwidth. Presumably you pay x dollars for y bits of data a second/minute. See what you get when school is in and what you get when they aren't.
    Send data to TWC/Spectrum and be like wtf you guys?

Also might be worthwhile to see what you have as far as the pipe is at that office and then looking at who is using what as far as bandwidth is concerned. Any oddities get to have a nice review session of the internet policy.

Radiation on
  • CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Came in this morning to a water main break in the intersection outside of my office. A good 12+ inches of water in the road and flooding the surrounding parking lots. Fixed and cleaned up within an hour but all the water has backed up the sewer system, so no toilets and questionable running water.

The alarm system also has a faulty sensor which has had to be disabled so the system doesn't beep every 30 seconds.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
    edited January 2018
    Radiation wrote: »

Could you set up a test for bandwidth. Presumably you pay x dollars for y bits of data a second/minute. See what you get when school is in and what you get when they aren't.
    Send data to TWC/Spectrum and be like wtf you guys?

Also might be worthwhile to see what you have as far as the pipe is at that office and then looking at who is using what as far as bandwidth is concerned. Any oddities get to have a nice review session of the internet policy.

That's where they get you.

It's "Up to 50 MBit/sec"

We're getting a WAN connection built into there which gives us guaranteed 10 MBit/sec which should be an improvement over the 56k speeds we're currently getting. Plus I'll no longer need to manage a VPN and routers down there.

E: also if you've visited the Sysadmin thread in moes, you'll find out that I rule my users with an iron fist in terms of 'acceptable use' for computers.

bowen on
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    I don't think the phone interview went well. The email said 30 to 45 minutes for the call and it only lasted 15 minutes.

Eh, you never know with phone interviews. Could be bad, could be they heard what they needed in that 15 minutes.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Librarian Update:

Got fantasy sorted.
    Got tables cleaned and rearranged.
    Started shifting Non-fiction. Decided to move all of it down, freeing some shelves at the end for more manga.
    Principal asked if I wanted more laptops, I said I did not need them but could use a newer projector, or maybe even one of the fancy Promethean boards the new rooms off the library have. He said sure. I said, really? They are like $6,000. He said sure. Having Title 1 money to burn is nice sometimes.

Current status. Eating some Mexican cake thing that seems to be some kind of chocolate covered twinky?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Librarian Update:

Got fantasy sorted.
    Started shifting Non-fiction. Decided to move all of it down, freeing some shelves at the end for more manga.
    Principal asked if I wanted more laptops, I said I did not need them but could use a newer projector, or maybe even one of the fancy Promethean boards the new rooms off the library have. He said sure. I said, really? They are like $6,000. He said sure. Having Title 1 money to burn is nice sometimes.

Current status. Eating some Mexican cake thing that seems to be some kind of chocolate covered twinky?

Life is good?

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Remote in to the computer he is using, fire up hackertyper, then reset the computer and blame everything on the ISP?

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Librarian Update:

Got fantasy sorted.

Life is good?

Yeah it's pretty okay.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

Remote in to the computer he is using, fire up hackertyper, then reset the computer and blame everything on the ISP?

Way ahead of you on that last step.

I found out that he thought the WAN thing was already in place at the beginning of the new year. But it won't be live until March so I have no idea where he got that information.

Fuck. These Promethean boards as really cool. They are like SMART boards except instead of needing a projector and having to deal with calibration and your body casting a shadow on the screen, it is just one huge touch screen TV. 70+" in 4k.

• LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    One of my classmates never reads the brief for our assignments. She likes to call/message me the day before the hand-in asking something like "have you handed yours in? isn't it today? I'm confused, what does point one mean..." so then I have a mild panic attack, have to double check the dates and then correct her. And double check with my other classmates that she's wrong.

Every time she does this she makes me think I've handed in work late and ruined my grade, and every time I must get a little closer to death.

• DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    One of my classmates never reads the brief for our assignments. She likes to call/message me the day before the hand-in asking something like "have you handed yours in? isn't it today? I'm confused, what does point one mean..." so then I have a mild panic attack, have to double check the dates and then correct her. And double check with my other classmates that she's wrong.

Every time she does this she makes me think I've handed in work late and ruined my grade, and every time I must get a little closer to death.

"accidentally" block her number.

steam_sig.png
  • LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Daimar wrote: »

This is probably a good idea.

There was someone the spitting image of Tube sat across from me in the library today, it was very freaky.

There was someone the spitting image of Tube sat across from me in the library today, it was very freaky.

Tube's not actually a hedgehog?

Or do you live in a Redwall-esque land and you're all animals who can talk?

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

QQg4i7B.jpg

edited January 2018
    Anyone have any opinion on SNHU? I'm thinking about going back for my bachelors but I need something that fits my schedule and none of the local colleges have anything that's remotely good for that (plus I hate going to lectures). E: I'd be online only.

Not having a BS is severely limiting my job prospects as of late and I'm sick of places like Lockheed going "you are almost our perfect candidate but we probably won't be able to hire you at your skill level without the bachelors" and I am not willing to take the almost $25k paycut to go back to that, even if it meant in 10 years I'd have more opportunities.

bowen on
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »

Don'tm @ me on ee fourms or ee send offm alourms awl about ee

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    3clipse wrote: »

Don'tm @ me on ee fourms or ee send offm alourms awl about ee

I've only read a few Redwall books, but I still occasionally talk like a mole when I'm making "pancakers".

steam_sig.png
    When they asked at the interview if I had questions I asked one and said I had written down more. I didn't realize my pc restarted and I lost them. I said I couldn't find them at the moment and they said to email them if anything came to mind.

Does that look bad?

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Anyone have any opinion on SNHU? I'm thinking about going back for my bachelors but I need something that fits my schedule and none of the local colleges have anything that's remotely good for that (plus I hate going to lectures). E: I'd be online only.

Not having a BS is severely limiting my job prospects as of late and I'm sick of places like Lockheed going "you are almost our perfect candidate but we probably won't be able to hire you at your skill level without the bachelors" and I am not willing to take the almost $25k paycut to go back to that, even if it meant in 10 years I'd have more opportunities.

There a reason you aren't looking at SUNY Empire? You would pretty much waltz through a degree with their prior learning credits.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    Stragint wrote: »
    When they asked at the interview if I had questions I asked one and said I had written down more. I didn't realize my pc restarted and I lost them. I said I couldn't find them at the moment and they said to email them if anything came to mind.

Does that look bad?

Shouldn't but people are shitty so who knows. You being able to follow up with them now is a good thing for you. Toss a few questions that you had, but you can also expand on anything you felt you didn't respond to in the interview.
    Apparently I impressed the hell out of a guy by not knowing a cable type in an interview, looking it up after the fact and then following up later (on an unrelated issue) and saying "I haven't worked on x type cabling but I have worked on y type, which is somewhat similar".

• Captain UltraCaptain Ultra low resolution pictures of birds Registered User regular
    I read that as library shitter and was wondering if there was a secret epidemic of library shittings

based on the stories of the one public librarian I know, yes.

(it correlates with the local homeless population's situation is)

There a reason you aren't looking at SUNY Empire? You would pretty much waltz through a degree with their prior learning credits.

It's not really online friendly.

I mean it is, but you still have to show up something like 20% of the time and with a full time job that has a ton of overtime/crunch it's not really feasible for me to do it.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Fuckin' A. The Community College contacted me for an interview. Now I just need to create a 15 minute teaching demo.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
    Okay got all of Non-fiction moved. I reintegrated the holocaust non-fiction books into the rest of non-fiction. This basically just put them all into the same place in the 940's but the big projects the history classes needed those books for are not done anymore so having them broken out in a separate section was causing headaches. They all still have the colored labels on them to indicate their significance so I can easily point a student to them if needed.

Also gained about 8 more shelves for Manga.

This discussion has been closed.