As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I don't really wanna do the work today [Job Thread]

• Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    All kinds of delivery people and contractors and employees from the other office dropping by the warehouse to use my toilet today. Enough of them that I can't pinpoint exactly which one squirted the hand soap all over the floor. The soap is just a little bottle sitting on the sink, not a wall-mounted dispenser, so they would have had to pick it up and point it at the floor to do that. Or squirt it on their hands and then flick their fingers at the floor maybe.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    We recently hired a few actually competent people and it's depressing watching them realize what a rinky-dink shop we are.

Like today the roof/ceiling started leaking water on one guy's mouse pad so he calls maintenance and lets them know. I just didn't have the heart to tell him that it's been leaking there for over a year and maintenance isn't going to fix it, they are mostly here for show and so that the owner's hunting buddies can have company trucks.

• mcpmcp Registered User regular
    A vendor has been calling me about a thing I wasn't really ready to get into them about.

They've been so persistent, calling multiple times a day, and it's gone on so long that I'm just avoiding their calls because it feels awkward.

I could just be an adult, but instead I think it's probably best to sever this relationship.

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Anyone have any opinion on SNHU? I'm thinking about going back for my bachelors but I need something that fits my schedule and none of the local colleges have anything that's remotely good for that (plus I hate going to lectures). E: I'd be online only.

Not having a BS is severely limiting my job prospects as of late and I'm sick of places like Lockheed going "you are almost our perfect candidate but we probably won't be able to hire you at your skill level without the bachelors" and I am not willing to take the almost $25k paycut to go back to that, even if it meant in 10 years I'd have more opportunities.

There a reason you aren't looking at SUNY Empire? You would pretty much waltz through a degree with their prior learning credits.

It's not really online friendly.

I mean it is, but you still have to show up something like 20% of the time and with a full time job that has a ton of overtime/crunch it's not really feasible for me to do it.

As a guy with his AS from there, I disagree. I routinely pull 50 hours week and I have never had a teacher from there give me grief over it. The majority have bent over backwards to make it work.

Like, three appointments over a semester for the one class you have to take, once, and those can likely be done over the phone. Then? Really up to you. I haven't stepped foot in their building for the last three courses I took. It would be longer but I have a bias for face to face meetings when I can swing it and they're just off Carrier Circle.

I'd really suggest going to one of the info meetings if you haven't or just asking me more questions. They place a huge emphasis on granting credit for lifetime learning, like being a programmer/sysop for a decade. There is absolutely some work involved in getting that but not much compared to the pile of credits you should be entitled to.

The one big knock against it I can see for you is they're unlikely to have classes in IT that are appropriate for your level. If you're looking to actually learn new computer stuff it might be an issue though you'd have less of an issue there than I do with my area because they do have a bunch of computer related fields of study. If you're looking to just put together a BS degree and would find general business/management courses helpful? Should be a home run for ya.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Do they even do BS for software engineering? Last I knew it was just AS unless you can swing by Utica.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Anyone have any opinion on SNHU? I'm thinking about going back for my bachelors but I need something that fits my schedule and none of the local colleges have anything that's remotely good for that (plus I hate going to lectures). E: I'd be online only.

Not having a BS is severely limiting my job prospects as of late and I'm sick of places like Lockheed going "you are almost our perfect candidate but we probably won't be able to hire you at your skill level without the bachelors" and I am not willing to take the almost $25k paycut to go back to that, even if it meant in 10 years I'd have more opportunities.

There a reason you aren't looking at SUNY Empire? You would pretty much waltz through a degree with their prior learning credits.

It's not really online friendly.

I mean it is, but you still have to show up something like 20% of the time and with a full time job that has a ton of overtime/crunch it's not really feasible for me to do it.

As a guy with his AS from there, I disagree. I routinely pull 50 hours week and I have never had a teacher from there give me grief over it. The majority have bent over backwards to make it work.

Like, three appointments over a semester for the one class you have to take, once, and those can likely be done over the phone. Then? Really up to you. I haven't stepped foot in their building for the last three courses I took. It would be longer but I have a bias for face to face meetings when I can swing it and they're just off Carrier Circle.

I'd really suggest going to one of the info meetings if you haven't or just asking me more questions. They place a huge emphasis on granting credit for lifetime learning, like being a programmer/sysop for a decade. There is absolutely some work involved in getting that but not much compared to the pile of credits you should be entitled to.

The one big knock against it I can see for you is they're unlikely to have classes in IT that are appropriate for your level. If you're looking to actually learn new computer stuff it might be an issue though you'd have less of an issue there than I do with my area because they do have a bunch of computer related fields of study. If you're looking to just put together a BS degree and would find general business/management courses helpful? Should be a home run for ya.

IIRC, part of it is Bowen needs a more official piece of paper that says he knows his shit because prospective employers don't like his current one.

steam_sig.png
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Fuck. These Promethean boards as really cool. They are like SMART boards except instead of needing a projector and having to deal with calibration and your body casting a shadow on the screen, it is just one huge touch screen TV. 70+" in 4k.

We just started getting these at my school, too. I don't know if it's the same exact thing, but some teachers went from SMART boards to big ole TVs

Do they even do BS for software engineering? Last I knew it was just AS unless you can swing by Utica.

Not my area but it might not be "engineering" because of ABET but that's the physical labs bit, which is a thing for me, but I'm in the physical engineering end of things. They definitely would grant general computer science degrees though. As far as content, it is gonna be what you put into the degree that can pass a review board. Filling in approximate courses from any other accredited colleges Software Engineering degree would almost certainly be acceptable.
    IIRC, part of it is Bowen needs a more official piece of paper that says he knows his shit because prospective employers don't like his current one.

Yeah, if their complaints are "You don't have a BS" this would absolutely fix it. It would get fuzzy if the complaint is actually "You do not have a Software Engineering" degree.

I'd rather address that software engineering thing directly and just skip that shit entirely and get it now if I'm going to do it.

But I'm looking at SUNY's stuff and it doesn't really match up with what I want or need at all. I don't really have time to devote even really 4 hours a month to just saunter on down to a physical place and do shit for coursework or testing. Okay, okay, you got me, I have no energy after work to devote to shitting around with schooling. Also the more I can avoid driving around to their remote learning centers and doing bullshit "group projects" the better, I'd rather go to RIT if I'm going to go that far.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    I'd rather address that software engineering thing directly and just skip that shit entirely and get it now if I'm going to do it.

But I'm looking at SUNY's stuff and it doesn't really match up with what I want or need at all. I don't really have time to devote even really 4 hours a month to just saunter on down to a physical place and do shit for coursework or testing. Okay, okay, you got me, I have no energy after work to devote to shitting around with schooling. Also the more I can avoid driving around to their remote learning centers and doing bullshit "group projects" the better, I'd rather go to RIT if I'm going to go that far.

From everything my high school buddy who went to RIT told me, you would not want to go RIT.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    The email is away! Now I sit and quietly panic.

Obviously, do what works for you.

My core point here is that I don't think your picture of what would be involved is at all accurate. It is very much geared for folks who don't live ten minutes from a campus. Folks in Syracuse routinely teach folks in NYC or Buffalo and it is NBD. I have never been to a remote learning center, they aren't really for us since we have a real one in Syracuse. The only tests I've taken were parts of online courses (or were disguised phone discussions with the teacher.) The only group projects I've had were entirely online. (While they sorta sucked, that was a management course so I have trouble complaining about having to deal with people there.) In the stereotypical ESC "Independent Study" you won't have a group to work with.

The chief advantage is the aggressive stance on prior learning assessment. Between an AS and your decade like experience I wouldn't be surprised if you'd actually be bottlenecked by the restriction on credits being native to ESC, which is something like 31 credits for a BS. So I'd expect a much quicker turnaround to "Have Degree" status.

Finally, if you don't have 4 hours a month for school....you don't have time for school. I'm pretty sure your emphasis with that comment was on driving around and bullshit but if it is one thing that ESC will repeat ad nauseam is you have to make time for it. They just excel in letting you decide when that time will be.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Surname: Raper.

Well, that's unfortunate.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I think I'll do my teaching demo on algorithms. I can do one of those fun things where you ask the students to give me directions on how to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich (I'll bring the props) to explain computer thinking. I'll need to practice it though.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
    I have 4 hours a month for school.

I don't have 4 hours a month to show up for lecture, lab, or group projects in a physical capacity is what I'm getting at. I need it to be something like "okay I've got 2 hours before work and 2 hours after work today to do stuff"

I don't have 4 hours a month to show up for lecture, lab, or group projects in a physical capacity is what I'm getting at. I need it to be something like "okay I've got 2 hours before work and 2 hours after work today to do stuff"

That's what I understood you to be saying.

IME, ESC is perfectly suited for that and it is the design intent behind the school.

IME, ESC is perfectly suited for that and it is the design intent behind the school.

I don't see anything centered around software engineering though?

Remember that you're going to design the degree yourself, ESC doesn't have preset degrees. So it will be as focused on software engineering as you make it.

I'm fairly confident it can't have the word engineering in the degree title though so if that's a deal breaker it is definitely a hard stop. With your position, I can certainly see not wanting to get stalled again because an employer won't accept a degree titled "Computer Science" or "Software Design" or whatever term doesn't use ABET's precious keywords.

Remember that you're going to design the degree yourself, ESC doesn't have preset degrees. So it will be as focused on software engineering as you make it.

I'm fairly confident it can't have the word engineering in the degree title though so if that's a deal breaker it is definitely a hard stop. With your position, I can certainly see not wanting to get stalled again because an employer won't accept a degree titled "Computer Science" or "Software Design" or whatever term doesn't use ABET's precious keywords.

Yeah that's what I'm concerned about too.

Though most of the time it's just a resume they look at so most won't give a fuck either (because I can call it software engineering there).

But the huge plus to SUNY is that it's free.

So

that's a huge plus

• korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    All morning, the plant had been calling my supervisor, telling him to slow down on sending out parts because they couldn't get the trucks unloaded fast enough. We say "fuck you" and keep sending out trucks as fast as we can.

Two hours later, the plant calls and tells us that all the lines are shut down, that it's our fault, and we need to get <specific part> there, NOW. We had been sending a ton of that part all day long, but we drop everything we're doing and send out hundreds more of that part, totally exhausting all of us in the process. We hear nothing else from the plant the rest of the day.

Until one minute until our quitting time. We've already been working ten hour days to keep up with the plant's demand with our small, understaffed team. Suddenly the plant wants more of that specific part, and demands we all stay two more hours, until 7 PM, to get it done. Never mind that most of us have to commute an hour+ to get there, which means that many of us would get home just in time to turn around and go straight to bed.

Every single one of us walked out.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)

Yeah that's what I'm concerned about too.

Though most of the time it's just a resume they look at so most won't give a fuck either (because I can call it software engineering there).

But the huge plus to SUNY is that it's free.

So

that's a huge plus

Right, though I think that means you need a certain course load or something. I haven't really looked at it but probably should.

Alright, I know I just spent like a page saying you'd not have to go there but if you can get to an info session I think that'd be worth your while to at least get a grasp of what kind of time table you'd be looking at. The teachers there are generally pretty committed to getting folks through the program in a way that works for them and happy to explain how that might be and where the ups and downs would be for you.
    There is one tomorrow at 5:30. I swear I didn't know that when I started in on this.

I'll shut up about it now. Feel free to PM if you have any questions.

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Auralynx wrote: »

From everything my high school buddy who went to RIT told me, you would not want to go RIT.

RIT is very much what you make of it both academically and socially. That primarily applies to the CS and Engineering schools, but less so to the art and photography programs. Granted, I was a very small program (less than 15 people) that blended engineering and photography, so for me/us it was a tight knit group of people who did all had the same schedules for 2+ years. We ate together, some of us lived together, we hung out outside of classes, and some have even married each other. I had as good if not better memories/times in college than I did in high school.

I did take a few online classes, got through them, but they're really not for me. Being in the classroom interacting with the professor and other people is better suited to how I learn best. If you have the discipline and can work well on your own then maybe online classes will work for you. I took a few classes while employed full time after college and found it almost intolerable. It didn't help that I had very little interest in the classes and just needed a passing grade. Having to take classes after work when I just wanted to go home and not work more was really not for me. Again, if you can do it, go for it.

RIT's classes are likely to be a lot more expensive that SUNY, and some classes may still require you to be on campus for X number of days the same as SUNY classes. So make sure the classes you sign up for absolutely do not require you to ever actually be on campus for them.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I hate reading ndas
    Someone come tell me if there's anything I have to care about in these please

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    There's not.

Yeah usually not.

Some have legal repercussions but if you're not going to talk about the thing covered under the NDA then nbd.

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I've been having issues this last week or so. I've been working a point stretch of 10 hour days with no time off and I just....sleep until it's time to goto work. I don't know what's causing it but I had no time for anything else now and it's pissing me off

Cormac wrote: »
    Auralynx wrote: »

RIT is very much what you make of it both academically and socially. That primarily applies to the CS and Engineering schools, but less so to the art and photography programs. Granted, I was a very small program (less than 15 people) that blended engineering and photography, so for me/us it was a tight knit group of people who did all had the same schedules for 2+ years. We ate together, some of us lived together, we hung out outside of classes, and some have even married each other. I had as good if not better memories/times in college than I did in high school.

I did take a few online classes, got through them, but they're really not for me. Being in the classroom interacting with the professor and other people is better suited to how I learn best. If you have the discipline and can work well on your own then maybe online classes will work for you. I took a few classes while employed full time after college and found it almost intolerable. It didn't help that I had very little interest in the classes and just needed a passing grade. Having to take classes after work when I just wanted to go home and not work more was really not for me. Again, if you can do it, go for it.

RIT's classes are likely to be a lot more expensive that SUNY, and some classes may still require you to be on campus for X number of days the same as SUNY classes. So make sure the classes you sign up for absolutely do not require you to ever actually be on campus for them.

Yeah I would likely never do RIT unless I stopped working.

I'm torn between three, I guess I'll make a pro-con list to see where this takes me.

Yeah usually not.

Some have legal repercussions but if you're not going to talk about the thing covered under the NDA then nbd.

This is not my first trip to the NDA rodeo, Bowen. That latter clause is actually pretty significant

• N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    Fuck. These Promethean boards as really cool. They are like SMART boards except instead of needing a projector and having to deal with calibration and your body casting a shadow on the screen, it is just one huge touch screen TV. 70+" in 4k.

Promethean boards are the best. I would rather just have a projector than a SMART board, but I miss the Promethean board I had once. They're freaking amazing.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    N1tSt4lker wrote: »

Promethean boards are the best. I would rather just have a projector than a SMART board, but I miss the Promethean board I had once. They're freaking amazing.

My only concern is where to put it.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

I figured, I just like to talk you can ignore me mostly when I ramble about shit.

remedies/relief and legal fees are the big sections (you probably know that though, but for the others that might want to know)

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Huh, I didn't really consider this, but, I work outdoors all day in dirt. It's raining, quite a decent amount, in California today. So I just got a text from work telling my jobsite for tomorrow. It simply reads:

BENCH tomorrow. No work.

Which is kind of nice because I have my first day of teaching my college English course tomorrow evening, and I got stabbed really hard in the arm doing longsword fencing on Sunday so the arm is quite sore.

But I get paid hourly so uh... kind of hope this rain lets up soon.

• MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Huh, I didn't really consider this, but, I work outdoors all day in dirt. It's raining, quite a decent amount, in California today. So I just got a text from work telling my jobsite for tomorrow. It simply reads:

BENCH tomorrow. No work.

Which is kind of nice because I have my first day of teaching my college English course tomorrow evening, and I got stabbed really hard in the arm doing longsword fencing on Sunday so the arm is quite sore.

But I get paid hourly so uh... kind of hope this rain lets up soon.

one week I had a twelve hour paycheck due to rain! hope yours is better

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Minimum wage went up around here. My work actually increased my pay as well, despite making well over minimum wage.

Is this.... a thing companies actually do?

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular

My only concern is where to put it.

Your living room?

GDdCWMm.jpg
    Moridin889 wrote: »
    Minimum wage went up around here. My work actually increased my pay as well, despite making well over minimum wage.

Is this.... a thing companies actually do?

It should be if they value their workers.

my current job gives me yearly raises and this is the first time that's ever happened and it still freaks me out.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Today I made another roast in our quad with some fresh rosemary and thyme.
    PmHeliKl.jpg

All of my coworkers came out to watch.

Edit: It was about four and a half pounds. The local grocery store doesn’t mess around with their meats. I split it with one buddy who went halvsies on the cost.

Quid on
  • SkeithSkeith Registered User regular

I keep reading this as Prothean boards and it's throwing me off.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

I’d prefer a SMART board over a projector but Promethean boards sound like what SMART boards are trying to be.

This discussion has been closed.