As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Weightlifting/Strength Training

• Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    If you go back to one of these threads from 2008-2009 I’m pretty sure you can find documented proof of me doing 100 total reps of deadlifts...

Among other dipshit ideas I’m sure (I was only 19)

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    If you go back to one of these threads from 2008-2009 I’m pretty sure you can find documented proof of me doing 100 total reps of deadlifts...

And then you languished in pain right

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Maybe I misread, are we talking three sets of ten or ten sets of three?

I've done ten sets of three and it's bad but if you pick the right weight it's not the worst. Any number of sets of 10 are definitely the worst.

• WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    5 sets of 10 reps

gonna have some sick gainz as soon as i can get out of this bathtub full of ice

The only thing I do 5x10 are hanging leg lifts and back extensions

• AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    With 4 mo old baby in my life now, I am happy to just get in 2-3 days and see that I didnt completely lose all of my strength in the gym.

This year, I would like to slowly get back to heavy lifting, but for now I am content to get in there 2-3 days a week to squat(front and back)/bench/press/dl.

My gym was closed last thursday because of that dumb storm so friday I scooped my daughter up from daycare, mooshed her home, slapped on two pairs of sweats and trekked out to the gym. Was an absolutely fantastic start to the weekend, basically had the entire place to myself. Which is good because the 5 sets of squats I had to do took a year and a day, which I blame on the weather, was taking me a while to defrost.

• caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    Aretè wrote: »
    With 4 mo old baby in my life now, I am happy to just get in 2-3 days and see that I didnt completely lose all of my strength in the gym.

This year, I would like to slowly get back to heavy lifting, but for now I am content to get in there 2-3 days a week to squat(front and back)/bench/press/dl.

My gym was closed last thursday because of that dumb storm so friday I scooped my daughter up from daycare, mooshed her home, slapped on two pairs of sweats and trekked out to the gym. Was an absolutely fantastic start to the weekend, basically had the entire place to myself. Which is good because the 5 sets of squats I had to do took a year and a day, which I blame on the weather, was taking me a while to defrost.

You can do a lot with three training days. I know WR holder Kevin Oak only trains 3 times a week (probably doing 3+ hour training passes though)

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
    3 days is a pretty decent schedule.

Rest is an important factor in consistently increasing your weights

• FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I'd like to lose about 30kg (I'm currently around 130.5) between now and September for a cruise I'll be going on. How probable/improbable is that goal? It's been a good few years since I stepped into the gym. Last time I did, I think I was there for 3 weeks straight doing the break-in period of a New Rules of Lifting program (which I loved, and which I saw pretty damn nice results from, considering it was "only" the break-in period). My wife got us a food scale because I've wanted one due to a friend losing a lot of weight when putting one to use. So I have: a food scale; an elliptical in my home; a good gym at the YMCA; eight months to work with (+/- a couple weeks); a 2.5 year old that makes planning ... interesting. Also, I hate eggs and refuse to eat them in any capacity that isn't a baked good--which I am to believe is "bad."

Any advice?

Fawst on
    Fawst wrote: »
    I'd like to lose about 30kg (I'm currently around 130.5) between now and September for a cruise I'll be going on. How probable/improbable is that goal? It's been a good few years since I stepped into the gym. Last time I did, I think I was there for 3 weeks straight doing the break-in period of a New Rules of Lifting program (which I loved, and which I saw pretty damn nice results from, considering it was "only" the break-in period). My wife got us a food scale because I've wanted one due to a friend losing a lot of weight when putting one to use. So I have: a food scale; an elliptical in my home; a good gym at the YMCA; eight months to work with (+/- a couple weeks); a 2.5 year old that makes planning ... interesting. Also, I hate eggs and refuse to eat them in any capacity that isn't a baked good--which I am to believe is "bad."

Any advice?

It is totally doable

Start slow so you don't injure yourself or get so sore you can't continue.

Hit the gym and that elliptical.

Regularly.

Don't worry about lifting heavy or anything but definitely lift some weight on a regular basis.

As far as diet goes...it's complicated and there's a ton of diet plans and stuff like that, but some general guidelines:

Don't eat deep fried stuff.

Give up beer and soda.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    I don't know if it was the carbs, the deload, the psychology of it or what, but I fucking crushed it in the gym today. I can't remember the last time I was gripping the bar during my rest period, angrily waiting for the timer to go off so that I can lift more weights.

• FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »

Any advice?

It is totally doable

Regularly.

Don't worry about lifting heavy or anything but definitely lift some weight on a regular basis.

As far as diet goes...it's complicated and there's a ton of diet plans and stuff like that, but some general guidelines:

Give up beer and soda.

Beer is easy to give up, since I kind of stopped drinking it. What I have been having instead is hard seltzer (White Claw), but only on Fridays. So I guess I'll have to drop that as well! Is wine a major no-no? That might be a tougher habit to break. I can do it, though. I dropped anything that wasn't water years ago when I last went full force at this.

The food part is the one that trips me up. I like stupid food.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

Any advice?

It is totally doable

Regularly.

Give up beer and soda.

Beer is easy to give up, since I kind of stopped drinking it. What I have been having instead is hard seltzer (White Claw), but only on Fridays. So I guess I'll have to drop that as well! Is wine a major no-no? That might be a tougher habit to break. I can do it, though. I dropped anything that wasn't water years ago when I last went full force at this.

The food part is the one that trips me up. I like stupid food.

adult beverages can be had in moderation, the bigger issue is alcohol can lead to making poor decisions around bad food. Among other things.

Eat lots of veggies, some fruits, try to get your other foods unprocessed and figure out ways to cook good food. Learn to make big batches and have lots of leftovers.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    Oh also if you want to get intense with things like weighing food there are a ton of apps that you can use to track your food. I had success with myfitnesspal, but I have heard that the goals they set may be problematic so always look up multiple sources when attempting to determine your caloric or macro nutrient (Protein, Carbs, Fat) goals. At the very least it can give you how much of those things you are consuming wich can be useful information.

And then you languished in pain right

Surprisingly no, not that I recall. I did it once a week? And basically did a pyramid. So I mean I did like a set of 10 x 135, 185, 225 and then did less reps until I worked up to heavy triples, doubles, or singles and then just worked my way back down. I have no idea what my working numbers were. I also had no idea what I was doing. I’m pretty sure that’s all I did. Amazing what ten years difference makes.

Ignorance is bliss.

Man speaking of languishing in pain i got back to the gym on Sunday after just 2 weeks off.

Did, a standard day:
    -Squats 5x5 190lbs mixed with 5x5 pullups
    -Bench 5x5 115lbs mixed with 5x5 dips
    -Barbell row 5x5 155lbs
    -HIIT session on the rowing machine 5x500 meters 1.5 to 2 minute break between sprints.
    -5x10 hanging leg raises mixed with 5x10 back extensions.

And my quads are still kinda screaming.

I’ve never seen so many better bodies tapered belts as I have in the last few days.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
    I tried a belt for the first time the other day and nearly had to be cut out of it

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I just helped spot an 18 year old as he hit a ORM of 405lbs on the bench and now I feel like one of those fragile, frosted porcelain snow baby figurines.

• Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    If you go to the gym and lift up heavy stuff on the regular (or your job is physical labor), you're still stronger than most other people. And I'll keep telling myself that whenever I see other people in the gym who are clearly way stronger than me.
    I had an 18 year old a few weeks ago who asked me to spot for a 495 squat. Equally humbling, that kid was strong. And despite the fact that he was easily repping my max, I took solace in the fact that he clearly must have assumed I was strong enough to spot him, and you should do the same.

First real day back in around a week (went in on Monday for half an hour, did deadlifts, everything was a complete disaster), hit the bench for some 5*5 with some spoto presses in there to try it out. I think I like pauses more, but I'll give it a shot for a while to see if one is more useful than the other for hitting my sticking point.

Also, confession, turns out I've been doing barbell rows wrong this entire time. I've always done it with an overhand grip. Switched it around to an underhand and now I've found a good way to work my biceps without having to do actual curls. One of two new year's gym resolutions accomplished!

the price for overdoing it monday was crappy squats and foam rolling today

next monday my "accessory" work is gonna be eating an entire chicken and taking a nap, christ

My squat workout yesterday was preeeeeetty great. Not quite back to baseline but getting there

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I'm gonna try to start doing negatives on some if my less liked exercises. Mainly back and leg stuff. See if I can't get a better result out of them than I usually get.

Deadlift Day, still feeling a bit sick and my quads are still sore from leg extensions(!).

uo3my7ichear.jpeg

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat

Did some barbell rows with the underhand grip today. Might not be for me, I can't really supinate my right hand correctly.

Did some barbell rows with the underhand grip today. Might not be for me, I can't really supinate my right hand correctly.

Treat it like a compound biceps exercise instead, makes more sense that way.

For barbell back rows targeting the back - do overhand bent over rows or overhand pendlay rows

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
    Alright, so I’ve been pretty much at a point where I’ve felt fried and lazy and sluggish and haven’t really lifted much since I maxed out 12/30. Lifted the following Wednesday and Thursday and then didn’t lift again until Tuesday and lifted today.

I feel a lot better today, squats weren’t great but Tuesday I hit 405 for a double and today I worked up to 495 for a single and so that was pretty cool. It was probably closer to 95% than the 90% it was. But, after that, did 3x10 military presses and some curls and 3 way delt raises for a couple of sets and called it a day

But arguably the best I’ve felt lifting in 12 days so that’s something.

• Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    Squat day. 3*3*315 for backs, last two were rough, I was basically on my toes for the last one. Hit some reps at a lower weight, then moved over to fronts while waiting for the leg press. First time getting dizzy under the bar. It was unexpected, happened at the top as soon as I unracked. I was able to shake it off the first time it happened, did the set normally, but the next time I couldn't get past it. Figured it was a good time to move on and get some quick accessories and go eat some food.

• TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    Meal prep question - I've cooked a bunch of chicken, immediately portioned and frozen it. Is it safe to eat those portions cold after thawing or should they always be reheated?

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Meal prep question - I've cooked a bunch of chicken, immediately portioned and frozen it. Is it safe to eat those portions cold after thawing or should they always be reheated?

Reheating it won't affect any bacteria one way or the other, unless you're bringing it back up to an internal cooking temperature. Cold chicken is fine to eat after thawing if it's already been cooked. Only exception would be if it was left to sit for a while after cooking and cooled down first. Make sure it goes directly into the freezer.

Dhalphir on
  • TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    Thanks. I picked up a charcoal smoker over Christmas holidays and got a bit carried away. Got the next six weeks of work lunches sorted out.

Had an awesome bench press session for the first time in a while. Hit 3x2 with 140kg and then did pyramid sets up and down

5ljzm23myn1z.jpeg

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Alright weightlifters, here's my deal.

I've done a pretty effective slim down over the past few years. Going from 230lbs and a 40-41in waist to 182lb and 35in. My body fat % dropped from around 28% to 11%. I have a martial arts/cross country background, and that type of body weight exercise I've always found really enjoyable.

In terms of cardio fitness, I'm probably slightly above average. I can consistently do 3 miles over 22 minutes. 1 mile is probably around 6:40-7:00 consistently. I can manage 12-13 pulls ups a set, 50+ push ups, 50 body weight squats, etc.

In terms of strength though, I feel behind, and it's frustrating because after lifting heavy for bench and squats, I feel like garbage even at low weights. It takes me days to recover from the soreness, which in turn affects my cardio. Same for overhead press. Deadlift seems ok.

I can, *maybe* do 3/4 squats at 180lbs, and my bench 1RM hovered around 180 as well. That lifting was unsustainable though. I got severe crackling and popping in my shoulders along with some bursitis for my trouble. I can do a few sets, 3-4 of squats at 135lbs for 10 reps, and significantly more on a squat press machine. But my back and hamstrings are constantly sore afterwards, with pre and post stretching. Bench is about the same. I do occasionally ask people at the gym to check my form that I'm going to a decent depth, aren't buckling my knees in or out, and am keeping a straight back posture. At a glance they say I'm fine.

I'm not looking to break any records. But I'm not really sure where to go from here. I've tried gradually increasing the weight, but I hit a max really early where it seems like my body can't keep up. Especially with the running that I do. I'm not giving up, but some general advice on strength gains would be useful. I want to feel like I'm making some gains without screwing over my body at age 34.

manwiththemachinegun on
    how much are you eating and how much help are you getting with your form?

edited January 2018
    Whomever I can rob for help at the gym, so mostly people with a college level understanding of sports and lifting. I know it's worth getting a personal trainer though, I just need to get one that understands my goals. Generally, I just don't "feel" good lifting during a heavy squat or bench. I know they're great exercises, I don't want to get rid to them. But there has to be a way to make them feel less miserable. Or at least adjust my training so I don't mind as much. I'd be happy to go back down in weight if I could find a progression that worked well. Like, my low back and hamstrings get the sorest after a squat, and I know those aren't even the prime movers of those exercises! And it "seems" like no matter how much I do them, they never stop getting sore. I can't remember the last time my glutes or quads were sore instead.

My BMR is 2100, for breakfast, it's a cup of whole milk and half a cup of oatmeal. For lunch it's 1/4-1/3lb of turkey or chicken, with one or two 80 cal sticks of string cheese, and an apple. Sometimes a protein shake made from bean protein, a banana, and a cup of milk (not the same day as a regular lunch). Then I'm usually good till dinner which is usually some kind of vegetable, broccoli/salad no dressing, meat like a plain 1/4-1/2lb ground angus or chuck beef burger, and either a potato, brown rice, or legume. I usually end the day tired, but not headachey or feeling starving.

I know I should probably see a sports nutritionist, but wanted to talk strategy first. For macro tracking what do you guys use?

manwiththemachinegun on
    I use MFP. You don't need to see a nutritionist.

Hamstrings and lower back get sore easily, glutes and quads not so much. That's normal. If you take some videos we can see if you're doing anything weird.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I know you lost a bunch of weight but you might need to eat more if you're serious about wanting to improve your strength. You should also do a serious deep dive on form and whether yours is right.

General note, hopefully y'all are keeping an eye on Juggernaut's YouTube channel but if not: they've been doing hypertrophy guides for specific muscles and they're pretty aces.

https://youtu.be/Rzd7OUaITzs

edited January 2018
    I'll try to get some video over the weekend. It's most just venting considering it "feels" like I should be making progress. But obviously something is out of wack somewhere.

manwiththemachinegun on
    Generally more calories is the answer to not gaining, but it’s up to your goals whether you want to do that or not.

I’m getting sick of protein shakes! I also can’t think of a way to get 60g of protein in a similarly easy way

This discussion has been closed.