As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Vanity Thread 3.0: Harder, Better, Faster, [chat]er

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    What I like out of open world games are exploration and emergent gameplay. Finding secrets and treasures in unexpected locations, being able to approach a problem in multiple ways, and having small adventures that weren't necessarily scripted.

I neither want nor need every corner of my map to be crammed with some stupid minigame.

Which open-world games do you feel deliver on those things that you like?

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2018
    Horizon is the best pre-BOTW Open World Style Game that would nevertheless have been way better if it didn't bother being an open world game. Open world games that aren't Breath of the Wild suck. It stands out because the story and main character development are, almost shockingly, really good and interesting.

When people make broad proclamations against open world games, it reminds me how different peoples' mindsets about gaming can be.

Yeah, I loved wandering around Horizon: Zero Dawn. I'm not at all a get all the Cheevos kind of dude but the collectable items flesh out some interesting details about the setting.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Horizon is the best pre-BOTW Open World Style Game that would nevertheless have been way better if it didn't bother being an open world game. Open world games that aren't Breath of the Wild suck. It stands out because the story and main character development are, almost shockingly, really good and interesting.

When people make broad proclamations against open world games, it reminds me how different peoples' mindsets about gaming can be.

Open world games of that type isn't broad anymore, really

it's very very narrow. The ubistoft standard issue sandbox game.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    I like linear games

THERE I SAID IT

Linear games are good.

but nonlinear games are also good.

and plotless games are good.

all games are good and i love them.

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    I like linear games

THERE I SAID IT

Play Edith finch

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I like linear games

THERE I SAID IT

maxresdefault.jpg

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I get settled in for the night and I'm all "oh, I have notifications, one of my internet friends is discussing me a-... oh, butt pees"

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Bad games aren't good

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Damnit! My shameless plug for our local company got thoroughly BOTP'ed!

*grumble grumble*

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I like linear games

THERE I SAID IT

Mods

• Options
    edited January 2018
    What I like out of open world games are exploration and emergent gameplay. Finding secrets and treasures in unexpected locations, being able to approach a problem in multiple ways, and having small adventures that weren't necessarily scripted.

I neither want nor need every corner of my map to be crammed with some stupid minigame.

Assassin's Creed 2 was fun.

We can stop now, though. That wasn't supposed to be a cue to make every single fucking game be about climbing a tower to reveal a bunch of icons with some dull-ass minigame or whatever.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    I think every open-world game other than Breath of the Wild would be personally more enjoyable with every piece of side-content excised from the game. Seeing all that stuff there causes me to neurotically engage with it, but I think my experience would be better in every case I can think of if it just wasn't there at all.

i might have finished HZD if all the side shit hadn’t made me feel like the game was doing the same things over and over again

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Hakkes you love BotW though

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Bad games aren't good

There are no bad games, only bad players.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I like games that don't have much background lore and don't use background lore as a collectible.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular

Yeah sorry, broad proclamations are always a bad idea and I shouldn't make them

It's just that, for me, the genre, as defined by Ubisoft style map-markers, is an active assault on my ability to enjoy the experience. I feel simultaneously compelled to go through the checklists while fully aware that each side-quest and inconsequential collectible is sucking away my momentum and investment in the story.

I like how skyrim handled this. You could have the map completely filled with quest markers, or you could just have markers for selected quests, or none at all

• Options
    Also death to the idea that more content is always good

it should be obvious that it is not

the more you fill your game with unengaging uninteresting side-stuff, the less of your game is composed of good parts.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    I was betrayed by my lovehandles yesterday. I thought the only thing fat has going for it was you couldn't pull/strain it.

• Options
    Couscous wrote: »
    I like games that don't have much background lore and don't use background lore as a collectible.

Would you consider Pyre one such game?

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

Fallout series, Minecraft, Breath of the Wild, Prototype.

Prey, so far.

Saints Row 4 had lots of minigames but I still enjoyed it.

Sometimes Ark, but I gave up on it when I realized that the developers were more interested in adding more dinosaurs than dealing with any of the persistent bugs or game engine issues.

I liked Assassin's Creed 3 when I just built out my homestead and hunted wildlife. I didn't like the actual Assassin's Creed parts.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Bad games aren't good

https://youtu.be/dsUXAEzaC3Q

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options

I have not played it yet because it hasn't been on sale for 75% off.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I've started off 2018 right.

Eating healthier, triglycerides are down, bp is still high but I'm working on it. Had boiled eggs and a smoothie this morning.

This is the year I get fucking SWOLE. I'mma make a raft out of bamboo and just paddle shirtless on the river.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular

I can like linear games and BOTW which is as perfect as a video game can get without being shit directly out of the anus of the manifestation of inspiration itself

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Havelock2.0

Yeah Preacher is right, I'm just cheap on the TP.

If you want butt peeing you should probably ask amateurhour about that.

The only reason I'm infamous for butt problems is because I am one of the few that admits that I've trusted a fart in my adult life that was not a fart and ain't no way I'm ever sleeping naked because fuck off on cleaning bed sheets at 3am.

(you can own more than one set of bed sheets)

edit: jesus such batsignals

You can, but they're still a pain in the ass to clean and when you live in apartments it's not really feasibly to just leave shit laying about or soaking bedsheets in general compared to clothes. Plus sweat makes bedsheets gross.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options

I have not played it yet because it hasn't been on sale for 75% off.

If you weren't american, you'd have it by now.

• Options
    I like linear games

THERE I SAID IT

Play Edith finch

I haff heard dees before

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    Horizon put side stuff under headers like "Side Quests" or "Errands".

Easily avoided...?

• Options

I can like linear games and BOTW which is as perfect as a video game can get without being shit directly out of the anus of the manifestation of inspiration itself

I have too many complaints about BotW for it to be a perfect game.

But I definitely enjoyed it. It's a beautiful game, despite its glaring flaws.

• Options
    I've started off 2018 right.

Eating healthier, triglycerides are down, bp is still high but I'm working on it. Had boiled eggs and a smoothie this morning.

This is the year I get fucking SWOLE. I'mma make a raft out of bamboo and just paddle shirtless on the river.

Congrats

I have been on a slightly restricted calorie diet for a week and I am constantly angry and irritable and I have no patience left for anything and I MISS MAC AND CHEESE

....I don’t think I’m going to last

• Options

Fallout series, Minecraft, Breath of the Wild, Prototype.

Prey, so far.

Saints Row 4 had lots of minigames but I still enjoyed it.

Sometimes Ark, but I gave up on it when I realized that the developers were more interested in adding more dinosaurs than dealing with any of the persistent bugs or game engine issues.

I liked Assassin's Creed 3 when I just built out my homestead and hunted wildlife. I didn't like the actual Assassin's Creed parts.
    I really like that type of game, though they are usually called immersive sims rather than open world games. I like that focus on a relatively large but not ginormous area that can be crammed with details. Too bad they appear to be pretty dead after the sales of Prey, Mankind Divided, and Dishonored 2.

• Options
    Even when you own a washing machine like me, anything that makes me have to change my bedsheets at 3 am can fuck off

not that I rank the risk of shitting myself in bed high or... well, at all

but anyway, do you not own a bucket, bowen

of course it is feasible to soak bedsheets anywhere you are

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

I have too many complaints about BotW for it to be a perfect game.

But I definitely enjoyed it. It's a beautiful game, despite its glaring flaws.

Ur a glaring flaw >:-{

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I found a flavor of Häagen-Dazs that doesn’t suck

• Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    AC2 was my first open world ubisoft game

I enjoyed it but I tried to 100% it and I ended up rage quitting over an animus puzzle that was stupid difficult

My favorite one would have to be Black Flag though

Havelock2.0 on
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    On my way home from a political action meeting for north carolians living in NYC interested in affecting political change in NC since we live in such a liberal city in a blue state

It was really good! Going to bother all the NYC chatters to go to their feb fundraiser. Get ready y’all!

• Options
    Omg I’m on the verge of tears thinking about lobster Mac and cheese

I can’t do this my relationship to food is emotionally dangerous

• Options
    navgoose wrote: »
    Horizon put side stuff under headers like "Side Quests" or "Errands".

Easily avoided...?

I haven't played horizon so I don't know how bad they are but

it is very bad design if I have to remember to not overdo sidequests to not lose enjoyment of the game

there shouldn't be more sidequests to do in a row than a fun amount of sidequests

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    On my way home from a political action meeting for north carolians living in NYC interested in affecting political change in NC since we live in such a liberal city in a blue state

It was really good! Going to bother all the NYC chatters to go to their feb fundraiser. Get ready y’all!

Fundraiser you say

I have....some experience with this

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    I used a Christmas gift-card to pick up Uncharted: The Lost Legacy and Persona 5 on sale, but I think I want to knock out some Steam games first. I also should finish Gravity Rush 2...

Think I'm going to play Night in the Woods tomorrow as my day-off project.

This discussion has been closed.