As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Vanity Thread 3.0: Harder, Better, Faster, [chat]er

• ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    https://www.reddit.com/r/CryptoCurrency/comments/7p0rmh/i_still_have_not_received_my_27000_wire_reversal/

This is almost as great as the dude that squandered his and his sister's inheritance by buying bitcoin at a high and selling it at a low.

An exchange stole a bunch of money from someone? I am shocked, just shocked.

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    More like deeping slogs

• BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »

Of all of the reasons you can decide to go pro se....this feels like the dumbest.

I wanted to post this when beast sent it to me because lolololol but I wasn’t sure if it was “politics” or just tales of a fucking idiot

I feel like it's tales of a fucking idiot but if the mods feel it's politics I won't bring him up again.

For what it’s worth, I’m with you. Milo no longer has much political influence aside from being the self-appointed Duke of the Fucking Idiots

Who dare challenge for my lands and title?!

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I got la noire in 4k but man the gameplay has not aged well... So far at least.

I would have liked that game more as a visual-novel-but-a-movie.

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    open world games where I love the open world and voluntarily fire the game up sometimes just to hang out there:

Vice City
    San Andreas
    GTA IV
    GTA V
    Red Dead Redemption
    LA Noire
    Fallout New Vegas
    Oblivion
    Skyrim
    AssCreed 2
    AssBro

most of these are games where I love the actual game and the open world, though in a few cases (GTAIV, the Elder Scrolls games) I'm not overly fond of the game part but really enjoy just hanging out in the worlds.

There are also a few instances of the reverse, where I dig the game well enough but the open world bores me for various reasons (Fallout 3, Inquisition), but not that many.

firing up GTA IV just to drive around in the rain listening to the ingame radio was something I did fairly often for years and years after it came out

great world in that

in skyrim it is more or less the entirety of the game's appeal, with every other thing about it just things hanging off of "walk about in this world, see things"

ftOqU21.png
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I think open world games are my favorite kind, but there is to much emphasis on cramming in content. Fallout 4 is the perfect example. It would have been better if I could wander for a bit without tripping over 'interesting' locations.

• ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    MrMister wrote: »

Of all of the reasons you can decide to go pro se....this feels like the dumbest.

When would a court be okay withholding documents in your case from you? And why would they show them to your attorneys, but not to you?

idgi

In this particular case, I assume it's because they feel Milo is a fucking moron who will immediately post them to twitter. But if something basically falls under internal documentation then they might mark it that way to keep the other side from being able to use them outside of a court case. For instance if the documents cover internal decision making processes you might not want another company to know that. But in this case I am mostly sure it's because Milo is a fucking idiot and S&S doesn't trust him not to make a larger ass of himself.

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    I'm kind of fascinated by this music video by Hyuna. I had initially only listened to an unsubbed version, so I caught how creepily infantilizing the chorus was, but I missed that that's totally the whole point of the song.

https://youtu.be/b9xndFqGJ4k

So like the song starts out singing how she's just 26, emphasizing that 26 is still young... Though it's getting up there for an idol.
    Then she like meets the audience, looking right at the camera, "What are you looking at? Why do you have that creepy smile?"
    And then as the song goes on she sings about how she's being made to feel younger and younger by this relationship. She sings, "I want to be your baby", but baby is in English, and she means it with the English connotation of like, beloved person. But instead as the song goes on she's made to feel younger and younger, 25, 24, 21.
    And then the next verse initially objects, "why do you treat me like a baby", with baby in Korean, meaning just a literal baby, but she ends up acquiescing to it by the end of the verse. Then the next chorus is You make me 19, 17, 15... At which point Hyuna looks so disgusted that she walks off the set. But by the end she seems to return to the infantilizing relationship, and the song closes with her distorting voice singing, "Now, I'm your baby girl, baby girl," still just as sexualized, but now fully infantilized. That's like, actually a pretty dark ending for a happy sounding pop song!

People have also pointed out that a lot of the little visual references in the video reference previous music videos in Hyuna's career, and she herself actually debuted as an idol at the age of 15. It suggests that the unhealthy relationship she's in isn't with a person, but with the kpop industry, or with the audience at large, who want her to be both sexual (which she's in favor of) but also still childish just like when she debuted (which is creepy).

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.

When would a court be okay withholding documents in your case from you? And why would they show them to your attorneys, but not to you?

idgi

oh I know this one!

trade secret cases uses that type of confidentiality a bunch, apparently

...actually I don't know this one because uh I have no idea why that would apply

but I guess the principle: because you can trust the attorneys to keep them secret more than you can milo, I guess?

ftOqU21.png
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Far Cry 4 is a slept-on game. It recognized what was great about its predecessor, the outpost-taking game, and did everything to shine it up and capture what made it so great. It’s of the best stealth-to-combat experiences around.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular

idgi

I think it’s possible if trade secrets are involved but IANAL(yet). Regardless of the merits, deciding to dump your attorneys and represent yourself is the most hilariously stupid response to that

I’m pretty sure the disagreement arose from the attorneys trying to explain to their idiot client that this is possible and reasonable in a lawsuit, and Milo not having any of it

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Witcher 3:
    Best open world
    Best grizzled protagonist
    Best waifus
    Best pointless card minigame
    Not best horse, though

Nova_C wrote: »
    I think open world games are my favorite kind, but there is to much emphasis on cramming in content. Fallout 4 is the perfect example. It would have been better if I could wander for a bit without tripping over 'interesting' locations.

yeah I hate feeling cramped in those games

like, I like walking in this place, just let me do that a bit

when I am - often quite literally - tripping over interesting shit there's hardly ever any "ooh, I wonder what that is?"

ftOqU21.png
  • Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    CZ8zzqf.jpg?1

*whispers into hidden wrist mic*
    I'm in

Coinage wrote: »
    Witcher 3:
    Best open world
    Best waifus
    Not best horse, though

BOTW has the best waifu his name is Prince Sidon

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    https://www.reddit.com/r/CryptoCurrency/comments/7p0rmh/i_still_have_not_received_my_27000_wire_reversal/

This is almost as great as the dude that squandered his and his sister's inheritance by buying bitcoin at a high and selling it at a low.

even better how everyone's justifying it

"you'll get your money they're just backlogged!"

sure they are!

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me

idgi

I think it’s possible if trade secrets are involved but IANAL(yet). Regardless of the merits, deciding to dump your attorneys and represent yourself is the most hilariously stupid response to that

I’m pretty sure the disagreement arose from the attorneys trying to explain to their idiot client that this is possible and reasonable in a lawsuit, and Milo not having any of it

it is said "the man who represents himself has a fool for a client" but in this case I guess "the man who has a fool for a client has a fool for a client" applied before

ftOqU21.png
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Yep that is 100% Simon and Schuster not wanting Milo to throw their trade secrets and internal documents out in the open.

My guess is now they'll just ask the court to issue a gag order on him and it'll have the same effect.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
    CZ8zzqf.jpg?1

*whispers into hidden wrist mic*
    I'm in

S O C I A L E N G I N E E R I N G

Abdhyius wrote: »
    Nova_C wrote: »

yeah I hate feeling cramped in those games

like, I like walking in this place, just let me do that a bit

when I am - often quite literally - tripping over interesting shit there's hardly ever any "ooh, I wonder what that is?"

I actively avoided getting near many places in Fallout 3 because I only wanted places I had gone through and beaten to show up as quick travel points on the map. I would otherwise forget if I had completed that place.

• OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Zelda is the guy. That's why it's his legend.

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    Witcher 3:
    Best open world
    Best waifus
    Not best horse, though

People complain about how dumb W3's horse is

And I was always like... But horses ARE dumb as shit

Your horse's absolute refusal to go over easily crossed barriers made it feel so much more like a real horse

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    edited January 2018

even better how everyone's justifying it

"you'll get your money they're just backlogged!"

sure they are!

yqjmtBm.png

on the cryptocurrency reddit. Hee hee.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
    I love open-world games, but I hate whenever they try to rush me.

I never played Fallout 4 mostly because I don't think this machine could do it, but I heard you had to defend settlements which could legit take damage / be lost if you didn't get to them in a certain amount of time?

Like, Skyrim tries to do it through dialogue but that one kid has been waiting for me to rescue him from a Thalmor prison for six in-game months and I'm sure he's fine

knitdan wrote: »
    Yep that is 100% Simon and Schuster not wanting Milo to throw their trade secrets and internal documents out in the open.

My guess is now they'll just ask the court to issue a gag order on him and it'll have the same effect.

I am sure Milo will be totally reasonable and not violate the gag order. Not at all.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Witcher 3:
    Best open world
    Best waifus
    Not best horse, though

BOTW has the best waifu

Agreed.
    C5x16saXEAAGD1Q.jpg

• MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular

idgi

In this particular case, I assume it's because they feel Milo is a fucking moron who will immediately post them to twitter. But if something basically falls under internal documentation then they might mark it that way to keep the other side from being able to use them outside of a court case. For instance if the documents cover internal decision making processes you might not want another company to know that. But in this case I am mostly sure it's because Milo is a fucking idiot and S&S doesn't trust him not to make a larger ass of himself.

Yeah, google makes it sounds like it's mostly about trade secrets.

It sounds like most jurisdictions recognize strong presumptions in favor of clients being able to participate in their defense, clients being informed by counsel with all relevant info, and in a public interest in having access to court records, all of which conflict with attorney's eyes only provisions, and so they're really supposed to only be used in cases where the party seeking the designation can demonstrate a specific competitive harm that would befall them a la a real trade secret and competitor.

Seems like a gross designation, but I guess there's not much way around it. I'm kind of surprised, though, that it works in practice--that megacorps can't find attorneys who are willing to leak that stuff back to them, at least when it's possible to do it without getting caught. Maybe it's just that it's not that easy to get away with it? Idk.

Presumably Milo's lawyers would have challenged the designation if they could, though, especially if he was threatening to fire them otherwise, so that's evidence that it's legally supportable in this case anyway. Cute twist if representing yourself gets around it. Wonder what the court does with that.

emnmnme wrote: »
    Witcher 3:
    Best open world
    Best waifus
    Not best horse, though

BOTW has the best waifu

Agreed.
    C5x16saXEAAGD1Q.jpg

In this era of #MeToo, enmenembenemebnenme?

Link is a very good looking twink.

What I found illuminating in that cryptocurrency thread is they never mounted an argument against the idea that cryptocurrencies were experiencing a bubble, but instead tried to foment a fear that the same "bubble" could happen to a fiat currency at any time.

Which a) No, for a hundred reasons, and b) Why is your solution to something that could conceivably experience failure to invent something that will definitely experience failure?

You don't like currencies, get out of the currency game, my man. Don't make up one in your mind and tell people they have to honor it or they're oppressing you!

• wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular

Don't worry I'm sure the free market will sort this out.

Psn:wazukki
    Speaking of hot pieces of ass, I didn’t find Adam Driver all that attractive until I saw The Last Jedi

You kno

That part

• OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Speaking of hot pieces of ass, I didn’t find Adam Driver all that attractive until I saw The Last Jedi

You kno

That part

the extended bathroom scene where he was constipated? I thought it was an odd choice but okay.

• PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    I tried playing Dishonored 1 but it was too much work to play. The HUD isn't very helpful so you need to wander around to get to the place you're going, and then there's guards everywhere that you can't really take in combat so wandering around takes forever. Also the story made no sense to me because I skipped all of the dialogue the game would let me skip

Uh, Dishonored is the game where you are the nigh-invulnerable teleporting backstabbing assassin that can literally stop time

knitdan wrote: »

I am sure Milo will be totally reasonable and not violate the gag order. Not at all.

He’ll just pass it along to his best friend and champion of the creepy silver haired free speech twats Julian Assange

You kno

That part

Are you femalegazing, Hakkes

He's more than whatever happens in TLJ, I haven't seen it, he's a real person u kno

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    You people and your waifus.

BeNarwhal wrote: »

You kno

That part

Are you femalegazing, Hakkes

He's more than whatever happens in TLJ, I haven't seen it, he's a real person u kno

He is! He is a sweetie in Paterson. Everyone should go get a cup of tea, curl up with someone and/or a furry animal, and watch Paterson. It’s on amazon prime!

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Witcher 3:
    Best open world
    Best waifus
    Not best horse, though

BOTW has the best waifu

Agreed.
    C5x16saXEAAGD1Q.jpg

wymq7twi1g2u.png

Witcher 3:
    Best open world
    Best waifus
    Not best horse, though

BOTW has the best waifu

Agreed.
    C5x16saXEAAGD1Q.jpg

wymq7twi1g2u.png

Fuck yes link preach it

This discussion has been closed.