As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Painting Miniatures] vs the unending tide of grey plastic

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Does Imgur's app have any of these sizing functions, because I usually use it from work late at night where i don't have access to my PC,

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Just checking around in the app now, I don't believe it does.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Does Imgur's app have any of these sizing functions, because I usually use it from work late at night where i don't have access to my PC,

I’m pretty sure not. Which is a pain in the ass as mobile uploads get no option to change from their ridiculous default iPhone size when you first put them up.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I use Camera+ to crop images before dumping them on imgur from my iPhone

It’s a hassle if you have a lot of images that need to be cropped but that’s how it is on mobile

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Elaro wrote: »
    So I tried creating gradients if flesh time with a mini and i ended up with a guy that looks like a sealsick oompa loompa. I should really just buy a set of paints instead of buying colors piecemeal....

This I want to see.

Sadly I've already simple green it halfway through the painting.

• TheColonelTheColonel ChicagolandRegistered User regular
    It's the 1st of 4 calendar checkpoints on the Road to Adepticon. Another squad I'm considering "done" and a Hydra at tabletop playable. I'm planning on a detail pass once the other major stuff is done though as there's stuff I want to do with it (have digi-camo airbrush stencils I want to play with).

Squad 2
    9DeG033.jpg?2

Squads together
    SBCFz80.jpg?1

Hydra front
    NdXjf6J.jpg?1

Hydra rear
    h3ZaxaJ.jpg?1

• McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Wow, that grey-white is fantastic looking!

website_header.jpg
  • TheColonelTheColonel ChicagolandRegistered User regular
    Thanks! Administratrum Grey over Dawnstone over a dark grey base coat (Mechanicus Standard Grey or Coal from the Minitaire line from Badger). Takes a few coats to even out and really work the brush lines out but I really like the color. In less direct lighting I feel like it takes on almost a light blue tint? But I'm also terribly red/green color blind so don't trust me on anything color related :)

• TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Edit wrong thread

TIFunkalicious on
  • BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    Inceptors are the Satan to paint my god

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Some experiments with actually taking some time to do good zenithal highlighting. A High Troll from Massive Darkness.

Primed with Vallejo Surface Primer, started with black and then ghost grey.

DTLE0sQWAAApnl1.jpg:small

DTLE0u-X4AE6G64.jpg:small

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    First session on this guy. No real plans other than wanting a greenish skintone and trying something akin to sketch-style painting. Liking it so far.

DTNNmzPWsAEtN2V.jpg:large

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    TheColonel wrote: »
    Thanks! Administratrum Grey over Dawnstone over a dark grey base coat (Mechanicus Standard Grey or Coal from the Minitaire line from Badger). Takes a few coats to even out and really work the brush lines out but I really like the color. In less direct lighting I feel like it takes on almost a light blue tint? But I'm also terribly red/green color blind so don't trust me on anything color related :)

I used some of those same colors on my Cygnar guys' lighter bits back in the day for exactly that reason; definitely comes out just a little blue-ish.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Finished my blightspawn, brothers Venkmen, Stanz, Zeddemore and Spengler. Also completed a second drone, a Necrosius conversion, a terminator sorc and Typhus.

Not bad for a weeks work.

dHBLC6x.jpg
    ZWTZflj.jpg
    qMkdQYB.jpg
    fp1MiwF.jpg
    6yvsuLY.jpg

edited January 2018
    Today I built a Bloat Drone and my first squad of Death Guard... the first models I've put together in more than 15 years.

These new plastic models are gorgeous and SO easy to work with compared to my old metal orks.

The drone already looks daunting to paint.

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I liked painting my death guard marines but it seemed like every 5 minutes I was finding some detail I missed earlier

• BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    It’s probably not any help when priming black, but I’ll put down a light brown wash after white priming just to see all the details.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Khraul wrote: »
    Today I built a Bloat Drone and my first squad of Death Guard... the first models I've put together in more than 15 years.

These new plastic models are gorgeous and SO easy to work with compared to my old metal orks.

The drone already looks daunting to paint.

Luckily the drone is actually fairly easy to paint. In fact the larger you go with Death a Guard models the easiest it is because the detail is much easier to see and do.

In the drones case in particular a good 70% of the model is the armour and the skin which are large, flat and easy to pick out the details. The only really tricky areas are the “face” and guns.

• Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    @Asher where are those Raven Guard?? I want some inspiration for painting up my Dark Imperium Primaris marines!
    I also really want the FW Raven Guard kits, those assault marines look amazing.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
    I actually primed green (pics below, spoilered for big)

I think it's going to make painting a lot easier.
    0kd81kaskht2.jpg
    7avc2pw756hm.jpg
    6i6gbp99joek.jpg

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I liked painting my death guard marines but it seemed like every 5 minutes I was finding some detail I missed earlier

This is a pretty big problem with most GW minis, I've found.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
    I will agree it’s nice to paint something like a Reaper mini and just do some cloth and maybe a belt instead of twenty skulls, heaps of gold trim, and a grinning little monster hidden like an Easter egg up in the guy’s armpit.

• GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Does Vallejo brush on primer need to be thinned for airbrush use? I’ve had this damn thing for almost two years, it’s time to get cracking.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    GR_Zombie wrote: »
    Does Vallejo brush on primer need to be thinned for airbrush use? I’ve had this damn thing for almost two years, it’s time to get cracking.

If you mean "Vallejo Surface Primer", no, it's actually meant to be used in an airbrush. Even says so in the directions on the back. I use it undiluted through my air brush with no issues. Never clogs and cleans right out with air brush cleaner.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    GnomeTank wrote: »

If you mean "Vallejo Surface Primer", no, it's actually meant to be used in an airbrush. Even says so in the directions on the back. I use it undiluted through my air brush with no issues. Never clogs and cleans right out with air brush cleaner.

Yup, that’s it. Thanks!

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • AsherAsher Registered User regular
    @Asher where are those Raven Guard?? I want some inspiration for painting up my Dark Imperium Primaris marines!
    I also really want the FW Raven Guard kits, those assault marines look amazing.[/quote]

*Batman Voice*
    "BEHIND YOU"

M2GZ5th.jpg
    The whole shebang (more or less)

A2rUBnF.jpg
    Kaedes Nex, The Bloodraven. Murderer extraordinaire.

f1y0Us8.jpg
    Ancient Tuvos. A many storied warrior of great valour and punching.

xZjCt6R.jpg
    Shadow-Captain Rhynden Morior, The White Raven, The Ill-Omened, The Albino.

IMGUR ALBUM LINK HERE FOR MANY PICTURES OF GREAT JUSTICE AND LOYALTY

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Asher wrote: »

*Batman Voice*
    "BEHIND YOU"

IMGUR ALBUM LINK HERE FOR MANY PICTURES OF GREAT JUSTICE AND LOYALTY[/quote]

I really like that DV Librarian conversion! Did you do all the RG emblems by hand? They look real good. And what's your source on studded shoulder pads? I was debating trying to get studs one arm for all the marines to tie everyone together.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Asher wrote: »

*Batman Voice*
    "BEHIND YOU"

IMGUR ALBUM LINK HERE FOR MANY PICTURES OF GREAT JUSTICE AND LOYALTY

Cheers! Yeah all done by hand because I simply lack the patience for transfers. After the first few it gets pretty easy. The shoulder pads are a mix of the Forgeworld MK VI kit and the plastic Betrayal at Calth ones. I don't remember exactly how many come in each kit, but it was a bunch.

Asher on
    I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
    First two airbrushed minis came out pretty ok! Anyone have any protips a beginner would benefit from?

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I painted a Gimli!

uOjFkSCm.jpg

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    First two airbrushed minis came out pretty ok! Anyone have any protips a beginner would benefit from?

I only use mine for base coating and priming right now, but I've found a couple things have helped me a lot as a fellow new airbrush user:
    • Make sure your lighting is good. Good lighting helps you get nice even coats.
    • Keep the airbrush and the model moving, don't let paint glop up on one spot.
    • When the paint looks wet, there is enough paint there. At the very least let it dry and check the coat before putting more on.

Generally it only took me a couple of practice models and now my primes and base coats come out silky smooth with no detail clogging.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    Seven Death Guard Poxwalkers put together before work this morning.

I think this weekend I'll have time to bust out my new paints and try my first model. I'm pretty stoked.

Also, I ordered a modelling kit off Amazon with sprue clippers and files and stuff. My wife asked me why I bought a manicure set.

I guess if you add an exacto knife and replacement blades to a manicure set it makes it a model set?

She had a good chuckle anyway.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    I finished up the last Shadespire team. I'm not a huge fan of the GW orruk design generally speaking so I may be biased, but these ones are the least exciting models available for Shadespire right now, the boss is aright, but the other chumps are kinda plain.

truzvky6mlss.jpg
    bgilci7aaghn.jpg
    dg9w581a6b69.jpg
    8bq1nwue2b1w.jpg
    ye87uh553jge.jpg
    52ygluuxpw14.jpg

• DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    They look great!
    You're right about the designs though. Its why I made my own from BB minis

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    I realize this morning I've made the cardinal sin of - despite thinking about doing so multiple times - I didn't write down the colours I used to make the colour of the model I'm working on, and I can't honestly say I'm 100% sure what they were anymore. I feel, like, 70% sure, but ...
    Don't be me, friends. Write that shit down. :P

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Begun work on my scouts, I have.

925209_sm-Imperial%20Fist%20Scouts%2C%20Space%20Marine%20Scouts.jpg

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
    The face and the finger guns; I just can't look at that dude without hearing him responding to the question 'You hit that, bro?' with 'You know it, brosef.'

At first glance I thought he had a really elaborate 12th century pompadour.

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    My dream is to find a right handed finger guns bit so that one of my models can be dual wielding finger guns.

Probably a Psyker.

More of the Fellowship done!

Friday:
    ZXrWwXcm.jpg

Today:
    4CM6um2m.jpg

This discussion has been closed.