As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A Shot of Ice & Fire: Book Four

EtaoinEtaoin South Barcrawl Lead, Omeganaut S16TexasRegistered User regular
edited January 2018 in PAX South
nu1l1cueuw0g.png

Welcome to A Shot of Ice & Fire: Book Four, otherwise known as the Fourth Annual PAX South pre-PAX Community bar crawl!

In staying with PAX tradition, the Thursday evening prior to PAX will see a huge group of us crawling through the San Antonio Riverwalk, drinking, making friends, and raising money for Child's Play. There will be houses. There will be drinking challenges. There will be sigils. Be prepared, because PAX South is coming.

This event is strictly 21+. Facebook pages are listed under each house. Twitter: @PAXIceandFire #paxsouthbarcrawl

Prologue
In this frozen moment you flash through what you have just wielded and have yet to forge this night. Amidst your companions of valor, you seize the moment and take the challenge, for the honor of your house, for your glory in battle…

Through hill and dale, through rain and fog you and your companions of the quest push on and challenge after challenge you are overcome with the haze of battle…your memory will flicker…you can barely piece together but know you have brought honor to house and can proudly bear your sigil.

Your skull rings with fire from your quest…and it was good...

What This Is
Welcome to the PAX South version of the PrePAX bar crawl. You may have attended one of the other PrePAX bar crawls, The Triwizard Drinking Tournament or the Pokecrawl. Or if this is your first PAX, maybe not. In any case, this is a bar crawl. A Game of Thrones-themed bar crawl designed to get you drunk and meet fellow PAXers, all while raising money for the Child’s Play charity. This means we will ask you for donations. There will probably be cool things auctioned off. Don’t be stingy - bring some extra cash and think of the children.

This event will be held in and around the San Antonio Riverwalk. Registration with your House will start at 7:00 and each team will move to their first challenge bar at 8:00. Every hour, you will go forth to a new bar and a new house to humiliate with your elite drinking skills. All bars will be walking distance to each other. We come as a group, and leave as a group, so don’t try to get left behind!

How Does it Work?
When you arrive at the first bar, your Lord or Lady and his noblemen will check you in (see below for registration details). You will receive a registration card with some very important stuff on it. You will also receive six buttons with your house sigil upon them. At each bar, you will single out the weakest member of the opposing house and challenge them to a duel. Once you have completed the duel (and hopefully bested them), take their house sigil as a sign of your superiority. And then give them one of yours, just to be nice. Your goal will be to collect all six sigils to show the world that you rule the seven kingdoms…..or just that you have a liver made of Valyrian Steel.

How To Participate
Follow the link below.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/a-shot-of-ice-fire-book-4-tickets-41101052354

You will be able to register yourself and a +1. Any duplicate registrations will be deleted, so don’t try to fool us. When registration opens, it will not have a wait-list due to the functionality of Eventbrite. Any cancellations or spots that open up will immediately go back into the pool. You will need to bring a printout of your registration confirmation or have it available on your smart device when you check in at your first bar. We will ask that everyone donate at least $5 for Child's Play to receive the scorecard and house buttons.

How Do I Win?
There's really no winning, per se. This is pretty much a fun, drunken night out with fellow nerds. But for those of you who do manage to conquer all of your foes and collect their sigils, there will be a button confirming the fact that you have lived through Book Four. We're also raising money for Child's Play, so bring some extra cash and for the love of the Gods old and new, think of the children.

The House that raises the most will be declared the most bestest house ever (at least for this year) and will have bragging rights going into Book Five.

We're always accepting volunteer spots as noble helpers or Wardens (sober assists) - it requires herding your brethren from one bar to the next, and making sure we don't lose any of our bannermen along the way. This is a great option for those that don’t feel like waking up hungover on Friday, but still like the energy and social spirit of the crawl. We prefer our volunteers mostly sober. Sober-ish. Ok, not falling down. Please PM Etaoin if you're interested in assisting.

Tips & Tricks
Don't Be a Dick: First and foremost, don't do anything that's going to embarrass yourself or anyone else. Especially since alcohol is going to be involved you're going to want to leave your asshole pants at home.

Know Your Limit: The only person who knows your alcohol tolerance is you. There's nothing worse than an overindulged drunk so don't be that guy or girl. If someone notices that you're getting sloppy, you're already past the point of no return. You should probably stop drinking when someone points out to you that you're peeing on a bar stool.

Leave No Housemate Behind: We arrive as a group and leave as a group. If someone has to be That Guy/Gal who gets so wasted that they think they're actually Jamie Lannister, it's the responsibility of the crawl as a whole to ensure this person makes it safely back to their hotel. Use the buddy system, handcuff yourselves to each other, whatever. No one is to vomit in a bus terminal by themselves. Not this night, at least.

Respect the Head of House and their Assistants: Anyone designated as a House noble for the crawl isn't there just to direct you to the next bar; they're there to make sure everyone's having a good time and that everything runs smoothly. They're there to keep everyone moving and to stop people from jumping up on the bar and dropping trou. If one asks you to stop picking bar fights with Tom Cruise, it might be a good idea to do so.

HAVE FUN: This is the most important guideline of all: Have fun! We're all on vacation and we're drinking with fellow nerds so let's enjoy it. Keeping ourselves fairly reasonable for the evening will make it a good time for everyone.

Reminders:
You must have a print out of your confirmation email or have it available on your smart phone.
You MUST provide your full name during the registration process, forum handle is optional.
You MUST be over the age of 21. No minors allowed. This is a bar crawl, please don't bring your children.
Attendees are limited to registering for 2 tickets (Yourself +1)
If you harass people on the forums or the team Facebook pages, you will be removed from the crawl, and your ticket will go back into the pool.
Duplicate/multiple orders, orders containing more than 1 ticket type, and otherwise suspicious orders will be cancelled. If you have an issue with registration please contact me immediately.

The Houses

House Targaryen
ohsmitkiz41c.jpg

Lady Etaoin
Maester Molly
Warden Aldrea
Septon <TBD>

Route:
7:15-8 Registration at The Davenport Lounge
8-9 Agave Bar vs. Baratheon
9-10 Mad Dog's British Pub vs. Lannister
10-11 Ticket Sports Pub vs. Stark
11-12 Pat O'Briens vs. Wildlings
12-1 Bar 414 vs. Night's Watch
1-2 The Buckhorn Saloon with all other Houses

Facebook Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1579313982281104/

House Stark

o15iod97gsdk.jpg

Lord Gus
Maester Riga
Septon Thomas

Route:
7:15-8 Registration at Mad Dog's British Pub
8-9 Bar 414 vs. Lannister
9-10 The Buckhorn Saloon vs. Wildlings
10-11 Ticket Sports Pub vs. Targaryen
11-12 Agave Bar vs. Night's Watch
12-1 Pat O'Brien's vs. Baratheon

Facebook Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1565184373696493/

House Lannister

zj7wct3vgn79.jpg

Lord Sheep Have Wool
Maester Susannah
Septon Samantha

Route:
7:15-8 Registration at Agave Bar
8-9 Bar 414 vs. Stark
9-10 Mad Dog's British Pub vs. Targaryen
10-11 Pat O'Briens vs. Night's Watch
11-12 The Buckhorn Saloon vs. Baratheon
12-1 The Davenport Lounge vs. Wildlings

Facebook Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/388961264604587/

House Baratheon

6yn0960be64r.jpg

Lord Sera123k
Maester Matt
Septon Ricky
Warden Travis

Route:
7:15-8 Registration at Ticket Sports Pub
8-9 Agave Bar vs. Targaryen
9-10 The Davenport Lounge vs. Night's Watch
10-11 Mad Dog's British Pub vs. Wildlings
11-12 The Buckhorn Saloon vs. Lannister
12-1 Pat O'Briens vs. Stark

Facebook Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/415499315269537/

The Night's Watch

rfekjmk0x5ar.jpg

Lord Peetsnack
Maester Zerzhul

Route:
7:15-8 Registration at The Buckhorn Saloon
8-9 Ticket Sports Pub vs Wildlings
9-10 The Davenport Lounge vs Baratheon
10-11 Pat O'Briens vs Lannister
11-12 Agave Bar vs Stark
12-1 Bar 414 vs Targaryen
1-2 The Buckhorn with all other Houses

Facebook Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1589570317930641/

The Wildlings

jjm545ecwked.jpg

Spearbearer Devierue
Master of Bones Archarzel
Freeman Jennifer

Route:
7:15-8 Registration at Bar 414
8-9 Ticket Sports Pub vs Night's Watch
9-10 The Buckhorn Saloon vs Stark
10-11 Mad Dog's British Pub vs Baratheon
11-12 Pat O'Briens vs. Targaryen
12-1 The Davenport vs. Lannister

Facebook Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/392395164269657/

The Challenges
Stop 1: Two Swords - See someone on your team that looks like a good ally? Share a drink and toast to your impending
house victory
Stop 2: The Lion and the Rose - One of you is the Lion, the other is the Rose. The Lion chooses a hard liquor, the Rose
chooses a flavored liquor. Order two cocktails which combine the two chosen liquors and drink up.
Stop 3: Breaker of Chains - Buy a shot of whiskey, vodka and tequila. Rock/Paper/Scissors to see who drinks each shot.
Stop 4: Oathkeeper - Two Truths and a lie. Each player dictates 2 truths and 1 lie while the other guesses the lie. Guess the
lie correctly and the other drinks. Wrong and you drink. Switch
Stop 5: The Laws of Gods and Men - Even Gods must hydrate. Make a friend and drink a glass of water. Seriously, drink it.
Then grab a drink of your choice, or not.
Stop 6: The Mountain and the Viper - Each of you buy a shot and a non-alcoholic drink. Switch shots. Combine your shot
and mixer and drink up.

7paDBmR.png
Etaoin on

• kube00kube00 SE WA StateRegistered User regular
    Alright I got an earlier flight i wouldn't miss this for the world! Winter is coming, I'd better drink a few beers

1st PAX was Prime 2010. Made it to several more Primes/West. Been to East and South. Headed back to West in 2019 for my 12th PAX.

Twitter:kube00
  • murdocmurdoc Registered User regular
    Awesome - did this at the first PAX South and really looking forward to being a part of it again.

...it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.
  • codeman165codeman165 Registered User new member
    Had a great time last year.can wait.

• DelacroixPlaysDelacroixPlays Registered User new member
    I can't wait for this event! It's always the highlight of my PAX South!

• PennyPtonPennyPton Registered User regular
    Hey! I added this event to a calendar thread for everyone to see what is happening PAX weekend. Please let me know if anything needs to be changed in the description!

https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/215812/pax-south-2018-pre-post-convention-events-parties/p1?new=1

Does the registration open tomorrow at 9am central time?

1st PAX was Prime 2010. Made it to several more Primes/West. Been to East and South. Headed back to West in 2019 for my 12th PAX.

One tip I can think of is eat a good filling meal beforehand trust me. Nothing like being hungover the first day of PAX South. That was me in 2015

• Sheep Have WoolSheep Have Wool Registered User regular
    House Lannister welcomes back all of our Lords and Ladies, and we look forward to meeting our newest House members. We should have some seriously awesome swag available for crawlers, along with a few surprises for this year. More details as we get closer to the crawl!

QNeMzii.jpg?1

• sera123ksera123k Registered User new member
    *fixed

sgtfcjbit339.jpg

• crashmurphycrashmurphy Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    kzzxs1yyssn5.png

crashmurphy on
    dkmbNgP.png
    edited December 2017
    Decided on House Stark this year. It's gonna be fun

kube00 on

• SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I shall once more take up the cause of The Wildlings, we had Bacon Brownies last year, I don't think I need any more reason than that to give them my eternal loyalty.

• XanyaeWarpawXanyaeWarpaw Registered User regular
    House Stark! Who else is dressing up?

I know the new House Lannister leadership will be in costume.

• XanyaeWarpawXanyaeWarpaw Registered User regular
    Let me know if anyone from House Stark needs help with anything!

• The AviatrixThe Aviatrix Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    My new skirt I'm making shall give a tactical advantage to the Night's Watch! (The bottom will be edged with maps of Westeros.) Just bought the remaining fabric i needed to fill out the skirt in black.

The Aviatrix on
    x5XpZBK.pngEz7XjRx.pngml9Z6gf.png
  • EtaoinEtaoin South Barcrawl Lead, Omeganaut S16 TexasRegistered User regular
    Completely not crawl related but I need to know where you got that fabric

7paDBmR.png
  • The AviatrixThe Aviatrix Registered User regular
    Etaoin wrote: »
    Completely not crawl related but I need to know where you got that fabric

Joanne's.
    They have a few GOT fabrics.

x5XpZBK.pngEz7XjRx.pngml9Z6gf.png
  • crashmurphycrashmurphy Registered User regular
    Let me know if anyone from House Stark needs help with anything!

I don't believe that Stark leadership will be "dressing up" (we all have a few other obligations that are making it a little difficult for us to go full-cosplay) per say, but we'll be representing with t-shirts and what not. However, if you're wanting to dress up, then let me know and we'd love to have you greet/welcome members as they get to the first bar.

dkmbNgP.png
    If I decide to jump ship to another house do I just cancel my ticket and pick another one?

kube00 wrote: »
    If I decide to jump ship to another house do I just cancel my ticket and pick another one?

Yup

7paDBmR.png
  • CKingCKing Registered User regular
    Has anyone ever used Charity Miles during the crawl? I was thinking it would be a way to raise money for charity while raising money for charity. But I've never used it for something like that, so I wasn't sure if it worked.

As the strongest House in Westeros, House Lannister is committed to bringing crawlers the finest swag. As a preview, I bring you:

QL0ipLt.jpg?1

Why, yes, that is a script autographed by Peter Dinklage (Tyrion), Sophie Turner (Sansa), Maisie Williams (Arya), and David Benioff (one of the show runners). We'll be raffling this (and its accompanying certificate of authenticity) the night of the crawl - entries are $10 for one, and $25 for three. House Lannister members who enter during check in will receive an extra entry! If you're not a House Lannister member, and you'd like to enter, find one of the House Lannister members at one of the bars to get set up. Remember, it's for the kids, and stay tuned for more previews.

As the strongest House in Westeros, House Lannister is committed to bringing crawlers the finest swag. As a preview, I bring you:

QL0ipLt.jpg?1

Why, yes, that is a script autographed by Peter Dinklage (Tyrion), Sophie Turner (Sansa), Maisie Williams (Arya), and David Benioff (one of the show runners). We'll be raffling this (and its accompanying certificate of authenticity) the night of the crawl - entries are $10 for one, and $25 for three. House Lannister members who enter during check in will receive an extra entry! If you're not a House Lannister member, and you'd like to enter, find one of the House Lannister members at one of the bars to get set up. Remember, it's for the kids, and stay tuned for more previews.

Woah! I will enter a raffle for that

• UltimaPoohUltimaPooh Registered User new member
    Going solo for my first ever PAX so this seems like an awesome way to meet people! Joined up with the Nights Watch!

• DevierueDevierue Registered User regular
    An icy chill blows from the North, fierce and unforgiving. The usual bustle of the Riverwalk falls to a hushed murmur; dead leaves swirl and dance in nervous anticipation. Little birds chirp and squeak, oblivious to what lies ahead.

But the crows...the crows are silent. Still.

They know.

The river laps eternal against the rocks.

The water remembers.

The water cannot forget.

You steel yourself against the biting cold, listening for the words of the wind.

If you are brave enough...

If you are wise enough...

The old gods will bless you with a secret...

....a leaf falls....

...."Bacon brownies are coming."

A CALL TO ALL FREE FOLK!

Welcome (or welcome back!) to a Shot of Ice and Fire. 2018 marks the fourth battle in our epic quest for drunken glory - whether you're an ambitious new warrior or the most seasoned spear-wife, you'll find no better company in any of the Seven Kingdoms. We have no use for the fancy titles, no silly ideas of nobility - we are bonded by the blood booze we spill swill in battle! Our warriors have courageous hearts, impressive stamina, and the livers of gods.

Many of your fellow Wildlings can be found on the Book of Faces

Check Twitter (@PAXWildlings) for the latest intelligence from our allies.
    NINE DAYS REMAIN.

PREPARE YOUR LIVERS.

THE WILDLINGS ARE COMING.

edited January 2018
    8 Days from now we will be meeting new friends, getting boozy and raising money for Child's Play. We are currently finalizing the bars & routes and they will be added to the OP as soon as that is done. We still have open spots but those will fill as we get closer to PAX so go yell at your friends and tell them to get their spot before they are all gone.

All volunteer spots are filled but feel free to reserve a spot even if you aren't a drinker. To earn your button for the challenges, just show a house lead that you have a glass of water.

Routes are now listed under your House spoiler. Please check there for your registration location.

Etaoin on
    7paDBmR.png
  • HopieHopie Miss Enforcer TexasRegistered User regular
    Devierue wrote: »
    An icy chill blows from the North, fierce and unforgiving. The usual bustle of the Riverwalk falls to a hushed murmur; dead leaves swirl and dance in nervous anticipation. Little birds chirp and squeak, oblivious to what lies ahead.

But the crows...the crows are silent. Still.

They know.

The river laps eternal against the rocks.

The water remembers.

The water cannot forget.

You steel yourself against the biting cold, listening for the words of the wind.

If you are brave enough...

If you are wise enough...

The old gods will bless you with a secret...

....a leaf falls....

...."Bacon brownies are coming."

A CALL TO ALL FREE FOLK!

Welcome (or welcome back!) to a Shot of Ice and Fire. 2018 marks the fourth battle in our epic quest for drunken glory - whether you're an ambitious new warrior or the most seasoned spear-wife, you'll find no better company in any of the Seven Kingdoms. We have no use for the fancy titles, no silly ideas of nobility - we are bonded by the blood booze we spill swill in battle! Our warriors have courageous hearts, impressive stamina, and the livers of gods.

Many of your fellow Wildlings can be found on the Book of Faces

Check Twitter (@PAXWildlings) for the latest intelligence from our allies.
    NINE DAYS REMAIN.

PREPARE YOUR LIVERS.

THE WILDLINGS ARE COMING.

I’m on your team!

We are sold out! Keep your eyes peeled for cancellations. I will post them on twitter first and then here.

7paDBmR.png
  • AggressAggress Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I somehow missed signups by a day -_- Will be keeping an eye for cancellations.

PS Thanks to everyone who is organizing/assisting.

Aggress on
    edited January 2018
    1 spot available in Stark

Etaoin on
    7paDBmR.png
  • AggressAggress Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    1 spot available in Stark

Thanks for heads up, nabbed it! Been every year, can't break this tradition. (͡ ͡° ͜ つ ͡͡°)

• jthom252jthom252 Duarte, CARegistered User regular
    edited July 2019

jthom252 on
    The crawl starts tomorrow! Here's a preview of some the goodies House Lannister will have to share.

Entries for the script signed by Peter Dinklage, Maisie Williams, Sophie Turner, and David Benioff are 1/$10, 3/$25, and 8/$50.

Kigkrub.png?1
    F5i8RhG.pngFuxDaiv.png
    TQVLwQL.pngld35xYe.png

Hungry during the crawl? House Lannister members will be offering Tyrion's golden coins - as well as some homemade gold marshmallows - for donations.

TaEaf8L.png?1

We'll see everyone tomorrow!

2 spots available in Lannister

7paDBmR.png
    edited January 2018
    House Targaryen will be offering shot glasses as usual. This year they are a beautiful stainless steel. Get them for $10 at the Davenport during registration or find me during the crawl. 4uhv7ik7wyyh.jpg

Etaoin on
    7paDBmR.png
  • TheDeadpoolzTVTheDeadpoolzTV Registered User new member

Those spots still available?

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod

Check the registration page, if you can register for them, yes!

Excited for tomorrow night! See you all there.

• TheDeadpoolzTVTheDeadpoolzTV Registered User new member
    zerzhul wrote: »

Check the registration page, if you can register for them, yes!

Gotcha. Nothing available on the site as of now. Hopefully something pops up before the event!