As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth] Afterbirth+ is live!

• Options
    chris: waffle kingchris: waffle king whiskey-fueled crank Osaka's OverbellyRegistered User regular
    Quick heads up for anyone still playing, particularly if you're still going for unlocks.

If you're working on getting to Mega Satan, don't pick up the Filigree Feather trinket from the latest Booster Pack. It changes the Key Piece drops from the Angel Statues into items from the Angel Room pool. i don't know if they're any random item, or if they go through a set cycle (the reason i wonder is, i got teleported into the Angel Room from a Self Sacrifice room, The Body was there as an item. When i beat the Angel Statue, it dropped The Soul; and when i went back to the SSR and beat the next Angel, i picked up The Mind...not impossible, but unusual).

Of course, if you're not going for Megs, but have gotten stuck with Angel Rooms, or picked up Duality, it's a pretty damn good trinket, 'cause you'll always at least get something from the Angel Room.

steam_sig.png
    時計仕掛けの子の丸々太った磁器の顔に表情は無いが、転がりながら、口がカチッと開閉して、腕が上下に動い た。

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
    Wanna watch a gaijin butcher monsters and the Japanese Language all at once? Sure you do, and now you can!
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I have thought for a long time now that Angel Rooms and the Dark Room could use a balancing rework. They just aren't as worth it as Devil Rooms/The Chest.

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I've yet to get the + DLC; how hard is it to add bosses? It's all I'd want to add, but I'd go for it if its possible (without lots of work arounds and jankiness). They wouldn't even be hard ones, just some variety for the Basement.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    actually, that makes me wonder. Did they ever update the mod tools to be not absolute trash?

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I'm working on getting my last like, 5 achievements. I need rerun, i think something regarding doing a bunch of dailies. Not sure if it requires actually completing the daily or simply attempting it. I think I've completed about 5 in a row right now.

In the funny stories about me being stupid file, i ended a decent run by forgetting how void worked. I'd gotten in the habit of hoovering up stuff, and voided a Plan C, for some dumb reason forgetting that it was an active item, not a passive.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Plan C is a bad item

• Options
    Yeah, the only real use it has is if you're trying to hit unlocks on hard bosses, but delirium at least and maybe a couple others have a long enough death animation that it'll kill you before you credit.

And most other bosses if you can get to them, you can probably kill them.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Plan C is a bad item

fight me

also what is plan c

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Plan C is a bad item

fight me

also what is plan c

It's a 1 time use item that kills everything in the room, then kills you 3 seconds later.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    chris: waffle kingchris: waffle king whiskey-fueled crank Osaka's OverbellyRegistered User regular
    If you Plan C with 9Lives (or any non-Laz Rags rez item), will you get the kill credit? Or will you need to refight the boss, since you respawn outside the room?

steam_sig.png

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
    Wanna watch a gaijin butcher monsters and the Japanese Language all at once? Sure you do, and now you can!
  • Options
    Depends on the circumstances
    Isaac Wiki wrote:
    Plan C does not kill both phases of bosses like Hush, Ultra Greed, and Mega Satan, and is most useful when used during the last phase of these multi-phase bosses. After killing bosses, however, you will not be able to reach the chest or next floor in time. The kill still counts as a victory for Completion Marks, but the run will still end without extra lives.

While using this will technically kill Delirium, his death animation takes longer than 3 seconds, meaning you will die first and it will not count as a Delirium kill. Having extra lives that re-spawn your character outside the room will not help either; you must fight Delirium again.
    However, if playing as Lazarus or if Lazarus' Rags Lazarus' Rags is obtained, using Plan C against Delirium will net a very easy kill.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    If anybody wants an easy daily.
    Today's
    No treasure rooms, but you start with Brimstone, Holy Mantle, Spoon Bender, Rubber Cement, and Tammy's Head.
    If you turn down the floor 2 devil deal, you can get a grail in the angel room for flight. Pretty easy to steamroll.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Well, i finally did it.
    I got 1000000%.
    I beat the Binding of Isaac.
    It took like 2 hours of breaking the shit out of greed mode pull the last 4 pedestal items i needed (all but 1 being angel room items, with the last being tonsil). I wasn't paying attention and fucked up on one of the floors and accidentally teleported myself to the error room, in the process losing both my Blank Card + 2 diamonds infinite money setup and my swallowed penny (for slower infinite money as keeper). But at that point all I needed was Tonsil and that floor had a trinket slot and i was capped on coins with a steam sale so I could buy 33 at a time. It took like 3 full 99-0 buys until I got one. At that point it was just damaging myself with bombs (and scraping up enough pennies by various means to heal myself) until the follower appeared.

Then I went and tried to kill greed and the game locked up when it tried to play his death animation while he was taking like 100k damage per second.

edit: I just now realized it probably wasn't locked, it was probably just his statue taking damage and the ridiculous shot animations not clearing because they always had something to hit and pierce then track back on to.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Quick question, is "It's the Key" bugged? i did a run this morning, didn't pick up any hearts, bombs, or coins, but the unlock didn't pop. Was pretty cheesed off, 'cause the run was absurdly good.

chris: waffle king on
    steam_sig.png

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
  • Options
    I had that happen once and I think what it was a blue or black heart right by a door or something that I didn't see. And since I was The Lost there was no way of knowing that I'd grabbed it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Had a crazy mad bomber run.

Bob's Curse
    Bobby-Bomb
    Mr. Mega
    Sad Bombs
    Bomber Boy
    Scatter Bombs
    Curse of the Tower
    Mom's Knife

Taking damage pretty much resulted in the whole room blowing up with knives flying everywhere.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Bomber boy is so great with things like that.
    Some of my greed runs where I broke the game I had Bomber Boy + Prize Bombs.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I had that happen once and I think what it was a blue or black heart right by a door or something that I didn't see. And since I was The Lost there was no way of knowing that I'd grabbed it.

It's possible, i'll have to watch the video. Bum Friend doesn't count as you picking up the coin, does it?

steam_sig.png

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
  • Options

It's possible, i'll have to watch the video. Bum Friend doesn't count as you picking up the coin, does it?

It does not.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    New Booster Pack dropped yesterday! The language setting (at least for Japanese) seems to be fixed.

The backpack came over from Antibirth, i had no memory of how to use it, and threw away my Diplopia. [edit to add] PlatinumGod says CTRL swaps items, but i don't know what that maps to on a PS4 controller[/eta] Death's List was in there, that was from Antibirth too, wasn't it? All i noticed about it was it put skulls over enemies's heads.

There are new enemies, as well. There's a rotating turret that i came to loathe almost immediately. There's a fat fly that upon death makes a brimstone portal that will shoot brim-lasers in a cross pattern after a second or so.

There's also some instability in it. i had one run (out of four recordings yesterday), where things started to bug out somewhere around the womb. My Mom's Knife turned into a giant white block. The screen lit up (and stayed that way until the chest). It also crashed out maybe three times, but the crashes didn't seem triggered by anything in particular (like trying to enter the Blue Womb used to). i was, eventually, able to finish that run.

i don't know if this is the last booster pack or not, if they're adding in enemies as well, i'd love to see a couple of the Antibirth bosses come over (Baby Plum!).

chris: waffle king on
    steam_sig.png

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Edmund McMillen did a New Year's Q&A where he answered a few frequently asked questions.

He confirmed that he's no longer a part of Team Meat, which I kind of knew based on his previous "Tommy and I are working independently" responses to similar questions. I did miss the Team Meat interview from September where they had confirmed that Edmund was not part of the team anymore. I'm guessing it was just a conflict of priorities; obviously The Binding of Isaac was a big change for him. It probably did better for him than Super Meat Boy, and so his focus was more devoted to that game than Team Meat's stuff.

Sounds like McMillen plans to work on MewGenics again.

He talked about The Legend of Bum-bo and said it "is a mix of Puzzle Quest and The Binding of isaac, with a tactics spin, and is technically a prequel to the binding of Isaac…"

More stuff about The Binding of Isaac here too:
    Q: i hear you are considering a sequel to the binding of Isaac, is this true?!

A: truth be told, i tend to design sequels to projects i love pretty soon after release, sometimes those turn into totally new IPs, sometimes the ideas die and other times you get diarrhea. what does this mean for Isaac 2? i have no idea, but please leave me alone.

Q: Is this really the end of Isaac? no more dlc?

A: i did say many times this was going to be the last isaac DLC.. and at the time i strongly believed it. but there seems to be something pretty cool on the horizon, its creeping up slowly.. its familiar but a bit different and its being held up by a group of people… when i squint i think i can make out a… oh sorry i gotta go, there is someone watching me in my space ship.

• Options
    i'm tentatively interested to try Bum-bo out. i really like the look of what i've seen so far, but i can't really parse how it's supposed to play.
    Don't know i necessarily need an Isaac2. i can kind of understand starting with a fresh slate and retooling everything/trying new things out, but i'm still satisfied with my Afterbirth+ experience.

steam_sig.png

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
  • Options
    Maybe The Binding of Isaac 2 could just be an actual turn-based roguelike.

• Options
    Oh! Finally got some utility outta Pop! Turns out Pop plus Marked (and maybe Lump of Coal, i had that, but i don't know that it was integral), will fill a room with eyes in about 2seconds flat, and erase bosses in about half a second after. Ultra greed had just about enough time to finish his entrance animation (and this is SuperMegaGreedierMode Ultra Greed we're talking here).

steam_sig.png

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
  • Options
    Hey, if any of y'all are still doing daily runs, today's is absurdly fun.

steam_sig.png

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
  • Options
    Hey, if any of y'all are still doing daily runs, today's is absurdly fun.

I'm not regularly doing them, but since you said it was fun, I gave it a shot. You, uh, did a little better than me:
    36A0564CB1717B13013E4F6E44E5AA1A4D1AB6C8

• Options
    i think it's one of my best rankings. D100 into conjoined Brimstone Guppy, Sad Bombs and Telepathy for Dummies in the Void. Even if i hadn't brought down Mama Mega from the Blue Womb, everything was going to end up wrecked. i think the second half of the recording is just me cackling madly.

steam_sig.png

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    I played/beat/enjoyed isaac on Wii U no DLC. I'm starting to think maybe I'd like to play again on Switch. Does the new DLC stuff add much to the base game?

• Options
    The DLC is really good. Unfortunately the Switch version hasn't caught up with the booster packs on PC yet.

• Options
    Are you sure, josh? i've been playing the Switch version (i know, i know), and i'm...actually...ok, i think i've seen the Backpack. That was in the most recent booster, wasn't it. Crud, now that i've gone and opened my mouth, i'm not sure anymore; i'll have to check.

steam_sig.png

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
  • Options
    Nope, it’s definitely not on Switch yet

• Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    Ooo I see, thanks. Maybe I'll hold off.

I mean I guess I should def hold off since I've played it already and there's a bunch of new games I want just around the corner. Celeste in particular. Still crossing my fingers for the Longshot of Towerfall appearing at some point, it would be so perfect on switch.

• Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    I recently discovered by accident that pressing the home/dashboard button on a 360 controller causes the screen to flicker brighter twice. A minor thing but I'd not read or heard about it before.

You could mash it to illuminate dark dungeons I suppose, a little impractical but it's something!

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Wonder if something like that can be done on the Switch version. i've got gamma cranked and Curse of Darkness is fucking dark.

steam_sig.png

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
  • Options
    I've never adjusted my brightness because I'm not a dirty cheater.
    Actually it's because I'm lazy and don't want to constantly readjust it.

• Options
    SteevL wrote: »
    I've never adjusted my brightness because I'm not a dirty cheater.
    Actually it's because I'm lazy and don't want to constantly readjust it.

Yeaah...i mean on pc and ps4, sure. But on my switch, it's just too much.
    Speaking of version differences, it'd be neat if they could make item sprites not invisible when i'm playing in Japanese. A couple of the most recent booster items just show as empty pedestals (the one that turns your tears into exploding blood bombs, f'rex).

steam_sig.png

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    I turn the gamma up in every game because everything is too damn dark.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    I turn the gamma up in every game because everything is too damn dark.

Oh yeah, every time I load up a game for the first time and it gives me the "adjust the brightness until you can just barely see this thing" I usually turn it up a few notches higher.

• Options
    Actually, synchronicity with the Switch thread, i wonder if i've got one of the Switches with the slightly dimmer screen. It's one of the Splatoon2 bundle ones, so not a launch unit. It's never really given me an issue, wouldn't have even thought much of it if they hadn't been talking about it in the other thread. But it would explain why i have such an issue with Curse of the Darkness.

Aside, today's daily was...a thing. Blue boy with Numbers 1 and 2, Butt Bombs, and Flush. No Item rooms or Shops. To Mom's Heart. i played like garbage, to be honest, a fairly large amount of dumb damage. Did find an Ewaz to get to Sheol, but missed out on Boss Rush. Resigned myself to a crap rank, and that would have been fine. Wrapped it up and ended up at 154th. Did no one play this one or something?

steam_sig.png

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)