As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Vanity Thread 3.0: Harder, Better, Faster, [chat]er

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Google had me sign in to my account yesterday on my home machine and it freaked me out. Probably some window update reset my cookies. Weird thing was it was saying authorize a machine in redmond when I live in bothell, but I remembered that for some reason the geo coding for my area (like weather apps etc) always tags us in redmond.

I've seen some weird cert prompts in Google apps lately.

I've had weird twitch sign outs as well. If I had to take a doesn't know shit about internet security guess, its probably back end stuff related to that intel chip thing.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Casual wrote: »
    Sad truth of the matter is capitalism works exactly the way we always feared it does, businesses give zero fucks about the individual customer and that is 100% down to a vocal minority of lunatics that make it impossible to run a real complaints process.

We wouldnt keep employees longer than a week if complaints actually meant anything. Complaints and report functions are basically like the buttons on the road crossing, pushing them makes eejits feel like they're in control but really the button isn't hooked up to anything.

you blame capitalism but then credit it with not letting the lunatic minority get their way

I don't see the downside here

The lunatic minority are actually running things too. There's just a lunatic poor minority that is upset that they aren't yet rich too and feel the need to yell at a customer service rep because of it.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    China's continued descent into creepy state dystopia with government/ccp run dating activities!

I mean it is kind of creepy but actually China isn't the first. Tokyo and a few other municipalities in Japan have done stuff like this off and on for years to try and get the Japanese to have babies.

I think the creepy part is that it is run by the CCP. Thus you get that faux Marxist creepiness to it.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Gim wrote: »
    So we all live on thin steak strips hurtling through space?

Aren't we technically thin steak strips hurtling through space?

Maek u think

I ate an engineer
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    I can't talk shit on spam after discovering the boiling pot of spicy joy that is budae jjigae.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    Hey Atomika. How did that session with your ma and the therapist go? Did you talk about it here? If not, that's cool. I was just wondering.

It went . . . okay. Not awful. Within the bounds of realistic expectations. A decent enough effort to keep trying to move forward.

She says I should probably write off my dad and brother, however. Not that I hadn’t already.

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    I'd really struggle in a position where I'd have to take a lot of calls at a desk. I'm pretty much incapable of talking on the phone without pacing around. But a body in motion is a mind in motion and all that.

when phone calls at home stretch on I sometimes find myself getting dressed, putting on coats, going outside, and walking like four kilometres down the road while talking, without thinking about it at all

ftOqU21.png
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Hey Amy, where in the PNW are you moving to?

Seattle!!

• IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    oh shit my turns up next...

tenor.gif

I missed something is this like a phone conference meeting or are you just insanely done with the place to be live-tweeting it?

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    So it's in the 50s here today, after 16 days of sub-10 degrees, and about a week of 20s-30s

I woke up and a foot of snow that was there previously, wasn't

I'm a little fearful for my basement crawlspace and/or wetlands in town

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    Arch wrote: »
    Xenomorphs

Are good

Man is the real monster

Well, you don't see them fucking each other over for a goddamn percentage.

sig.gif
  • EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular

I had to go into the comments for the answer :o

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    desc wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    many years ago i had a customer trying to play hardball with getting credit for a returned part she hadn't actually sent back yet

and i calmly explained that i needed the part back before i could issue credit for several minutes

but she wouldn't relent and kept getting shittier

so finally i just said, "look, you fucking shithead, if you want your god damned credit you're going to have to send the fucking part back first" and hung up on her

and apparently she was just offended that i said "god damned"

they don't let me talk to customers much anymore

Okay but

Fuck people like that

The world is full of people whose go-to phone move is "just be shittier and shittier" because they're relying on companies using phone people as sacrificial lambs until they eventually throw the angry customer some bone and it works often enough with no repercussions

Fuck 'em

oh i have no regrets for sure

i don't take shit from nobody

*brofist*

It gets jack shit from me either. If they keep making the same demand to me I just keep saying EXACTLY the same sentence to them in a progressively more and more "explaining like they're five" tone of voice and if they swear at me I'm like "I don't have to take your call byeee" and hang up on them

Basic rules of being a customer on the phone to me,

1) The customer is not always right. I'm the one doing this professionally, I'm the one that tells you how it is not the other way around.

2) You the customer is the one asking me for help, I am not obliged to give it. Speak to me like an asshole and you can find someone else to deal with your problem for you.

3) If I say I'm not going to be providing you with service for whatever reason there is a finite amount of time I'm going to spend 'splainin it to you. No I don't care what you're going to do now that's your problem not mine, I got shit to do today other than repeating the word "no" to you for an hour.

It's amazing how many people get on the phone to customer service people thinking they're the ones in complete and total control and it veeeeerrrryyy much does not work like that, you come on my turf you're playing by my rules SON.
    Yeah, no reason to be rude. It is important to know what you can and cannot do in terms with calling customer service. If it is outside the normal realm of shit they are allowed to do come in from a different avenue.

Personally I like to email the executive assistant of someone with some pull. I keep a contact list for such incidents.

That being said other than having Comcast replace a router that was busted, then recall that router they replaced 3 weeks later and send me another one. In a fucken bizarre game of router hot potato where they ended up giving me a small credit on my bill because of the inconvenience (I didn't ask they just did it). I haven't had to call customer service recently. My shit just all works.

*knocks on wood*

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Honk wrote: »
    Update to Dark Souls Remastered info

Coming to Switch as well as the current gen and PC

That's awesome but man

the potential fps... I guess probably From doesn't port it themselves.

I've seen enough DS to not want to buy a remaster for PS4 but if it comes to Switch I will easily buy it if it's over 10fps.

It’s a 3rd party porting I believe.

I'm late to this but Bethesda let a 3rd party port Doom and it turned out ridiculously good

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »

I had to go into the comments for the answer :o

*reads first hint comment*

god damn it

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Dark souls remastered to nintendo switch you say

• navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    12?

navgoose on
  • cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    I wonder what The Newsroom would have been like if Sorkin had created it now.

So much of it seems incredibly fanciful yet extremely relevant today.

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

ugh that show

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular

Sorkin is pure liberal optimism condensed into a single writer, I doubt it'd have changed that much.

• SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    https://www.military.com/kitup/2018/01/05/m27s-and-head-toe-gear-overhaul-way-marine-grunts.html

Marines are getting that H&K piston AR with a 1-8 power optic for everyone @matt has a problem
    But with major Marine Corps investments for new rotary-wing and fixed-wing aviation platforms well underway, cost may not be the obstacle it once was for the service. The commandant signaled his plan to invest heavily in the infantry when speaking with deployed Marines during his yearly Christmas tour.

The Marines' new 5th-generation fighter, the F-35B Joint Strike Fighter, costs roughly $100 million per copy, Neller told troops at one of a dozen town hall-style addresses he gave in the span of seven days in late December.

"I could kit out every grunt in the Marine Corps with the coolest s*** head-to-toe for $100 million," he said. "And I intend to do that."

I thought the last point was illustrative. All of the trials for infantry kit to replace the M16/M4 since the 80s, all of the whinging about armor, radios, NVGs, uniform costs, etc., and it's just like

Yes, we will have one less fewer aircraft.

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    ok i survived and was prepared for the shit he brought and was like 'ACTUALLY NO' the question your bringing up isn't even relvent

here's a bunch other numbers that are actually good!

also happy birthday bob

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
    The Switch port of Dark Souls seems like it'll be tricky given the portable nature of the console and the internet connected nature of the game. But it's coming to PC so whoo.

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    https://www.military.com/kitup/2018/01/05/m27s-and-head-toe-gear-overhaul-way-marine-grunts.html

Marines are getting that H&K piston AR with a 1-8 power optic for everyone @matt has a problem
    But with major Marine Corps investments for new rotary-wing and fixed-wing aviation platforms well underway, cost may not be the obstacle it once was for the service. The commandant signaled his plan to invest heavily in the infantry when speaking with deployed Marines during his yearly Christmas tour.

The Marines' new 5th-generation fighter, the F-35B Joint Strike Fighter, costs roughly $100 million per copy, Neller told troops at one of a dozen town hall-style addresses he gave in the span of seven days in late December.

"I could kit out every grunt in the Marine Corps with the coolest s*** head-to-toe for $100 million," he said. "And I intend to do that."

I thought the last point was illustrative. All of the trials for infantry kit to replace the M16/M4 since the 80s, all of the whinging about armor, radios, NVGs, uniform costs, etc., and it's just like

Tfw the DM Santa Clauses the whole party with loot

• Captain UltraCaptain Ultra low resolution pictures of birds Registered User regular
    it does seem weird to have a fictional show that its central thesis is "The Republican Party has rotted", but seasons 2 and 3 were a big improvement on season 1.

i started looking at that puzzle and then realized i'm not a mathematician so i laughed and kept scrolling past

Arch,
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    The Switch port of Dark Souls seems like it'll be tricky given the portable nature of the console and the internet connected nature of the game. But it's coming to PC so whoo.

the internet part was never ever intergral to the game tho it was just a neat feature

does the DVD copy of NewRoom have a special commentary track thats Aaron Sorkin jerking off to every scene

Ilpala wrote: »
    oh shit my turns up next...

tenor.gif

I missed something is this like a phone conference meeting or are you just insanely done with the place to be live-tweeting it?

it's just a conference call with one of my dealerships that i do SEO for

Arch,
  • cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    it does seem weird to have a fictional show that its central thesis is "The Republican Party has rotted", but seasons 2 and 3 were a big improvement on season 1.

Eh, I think that was a big narrative point. But the central theme of the show was the nobility and duty of news organizations to faithfully report on the world to the public. Something very relevant to a lot of current discourse on the subject.

now someone on the call is talking about millennials and everyone keeps referring to me

Arch,
    now someone on the call is talking about millennials and everyone keeps referring to me

You are the millennialist

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    The Marines used light MARSOC body armor and advanced AN/PVS-31A night vision devices. They also got 60-round Magpul drums, allowing them to increase the amount of ammunition they carried.

Wade said that the high-end night vision equipment had proved its worth recently during a nighttime exercise at Marine Corps Air-Ground Combat Center 29 Palms, California.

"That rifle squad moved faster at night than the live fire-safety chaperones," he said. "[The Über Squad moved too fast for them to keep up because they had better night vision goggles."

Black Ops 3 is real

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular

Fukkin sweet, the MR556 should come down in price finally.

nibXTE7.png
    SniperGuy wrote: »

the internet part was never ever intergral to the game tho it was just a neat feature

I feel that without the messages, ghosts of other players, and invasions, Dark Souls would lose some of the best most unique parts of itself. Sure, it can be enjoyed without those things, but those things really make it shine I think. I would also hope a remaster would tighten up some of the issues of the first game. Not integral but seems a shame that people will potentially lose out on that stuff.

edited January 2018
    This is p. cool

Snoopy is the official NASA safety mascot, and every astronaut brings a silver Snoopy lapel pin up with them. Upon returning from space, astronauts give someone who helped keep them safe their pin. It's only (typically) available for non-managerial employees:

https://www.nasa.gov/directorates/heo/sfa/aac/silver-snoopy-award

lbPo4KD.jpg

SummaryJudgment on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    The Marines used light MARSOC body armor and advanced AN/PVS-31A night vision devices. They also got 60-round Magpul drums, allowing them to increase the amount of ammunition they carried.

Wade said that the high-end night vision equipment had proved its worth recently during a nighttime exercise at Marine Corps Air-Ground Combat Center 29 Palms, California.

"That rifle squad moved faster at night than the live fire-safety chaperones," he said. "[The Über Squad moved too fast for them to keep up because they had better night vision goggles."

Black Ops 3 is real

Uber Squad is a terrible, terrible name.

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Something is off about Dankey Kang's voice.

https://youtu.be/a_u7g5BlfiY?t=539

Eh, I think that was a big narrative point. But the central theme of the show was the nobility and duty of news organizations to faithfully report on the world to the public. Something very relevant to a lot of current discourse on the subject.

and how treating female coworkers like shit is totally cool

This discussion has been closed.