As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

m3nace draws in tiny boxes

13»

• Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    redacted because stuff that is now secret!

m3nace on
  • Options
    ToasticusToasticus yeah YEAHRegistered User regular
    Hey that's awesome! Very amusing fish-out-of-water situation. It has a nice relaxed pacing to it, unhurried but not plodding, not over-eager to go for laughs.
    I really liked the minor gags like bumping into the ladder!

Her going to hug the bot after kind of messing everything up was an unexpected nice moment, I was totally expecting her to slap the crap out of the bot instead.

So er, the accidental head-cutting-off feels like a complete 180 in tone to the rest of the piece, which was more like "haha whoops, but no real harm done." I feel like it undoes a lot of the emotional work you'd set up. As a last gag to end on, maybe something more along the lines of the rest (annoying but harmless) would work better? Like the old lady suddenly getting a static shock that poofs up her hair to look really ridiculous or something.

• Options
    New comic in the works, I hope to make at least 2 pages a week for this, and make it as a webcomic. For now I'll just keep building a little library and then launch it after summer I think.
    tumblr_npfglqs7aI1s37o1ho1_1280.png
    tumblr_npfglqs7aI1s37o1ho2_1280.png
    tumblr_npfglqs7aI1s37o1ho3_1280.png
    tumblr_npfglqs7aI1s37o1ho4_1280.png
    tumblr_npfglqs7aI1s37o1ho5_1280.png
    tumblr_npfglqs7aI1s37o1ho6_1280.png
    tumblr_npfglqs7aI1s37o1ho7_1280.png
    tumblr_npfglqs7aI1s37o1ho8_1280.png
    tumblr_npfglqs7aI1s37o1ho9_1280.png
    tumblr_npfglqs7aI1s37o1ho10_1280.png

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    This is fantastic!

• Options
    Hark, an update! Recent things I also mostly posted in the doodle thread:

V4qltGx.jpg?1

tumblr_ntx0pmrCkU1s37o1ho1_540.png

tumblr_nty1utPl4w1s37o1ho1_540.png

tumblr_nu3lppxl811s37o1ho1_540.png

tumblr_nu3lppxl811s37o1ho2_540.png

tumblr_ntww31ucMC1s37o1ho1_540.png

tumblr_ntww31ucMC1s37o1ho2_540.png

tumblr_ntww31ucMC1s37o1ho3_r1_540.png

• Options
    GreathouseGreathouse That's my name AtlantaRegistered User regular
    This Night ride stuff is amazing. What is it for? Love to color and the use of those blacks!

• Options
    We had an assignment to do a chase scene on two pages. I'm pretty proud of it too, basically spent a whole day doing thumbnails, sheesh. The colors are manually separated spot colors, so this would look awesome in print!

• Options
  • Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    m3nace wrote: »
    Hark, an update! Recent things I also mostly posted in the doodle thread:

tumblr_ntww31ucMC1s37o1ho3_r1_540.png

I identify strongly with this dude

• Options
    edited October 2015
    tumblr_nvlf4zj0Kg1s37o1ho1_540.png
    edit: also did a new version of the batman strip
    tumblr_nvcn5c4tPT1s37o1ho1_540.png

m3nace on
  • Options
    This week we had Matt Forsythe, former lead designer on adventure time, for some good ole character design. This is the stuff I produced.
    gsber91ctw95.png
    pgv401hfgpaj.png
    e3k8h235t8rl.png
    uhrmx71seqc5.png

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Man those look ready for adventure time, nice. Are you going to color them?

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Yeah maybe. I don't know if I should put them on my blog though, I mean I like the designs I did, but it's not exactly the kind of art identity I'm trying to paint myself into... I'd actually like to hear you guys' opinions on how to (or whether you should or shouldn't) brand yourself as an artist. But yeah, maybe I'll color them, could be a fun little thing to do.

m3nace on
  • Options
    ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    i think it's important to develop and present an aesthetic which is in a way uniquely yours, but i also think that depending on the work you're looking for, a lot employers would like to see a diversity of techniques, or demonstrating (like you do so well here) an ability to adhere to a preordained style/limitations

• Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I'd still definitely push a couple of those to polish and include the set of them in a portfolio, especially as they're all so cohesive and show a good adherence to style. You can clearly demonstrate a lot of your own ability and design within the parameters of someone else's house style-- plus there's a cool story behind it!

• Options
    Redonedid an old piece:
    tumblr_nyqwj5t9EW1s37o1ho1_1280.png

• Options
    MacMcCrackMacMcCrack Duchess of Manboob Wherever mediocrity is celebratedRegistered User regular
    very cool

comicrocket%20banner.jpg
  • Options
    acadiaacadia Registered User regular
    I love the punchline to that one! I'd maybe push the set up dialogue from the ship passengers to be more flowery or aristocratic. Maybe change Betty to Beatrice or something, use the term 'whale song'.

• Options
    m3nace wrote: »
    Thanks bro. I'd been thinking a lot about what Frank Santoro taught us half a year ago about how the first gestural drawing is usually the best as well. So anyways when I posted this to tumblr yesterday I immediately got a mail from Frank that simply read "yes." Haha. He then reblogged it to comicsworkbook and now it's got like 150 notes on tumblr. I think I'll be doing more of these and put a zine together or something. Next up is either art deco robots, or 1950s space adventure tackled through this weird mix of humor and tragedy. I think with this comic I've finally found a voice that is distinctly mine and so I'm kind of pumped about that.

Hah, what the fuck. Just stumbled across this old-ass comment of mine and would you look at what I published a couple of months ago.
    wqmc17r5bz5e.png
    Pssst! Read the entire thing here: https://www.beingernst.com/comics#/disconnector/

Either way. It's been a while since this thread saw some action, figured I'd let you guys know what I've been up to in the meantime.
    First up I'm finishing up an animated short with my friend Nilas. With some funding from the artist residency where I'm currently still at we got to hire two animators, a cg artist and a sound designer to help us work on this 6 minute long animation about a robot war veteran who gets hired to work in a hair salon for cats.
    The film is called A Robot is a Robot, an homage to french new wave and Gertrude Stein. It features copious hair simulation.
    7aog2j0dh2si.png

Meanwhile I'm also working with a semi-renown danish literary writer on piecing together a story for a comic that I'm gonna be drawing, scheduled release is like a year from now or something. This is what it looks like:
    wl8qwv1rqrw6.png
    tn9c2rtzyqx8.png
    fwamgpqzwvgr.png

Damn, I've come a long way from being stoked about getting 150 notes on tumblr for a 10 page comic. Life's good and I can credit this little forumspace for a lot of that. Anxiety-ridden and depressed teenage-me really needed a space like this when none of my friends had any interest in genre-illustration or comics whatsoever.

• Options
    SeveredHeadSeveredHead Registered User regular
    your angles are pretty cool

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    @m3nace super stoked that you are doing well!!