As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I'll be your 1-Up Girl! [Super Mario Odyssey]

• LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Mblackwell wrote: »
    plufim wrote: »
    Matthew wrote: »
    OK, after seeing the ending, I got to ask, is this proof that Princess Peach is playing Mario and Bowser against each other for her own amusement?
    When Mario originally approached her with the flower she was surprised. She only got mad when Bowser and Mario started literally competing with each other for her affection infront of her. Which seems reasonable.
    I'm OK with her saying no. It's when she stole Mario's ride and was prepared to leave him stranded on the moon that things got a little dark.

She shouts to Mario:
    *sigh* Let's go home!
    Which she could have been saying to the caps for all we know. :)

She was also gambling pretty hard that Mario would actually make it on the ship since she was shockingly far out. And technically Mario wouldn't have made it on his own, he needed the boost from Bowser's face to make it.

...I am being a petty prick here. It obviously doesn't matter, it was all played for comedy, don't think about it, yadda yadda. Still, I was just mildly shocked seeing that cutscene. Like... woah.
    What got me was that Cappy was on the Odyssey with Peach and Tiara, so if it wasn't for Bowser's face being there, Mario would be walking home.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Game beaten! Now the game really begins.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Mblackwell wrote: »
    plufim wrote: »
    Matthew wrote: »
    OK, after seeing the ending, I got to ask, is this proof that Princess Peach is playing Mario and Bowser against each other for her own amusement?
    When Mario originally approached her with the flower she was surprised. She only got mad when Bowser and Mario started literally competing with each other for her affection infront of her. Which seems reasonable.
    I'm OK with her saying no. It's when she stole Mario's ride and was prepared to leave him stranded on the moon that things got a little dark.

She shouts to Mario:
    *sigh* Let's go home!
    Which she could have been saying to the caps for all we know. :)

She was also gambling pretty hard that Mario would actually make it on the ship since she was shockingly far out. And technically Mario wouldn't have made it on his own, he needed the boost from Bowser's face to make it.

...I am being a petty prick here. It obviously doesn't matter, it was all played for comedy, don't think about it, yadda yadda. Still, I was just mildly shocked seeing that cutscene. Like... woah.
    What got me was that Cappy was on the Odyssey with Peach and Tiara, so if it wasn't for Bowser's face being there, Mario would be walking home.
    Taxi cabs can make it to the moon, so he wouldn't have been walking.

And Bowser's survived being sucked into black holes before, so this was nothing.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    edited December 2017
    Oh, I wasn't worried about Bowser at all. As for the taxis? I guess if Mario manages to flag one down, but how long is he waiting in the meantime? I've tried to get taxis twice this week and one never came, while the other took its sweet time arriving. Mario might be better off walking!

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    aren't there warppipes to the moon

Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Alphagaia wrote: »
    JkQeYLl.png

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    JkQeYLl.png

One of my favorites!

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    JkQeYLl.png

One of my favorites!

aaaand now I feel old, but man, I loved that game

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I started the post game. This needed more worlds!

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    They need to bring back Tatanga. He would have been perfect for the Galaxy games.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • ikillkennyikillkenny Registered User regular
    I got 999 moons yesterday--although I didn't realize I could purchase more than a set number of moons so I still have the volleyball one to beat.

The game grew on me as I played more. There was certainly challenge to be had in some of the postgame stuff (I'm looking at you Bullet Bill section of Dark Side of the Moon). I'm eager for more in the form of DLC or a sequel.

• DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I'm starting this game just now.

Holy cow there are a LOT of moons. I have nearly 50 of the suckers in Tostarena and there's apparently still twenty to go. I expect I'm going to need good old Gamefaqs by the time I have only one or two left in a world.

Still, it seems fun.

Also, my mom is loving it, which is why I have barely been able to play myself. She's loving a Mario game that seems a lot lower on bottomless pits than usual.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »

Holy cow there are a LOT of moons. I have nearly 50 of the suckers in Tostarena and there's apparently still twenty to go. I expect I'm going to need good old Gamefaqs by the time I have only one or two left in a world.

Still, it seems fun.

Also, my mom is loving it, which is why I have barely been able to play myself. She's loving a Mario game that seems a lot lower on bottomless pits than usual.

FYI, you won't be able to collect all the moons on your first visit to a kingdom. Go for ones you see or suspect are there but don't drive yourself mad trying to complete the list.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
    edited January 2018
    Drascin wrote: »

Still, it seems fun.

FYI, you won't be able to collect all the moons on your first visit to a kingdom. Go for ones you see or suspect are there but don't drive yourself mad trying to complete the list.

Game does SUCH a good job of just... letting you poke around and earn constant rewards, and it only slows down when you sort of feel like you're ready to see something new... and then you can hit up a new world. I miss it and need to dive back into postgame. Was giving it a break because I blasted through it, but I'm ready for more.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Just beat this Saturday morning, started post-game yesterday morning. What a great game! Though I am not sure if I will go for the 100% completion- it is just a bit too daunting for me, perhaps. I'll keep playing as long as I am having fun, though.

I was a bit nervous going in, as I prefer the Galaxy game's "obstacle course" gameplay to Mario 64's "playground" gameplay (both are good!), and while I think that still holds true, Odyssey delivers plenty of both gameplay types to help keep it fresh and varied. Regardless, I would rather live in a world where we get both styles of game rather than just one, even if it means they have to take turns.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    No playable luigi makes me sad, but the minigame should be excellent fun.

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • bfickybficky Registered User regular
    I may be being pessimistic, but I'm worried that the balloon world minigame is going to be full of balloons placed in ridiculously far away locations where you have to do kaizo-esque platforming to get to them in time.

PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
  • WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    They need to bring back Tatanga. He would have been perfect for the Galaxy games.
    TATANGA. That was his name. I was trying to remember a while back and couldn't.

And yeah, I so expected to see him in the last story world in Odyssey.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
    edited January 2018
    Wyvern wrote: »

You're more optimistic than I am. Between not using him in Galaxy and not using Wario in NSMB2, I've given up on Nintendo using Mario's rogues gallery at times they'd make sense.

They could literally decide to have a game where Mario and Luigi explore a dream world, and the last guy I'd expect to see would be Wart -- oh wait, the did do that, in an RPG.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular

You're more optimistic than I am. Between not using him in Galaxy and not using Wario in NSMB2, I've given up on Nintendo using Mario's rogues gallery at times they'd make sense.

They could literally decide to have a game where Mario and Luigi explore a dream world, and the last guy I'd expect to see would be Wart -- oh wait, the did do that, in an RPG.

The problem there is that they already killed them off at the end of the games they were in. They'd either need to come up with some absurd justification for bringing them back to life, or admit that Mario canon is just completely screwed up and nothing that anyone does in it actually matters.

edited January 2018
    jothki wrote: »

The problem there is that they already killed them off at the end of the games they were in. They'd either need to come up with some absurd justification for bringing them back to life, or admit that Mario canon is just completely screwed up and nothing that anyone does in it actually matters.

B-but... Bowser burned to death at the end of SMB1. And other games. Many times over. And he's always springing up.

Edit: I had forgotten about how dope Tatanga is. I'd love for him to make a return. Come to think of it, I'm actually a little surprised that SMO (with all of its nostalgic love for the series) didn't AT LEAST include Wart.

GMaster7 on
  • homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    Wasn't the explanation that they're all just actors? Maybe Wart and Tatanga wanted better contracts.

Wasn't the explanation that they're all just actors? Maybe Wart and Tatanga wanted better contracts.

They got Pauline back. After everything she went through decades ago, she was still willing to sign on. You can't tell me that Wart and Tatanga were playing hardball.

• WyvernWyvern Registered User regular

...NSMB literally has a scene where you watch Bowser fall into lava and writhe in agony as the flesh melts off his bones.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    A bizarre inconsistency to be sure, but I for one am willing to overlook it as non-standard since basically all other media depicts Bowser as being immune to lava.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular

...NSMB literally has a scene where you watch Bowser fall into lava and writhe in agony as the flesh melts off his bones.

And then reanimated the bones. Don't forget that messed up fact!

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    GMaster7 wrote: »

They got Pauline back. After everything she went through decades ago, she was still willing to sign on. You can't tell me that Wart and Tatanga were playing hardball.

Pauline back is like Harrison Ford in Crystal Skull back. She's not playing the character anymore so much as just showing up and being paid to act exactly the way she was off-camera anyway.

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    or admit that Mario canon is just completely screwed up and nothing that anyone does in it actually matters.

Ding ding ding! You got it!

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
    Tatanga and Wart didn't die at the end of their games, though. Tatanga Returns in Super Mario Land 2, while Wart comes back in BS Super Mario USA and (if you're willing to include it, which I am, given the circumstances of the game) Link's Awakening.

Then there's all the Bowser stuff mentioned, and Wario never died.

As cartoony as they tend to play things, I question whether anyone really dies for good in Mario games.

• RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    Tatanga and Wart didn't die at the end of their games, though. Tatanga Returns in Super Mario Land 2, while Wart comes back in BS Super Mario USA and (if you're willing to include it, which I am, given the circumstances of the game) Link's Awakening.

As cartoony as they tend to play things, I question whether anyone really dies for good in Mario games.

They get transported to a giant bottle filled with other baddies after they get beat.

• AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    Is there a clown costume? When I finally get this game, I'm chasing those balloons screaming 'You'll float too!!!'

Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Is there a clown costume? When I finally get this game, I'm chasing those balloons screaming 'You'll float too!!!'

Yep.

wepka0clz3bp.png

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular

Beep beep Alphagaia

(There is)

RockinX wrote: »

They get transported to a giant bottle filled with other baddies after they get beat.

Pretty sure that's someone else's thing...
    latest?cb=20091012130910

• RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    RockinX wrote: »

Pretty sure that's someone else's thing...
    latest?cb=20091012130910

That's what I was referencing, lol.

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Well, I’ve reached the point I usually call my finishing point in modern 3D Marios. I’ve done everything except the final ridiculously long no checkpoint challenge level, and I’ve had enough attempts at it to be happy telling myself I could beat if I persevered long enough, but to do so would probably cross the fun/frustration barrier and it’s time play something else.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Well, I’ve reached the point I usually call my finishing point in modern 3D Marios. I’ve done everything except the final ridiculously long no checkpoint challenge level, and I’ve had enough attempts at it to be happy telling myself I could beat if I persevered long enough, but to do so would probably cross the fun/frustration barrier and it’s time play something else.

Assist mode works for that challenge. Standing still to regenerate health, and no auto dying if you fall in a pit. If you're comfortable with that kind of handicap, I don't think a soul in the world would blame you. Hell, I abused Peach amiibo healing for it.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular

Assist mode works for that challenge. Standing still to regenerate health, and no auto dying if you fall in a pit. If you're comfortable with that kind of handicap, I don't think a soul in the world would blame you. Hell, I abused Peach amiibo healing for it.
    I haven't attempted Darker Side yet, but in 3D World I took many attempts at Champion's Road specifically because I wanted to complete it as Mario with no powerups. Easily 200+ deaths in the process as I'm not that great with platformers.

It'll be interesting to see how Darker Side compares, I'll have to try and remember to track my deaths.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited January 2018
    616 moons gotten, main game obviously beaten and both dark side and darker side unlocked... but I am content to just 100% each kingdom before attempting the optional endgame content.

As of this morning everything from Cap Kingdom to Metro has been fully beaten, all purple coins all moons.

I think one of my favorite recurring things in this game is actually the races; its crazy going back to them after getting more confident with the technical jumping and seeing just how broken they are. Races that took over a minute can be done in 15-18 seconds with some well placed rolls into a triple jump into a hat dive into another dive to end up on a platform 2/3 of the way through the race in a few seconds.

This is just a top tier game; how did this and Zelda come out in the same freaking year?

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...