As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BEER] The Lacing on This Thread is Breathtaking. Mouthfeel

• Options
    useruser Registered User regular
    user wrote: »
    I'm excited. Found a vintage 2015 Brett IPA from New Holland for $5 a bomber.

Only bought one but I might go buy the rest.

I know it's Brett so that probably warps things a bit, but since it is IPA, and that tends to be very hoppy -- be very weary with really hoppy beer that's older than several months, hops don't oxidize into delicious the way malts do.

I love a good aged Brett. Love it.

I understand, I love Brett and what it does to farmhouse ales like seizons, and sours. And I have many dry-hopped saisons, and sour pale ales. The only Brett IPAs I've ever had were Mikeller's Wheat is the New Hops -- which had loads of flaked wheat for the Brett to go nuts on, and Allagash's Brett IPA, but only fresh.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I realized I said it was an IPA. I didn't mean to. It's an American Wild Ale.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I've had some of Ninkasi's can only brews this week and I'd say both are winners. Their Prismatic Juicy IPA is a rich citrus heavy beer that is just a great IPA to drink, I could easily go through a few of these. I would definitely recommend it for someone who doesn't like their IPAs bitter. Their other beer is Your Truly easy drinking ale. It tastes like a pale ale and drinks like one too. Not too many hops overtones but what is there is tasty, with a good solid maltiness. I would say it could use just a dash of biscuit malts, but that is a personal preference of mine. I like my Pale ales bready.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    4 out of 12 for the Hawthorne Hophouse Blind IPA Challenge this year.

Definitely better than the weak-ass 1 for 12 I put up last time around.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Bucketman wrote: »
    You guys were right about the xocovasia, it was real good. I also tried a nitro chocolate orange brew and a local called "heaven's court" which is like 16%. Oh and the three Floyd's and Mastadon collaboration, Crack the Sky. All were very good

are you talking about the album or did Mastodon put out a beer

Oh hey a month late, but they did a beer collab with 3 Floyds brewery out here.

• Options
    The Portland-based location for Modern Times officially opens on Sunday.

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    The Judge wrote: »
    The Portland-based location for Modern Times officially opens on Sunday.
    Lucky.

Enjoy some Black House. And if they have it, Mega Black House.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    I had the Vanilla Macadamia Nut variant a couple of weeks ago and it was tasty good.

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    The Judge wrote: »
    I had the Vanilla Macadamia Nut variant a couple of weeks ago and it was tasty good.

This sounds amazing.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    I did/am doing a dry January (just because, also I figure my Friday pub nights were the equivalent of eating a loaf of bread) and that ends next week. So I'm debating what to drink to break the "fast."

It's down to a barrel-aged variety pack with chalice from Great Divide that my buddy got me for Christmas, or a couple of Belgian beers that my sister got me for Christmas because I am visiting Belgium in June.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Go with the Belgian

• Options
    The people have spoken.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    vivoo6r774bf.jpg

My wife bought me this as a gift. It's very good, but very different from their other IPAs. Almost entirely citrus hop flavor, very low bitterness. Bit of a sweet, almost orange-y finish. Pretty tasty! Good for people who love pales or are interested in a different take on the IPA.

Also lots of tasty yeasts in this bad boy, it's totally unfiltered so buy it with the intention of drinking it pretty soon thereafter.

• Options
    edited February 2018
    Picked up the Blend like a Brewer mix from New Belgium. Interesting idea, a multi pack of beers with brewery worker recipes for mixing the beers. I haven't actually mixed, I just bought it because the variety looked interesting.
    159fadtyykah.jpeg

63ksn35e4sc7.jpg
    The mixing guide is kinda annoying cause it two groups of 3 beers that only mix with each other. But they don't just put those 3 on the same side. It s 2 mixes of one set of 3, and 1 of the other on each side of the recipe book. Needlessly confusing.

Still I should probably try some of the mixes at some point.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    Buddy just texted me that he found Founders CBS at a restaurant in town.

$13 for 8oz. D:

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    $13 for 8oz. D:

Yeah, that's some bullshit.

In local news, the new Modern Times joint is good but paaaaaaacked. Might need a few weeks for the hype to die down because they currently have people standing outside who are waiting to get in.

Falling ass-backward into seats at the bar was helpful.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Troegs Nugget Nectar is damn good

• Options
    Dry January has ended. Drinking a De Halve Maan quad and a Piraat and a St. Bernardus while listening to Frank Turner on the record player and planning our tenth wedding anniversary trip to Belgium and Italy

So

Pretty much a perfect day.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    Gonna visit so many Belgian monastery breweries in June.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    founders+backwoods+bastard.jpg

I'm currently savoring one of these puppies and it's blowing my mind. This is one of the best beers I've ever tasted, complex and warm with vanilla and fruit flavors in there. I'm no connoisseur, but if you enjoy dark beers do yourself a favor and seek this out.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    hi. I just opened a bottle of wine and it had to strong of spice notes for me and I'm disappointed.

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Not a fan of spicy notes in wine? If you don't like it I suggest making it into sangria.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I don't mind it much when I have something fatty to pair it with. but this meal kit had flat iron steaks so a little too lean.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Deadfall wrote: »

Oh are you, now?

When in June?

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Deadfall wrote: »

Oh are you, now?

When in June?

Let's see...

Looks like we'll be in Brussels from May 30 through June 2. Hitting up St. Sixtus and St. Bernardus on one of those days, even though I know they are the more "touristy" ones. But I just love them so much, and we're stopping by the Hop Museum on the way.

Then it's on to Italy for their beer and wine and ghost selections (we found a wine and ghost tour in Venice.)

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    At a local brewfest today and there have been some amazing brews. Each year i set goals and this year was ciders and sours. Ive had a couple amazing ones and some merely good. Not a bad one among them though.

Once i sober up a bit my wife and i are off to have some amazing grilled cheese sandwiches. Grilled chicken, buffalo sauce, bleu cheese, cheddar and pickled carrots and onions on sourdough.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    2017 Hop Report Bullet Points
    • Idaho moved ahead of Oregon for #2 on the total harvested acres list on the back of 70% increases in everyone's favorites - Zeus and Chinook. Wait, what?
    • Washington still produces seventy-five-goddamned-percent of all US grown hops.
    • 'Non-PNW' hop growers made a huge jump from 3% of production to . . . uh . . . 4. Of those, Michigan and New York are your leaders.
    • The ten most-grown hops list, as well as the top three of that group, remains unchanged since 2015 (Cascade / Centennial / Citra)

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Is Washington an especially good climate for hops or is it a side effect of the hophead craze really taking off on the west coast?

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Is Washington an especially good climate for hops or is it a side effect of the hophead craze really taking off on the west coast?

This is speculative, but I'd guess the laws out there may affect things. New York's been modifying ours a good deal lately (notably this act), with results that probably directly relate to hop production increasing here.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    Most of the irrigated Northwest is suited for it, but the Eastern Washington/Yakima Valley area is roughly around the same latitude as the fields they have in Germany. Tends to be why you see this stuff grown in the northern US vs. the southern.

Yields of hops per plant out of the PNW can run four times higher than the exact same thing grown elsewhere.

• Options
    Stone is suing Coors over their rebranding of Keystone light to emphasize the "Stone" part of the name
    http://beerpulse.com/2018/02/stone-brewing-co-says-it-files-lawsuit-against-millercoors-video-5628/

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Stone is suing Coors over their rebranding of Keystone light to emphasize the "Stone" part of the name
    http://beerpulse.com/2018/02/stone-brewing-co-says-it-files-lawsuit-against-millercoors-video-5628/

I've literally never heard anyone refer to Keystone Light as "Stone" beer.

But then again, I've literally never heard anyone say that they wanted to drink a Keystone Light.

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    well now i want to drink a keystone light

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    why though

• Options
    because it is cheap and it gets you drunk

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    there's still better alternatives

like... not-light keystone

• Options
    Simpler Times was my go to cheap beer back in the day.
    https://www.traderjoes.com/fearless-flyer/article/664

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    it tastes like beer and spite

it is a good choice

gonna go buy a 30 rack from the 7-11

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    It tastes like water that’s gone slightly off.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    If I want cheap crap beer my go to was always a PBR