As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mechanical Keyboards] Clickity Clack! We build them ourselves now!

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I don't know much about them, but there's a VicTake blue switch on Newegg that's for sale for about $50.

The reviews seem pretty good.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Corsair K70 LUX with cherry blues is on sale on Amazon for $85 today.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    I am tired of this gigantic backup keyboard after my quickfire tenkeless with BLUESdied.

I need browns on a tenkeyless. The quickfire is out of stock everywhere.... any suggestions?

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    You may want to try /r/mechmarket or /r/hardwareswap on Reddit. If you do some digging, you can get lucky.

I also found this. I'm not sure of your budget.
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823129071

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Mugsley wrote: »
    You may want to try /r/mechmarket or /r/hardwareswap on Reddit. If you do some digging, you can get lucky.

I also found this. I'm not sure of your budget.
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823129071

you nailed it.... cool masters naming has lead me to many different versions most of them out of stock. Thank you for lighting the way.

Is there anything i can do with the blue board with the wonky usb plug on the board?
    trying a 5$ cable first.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    Not sure how long this is good.

Corsair K70 LUX RGB with Cherry MX Reds (CH-9101010-NA) at Newegg:
    Regular Price $159.99 -- Sale price $119.99 with code BTERFRJ23 (25% off)

This appears to be the version with the volume wheel and media playback keys.

LINK

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Having an issue with my mechanical keyboard that I haven't been able to fix thus far. Every key from Caps Lock to J has stopped working suddenly. All other keys seem to work just fine, including the others at the end of that row.

Any ideas?

• Options
    What's the keyboard? Sounds like a broken wire between one or more of the switches.

• Options
    It's a Skorpion K1RGB. It came free with my pc when I ordered it. Only had it for 7 months or so.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »
    It's a Skorpion K1RGB. It came free with my pc when I ordered it. Only had it for 7 months or so.

@Ketar you got that from cyberberpowerpc, yah?

Looks like they have a warranty on it so might as well submit a claim
    Warranty Coverage - Company warrants to the original purchaser that the Product(s) shall be free of any defect in material or workmanship for a period of three years for labor and one year for parts from the date of the original invoice from Company. Except in the case of Notebooks, which carry a one year labor and one year parts from the date of the original invoice from Company. Company shall have the sole discretion in determining whether Product is covered under the warranty for labor and/or warranty for parts. Should the Product(s) supplied by Company prove defective by reason of improper workmanship or material as reasonably determined by Company, Company agrees, at its option, to either repair or replace the Product free of charge, excluding any shipping or handling charges. Company shall not be responsible for any software or data installed on the Product originally supplied by Company. This warranty does not cover software, external devices, accessories or other parts added to a Company system after the system is shipped from Company, or accessories or parts that are not installed in the Company factory. Monitors, keyboards, and mice that are included on Company's standard price list are covered under this warranty; all other monitors, keyboards, and mice are not covered. Any part that is repaired or replaced under this warranty will, itself, be warranted only for the remainder of the warranty period of the original product being repaired or replaced.

I'm not sure what the 'standard price list' entails but I'm guessing if its their in-house brand it's covered

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Aioua wrote: »
    Ketar wrote: »

@Ketar you got that from cyberberpowerpc, yah?

Looks like they have a warranty on it so might as well submit a claim
    Warranty Coverage - Company warrants to the original purchaser that the Product(s) shall be free of any defect in material or workmanship for a period of three years for labor and one year for parts from the date of the original invoice from Company. Except in the case of Notebooks, which carry a one year labor and one year parts from the date of the original invoice from Company. Company shall have the sole discretion in determining whether Product is covered under the warranty for labor and/or warranty for parts. Should the Product(s) supplied by Company prove defective by reason of improper workmanship or material as reasonably determined by Company, Company agrees, at its option, to either repair or replace the Product free of charge, excluding any shipping or handling charges. Company shall not be responsible for any software or data installed on the Product originally supplied by Company. This warranty does not cover software, external devices, accessories or other parts added to a Company system after the system is shipped from Company, or accessories or parts that are not installed in the Company factory. Monitors, keyboards, and mice that are included on Company's standard price list are covered under this warranty; all other monitors, keyboards, and mice are not covered. Any part that is repaired or replaced under this warranty will, itself, be warranted only for the remainder of the warranty period of the original product being repaired or replaced.

I'm not sure what the 'standard price list' entails but I'm guessing if its their in-house brand it's covered

At the very least I'll try their tech support and go to the warranty claim if need be after that. Thanks, I'm so used to problems happening outside of warranty periods that it never even occurred to me to go that route.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    So my first gaming KB in ages has been purchaed for amazon day

61f3J06yETL._SL1300_.jpg

k70 Lux.

i went with Cherry Red swtiches

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    So, apologies for the thread necromancy--I knew this was a thing, but I was surprised activity had fallen off.

Does anyone have a perspective on HAVIT's mechanical keyboards? I recently replaced my adequate but not-good-enough Logitech Wireless Combo MX (a MX performance mouse and a K800 keyboard) with a Logitech G703 and a K813 media keyboard.

They're both great, but the media keyboard isn't super ideal for gaming, as one might expect (also no incline). It's occurred to me that with the media keyboard, I really don't need a wireless one by my PC, so maybe a mechanical keyboard is a viable idea! Logitech's own designs were kind of on the bulky side, so HAVIT's low profiles seemed good.

hedrkkqteq2l.jpg

This is the full-sized KB395L, low-profile, and the one I'm most interested in. They also have a slightly cheaper KB950L, without the numpad, but they're both smaller than the K800 so I thought I'd keep the num pad just incase (I really don't need them to be mobile at all).

8laqm2vr8b12.jpg

Plus the KB395L lets you change the LED colors, in case you don't like blue. They both use Kailh PG1350 which seem...pretty well-received, but I really have very little experience with mechanical keyboards (aside from lashing out with the rest of the office when someone decides to be "that guy" and brings a really loud one to shared environment), but I like the idea of less depression (that fits more with what I'm used to). Plus it's going onto one of those annoying keyboard trays, so low-profile is a must.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Are there any wireless mechanical keyboard out there? I'm going to be using the steam link a lot in a few months so I'm trying to guage my options in terms of what I can use for chat stuff and general browsing.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »
    Are there any wireless mechanical keyboard out there? I'm going to be using the steam link a lot in a few months so I'm trying to guage my options in terms of what I can use for chat stuff and general browsing.

Quite a few actually.

• Options
    I was looking at the Logitech G613 before I settled on my HAVIT--besides being wireless (dongle or Bluetooth), it has some media control buttons I also really wanted. I ended up not going for it because it's large, and the keys aren't illuminated (mildly inconvenient in my room, which is kind of dark).

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    What kind of switches do you favor, @Big Classy?

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    What kind of switches do you favor, @Big Classy?

I think I have browns? They require quite a heavy press but I'd like something that's a little more sensitive.

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    hi folks, i've fallen into the mechanical keyboard rabbit hole and was hoping for someone to point me in the right direction. i had been looking at Corsair's keyboards but then found /r/mechanicalkeyboards, and it all went downhill from there...

i'm looking for a full white mechanical keyboard with Cherry MX Red switches or similar linear switches, with RGB LED backlighting, and ideally a USB passthrough connector. the Ducky Shine 6 Snow White seems to check off almost all the boxes, but the damn thing is out of stock everywhere i look.

Ducky's "Golden White" version seems ok, but i'm not sure if the "Golden White" means that it has a gold/yellow tinge to the white. this seems like it would come off as aged looking plastic to me...

are there alternatives i'm missing?

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »
    Iolo wrote: »
    What kind of switches do you favor, "Big Classy"?

I think I have browns? They require quite a heavy press but I'd like something that's a little more sensitive.

I have Reds and those are a much lighter touch. for games I'd definitely try them out

• Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    hi folks, i've fallen into the mechanical keyboard rabbit hole and was hoping for someone to point me in the right direction. i had been looking at Corsair's keyboards but then found /r/mechanicalkeyboards, and it all went downhill from there...

i'm looking for a full white mechanical keyboard with Cherry MX Red switches or similar linear switches, with RGB LED backlighting, and ideally a USB passthrough connector. the Ducky Shine 6 Snow White seems to check off almost all the boxes, but the damn thing is out of stock everywhere i look.

Ducky's "Golden White" version seems ok, but i'm not sure if the "Golden White" means that it has a gold/yellow tinge to the white. this seems like it would come off as aged looking plastic to me...

Have you used an rgb backlit keyboard before? It sounded cool to me in theory but in practice was annoying and embarrassing when normies are about. If you can live without that there are WASDs that meet all your needs. Are you still in Oakland? How are you liking it?

fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Picked up a Logitech G610 Orion Red for the new job, because if I'm going to be typing all day I'm going to enjoy the damn typing. I've been testing it out and I've come to a few conclusions:

For $80 at Best Buy, this is a really good value. It's heavy and weighty, heavier than my G710 Blue, with similar near-zero deck flex. It feels beefy and solid, which is what I really look for in a typing experience. I picked up the white LED backlight version (The G810 is the RGB version, with Romer-G switches) because I don't want some garish fucking thing at work.

For a work keyboard, it's absolutely non-obtrusive and doesn't have the "gamer" look the G710 has. I'd even consider picking one of these up for home use if it came with blue switches, which it unfortunately doesn't as far as I know.

cczfev9k98oo.png

The red keys are a nice compromise between typability (for which I still prefer the blues) and not annoying the shit out of your work neighbors/deafening the client on the phone. Seriously, if you've ever heard what an MX Blue sounds like over the phone, it's kind of grating and clacky. I had a guy at another company who used a keyboard with MX Blues and I swear it sounded like each keystroke was like the crack of a gunshot.

The braided cable is beefy and quality feeling, the keys are silky smooth in that MX Red way, it's not garish and it's solid feeling. Overall, if you need a 2nd keyboard or are looking for an MX Brown or MX Red to take to work with you then you really can't go wrong with this thing.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    kaliyama wrote: »

Have you used an rgb backlit keyboard before? It sounded cool to me in theory but in practice was annoying and embarrassing when normies are about. If you can live without that there are WASDs that meet all your needs. Are you still in Oakland? How are you liking it?

i have used an RGB kb before. part of the appeal is that it is very different from my computer at work. my rig at home is for play, and i want it to feel that way.

we moved a bit north above Albany. still nice!

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Picked up a Logitech G610 Orion Red for the new job, because if I'm going to be typing all day I'm going to enjoy the damn typing. I've been testing it out and I've come to a few conclusions:

For $80 at Best Buy, this is a really good value. It's heavy and weighty, heavier than my G710 Blue, with similar near-zero deck flex. It feels beefy and solid, which is what I really look for in a typing experience. I picked up the white LED backlight version (The G810 is the RGB version, with Romer-G switches) because I don't want some garish fucking thing at work.

For a work keyboard, it's absolutely non-obtrusive and doesn't have the "gamer" look the G710 has. I'd even consider picking one of these up for home use if it came with blue switches, which it unfortunately doesn't as far as I know.

snip

The red keys are a nice compromise between typability (for which I still prefer the blues) and not annoying the shit out of your work neighbors/deafening the client on the phone. Seriously, if you've ever heard what an MX Blue sounds like over the phone, it's kind of grating and clacky. I had a guy at another company who used a keyboard with MX Blues and I swear it sounded like each keystroke was like the crack of a gunshot.

The braided cable is beefy and quality feeling, the keys are silky smooth in that MX Red way, it's not garish and it's solid feeling. Overall, if you need a 2nd keyboard or are looking for an MX Brown or MX Red to take to work with you then you really can't go wrong with this thing.

That's a great keyboard. I have the G810 (with the Romer-G keys and RGB lights, but otherwise identical) and it's my favorite keyboard ever.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options

snip

That's a great keyboard. I have the G810 (with the Romer-G keys and RGB lights, but otherwise identical) and it's my favorite keyboard ever.

The HR lady was using it earlier doing an install of Office 365 on my PC and casually remarked to the CEO that they should buy one for everyone.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    The nice thing about Reds is that they're way quieter than Blues, so you can use them in an office, but if you need to be obnoxiously loud on them to piss off an annoying co-worker, you can go to town and make a racket.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    The nice thing about Reds is that they're way quieter than Blues, so you can use them in an office, but if you need to be obnoxiously loud on them to piss off an annoying co-worker, you can go to town and make a racket.

The quality difference and speed of precise typing is something I can't do without.

I've been spoiled.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    I use blacks in my office. Don't know if next door people can hear through the walls

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

The quality difference and speed of precise typing is something I can't do without.

I've been spoiled.

How do blues make you a faster typer than reds?

• Options
    edited February 2018

I've been spoiled.

I dunno.

I just do? Blues are a bit more forgiving, especially since I bottom the keys out.

To be clear, I was referring to all mechanical keys.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular

I've been spoiled.

Blues are 'clicky'. The point of the tactile click is to let the typist know that the key has been depressed far enough to register the press. Most mechanical switches register their keypress somewhere in the top third of travel, so if you lift off the key sooner you can be ready to type the next letter faster. You can learn to type just as fast on reds or blacks, but it takes time to learn how light of a touch you can use.

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    I ended up going with a Logitech G610 orion red, and I like it. Probably better options, but works for me. Not too loud, but a satisfying click-clack. And as said above, it's not something that gets looks at an office environment.

Bigity on
  • Options
    Bigity wrote: »
    I ended up going with a Logitech G610 orion red, and I like it. Probably better options, but works for me. Not too loud, but a satisfying click-clack. And as said above, it's not something that gets looks at an office environment.

I would say the WASD or CODE keyboards are probably overall better from my comparatively limited time with them, but if you don't need any of the more advanced features of those keyboards and just want something satisfying to type on, it's difficult to justify the doubled price tag for one vs the 610.

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Yea I'm not claiming they are the best, as I have very limited exposure to mechanical keyboards. I do know they are freaking awesome compared to that cheap computer manufacturer crap :D

• Options
    Yea I'm not claiming they are the best, as I have very limited exposure to mechanical keyboards. I do know they are freaking awesome compared to that cheap computer manufacturer crap :D

Yeah. I can't even type on membrane keyboards very well anymore because of this. I mean, I can still type, just when being done on a cheapo regular keyboard my writing is often littered with mistakes.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    It feels horrible and weird and I feel like a gorilla mashing my hands into the board and I question how people type on those things all day long.

• Options

Yeah. I can't even type on membrane keyboards very well anymore because of this. I mean, I can still type, just when being done on a cheapo regular keyboard my writing is often littered with mistakes.

Oddly, I find after using the craptastic HP membranes at work all day, I have frequent errors on my Corsair K70 at home until I retrain myself to type a bit more deliberately. It's either that, or I'm more error prone at work than I realize.

====
    @fightinfilipino if you haven't made the jump yet, I think the Pok3r comes in white; and you should be able to choose your switch type.

• Options
    You get used to it, like everything else in life. I'm posting from work right now, using a very average Dell media keyboard with a membrane base. It's not quite as pleasing, but if I shared my office with someone else, I'm certain it's a great deal less irritating than my HAVIT.

That being said, if they released a tenkeyless version of my HAVIT with RGB (not a fan of the light teal LEDs), I might buy one of those and bring my fullsized HAVIT to my office.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    I've been dreaming about replacing my keyboard for a while and clicked around every time I went into a best buy for the past year but finally pulled the trigger on a G413 carbon ($85ish), which is far as i can tell is just keys mounted on top of a sheet of aluminum. I was going back and forth between that and a G610 ($80) for a while but settled on the slightly cooler look and they didn't have an open 610 to look at/click on for "testing purposes."

I don't know anything about the specifics, I believe the box said it had Romer-G switches and the form factor is great and I'm really happy I didn't have to pay extra for a bunch of "gamer functions" I'd never use that were on all the other mechanical boards they had.

My only regret is I didn't know there was a G413 silver with white light instead of red, but the red has brightness settings and at the lowest intensity is actually pretty nice

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    The Romer-G switches, I'm nearly certain, are Logitech's version of Cherry switches. They are generally well received.