As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Old Souls [Dark Souls 1 + 2][No DS3 Talk At All]

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Hm.

I'm not sure if I want to do SL1 in DS2. Cuz 86 agility means 8 iframes, less even than the fat roll in DS1. If you farm and wear all the ADP gear, you're still shy of the 11 frame medium roll from DS1.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    Considering all the SotFS bitching about changing stuff around, can't say I overmuch blame them for just doing doing an optimization pass on the thing.
    Man, if they do a SotFS level update I am so in.

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Jesus, what do you guys do with all the souls on SL1? Those precious, shiny souls??

• Options
    Playing level-locked in DS2 was so freeing. Not caring about soul loss and soul piles made retries a lot less frustrating.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Mayday wrote: »
    Jesus, what do you guys do with all the souls on SL1? Those precious, shiny souls??
    Obviously you max out a pyromancy flame and go gank fools in Undead Burg.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Man it's been years since I played through DS1. I died to Sif like 5 times until I realized I had forgotten how to play this game. Two handed my weapon, took all my armor off, equipped the Dark Wood Grain Ring. One shotted him.

I forgot how good fast rolling was in DS1.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    So the DS3 thread is about to be locked at 100 pages. Can it come play in this thread with its older brothers and sisters?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Man. I am super stoked for DS1 Remastered. Why is May so far away?

• Options
    You know, DS1 could use a SotFS touching up more than any of the others. DS2 and DS3 have problems, but neither has the painful dividing line that pre-Anor Londo and Post-Anor Londo DS1 do.

• Options
    azith28 wrote: »
    So the DS3 thread is about to be locked at 100 pages. Can it come play in this thread with its older brothers and sisters?
    4 pages before this one hits 100 also?

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »
    You know, DS1 could use a SotFS touching up more than any of the others. DS2 and DS3 have problems, but neither has the painful dividing line that pre-Anor Londo and Post-Anor Londo DS1 do.

It would be the only reason for me to actually buy the remaster.

But man oh man will there be bitching and moaning if they attempt to deviate in any way.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    azith28 wrote: »
    4 pages before this one hits 100 also?

Well, this thread was intended to avoid spoilers for DS3 when it still hadn't come out yet. The game is almost two years old at this point. I think we are safe having a catch-all thread again, but that's just my opinion.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I'd personally be in favor of a general Dark Souls thread at this point.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    By this point, I've watched Dan's entire Sidequest Dark Souls III playthrough, so I'm good with a merged thread. :wink:

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    Me too about the merged thread!

In other news, I'm almost done with this Dark Souls playthrough. I went with a boring ass Claymore Quality build because I don't really care about PvP and I love the Claymore's moveset. I'm almost done with the DLC, about to go fight Manus. Once I do that, all I have left is Gwyn.

I...am ashamed to admit that despite my many, many playthroughs of Dark Souls, this is the first time I've ever done the DLC. I did my hundreds of hours on the PS3 before the DLC came out as a Catbro and I sort of burned out on it by the time the PC version came out.

Artorias might be my favorite souls series fight ever now!

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Artorias is very good. They've been chasing that boss fight high ever since they put it together but never really reached it again until Dark Souls 3's Ringed City.

I know it's a good boss fight if when I get their health low I consider purposefully dying just so I can come back and keep playing it more.

Aistan on
  • Options
    Man, I hated Artorias. Then again, he felt very much like an anti-turtle, anti-magic boss, so I had good reason to hate him.

• Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Artorias was definitely the start of From's 'non-elemental melee weapon and fast-roll is the one true playstyle' philosophy that you can see in the later games.

TamerBill on
    3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    TamerBill wrote: »
    Artorias was definitely the start of From's 'non-elemental melee weapon and fast-roll is the one true playstyle' philosophy that you can see in the later games.

I did find magic in 2 as less of a cure-all than in 1, though it did still have an effect. I just couldn't rely on it as much.

Also, there were some bosses like fume asshole and samurai asshole where dodge and counter melee were the only winning strategies, and I found that supremely boring.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited January 2018

i noticed this on more recent playthroughs and it's soured me a little on him

he's damn near impossible to safely dodge and punish if you're midrolling or using a heavy weapon

half the time he just zips out of range before you can get a swing off

the irony that pokey ass dark souls 1 is the only one with a boss that really feels like it punishes a slow weapon

Elendil on
  • Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Not sure if we've agreed to talk about DS3 in here or not so I'll spoiler this.
    In DS3 this mostly only starts at NG+. The first Lord of Cinder (Abyss Watchers) is substantially easier with Sorcery or similar long distance attacks, while the original superboss (Nameless King) is mostly trivialized with a Greatshield.

Even the most melee centric boss, Sulyvahn, is more of a parry boss than a fast roll boss.

Off the top of my head, the Twin Princes are the main roll-and-punish boss in the base game.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »

I did find magic in 2 as less of a cure-all than in 1, though it did still have an effect. I just couldn't rely on it as much.

Also, there were some bosses like fume asshole and samurai asshole where dodge and counter melee were the only winning strategies, and I found that supremely boring.

Actually, Samurai dude is more trivialized by a greatshield than dodge-and-counter. Dodging is hard, just holding up a slab of steel through which he can only threaten you meaningfully with a single attack and poking him on recovery is easy.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    Drascin wrote: »

Actually, Samurai dude is more trivialized by a greatshield than dodge-and-counter. Dodging is hard, just holding up a slab of steel through which he can only threaten you meaningfully with a single attack and poking him on recovery is easy.

I'll be honest, most great shields are beyond the ability of magic users to wield, so they basically never get a second glance from me. Though to be fair I do usually spec my guys to at least wield something like a claymore with a shield, so it might not be to big of a stretch to find that single shield that I could use that also wouldn't put me into fatroll territory.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Drascin wrote: »

I'll be honest, most great shields are beyond the ability of magic users to wield, so they basically never get a second glance from me. Though to be fair I do usually spec my guys to at least wield something like a claymore with a shield, so it might not be to big of a stretch to find that single shield that I could use that also wouldn't put me into fatroll territory.

In DS2, what you want is the Twin Dragon Greatshield. Takes 20 Str, is only a little heavier than most good medium shields, and you can get it the second you hit Majula and literally not change your shield in the entire rest of the game. I did just that several times. It has chip damage (oh no, I have only 97% physical block instead of 100%, whatever shall I doooo), but I tend to feel it's kind of the best shield in the game in terms of reliability/weight ratio.

It's not quite the wall of absolute immunity that, say, the Black Iron shield with which I completely trivialized Sir Alonne is, but it's real good for a very affordable price. I imagine that's why it was nerfed to hell in DS3.

Drascin on
  • Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Chip damage isn't really a problem in PvE. Anything 85% damage reduction or better is plenty, as healing is typically abundant in most of the series. I find that Stability and special properties are worthy trade-offs for sub-100% DR.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    So I've just beat Manus. SL 91 now. 30 Vit, 40 End and 40 Dex
    That leaves the following potential targets on my kill-list:
    Kalameet (oh, I'VE TRIED).
    Gwyndolin (might skip them, as I don't really feel like it, but if yes then also Gwynevere - I guess? For completion's sake?)
    The Darkmoon Knightess and The Fair Lady (to have better Estus on NG+)
    Gwyn (obvs)

Mayday on
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Given I made sure the fight was on the ground, but I beat Kalameet on my first try on my great scythe dex build. :rotate:

Murdering everyone on that playthrough (after I no longer needed them) was quite an eye opening experience and got me all sorts of goodies I missed out on before. I recommend everyone do it once.

Karoz on
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »
    Given I made sure the fight was on the ground, but I beat Kalameet on my first try on my great scythe dex build. :rotate:

Murdering everyone on that playthrough (after I no longer needed them) was quite an eye opening experience and got me all sorts of goodies I missed out on before. I recommend everyone do it once.

The most dark souls part of going into a new game cycle is murdering everyone. They cannot keep it, but you can so why. It really gives you a big boost in the second play through but is also generally worth it in subsequent play throughs in most cases.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    I think I'm almost ready to go to NG+ on my 100% achievements run. Just need to farm about 200,000 souls to buy all of Logan's sorceries. Might also go ahead and try to farm the channeler's trident, ugh..

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Karoz wrote: »

Wow, you weren't kidding. Switched to the scythe, upgraded it to +15 and only used like 2 flasks during the fight. Weird!

Mayday on
  • Options
    KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    Scythe dex build is broken af in DS1.

So my missus picked up DS2:sotfs on ps4. Holy shit. Like I know they changed things around and mob placement is all over and stuff. But wow. I can only give her general advice on a lot of things because those damn turtle knights are everywhere! I'm telling her, yeah just roll around this corner you'll be fine. Nope. Heide knights all over the place. A drake - wut. Will see what things look like as we continue. I know iron keep is going to be an eye opener from what I've read. :D

Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • Options
    So, I have to admit something.

As many times as I've played each Souls game, I still can't make myself be a dick. No killing people for early items, no fighting Priscilla or Gwyndolin, no keeping the Fire Keeper's soul or killing Fair Lady, etc.

I should probably at least do Gwyndolin on a Darkwraith character some time, though, since it would make some sense RP-wise to go back after hearing Kaathe's point of view.

I'm such a fucking nerd.

• Options
    Klatu wrote: »
    Scythe dex build is broken af in DS1.

Haha welp I just thought greate scythe was cool. Killed things quick too. dark wood grain ring helped make my dodges more forgiving as well.

• Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Yeah, one of the last runs of DkS1 I did was a Great Scythe early, pretty much no shield dodge build with Power Within. It was one of the most fun runs I've ever done, but definitely super busted.

• Options
    So what I'm hearing is that I need to play Dark Souls with the Great Scythe. :wink:

• Options
    KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Kamar wrote: »
    So, I have to admit something.

As many times as I've played each Souls game, I still can't make myself be a dick. No killing people for early items, no fighting Priscilla or Gwyndolin, no keeping the Fire Keeper's soul or killing Fair Lady, etc.

I should probably at least do Gwyndolin on a Darkwraith character some time, though, since it would make some sense RP-wise to go back after hearing Kaathe's point of view.

I'm such a fucking nerd.

I have a super hard time being like that as well. In KOTOR doing a dark side run I had to remind myself to chose the correct conversation options and be an ass, and not just default to being nice. Same in Dragon Age. Have a hard time being mean to my NPCs, even if they are annoying lol.

Klatu on
    Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • Options
    While I haven't gone full murderbot, I totally killed the halfbreed dragon gal in the original. Usually if I'm "playing evil", I'm 100% baby eating, virgin blood drinking, robbing widows and drowning puppies levels of evil.

Like, cannibal perk, take out THAT town, feed on them "just because".

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i probably kill 40% of the NPCs in any given souls game

bloodborne is probably at 90%

• Options
    I basically kill nobody that didn't attack me first. Not just in Souls, but in most games.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I am now imaging some person out there doing let's plays of different games as though the protagonist was from the souls universe. Obviously it would not work for a lot of games but I am sure Bethesda games would work.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion