As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Marvel [MCU] Infinity War trailer DOES put a smile on my face

• Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    Right, so... probably just the two squares, in what is otherwise an inedible sculpture, and then another sheet cake (or two, or however many it takes) to actually feed the crew.

According to a poster one another forum who works in that industry it's actually probably mostly edible. The fancier stuff (the arms, Thanos, etc) is probably rice crispy treat covered in fondant. There's probably some dowel rods in the center in a few places for support but I'd imagine most of it is actually edible.

But yeah, there's totally a table off to the side with a couple giant sheet cakes for the actual eating.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Yeah like, you're making a movie that's probably gonna bring in over a billion dollars. You don't need to cheap out on the cake budget. You can have some leftovers.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I have a friend with a cake shop (used to be my signature image), and yeah, from what I've seen her do, if a team of professionals wanted that to be mostly edible, I would totally believe that it was mostly edible (with supports in place as well, of course).

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    I don't get why these cake shops all use fondant, it tastes like crap.
    Meanwhile you can mold chocolate in to any shape you want and it tastes great.

Brb, I think I have a Ferrero Rocher somewhere.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Right, so... probably just the two squares, in what is otherwise an inedible sculpture, and then another sheet cake (or two, or however many it takes) to actually feed the crew.

According to a poster one another forum who works in that industry it's actually probably mostly edible. The fancier stuff (the arms, Thanos, etc) is probably rice crispy treat covered in fondant. There's probably some dowel rods in the center in a few places for support but I'd imagine most of it is actually edible.

But yeah, there's totally a table off to the side with a couple giant sheet cakes for the actual eating.

You say its mostly edible, but also fondant, and these two things do not track.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Chocolate is going to melt a lot easier than fondant, and it's also less malleable.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Now this is a weird tangent.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    We just discussing the obscure West Coast Cake Artists comic.

• Options
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Now this is a weird tangent.

We're trying to determine the possible ramifications to the MCU vis-a-vis the edible cake to fondant ratio.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Watching The Incredible Hulk again, I’m really impressed at how it builds on Iron Man while doing a lot of things to set the stage for Captain America. I'm really glad they kept William Hurt’s Ross around for Civil War.

The finale IS just two CGI monsters slugging it out, so I understand why it doesn’t work for people, but a lot of the world building the movie does is top notch.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    My wedding cake had fondant.

#Notallfondant is what I’m saying.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Today I learned icing has a more obnoxious name in fondant. It’s like an apt comparison of classy mutant and stupid inhuman a zing

Marzipan fur lyfe

TexiKen on
  • Options
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Today I learned icing has a more obnoxious name in fondant.

Marzipan fur lyfe

Fondant is tougher and drier than normal cake icing. More like an edible skin over cake to keep it's structural shape.

• Options
    Is it colossus skin tough it Thing tough?

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Watching The Incredible Hulk again, I’m really impressed at how it builds on Iron Man while doing a lot of things to set the stage for Captain America. I'm really glad they kept William Hurt’s Ross around for Civil War.

The finale IS just two CGI monsters slugging it out, so I understand why it doesn’t work for people, but a lot of the world building the movie does is top notch.

I haven't watched it in many years. What about it did you like from a world-building perspective?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Is it colossus skin tough it Thing tough?

The Blob skin tough.

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular

TIm Roth vs Hulk is when I first got excited for future movies, that one flip kick he does just screamed Captain America back then.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Heir wrote: »

I haven't watched it in many years. What about it did you like from a world-building perspective?

The way Stark tech and SHIELD are incorporated without calling attention to it the way they did in Iron Man. SHIELD having basically unlimited electronic surveillance power. The fact that the super soldier serum. the experiments that led to the Hulk, are implied to have been in operation or been being worked on for a long time. Long enough that they were in cold storage. Oddly enough, the fact that they go to a foreign country and don't speak English while they're there (which a lot of movies don't bother to do) all makes the world feel a lot bigger, older, and more lived in.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Today I learned icing has a more obnoxious name in fondant. It’s like an apt comparison of classy mutant and stupid inhuman a zing

Marzipan fur lyfe

Fondant is a specific type of icing.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I always forget about the Hulk movie but it's not bad. I do prefer Hulk's current design more than that one though.

• Options
    Additionally, two CGI monster during it out is much better than CGI Monster vs A Lake.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

TIm Roth vs Hulk is when I first got excited for future movies, that one flip kick he does just screamed Captain America back then.

I always took that as a "see, this could totally work!" visual test case for somebody like Cap versus Hulk, especially given that it's very clearly implied that the serum Blonsky gets is either the original super-soldier serum or directly related to it.

Because if you throw in the bizarro properties of Cap's shield, he really could go against the Hulk and throw punches for a while. Obviously Rogers couldn't get victory by knockout, but he could at least get a tactical victory if they need something more than just killing the other guy.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    My go-to scene for "This is practice for Captain America" was the Blonsky-running-like-the-wind-and-he's-not-even-tired shot.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    My wife runs a cake shop and she loves Thor: Ragnarok.

Coincidence?

No.

...Coincidence?

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
  • Options
    Mad cool

• Options
    AoU is on TNT...just got through the twins’ story of why they hate Stark...how pissed do you think Tony would be to learn that a bomb with his name on it didn’t work?

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    AoU is on TNT...just got through the twins’ story of why they hate Stark...how pissed do you think Tony would be to learn that a bomb with his name on it didn’t work?

I'm thinking he appreciates it quite a bit, since he found that out firsthand.

• Options

Guess I just found an excuse to rewatch Iron Man...

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

Guess I just found an excuse to rewatch Iron Man...

To be fair, the Stark shell that Tony got all up close and personal with did work.

• Options
    In the sense that it exploded, yeah.

In the sense that it actually killed something, not so much.

At the very least, it did such a bad job point-blank that they were able to hustle Stark off to their secret cave base in time for surgery, and he was up and about not long afterwards.

I bet Wanda's parents are fine, they just couldn't take dealing with the kids anymore and skedaddled once they thought half the house fell on them.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Hey everyone there's on-set photos of Captain Marvel now. Linking to them rather than embedding because dimensions.
    https://i.imgur.com/4tIyvfo.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/TnHwndS.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/lvHv8gF.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/zQTjNDP.jpg

Edit - Reminder that some costumes get the post-effects treatment so don't take this as the end of the line on the design.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Interesting!
    That's the usual color scheme for Kree dudes. Wonder if she tools around in that for a chunk of the movie before deciding to throw some hotrod red in there. ;P

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Looks like she’s reading the real estate section...

• Options
    No tumblr hair yay!

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    She looks pretty damn amazing in the suit not gonna lie

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    No tumblr hair yay!

Well, y'know, it's apparently a 90s period piece.

Tumblr, and thus hair dye and nontraditional hairstyles, didn't exist.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »
    No tumblr hair yay!

Not sure if

• Options
    Shadowen wrote: »
    No tumblr hair yay!

No Tank Girl hair yay!

• Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I'm trying to figure out what the fuck "tumblr hair" means, and if the inference is as fucky as usual.

FroThulhu on
This discussion has been closed.