As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WH40K] The FAQ has arrived

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    For quicker play,

Learn to mass move folks. I can get cultist around really fast. Movement trays if you are orks or nids also.

Learning to mass roll. I have 3 different sets of dice+a bunch off odd ball ones. I can roll a full set of mixed attacks at once. And you can reroll all the wounds for saves with the same dice your friend is cool with that. Saves counting.

For the latter two questions:
    1)You get hit by an ap -4 weapon on termis you use the 5+ save. Even in cover you are a 5+ save so it is the same.

I have to re-read the all is dust rules but modifiers are at the end of everything so you would add it all. But re-reading it is that you have a +1 to all saves when you get shot. So you would have a 4+ if it is a one damage weapon.

Rule is never shoot rubrics with 1 damage weapons.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    If you want games to go faster you need to memorize stats on weapons. I’ve found that stopping to look things up is the biggest time waster. The second is picking up and counting out dice. If you know how many shots you’ll have with all your units, then set aside piles of dice for them. Use another pile to roll saves. Get lots of dice, they’re cheap and fun to collect.
    And while it’s a social game, nothing drags it down like stopping to chat. Friendly banter sure, but don’t stop your opponent as they’re about to roll damage to talk about the latest sportsball game. Because they will stop rolling, talk, and then their rhythm is gone and they’re recounting the dice.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote: »

Awesome report, good that you won with apparently less points.

Any tips to make games go faster? My one buddy is wavering on going all in because he doesn't want to play a game that takes 8 hours.

Separate question, order of operations. My dude has 2+save and 5+ invuln, but gets hit by a -4 AP weapon. He has a +1 to his saves (from a psyker power or cover or whatever). When does that get added, or is it not because we've already hit the invuln?

And All is Dust, if for some reason a guy gets hit by a -4 AP 1 damage weapon, All is Dust adds +1 to ALL saves....does that mean a 5+ invuln goes to a 4+?

Play smaller games until you know how the basic rules work, then ramp things up. Eighth is relatively simple so a normal 2000ish point game shouldn't take more than 2-3 hours even for someone's first game of 8th.

If it's +1 to "saves" and not specifically armour saves than much like All Is Dust it's added to both saves. It's always your choice what save to take, so take the one that'll be best after modifiers. In this case that'd be the invul, as the armour will work out to an effective 5+, while the invul will be an effective 4+. If it's only a +1 to armour saves then it won't matter, as they'll both be effectively 5+.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Learning the basic game rules well, what all your stuff does, and (to a lesser degree) what all your opponents stuff does speeds things up a lot.
    Playing smaller points games until you learn, and also making some cheat sheets (photocopy the relevant pages from your codex so you dont need to go through the whole book every time) would be my suggestions.

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
    Agreeing with all above.

I am the slowest when using brand new units. Last night I was using stuff I haven't either used for months or I had not used yet like my maulerfiend.

I am decent at counting out dice blocks but having them presorted isn't a bad idea.

Re-rolling your opponents dice for saves if they are cool with that. Some folks are, some aren't. People are very very superstitious about their dice.

u7stthr17eud.png
    I’ve had people act like I just honked their butt cheek when I rolled their dice because they were closer than mine. And then put those tainted dice away and get out new ones.

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    To be fair, rolling your dice is literally half of how you physically play the game. I can see why someone might get irked if their opponent takes that away from them.

• OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    I think Badablack means he used the opponent's dice to make his own rolls, not that he made his opponent's roll for him. Likewise with Mazzyx's example -- your opponent rolls (for example) 12 dice to hit, then 8 to wound, and then you scoop up 4 to roll your saves.

Orogogus wrote: »
    I think Badablack means he used the opponent's dice to make his own rolls, not that he made his opponent's roll for him. Likewise with Mazzyx's example -- your opponent rolls (for example) 12 dice to hit, then 8 to wound, and then you scoop up 4 to roll your saves.

Ah, misread that slightly. Yeah, that's being kind of silly.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Badablack wrote: »
    I’ve had people act like I just honked their butt cheek when I rolled their dice because they were closer than mine. And then put those tainted dice away and get out new ones.
    When you've brought 15 pounds of dice with you, you kind of look for any reason to swap them out.

• italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Look, if you haven’t anointed your hands in sacred oils and mouthed the litany of purification then don’t touch my dice! This is literally how things get cursed.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I remember when crown royal bags were the tres chic dice bag outside of the occasionally built ones

I remember someone had a small tacklebox full of dice though

Nvm I really have no idea what I was trying to say cough syrup is not your friend

• Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    I'll laugh at myself because I know it is dumb, but yeah, please don't touch my dice.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
    Hmmm...

So my narrative pairing this month is with primaris smurfs.

Hmmmm.....

It is one of my favorites dudes in the club. His deathguard are just amazing looking. And his smurfs are a dirty dozen/a-team reference of basically convict marines. Too good at their job to be shot, to mad to keep in the normal ranks.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Nurgle list in demon codex is pretty groovy.

I can get a + 3cp Demon detachment for my Deathguard for 605.

That's 30 Plaguebearers, an Unclean One and a Herald.

No-Quarter wrote: »

Nurgle is really the one coming out on top in that codex I think.

u7stthr17eud.png
    I want to pick up some Khorne daemons now just for the synergy with chaos marine daemon walkers like Decimators and Lord of Skullses. Herald on a juggernaut with the locus and that blood crown, doing tandem horse tricks with a Chaos Lord on his own juggernaut. Lots of evil hell robots. Throw a heap of bloodletters and bloodcrushers and bloodhounds in there and you’ve got a stew. A blood stew.

I want to pick up some Khorne daemons now just for the synergy with chaos marine daemon walkers like Decimators and Lord of Skullses. Herald on a juggernaut with the locus and that blood crown, doing tandem horse tricks with a Chaos Lord on his own juggernaut. Lots of evil hell robots. Throw a heap of bloodletters and bloodcrushers and bloodhounds in there and you’ve got a stew. A blood stew.

My thought is herald on a seeker following two maulerfiends and my defiler all just sprinting forward and charging.

Also that makes the fiends lasher tendrils str 7 and their claws str 14. The defiler is 18 and 11 or something like that.

Its a nasty forward group supported by normal EC back end fire.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    New FAQs are out for Space Marines/Blood Angels/Dark Angels.

Redemptors no longer come stock with the Icarus rockets (someone probably realized that they should change the model entry since the Easy to Build Redemptor doesn't have them), Primaris can take Power Swords now, Company Champions have Combat Shields now, and (this is the part that really chaps my ass) successor chapters are no longer allowed to use the Warlord Trait of their founding chapter.

SmokeStacks on
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    New FAQs are out for Space Marines/Blood Angels/Dark Angels.

Redemptors no longer come stock with the Icarus rockets (someone probably realized that they should change the model entry since the Easy to Build Redemptor doesn't have them), Primaris can take Power Swords now, Company Champions have Combat Shields now, and (this is the part that really chaps my ass) successor chapters are no longer allowed to use the Warlord Trait of their founding chapter.

“These are ultramarines, I just painted them purple.”

It’s dumb but just loophole it, if someone gives you shit they ain’t worth playing.

edited January 2018
    It sucks in general because GW made such a big stink about "Forging a narrative", and now they are basically punishing people for doing so. The ability to create your own custom chapter was the reason I went with Space Marines back when I was deciding which army to start. I was looking at the Start Collecting boxes and almost went with the Blood Angels box, but I didn't want to be "locked in" to a specific backstory so I went with the vanilla box instead.

I run my dudes as an Iron Hands successor, so not only do we have no special characters, no special units, and no special weapons we have no special Warlord Trait as well. Plus our Chapter Tactic got nerfed to hell and back between 7th and 8th. No one in my meta is anal enough to care if I pick the Iron Hands trait even though I'm a custom chapter though, which is nice.

SmokeStacks on
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Well, yeah, it's sort of the second half release for Deathguard.

• BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    and (this is the part that really chaps my ass) successor chapters are no longer allowed to use the Warlord Trait of their founding chapter.
    I wonder why they'd do that? Like, what's the logic there?

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Are there any successor chapters who get their own unique rules?
    If not, yeah, whats the point of that?

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
    Dayspring wrote: »
    Are there any successor chapters who get their own unique rules?
    If not, yeah, whats the point of that?

Crimson Fists and Black Templars both get their own Warlord Traits, so unless GW really doesn't want them using Architect of War it seems like it's a rule aimed solely at custom chapters.

Maybe they just really, really want to get people onboard with official ones so they can sell more upgrade sprues or something.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Well I feel they still want to push official tourneys just having your army as X would help

On second thought.

Nurgle got the most new and shiny stuff, but everyone got a terrific lineup.

Speaking for Thousand Sons, everything from the Lord of Change to the flamer-pistol armed Flamers clicks right into my T Sons list.

I keep waiting for the Slaanesh reveal though. The other 3 have had their big new waves, though the Khorne one was mostly AoS stuff. An updated Slaanesh lineup would be pretty great, preferably with more than just daemonette + <thing>. They’re supposed to be the symbols of excess, and GW loves them some over-detailed plastic. Just pour the fancy trimmed gold armor and capes and loincloths and peacock feathers on some big muscly monster mashes. Take Gulliman’s ridiculous armor and double down.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    It sounds like a preemptive ruling to stop people from using successor characters and stuff that might come from other places like forgeworld in combination with the parent chapter rules. It's still seems dumb.

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Yus, Spandau Ballet reference.

Oh, that might make a good ship or rogue trader name.

I keep waiting for the Slaanesh reveal though. The other 3 have had their big new waves, though the Khorne one was mostly AoS stuff. An updated Slaanesh lineup would be pretty great, preferably with more than just daemonette + <thing>. They’re supposed to be the symbols of excess, and GW loves them some over-detailed plastic. Just pour the fancy trimmed gold armor and capes and loincloths and peacock feathers on some big muscly monster mashes. Take Gulliman’s ridiculous armor and double down.

New fiends. The current ones are horrendous.

Actually don't like the current daemonette sculpt either. I do like the old metal ones I have though.

u7stthr17eud.png
    honovere wrote: »
    It sounds like a preemptive ruling to stop people from using successor characters and stuff that might come from other places like forgeworld in combination with the parent chapter rules. It's still seems dumb.

I'm wondering at some point if we're going to be seeing rules for creating your own chapter/regiment/craftworld/whatever. That seems like pretty good material for Chapter Approved and it's pretty similar to the "design your own vehicle" rules that have already been thrown in.

Thank you all for your patience....just have a few more questions, this time melee related.

I have a Plagueburst Crawler chilling in the back and he gets charged by infantry. I have a Lord of Contagion nearby. They charge the PBC, and make it, but do not charge the LoC. I do a heroic intervention.

Can the enemy who charged then melee the LoC in the fight phase, despite them not charging the LoC, since he's now in melee?

Consolidation. If I charge into the enemy with two units and the first unit wipes them out, can the second consolidate?

Damnit..I had another melee question, but can't remember. Ah well.

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

Actually don't like the current daemonette sculpt either. I do like the old metal ones I have though.

I believe I'm the only person in the world who likes both the fiends and the new daemonettes.

Sic transit gloria mundi.

I believe I'm the only person in the world who likes both the fiends and the new daemonettes.

I love EC and slaanesh marines. Big, loud, and lots of options to alter them. I like the clean lines I can do unlike Nurgle. And I like how they play.

But I really don't like painting slaanesh models. I am not sure why. They are just so spindly.

u7stthr17eud.png
    Thank you all for your patience....just have a few more questions, this time melee related.

I have a Plagueburst Crawler chilling in the back and he gets charged by infantry. I have a Lord of Contagion nearby. They charge the PBC, and make it, but do not charge the LoC. I do a heroic intervention.

Can the enemy who charged then melee the LoC in the fight phase, despite them not charging the LoC, since he's now in melee?

Consolidation. If I charge into the enemy with two units and the first unit wipes them out, can the second consolidate?

Both are no.

A unit that charges can only attacks units it declared an attack against. They can of course declare a charge on both (assuming both are in 12”) but then they both overwatch.

In the second example if the unit is destroyed the other unit you control is no longer in combat. It can’t be selected to fight, and therefore can not consolidate.

It's so pleasing when I'm right. Huzzah! And that did remind me of the other melee question!

So if I do declare a double charge, but only make it to one of the two...is that a success?

It's so pleasing when I'm right. Huzzah! And that did remind me of the other melee question!

So if I do declare a double charge, but only make it to one of the two...is that a success?

Yes. In the example above the PBC is 7” away, the 9”. You declare charges on both, and only roll a 7”. You reach the PBC and the charge counts fine. Now if you pile in, consolidate, or be heroic intervenes into you, you can attack him fine because you declared him a charge target. In this scenario declaring him is the correct choice, he has no gun to overwatch and the potential to end up in combat exists.

If this was say, two squads of guardsmen, it might not be such a clever idea because you’ll take both sets of overwatch,

• TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Norgoth wrote: »

Both are no.

A unit that charges can only attacks units it declared an attack against. They can of course declare a charge on both (assuming both are in 12”) but then they both overwatch.

In the second example if the unit is destroyed the other unit you control is no longer in combat. It can’t be selected to fight, and therefore can not consolidate.

You're wrong on the second part. Any unit within 1" OR that has charged can be activated.

For example, unit Z is within 1" of unit A, and units B and C charge unit Z. You activated unit B and wipe out unit Z. Unit A cannot activate, but unit C still can, getting a 3" pile in (Ending closer to the nearest enemy), swinging on any unit within 1" that they declared as a charge target, then another 3" consolidate (Ending closer to nearest enemy).

TraceofToxin on
    Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
    You're wrong on the second part. Any unit within 1" OR that has charged can be activated.

For example, unit Z is within 1" of unit A, and units B and C charge unit Z. You activated unit B and wipe out unit Z. Unit A cannot activate, but unit B still can, getting a 3" pile in (Ending closer to the nearest enemy), swinging on any unit within 1" that they declared as a charge target, then another 3" consolidate (Ending closer to nearest enemy).
    So by your example, C can activate despite Z being destroyed?

This discussion has been closed.