As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Star Wars [Galaxy of Heroes]. Why Yes, Kylo, You Can Be on Vader's Team.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I fought a Gar Saxon team last night in arena. They wrecked my shit.

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    I got my Death Trooper up to 7* today, and gear 11. Working on Shoretrooper and Veers (both 6* right now) but my plan is to zeta Veers and run a Trooper team (Veers, Death, Shore, Snow and Starck) for Dark Side TB and TW.
    Kinda hanging onto gear for now though, incase i need to improve any Rebel pilots to get through the Chimera event in a few days.

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    They could do something like that with Anakin. I could see them requiring a handful of Ep 1-3 and Clone Wars characters to take him from Anakin to Vader. And then give us some sort of new Vader with 3 Zetas.
    That would be pretty god damn awesome. I'd up-vote that in a heart beat. The DS is really lacking toons right now.

I don't really understand the lack of DS characters. It's not like there's a shortage.

Just off the top of my head, they need to release the following:

-- Bossk
    -- Zuckuss
    -- 4-Lom
    -- General Hux
    -- Supreme Leader Snoke
    -- The Inquisitor (Rebels cartoon)
    -- DJ (Benicio Del Toro)
    -- The black BB unit from the First Order

• Options
    Droideka, Jango Fett, first order guy who beats up finn in TFA...

• Options
    Dayspring wrote: »
    first order guy who beats up finn in TFA...

Twirly stun baton guy?

Man. Back when I was a kid, like 11-12 years old, I could tell you every weapon model, every alien name and species, everything. Anymore, I have no clue what anything is called.

• Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I'm 34 shards away from completing Gar Saxon, and I've already got him up to g10 and put a Zeta on his lead. Tested him out as lead this morning with the Omega (which isn't hard at all, so not a good test) and I'm liking what I'm seeing. I've been working on a Empire squad to surround him with, mostly using primary fires as the determining factor. Given that his fully powered abilities grants 50% counter chance + 5% heal + 100% chance for Saxon to assist on a counter... surrounding him with some debuff primary fires would be awesome. Plus, his primary inflicts Speed Down, and if it already has Speed Down, reduce cooldowns by 1. Given his auto-assist when ally counters, it means I could use his Calculated Ambush every single turn.

While I know he's a tank, I'm thinking having the Stormtrooper with him, and minimize crit chance, as that will grant Expose when he fires and does not crit or totally misses. Combine that withe 50% counter chance, the entire team could get exposed and then nailed by Saxon immediately after. I'm hoping it will be a good TW defensive team.

After Saxon is at 7-star, I'll work on Imp Supercommando. When paired with Saxon, it's a sick looking combo.

I was interested in Gar, too. I can't decided who to team him with yet, but he's next on my list after the vets. Thrawn probably. Nothing jumps out as a prefect fit, though.
    Considering that many of the Imps take a long time to get up to snuff, I'm only looking at what I currently have available to use without taking away from my primary Empire team (Palp lead, Vader, TFP, Tarkin, IG). Below is what I'm considering currently:
    1. Stormtrooper (7-star, G9)
    • Low crit chance
    • Primary attack - if no crit or is evaded, target is exposed - If exposed, Saxon deals exposed dmg
    • Unique - +40% Def per Empire toon, +30% Def for ImpTroopers
    2. Snowtrooper (7-star, G9)
    • Primary attack - 50% chance to inflict ability block
    • Unique - Enemy defeated = TM gain for Empire, +20% Crit Dmg for ImpTroopers
    3. Magmatrooper (7-star, G7)
    • Primary attack - guarantee to deal dmg to random enemy (-20% dmg)
    • Unique - +30% tenacity to ImpTroopers

I'd like to use Imperial Supercommando (ISC), but he's only 4-star (near 5) right now (G8):
    • Primary attack - 70% chance to inflict Offense down + attack again if less than 50% TM (not sure if attacking immediately depletes TM so this will trigger, or if TM depletes after counters are performed)
    • Unique - 65% counter chance (meaning 100% with Saxon lead) and +15% offense per debuffed enemy

Possibly use Thrawn until ISC is higher starred (7-star, G8):
    • Primary - with ability block, stun target

I'd prefer not to use Thrawn for this, as ISC is a perfect match for Saxon. Hell, now that I think about it, RG could be good here as well, as he'll have a chance to stun every time he attacks.

Le_Goat on
    While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Hell, there’s plenty of Stormtrooper variants that are already in the game.

• Options
    Now that I feel I have 4 decently solid LS groups to work with in TB, I've begun shifting all resources towards DS TB. I need to get my Bounty Hunter group solidified after I get this second Empire group working, as I use IG-88 for my droid squad. I've also come to terms that the best I should expect to do per DS TB mission is 3/4. Anything less is worth getting upset over. Anything more is something worth celebrating. 3/4 is par.

• Options
    Drunken BastardDrunken Bastard Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Forar wrote: »
    While Luke was obviously doable (with some hoop jumping, and having already addressed the Old Ben grind), I feel like Rey sets the new precedent. We can probably get part way there, maybe even half, but any future journey will probably require characters that don't even exist yet. Which is some bullshit, but whatever.

I nearly have the Vets both at 6* (Chewie is about 20 short), so it'll only be another quarter or so to get those last 220'ish shards to finish them both off.

While I generally enjoy the game overall, there are predictable elements with their release cycle that makes it hard to give them anything resembling benefit of the doubt.

I really have JRey (and the Vets) blanked out as nonexistant for the time being.
    Just hope we do not need her to unlock something else, but otherwise I have other fish to fry.

Drunken Bastard on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Needing R2 to unlock CLS indicates they're not against a little recursive character acquisition, but agreed, that'd be some bullshit.

That said, assuming a similar 4'ish month re-release schedule as CLS, I'm thinking that we probably won't see JediRey again until early Q2 of this year.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    I still won't unlock her. The Vets are too much of an investment right now.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Does anyone else find the Baz/Chirruit combo really stupid?

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options

Only for the past year and change it has been out.

Moreso given how obnoxious it is to farm Baze, and doubly so that they put him in a store (yay!) but it was the Territory Battle/War store (booo, I've nearly finished Hermit Yoda, just in time to pour all my points into the Wampa), and then they took him out of that store anyways (what the shit?).

I get that they have the whole 'early release -> put into Chromium packs -> farmable' pattern, but there really needs to be a fourth step of 'just put them in a damned shop, and make it the GW/Arena/Cantina shop once in a while, you shits'.

I've played daily for over two years, there are characters that were out at release that I still haven't 7 starred.

Yes, yes, I'm aware that this is part of their business model, because someone always points that out. That doesn't preclude me feeling a little frustration over it. It's obviously not a dealbreaker, but it doesn't stop me from throwing them some shade now and then for it, at least the more egregious aspects.

• Options
    I mean, their business model is openly hostile to everybody, paying customers just as much or worse than F2P players. You dump money into this game and all of a sudden you open yourself to being shit upon by RNG and their extremely low odds game. 5-330 shards my ass. 5-330 means 5-10.

And anyway, they are completely hostile to their entire player base, and yet we all keep playing anyway. The message they are receiving is that what they are doing is acceptable.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    I mean, their business model is openly hostile to everybody, paying customers just as much or worse than F2P players. You dump money into this game and all of a sudden you open yourself to being shit upon by RNG and their extremely low odds game. 5-330 shards my ass. 5-330 means 5-10.

And anyway, they are completely hostile to their entire player base, and yet we all keep playing anyway. The message they are receiving is that what they are doing is acceptable.
    They receive that message from everyone that buys their way through the game to get the latest and greatest first. Most of us can't afford to do that, and even those that can, won't do it. It's the whales that keep this business model going, and only they have the ability to stop it. I don't blame EA & Co. from getting worse. They're making a shit ton of money off it, so why stop? They're pushing it as far as they can until they hit that crossover point where income drops, then they'll tailor it back just far enough to maximize profit. Us F2P (mostly) folks are just getting shafted in the process, but we're basically playing a game for (mostly) free. Which then leads to...
    That doesn't preclude me feeling a little frustration over it. It's obviously not a dealbreaker, but it doesn't stop me from throwing them some shade now and then for it, at least the more egregious aspects.
    ...aaaaaaaaaand bingo

It's funny how we seem to go in a looping pattern. Every few months, we all start bitching about it, then agree that it sucks, then agree that we get the model, then agree we still get to give shade, then go back to playing. A few months later, we're back at it. I'm 100% guilty of this, by the way.

Le_Goat on
  • Options
    I mean, I'm not F2P, but I'm far from a whale.

Whether or not they get my occasional $10 won't make or break the system. Whether I play or not is, far as I'm concerned, an entirely personal choice.

So it has aspects I like, and aspects I find frustrating. Give or take some reasonable margin of error, the former outweighs the latter.

But I can still bitch to you find ladies and gents about the latter. :-P

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I'm currently Rank 51 right now and I have to say that fighting Boba Fett in the arena is the worst experience of my life. AOE ability lock, and can self rez? Fuck you.

• Options
    Totally agree. That's why I put F2P (mostly). I've thrown $10 or $20 during sales events where you get 1.5 to 2.0 times the crystals. Considering what their business model is and what supports it, we're practically still in the F2P group. 2+ years of playing this game and not throwing hundreds of dollars into it... yeah, close to F2P as you can get.

• Options
    It's kinda funny. My Phoenix team is my strongest overall team, and in Arena, if I use Phoenix I am able to push my rating pretty high. I can climb much higher with them than I can with my Sith team, which is my 2nd strongest.

But at the same time, my Phoenix team is terrible defensively, and if I use them to push the ranks up, I always lose more ranks than I gain. So I just content myself to keep using my 2nd strongest team so that my position each day is more stable. That means I generally hover around 200-250, even though I can climb much higher than that.

• Options
    Drunken BastardDrunken Bastard Registered User regular
    It's kinda funny. My Phoenix team is my strongest overall team, and in Arena, if I use Phoenix I am able to push my rating pretty high. I can climb much higher with them than I can with my Sith team, which is my 2nd strongest.

But at the same time, my Phoenix team is terrible defensively, and if I use them to push the ranks up, I always lose more ranks than I gain. So I just content myself to keep using my 2nd strongest team so that my position each day is more stable. That means I generally hover around 200-250, even though I can climb much higher than that.

Just use use the defensive team for the last fight. I tend to to forget that all the time though..

• Options
    I need to take a break from this game. I have been dangerously close to breaking my phone.

Ever since I hit level 50 it's been nothing but bullshit. In the arena none of my guys hit ANYONE. It's like people have a 50% chance to dodge with Chewbacca as their leader. Surprising nobody their attacks always fucking land. Then this fucking Boba Fett bullshit.

I did a 700 crystal pull today and got 12 medals for a character that I don't know. I feel like they are telling me to spend money because all of my problems will go away if I just spend the money.

• Options
    Dude if the game is stressing you out at this point, uninstall it.
    Combat is very very RNG dependent, Ship arena even more so.
    There are also many frustrating enemy team compositions awaiting you as you level up (Zeta Barris and General Kenobi is my least favourite, people really hate Chaze, Nightsisters constant rez is awful, etc etc).
    Then you add in all the deliberate dick moves EA or whoever add in to make money...
    Then theres the awful drop rates on characters you're grinding...
    Hmmm why am i still playing this again?

• Options
    Could have sworn I was close to finishing off Thrawn last time. But my team just got shut out. Hmm...

• Options
    Dayspring wrote: »
    Dude if the game is stressing you out at this point, uninstall it.

I really wish I could do that. But you see I'm stubborn, a glutton for punishment, have a need to be the best at everything, stubborn, and stubborn.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular

I didn't mean to imply it is a new thing, I've just gotten to the point where it's a pair in every arena group I see. And it's pretty stupid unless you can one-shot Maze or Chirruit, otherwise Maze just heals up all damage and taunts forever.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    ok, well the good news is it is possible to compete without spending big bux
    what characters are you working on right now, and what team are you using for arena etc?

• Options
    edited January 2018
    urahonky wrote: »
    I need to take a break from this game. I have been dangerously close to breaking my phone.

Ever since I hit level 50 it's been nothing but bullshit. In the arena none of my guys hit ANYONE. It's like people have a 50% chance to dodge with Chewbacca as their leader. Surprising nobody their attacks always fucking land. Then this fucking Boba Fett bullshit.

I did a 700 crystal pull today and got 12 medals for a character that I don't know. I feel like they are telling me to spend money because all of my problems will go away if I just spend the money.
    There are a few moments in this game during the progression to level 85 where this happens. Even when you hit 85, you'll still run into moments like that. Here are a few suggestions I have:
    1. Pick your arena fights wisely based upon your selected arena team.
    2. Even if you can't do squat in the arena that day (happens to me), just get your 2 battles in and take whatever rewards are available to you. Something is better than nothing.
    3. Do some planning on your squad, then hyper focus just on improving that squad. Only work on them. It's a pain in the ass and time consuming, but totally worth it.
    4. Continuing with #3, only spend currencies on that hyper-focused strategy. Anything else will be deviating from your plan. Keep in mind that it will take weeks before you start realizing the benefit of a well-thought-out plan, and even more time before your plan finally pay out.
    5. Get into a guild, if you are not already. The benefits are huge, even for a guild that isn't large or extremely active. This also gets you into PVE and away from a PVP-centric aspect of the game. While PVP is important for gaining currencies, PVE is great for character progression (e.g. gear, toon shards), but you also get guild currency, which is another way to progress. If you don't know what guild to join, search the SWGOH forums. Most guilds just want an active player and don't care too much about your GP. The more active players a guild has, the greater the rewards all around.
    6. Most important: Realize this game is heavily favored for those that are willing to pay real money to progress. Once you finally come to terms with that reality, it's insanely easier to just sigh and keep on trudging down the path.

With #3, it's really, really important to try to plan out your strategy. Deviating from your plan will slow you down and frustrate you more. I spent 3-4 months on a single plan once (Clone squad), but it finally paid off and they are my main PVE squad. My PVP is still my HK-droid + JE/Nebit, as they keep me in top 300 and sometimes 200, which is good enough for me. Right now, I'm working on a second Empire squad, which is slow, but I'm making progress. Early on in this plan, I deviated and started working on the second empire, a sith squad, and a FO squad. In sum, I was getting no where but mounting frustration. I re-evaluated, cut out the other two, then hyper-focused. Now I'm making progress again.

Every one of us in here has been where you are, so we get it. Ask questions and someone is bound to have an answer or can point you in the right direction.

What's your in-game name? If I have you as an ally, I can take a look at your character inventory. If we aren't allies, I can add you and you can use my inventory for Light/Dark missions. It's great what an 85 can do in level 50 missions.

Le_Goat on
  • Options

I didn't mean to imply it is a new thing, I've just gotten to the point where it's a pair in every arena group I see. And it's pretty stupid unless you can one-shot Maze or Chirruit, otherwise Maze just heals up all damage and taunts forever.

Oh, I wasn't throwing shade about that, I was agreeing that they're bullshit, and they've been bullshit basically since release. They were a big part of 'whether or not I finish this Galactic War is basically what combination of Baze/Chirrut/CLS's bullshit that I have to put up with in node 11 and 12'.

It's beatable, but a giant pain in the ass that usually isn't worth dealing with unless, as you say, you can manhandle them.

Further compounded by Baze being obnoxious to farm up. I've been at it for months (clearing the light side nodes took a while) and I still need 175 shards to 7* him. That's... 3-6 months, or in the vicinity of a year and a half from release to complete the character.

I really wish there was a step in the 'release cadence' of "initial release for the whales -> Chromium -> 'somehow available' that included 'okay after X months it goes to a store, and some of them will actually be in the Arena/GW/Cantina shops, not just the fucking Fleet/Guild/Territory ones'.

I don't mind trailing behind the people willing to pay hundreds of dollars to cap out a new character, but I think a grind measured in quarters (plural) is a bit much.

• Options
    I don't mind trailing behind the people willing to pay hundreds of dollars to cap out a new character, but I think a grind measured in quarters (plural) is a bit much.
    Tell me about it. Do you have any idea how long it has taken to get Gar Saxon up to 7-star? The drop-rate is fair, but at 16 cantina energy a pop, it's taking forever. I'm glad I got a head start on him during the old Shard Shop. And when he's done, Imp Supercommando is going to take just as long, as he's only 1 node behind Saxon in the Cantina.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Tell me about it. Do you have any idea how long it has taken to get Gar Saxon up to 7-star? The drop-rate is fair, but at 16 cantina energy a pop, it's taking forever. I'm glad I got a head start on him during the old Shard Shop. And when he's done, Imp Supercommando is going to take just as long, as he's only 1 node behind Saxon in the Cantina.

Oh, absolutely. I am taking on the stupid Veterans, and still need around 220 shards combined to finish them off. Would it have killed them to put one of the two on an 8 or 12? (rhetorical, I'm aware that they wanted to get Full Panic Farm Buying going on)

Forar on
  • Options
    I actually dropped some cash on the vet pack (after hoarding crystals etc in preperation) so i’m using JTRey as my arena team right now.
    She’s really fun to play (alongside BB8 and R2, yay droids!) and has been getting me top 20 arena pretty easily, top 10 with some luck and top 5 a couple of times too.
    Basically i’m saying she’s worth the awful farm

• Options
    Or at least, she is right now, when few people have her.

I'm sure when the event rolls back around, a lot more people will get her, reducing the advantage considerably.

Not to say you're wrong, glad to hear you're having fun, but as someone who is more in the "top 200, rarely in the top 100" range, I doubt getting her will take me to top 10 at any point. :-P

• Options
    My Ally code is: 282-849-159, thanks guys.

• Options
    I also probably should change my tactics whenever I do the squad assaults. Usually I go straight for healers and then DPS then tank. But that's because of my MMO training. In this game it seems better to go straight for DPS then healer then tank.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    I also probably should change my tactics whenever I do the squad assaults. Usually I go straight for healers and then DPS then tank. But that's because of my MMO training. In this game it seems better to go straight for DPS then healer then tank.
    If you're dealing with a glass cannon, take them out first. A healer cannot heal what is already dead... unless they have rez (e.g. Ewok Elder, Jawa Engineer, Old Dakka).

If they have a tank that does not auto-taunt, ability block takes their tanking ability out of the picture. Sometimes, support needs to be taken out before healer, especially if that support has cleanse. OOOoooooo do I hate it when they have cleanse. I'm looking at you, Rebel Pilot asshats in DS TB. Fuck you guys.

Also, invite sent. In-game name is "le goat"

Le_Goat on
  • Options
    If you're dealing with a glass cannon, take them out first. A healer cannot heal what is already dead.

If they have a tank that does not auto-taunt, ability block takes their tanking ability out of the picture.

I would amend this by saying you should knock out anyone with a rez ability.

• Options
    If you're dealing with a glass cannon, take them out first. A healer cannot heal what is already dead.

If they have a tank that does not auto-taunt, ability block takes their tanking ability out of the picture.

I would amend this by saying you should knock out anyone with a rez ability.
    lol, I realized the same and made an edit to my post, but unfortunately not before you quoted me. CURSES!

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Speaking of rez, ns zombies being immune to execute is bs.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    The ability does say "This revive can't be prevented."

I still haven't found a good squad to dismantle the Mother-Z team. Been trying and failing a lot against them.

Le_Goat on
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    The ability does say "This revive can't be prevented."

I still haven't found a good squad to dismantle the Mother-Z team. Been trying and failing a lot against them.

Documented bs is still bs.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life