As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Is Darksiders 2 any good?

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    WHAT'S COMING OUT IN 2018:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-QgJ-EFq7A
    Darksiders 3

they finally made link a girl

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

It's... uneven.

Good:
    Some great Joe Mad art!
    Some fun environmental puzzles and level traversal gimmicks!\
    Combat still pretty neat

Bad:
    Story kinda goes nowhere
    Some real buggy bits (I think some of these have been fixed by now)

???:
    Inventory / loot / upgrade system feels like it came from some different game and doesn't make much sense here

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Where is Quarter 5 located? Inside the Midnight Month?

Madican wrote: »

it's the most dangerous, hidden quarter

you have to find it within yourself

Wait I know how this goes. Can I skip trying to deny my Shadow and just kind of shrug like it's a fair cop and have my introspective moment without unnecessary violence?

Wait I know how this goes. Can I skip trying to deny my Shadow and just kind of shrug like it's a fair cop and have my introspective moment without unnecessary violence?

you gotta have at least one anime fight, with multiple stages, and a hidden weakness

you gotta have at least one anime fight, with multiple stages, and a hidden weakness

Can I at least have it set to "Into Free" as the BGM?

• KarozKaroz Registered User regular

It's... uneven.

Good:
    Some great Joe Mad art!
    Some fun environmental puzzles and level traversal gimmicks!\
    Combat still pretty neat

Bad:
    Story kinda goes nowhere
    Some real buggy bits (I think some of these have been fixed by now)

???:
    Inventory / loot / upgrade system feels like it came from some different game and doesn't make much sense here

I'd also add that as the worlds progress you can tell that the game was getting more and more rushed as they are shorter/not as good. Which is too bad since they go to some neat places.

Also the animation seems a bit stiffer than 1. Seeing Vulgrim just moving his mouth while talking after his sleezy performances in 1 was a bit shocking.

In Darksiders 1 I cheered at the final conclusion of the plot.

In Darksiders 2 I rolled my eyes at the final conclusion of the plot.

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Darksiders 2 just kinda ended but I liked it because it fit the tone of the story pretty perfectly

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I started playing Supreme Commander for some reason. It’s neat, though I’m never quite sure I get the strategy part of RTSes. Mostly it’s just me massing tons of units and throwing them at the enemy.

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    was playing xcom 2 because people were down on it but I was thinking yeah this is a good game

then the avatar countdown started and I remembered why it's not a good game

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Wait, what's so bad about the Avatar Project?

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Darksiders III having Famine as a Skinny Battle Chick in Heels(tm) seems kind of... off.

edit: It is Joe Mad though, so there's that.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    Darksiders III having Famine as a Skinny Battle Chick in Heels(tm) seems kind of... off.

Really? I'd say that's unbelievably on-brand for the franchise. It's one of the few where I don't just roll my eyes at a woman being in heels because everything in those games is a parody of itself.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited January 2018

Famine and Pestilence got replaced with Fury and Strife.

Undead Scottsman on
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »

Really? I'd say that's unbelievably on-brand for the franchise. It's one of the few where I don't just roll my eyes at a woman being in heels because everything in those games is a parody of itself.
    Yeah, I thought about it for a bit, and I realized that it totally is on-brand for the creator.

Famine and Pestilence got replaced with Fury and Strife.
    boo hiss

sig.gif
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i mean pestilence already replaces Conquest a lot of the time so

liEt3nH.png
    Death, War, Fury, and Strife is excellent and right from the get-go in Darksiders 1 they make damn sure you know they're not retelling the Book of Revelation, they're rewriting it entirely with more heavy metal.

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Conquest getting replaced by Famine makes narrative sense for most works that don't care about biblical accuracy. Conquest is too similar to War. War, Strife, and Fury just compounds the problem.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Pestilence most frequently replaces Conquest because writers are lazy and don't actually do their research

Couscous wrote: »
    Conquest getting replaced by Famine makes narrative sense for most works that don't care about biblical accuracy. Conquest is too similar to War. War, Strife, and Fury just compounds the problem.

Only if you keep thinking it's even trying to go for Biblical accuracy. It's not. The Four Horsemen are the ones who go bash skulls when the Charred Council sends them out. They're bruisers one and all so they have names to match. They're not trying to be distinct, they're specifically themed as the Council's gank squad. And the pact they made means that when the endtimes come they're the people who will wipe out everything and everyone.

• el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Hey Steam thread, I just wanted to let you know that the last few pages of the last thread made me install Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy. Mission accomplished....?

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Pestilence most frequently replaces Conquest because writers are lazy and don't actually do their research

it's predicated on a rhetorical interpretation

and potentially a misunderstanding
    When the Lamb broke the fourth seal, I heard the voice of the fourth living creature saying, “Come.” I looked, and behold, an ashen horse; and he who sat on it had the name Death; and Hades was following with him. Authority was given to them over a fourth of the earth, to kill with sword and with famine and with pestilence and by the wild beasts of the earth.

EDIT: "them" could refer to the horsemen collectively or it could refer to the pale rider

PiptheFair on
  • VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Does Darksiders 1 still hold up today?

I never did finish that.

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Does Darksiders 1 still hold up today?

I never did finish that.

it is absolutely playable

it's not amazing, but if you've got like 10ish hours to burn

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Huh, I hadn't heard of Kingdom Come: Deliverance.

It seems interesting? I wonder how it plays.

• MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »

i have been following it some time. They've had a focus on on keeping it hema accurate since day one, lots of focus on proper armour layering and stuff as well.

and a 50+ hour campaign where you play as some white dude on a generic revenge quest.

Melding wrote: »

i have been following it some time. They've had a focus on on keeping it hema accurate since day one, lots of focus on proper armour layering and stuff as well.

and a 50+ hour campaign where you play as some white dude on a generic revenge quest.

Yeah, I can ignore the rather bland plot if it lets me do a 50 hour tour of historical armor, castles, and sword plays. There wasn't a ton of swordfighting in the trailer but I noticed some decently realistic looking cuts being thrown, which is nice to see. I'd have to watch it a couple more times.

Melding wrote: »

Yeah, I can ignore the rather bland plot if it lets me do a 50 hour tour of historical armor, castles, and sword plays. There wasn't a ton of swordfighting in the trailer but I noticed some decently realistic looking cuts being thrown, which is nice to see. I'd have to watch it a couple more times.

There's several hours of game play out there if you look for it. for a mostly accurate european medieval weapon fighting game, there's few that can compete with it.

Though from what i saw it's mostly personal combat, there might be jousting, i forget.

I found and watched their combat trailer. It looks very good for a videogame!

However, it does seem to, at least in what I saw, fall into the common videogame pattern of attacks countered by empty blocks into counter attacks into empty blocks. ie, parry-riposte-parry-riposte. This isn't really how people fought with longswords. I don't really know how you would control binds in a videogame in a way that would be fun to do and easy to control. It's not an easy thing to solve, for sure. Also, there is a lot of slashing attacks against people wearing good armor, which isn't great. Notable lack of half-swording between two heavily armored opponents using longswords as well.

This is definitely me picking nits however. It looks fun, it looks interesting, and it looks like it is making efforts to be historical, which is more than can be said about most games.

alright, but what if instead you had a machine gun and fought dragons?

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    The problem isn't Fury having heels, the problem is War and Death not having them. They are horse(wo)men. They're the only people who should have heels.

I'm also looking forward to State of Decay 2. And Monster Hunter World (FUCK YOU CAPCOM STUPID 8 MONTH DELAY).

• MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    I've been stoked about ooblets since it was moblets

I WILL care for a dozen clickyclaws

l3icwZV.png
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I don’t know why people are acting like the MHW PC version was delayed

They literally never said it’d come out alongside the console versions and always said it would come ‘some time after’

Like granted fall 2018 is still a long wait but it’s not like they ever gave a definitive release window

Edit: This isn’t specific to you, Aistan, but I’ve definitely seen the complaint from some people that implies that they had a solid release date or something.

Moriveth on
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Pfft want real history? Play Civilization

Like remember in 1310 when Ghandi conquered the French for the Pyramids to help him later nuke the Aztecs in the 1500's?

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    I started playing Supreme Commander for some reason. It’s neat, though I’m never quite sure I get the strategy part of RTSes. Mostly it’s just me massing tons of units and throwing them at the enemy.

That is SupCom in a nutshell

That and robot ships that have legs so they can also walk on land. And nukes. Just nukes everywhere

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Ugh trying to get the ground breaking rune in Dead Cells is a drag cause I cannot deal with that enemy type

2x39jD4.jpg
  • ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    Moriveth wrote: »

That is SupCom in a nutshell

That and robot ships that have legs so they can also walk on land. And nukes. Just nukes everywhere

You guys wanna play SupCom with me?

Children's rights are human rights.
This discussion has been closed.