As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tabata out at SQuenix. [Final Fantasy] XV development to end prematurely (finally?).

• Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    I'm still trying to get use to how much these 4 bitch each other out. They honestly sound like friends.

PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Ragnarok was the DLC weapon right? Stupid weapon is break city.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    So, the holiday sale was too temping and I picked up XV. I'm still kinda flinchy by non-portable Square titles thanks to XIII, but eh. I hear it's good.

First thought:
    • Man this games load times are silly. I have it downloaded to my HD, it should be faster than this.
    • Hmm. Bit more action gamey than I thought and there doesn't seem to be much in the way of RP.....wait, now I'm past the tutorial and get full menu access.
    • Oh nice there is skill trees. Wait, why do I want to use the Wait Mode vs ATB?
    • Exploring tree? Fishing skills?
    • Whoa, the landscape is way more interactive than I thought, item gathering, camping points?
    • He's taking pictures while I'm just screwing around and I get AP for it?! There is a skill tree line dedicated to his hobby?!?!?!
    • Di...DID HE JUST TAKE A SELFIE IN COMBAT?!?!
    • Man these guys are nursemaids, well I mean they ARE my guardians. HO! They bitch me out for being dumb. This is new.
    • The level of snark these boys have.
    • Presentation Ignis, you have it.
    • DLC items and armor are OP bon...no? Just kinda good and I need more to build combos to break resistances? Okay.
    • I craft spells? Only the big 3 right away. WHOA THEY ARE AOE is hell and ACK I lit myself on fire!

Okay, it's flawed, but dang it's fun.

Wait mode is the light. It lets you do something you can't do otherwise, although I forget what that is... Oh wait, I think it lets you use scan or libra or whatever, and attacking with the right weapon is important.

Yeah, there's no reason to use ATB over wait mode. Wait mode is king!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    I've moved past Pharos first visit and am firmly in endgame territory in TZA.

Did you know there were new superweapons? Like, absolutely nuts ones. A sword, shield, and a bow. With ways to get them that are truly, truly, truly outrageous.

(If you don't cheat. I, however, am a cheater. There are RNG manipulation methods you can use to force chests containing them to spawn, and they're not one-time only)

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    El MuchoEl Mucho Registered User regular
    I picked up FF15 on sale over the holidays. I grabbed the digital premium which comes with all the DLC. Is the DLC something I should be doing as it fits into the timeline or waiting until the main story is complete before playing it?

Also, how necessary are these side quests because I'm just out of the starting area and I'm already sick of them. Can I just focus on the main plot quests and forget the fetch quests and hunts?

BNet: ElMucho#1392
    Origin: theRealElMucho
  • Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    The Zodiac Age invisible superweapons are basically easter eggs. But since the game also shipped with a new low-level challenge feature baked in, RNG manipulation to get those weapons pretty much seems like the go-to strategy for winning that mode. I find that less than exciting -- it's not a fun challenge if you have a weapon that's essentially a long-range tactical nuke at your disposal.

While you can always avoid getting or using those weapons, it seems far too tempting to take them as the quick way around some difficult challenge. I wonder if the challenge communities (I presume one exists for FF12? or at least did?) recommend the weapons or avoid using them and work on other strategies for defeating various bosses.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    El Mucho wrote: »
    I picked up FF15 on sale over the holidays. I grabbed the digital premium which comes with all the DLC. Is the DLC something I should be doing as it fits into the timeline or waiting until the main story is complete before playing it?

Also, how necessary are these side quests because I'm just out of the starting area and I'm already sick of them. Can I just focus on the main plot quests and forget the fetch quests and hunts?

It'll be blindingly obvious in game when each of the DLC's take place. As far as if you should do them at the appropriate time:

-Gladio you can do. Hell you can do it now if you really want, it's entirely self contained. But because of that, it's also meaningless to the main story.
    -Prompto spoils a bit of a plot twist, but it's also a really dumb and pointless plot twist in the main story itself. It's possible you'll get more enjoyment out of it by doing the DLC as soon as possible. It's also 100% safe to do after you get Prompto back in game.
    -Ignis just straight out spoils the entire ending of the game. So don't even touch it until you beat the game first.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    The real question about Ignis's DLC; how many new recipes does it add?

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    I mean he can recipe mid battle

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    I mean he can recipe mid battle

Cooking IS the battle.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    The Sauce wrote: »
    The Zodiac Age invisible superweapons are basically easter eggs. But since the game also shipped with a new low-level challenge feature baked in, RNG manipulation to get those weapons pretty much seems like the go-to strategy for winning that mode. I find that less than exciting -- it's not a fun challenge if you have a weapon that's essentially a long-range tactical nuke at your disposal.

While you can always avoid getting or using those weapons, it seems far too tempting to take them as the quick way around some difficult challenge. I wonder if the challenge communities (I presume one exists for FF12? or at least did?) recommend the weapons or avoid using them and work on other strategies for defeating various bosses.

Well, I'm on my first playthrough of FFXII ever with TZA on PS4. Thanks to Trial Mode and RNG shenanigans, I have Karkata, Wyrmhero Blade, and a Seitengrat. While the regular critters that litter the gameworld drop dead pretty quick, I still get stomped on by big bads, espers, anything in Trial Mode much past level 50, and anything that vomits status effects all over you like Foobars and Mind Flayers.

So, no I don't think it takes the challenge out of the game entirely. At least not for a noob. If anything it's rid me of the tedium of taking several turns to kill regular enemies that were never going to kill me to begin with, just slow me down. A low level run would be balls hard without some of these stupid powerful weapons, I think -- but obtaining these weapons is entirely optional, so I don't think that should reduce your enjoyment of the game in any way.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Yesss

But now I need money

• Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    OK, got the Dissidia NT Open Beta all downloaded and ready to go. We'll see how that pans out. It certainly LOOKS good. It's been a long time since I've played a Dissidia (my brother took the PSP with him to Washington), so it'll be interesting to see how the 012 characters play.

Probably gonna focus on Team My Favorite Final Fantasy, Cecil, Kain and Golbez. Though I'm interested in how Noctis plays.

• Options
    Is it MP only? My PS+ just ran out but I’d love to try it out.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I like the concept of the way Bartz plays; mastering his jobs by using the respective attacks repeatedly.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Ugh. Why is this dropping the same day as Monster Hunter?

Well, this one I can probably wait and see if the AI is as stupid OP as Duodecim (okay, that was mainly there being no penalty to endlessly blocking/dodging and the AI eventually deciding to be near perfect at it). At least they finally got rid of flying. That made a joke of a lot of the stages and mechanics in the PSP games (being able to reset double jump with air dodges, combined with chasing into air with dashes... most maps devolved quickly into just fighting midair all the time because nobody ever had to land ever).

Edit: I have to missing something here, because I can't find anything that says what moves actually do at all. Nothing on character-specific things either (like Terra's attacks changing if she stops attacking for a bit).

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Is it MP only? My PS+ just ran out but I’d love to try it out.

I don't have PS+, and I can play online. There's also offline modes.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    The Beta doesn't require PS+ but the full game will.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    Thanks guys I just downloaded it. First impressions later

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Like I want to maybe play dissidia, but they dont have some of the cool characters from duodecim yet, and i dont think i've heard a single positive thing about it. not to mention it's competing for my time with monster hunter, and as a fighter with dbz. Then i think i read there isn't a story or anything really single player to progress through. I've always loved FF games, but does anyone see anything interesting about it?

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »
    The Beta doesn't require PS+ but the full game will.

Wait what? Forget that then.

• Options
    I mean anything with MP (except FF14) needs PS+ so I’m not surprised.

Played a couple of matches and it’s finally clicking. It kinda plays like Duodecim but (I don’t know if it’s a beta thing) with less customization on your Bravery Attacks.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Has there been any word on Dissidia having lootboxes? I downloaded the beta, played around a bit (fun, but despite playing the old games I have no idea what I'm doing at first). Then while exploring all the various menu options, I found the "Treasure" section. It had two options, Open Treasure, and Shop (which was disabled). It said I had one box/crystal thing. I opened it, and sure enough, the tell tale flashy lights and happy music played, and I got a Palom icon, an Omega (V) icon, and a big bright Etro skin for Lightning. Ooh! Aaah!

...This is a fucking lootbox. I'm willing to hold my cynicism until the game comes out, maybe this is all in game junk. But I have a very sneaking suspicion that it ain't, and that "store" option will be where you buy 120 boxes for the low low price of $99.99. Barf.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    You can’t customize moves in this can you? Everyone has a set list and that’s that right?

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    You can customize in the full game.

Lootboxes are in the game, but you unlock them with in-game currency and it's all cosmetic items, like Overwatch. So you're literally just getting different items than other people when you open a lootbox, kind of like opening a bunch of M:tG card packs. But again, in-game currency.

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    After a couple of Dissidia rounds, it's a mess, but kind of a fun mess? It's difficult to keep from getting attacked when you're literally vulnerable from all sides. Guarding seems to be a waste of time from what I've seen. And goodness help you if you're being targeted by two enemies.

Still, when it's good it's really good. I especially like the fact that one of Ramza's bravery attacks is Throw Stone.

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    My initial impressions are:

1. It's certainly different from the originals, where I have to relearn a lot (though I haven't played the originals in years). But it carries enough of what made the originals good to satisfy me.
    2. My online experience has been...less than stellar. Matchmaking has taken minutes, and my 2nd match was pretty much a slideshow. I'll try again today, but I hope they can fix this.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    The ending video from Dissidia is floating around now. I might have teared up a bit. It's fucking glorious.

• Options
    I only played a couple of matches in the morning and it didn’t take that long to find a match.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Whoever decided time over means everyone loses...

Fuck this AI that just decides to run away for two minutes.

Also, whoever thought that with one HP attack equipped "can only use after not attacking for 5 sec" is a good restriction on one... Like, maybe if it had a huge area of effect, but... no, not really?

Ugh, if anything its starting to feel like they actually made more bad decisions than in duodecim. I just do not understand some of these HP attacks. When you can only equip one you can't use something unreliable.

Y'shtola suffers there too. First HP attack is fine - big point blank explosion around her, back off to avoid but someone looking elsewhere is easy to nail. Second one? Thin little short range laser, have to charge up... and also it has poor tracking during the charge. So even someone looking the wrong way will dodge it by accident.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    I really wish there was a training mode for each character so you can learn them at your own pace. Like Lightning for example - I had no idea you had to click in the left stick to change roles until I watched a YouTube video guide. I had some cool moments, like scoring a double KO with Firion to win the match, but mostly I keep getting stomped when I try different characters. Right now I'm focusing on Cecil, because I liked how he plays in the PSP games.

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    I really wish there was a training mode for each character so you can learn them at your own pace. Like Lightning for example - I had no idea you had to click in the left stick to change roles until I watched a YouTube video guide. I had some cool moments, like scoring a double KO with Firion to win the match, but mostly I keep getting stomped when I try different characters. Right now I'm focusing on Cecil, because I liked how he plays in the PSP games.

It's odd to me that they removed Sparring mode, where you can presumably set up single matches, in the beta test so people could test out the characters.

• Options
    Played a few matches. 2 wins and 4 losses (in which I was 5th or 6th in the grading) and I think I might've had my fill. Not so sure I can handle the stress of a team fighter.

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Is this beta multiplayer only?

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    no, it has VS AI and a bit of story, I believe

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    lionheart_m on
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    So this is the end of the series? Nothing but FFXV re-releases, until they think they've gotten it right?

• Options
    I'm sure we'll get a new thing on the PS6.