As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cyberpunk 2077 - It Can't Get Darker Than Night City, Right?

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Aaaand the developer said they liked the model of info only shortly before the game is released - so maybe this year?!

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    So it looks like we'll be getting a new trailer at E3 this year and maybe there'll be a closed door demo.
    If its just CG again, I'm going to lose my shit.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    So it looks like we'll be getting a new trailer at E3 this year and maybe there'll be a closed door demo.

Weren't pretty much all the trailers leading up to Witcher 3 CG?

5gsowHm.png
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    If we seriously get a cyberpunk game with the quality of the Witcher 3 or better, I might simply have to lock myself in a room and play it 100% ten times.

I actually hate medieval fantasy settings, but Witcher is just so good it transcends genre and is simply a great game.

I fucking love the cyberpunk genre though.

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I hope you like dystopias

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00

I, for one, welcome our corporate overlords.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular

I, for one, welcome our corporate overlords.

Hah this actually reminds me of cyberpunk fantasies my buddies and I have and how dumb I am.

Buddy 1: "Oh man I'd love to be a hacker fighting against the corporate overlords."
    Buddy 2: "Naw man, cyberpunk private detective."
    Me: "Uh, I kinda wanna be a faceless corporate goon."

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    Cyberpunk dystopias are in right now because we're living in one

steam_sig.png

I mean Singapore is basically Neo-Mega-Tokyo today.

• Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    I remember doing a freeform Cyberpunk RPG with a couple of friends on the old CBR boards (around 2003 it would be IIRC). My character was based on an idea of people having chips implanted that backed up personalities so that in case of accident your personality could be downloaded into a new cloned body. (Users were not told about the issues with the technology, incomplete backups and restores, errors made and selling of personal data harvested from the chips to third parties) My character was one who had accidentally had multiple different personalities/skills downloaded into a single body. Had a lot of fun with that.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
    Syngyne wrote: »

Yeah but we already had a good idea of what we were getting with the Witcher series at that point.

Going silent for so long only to have more CG to show for it would piss more than a few people off, I would imagine.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited January 2018

Though they're a lot more adverse to drug use and possession than your typical neon-lit cyberpunk cityscape.

And they're very diligent about enforcing those laws, and other ones.

EDIT: Also, pretty much a whole non-smoking country. E-Cigarettes are banned, haha, it's like the nightmarish dreams of someone living in a cyberpunk dystopia.

Synthesis on
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

Isn't that basically a requirement of cyberpunk?

Synthesis wrote: »

Though they're a lot more adverse to drug use and possession than your typical neon-lit cyberpunk cityscape.

EDIT: Also, pretty much a whole non-smoking country. E-Cigarettes are banned, haha, it's like the nightmarish dreams of someone living in a cyberpunk dystopia.

Hahaha! So basically a cyberpunk dystopia lover's dystopian cyberpunk?

edited January 2018

Basically, an organized, legalistic state where laws are publically displayed and harshly enforced. Oh, and there are a lot of them. Unlike historical capitalist dictatorships, Singapore's sort of an extreme version of that.

Capital punishment for drug possession? Very high fines for littering and jaywalking? Tediously high difficulty for smoking tobacco? Sounds like a cyerpunk's (and libertarian's) worse nightmare to me.

Synthesis on

Yeah but we already had a good idea of what we were getting with the Witcher series at that point.

Going silent for so long only to have more CG to show for it would piss more than a few people off, I would imagine.
    Eh.. CDProjekt Red has accrued "some" goodwill with me and a trillion other people.

Even "just" a new CG trailer would be amazing as balls

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited January 2018

Basically, an organized, legalistic state where laws are publically displayed and harshly enforced. Oh, and there are a lot of them. Unlike historical capitalist dictatorships, Singapore's sort of an extreme version of that.

Capital punishment for drug possession? Very high fines for littering and jaywalking? Tediously high difficulty for smoking tobacco? Sounds like a cyerpunk's (and libertarian's) worse nightmare to me.

Cyberpunk dystopias focus on societies where weak governments are no longer able protect their citizens' rights against the economically powerful.

The edition of Neuromancer I read had an afterward which commented on how cyberpunk has roots in the rural US, because small towns in the rural US have been hollowed out by corporate ownership and resource extraction, with no effective government to protect their residents, or governments that were actively selling the community out to outside interests.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
    Jephery wrote: »

Cyberpunk dystopias focus on societies where weak governments are no longer able protect their citizens' rights against the economically powerful.

The edition of Neuromancer I read had an afterward which commented on how cyberpunk has roots in the rural US, because small towns in the rural US have been hollowed out by corporate ownership and resource extraction, with no effective government to protect their residents, or governments that were actively selling the community out to outside interests.

That sounds about right (I'm much more about post-Cyberpunk myself). I've only been there a few times myself (and would go again), but of all the descriptions of Singapore, "weak government" is one I haven't heard.

edited January 2018

Eh.. CDProjekt Red has accrued "some" goodwill with me and a trillion other people.

Even "just" a new CG trailer would be amazing as balls
    No way for me.

They announced this way too early, more than happy to hold their feet to the fire for that. After this long, I need to see what they have to show for it.

Dr. Chaos on
    It's future Witcher with guns

steam_sig.png

• MassenaMassena Registered User regular
    These guys made the best game I've ever played. And then they gave a ton of free content away. And then they made the best DLC I've ever played. And I've been playing games since 1987.

So yeah, they've got some leeway from me. In fact, the only thing they could do to piss me off would be to release a crappy game that relies on media and PR and the rep of W3 for its sales.

I'll wait a good long while if that's what it takes to get it right.

edited January 2018
    Alright. You've sold me.

But only if I can still have sex with everything and rub weird fantasy drugs on my junk.

Dr. Chaos on
    Alright. You've sold me.

But only if I can still have sex with everything and rub weird fantasy drugs on my junk.

That was just some sort of guess. I have no idea what Cyberpunk 2077 is, or is going to be. I just understand that people are excited, and there is good pedigree involved.

steam_sig.png

Just crossing my fingers there will be a character creator in this one since theres a good opportunity to be more open ended and start fresh with this franchise in comparison to stepping into Geralt's story.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

Yeah I'm holding out hope that it'll have good combat because of that, the clunkiness of Witcher's systems always made me bounec off the games.

Just crossing my fingers there will be a character creator in this one since theres a good opportunity to be more open ended and start fresh with this franchise in comparison to stepping into Geralt's story.

You can probably rest comfortable on that front. Granted the info is like five years old now, but they did say that character customization was a thing (man or woman!) and also that you'll also craft their "personality" (whatever that means). They've said both those things will have an impact on how the world interacts with you (also whatever that means).

The take away here is that the game is pretty likely to have character ccreator.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    if i cant be a cyberwaifu i am literally flying to poland and running a campaign to get them a leaving the eu referendum

obF2Wuw.png
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    if i cant be a cyberwaifu i am literally flying to poland and running a campaign to get them a leaving the eu referendum

I'm going to be a cyberwaifu who was downloaded into a cyberwaifu body who hacks cyberwaifu networks and remotely controls cyberwaifus in pursuit of her cyberwaifu agenda.

Cyberwaifuception. All the way down.

• SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    I just want some Zeiss Ikons so I don't have to keep getting new glasses like every year

5gsowHm.png
    Are there any good female led cyberpunk stories?

steam_sig.png

I just want to be a dirty cop and relive my renegade shepard days.

Since they're free to create their own protagonists, hopefully theres some good mustache twirling choices to be had that you could understandably never get from Geralt.

I hope I can play as one of the "upper crust" and that I get a "wash hands" option ever time I interact with The Poors.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
  • QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Two things need to be in the Cyberpunk game that are different from CDPR's other projects, that need to be good for CP2077 to be a hit.

Needs to be a good firing reticle and cover system. Reticle needs to be dynamic to take into account potential cybernetics and smartlinks.

And there needs to be a good, challenging but rewarding netrunning minigame. And that's been hard for a lot of games to pull off, but hopefully they can find a happy medium between being too convoluted and not having a minigame at all. If they do it correctly, it could be CP2077's Gwent.

Quiotu on
    wbee62u815wj.png
  • QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    What I'm saying is this needs to be CDPR's Deus Ex: Human Revolution... and honestly the idea of them making a Deus Ex game in their style makes me moist.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • RemingtonRemington Registered User regular
    They could also make it in their own vision and still have it be good. I'd be alright with that.

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Most of William Gibson's novels have women protagonists heading up one or more of the various interwoven plot threads.

Remington wrote: »
    They could also make it in their own vision and still have it be good. I'd be alright with that.

Yeah, seriously. They got a lot of leeway from me.. Witcher was just so insanely polished, and they basically have infinite money and time for this game, plus access to Mike Pondsmith

This game is at least going to be serviceable, and probably even pretty good!

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

Ghost in the Shell?

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular

Ghost in the Shell?

I'm curious: would The Diamond Age count?

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |