As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

and the name of the thread is [POD CATS]

• VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    just occurred to me I could maybe share a podcast with this thread that some people don't know about

I listen to a Sopranos podcast called No Fuckin Ziti. They're on the last season now but I had a blast catching up last summer and then waiting for it to come back. If anyone loves the show and wants to have some fun reliving it I really enjoy these two dudes.

and it's small enough that you can usually easily communicate with them on twitter

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Dan's expressed love of puzzle games before. (See the Talos Principle quicklook)

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    He also has completed basically every Picross game, I think?

CYpGAPn.png
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I think Picross falls under the "Tetris" category of Puzzle games that even appeal to people who aren't into puzzle games.

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    it's time for the Jack episode of the FatT prelude and I am almost immediately reminded why I really don't like the Blades system

or at least, I don't like it the way Jack and Austin play it

because Jack has a very particular playstyle that he almost always engages in, regardless of what his characters are built for, and Austin always rolls with it

and with other systems that leads to some great, interesting situations

but in Blades it leads to a man getting kicked in the ribs so repeatedly and so hard that he develops mental trauma, and I don't want to listen to that

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    it's time for the Jack episode of the FatT prelude and I am almost immediately reminded why I really don't like the Blades system

or at least, I don't like it the way Jack and Austin play it

because Jack has a very particular playstyle that he almost always engages in, regardless of what his characters are built for, and Austin always rolls with it

and with other systems that leads to some great, interesting situations

but in Blades it leads to a man getting kicked in the ribs so repeatedly and so hard that he develops mental trauma, and I don't want to listen to that

I was amazed when a fight was about to start during Follow and Austin asked "... and do you think that goes well?" and Jack did not immediately respond "no."

admanb on
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    I think Picross falls under the "Tetris" category of Puzzle games that even appeal to people who aren't into puzzle games.

No way, Picross at its core relies too much on rules, logic, and math skills to be anywhere close to approaching the ease of understanding and popularity Tetris or Match-3 style puzzle games have.

• CharmyCharmy Registered User regular
    I can see why it's not for everyone, but I like Jack's play style a lot. It's had a big impact on the tabletop characters I create, in that it taught me that sometimes it's really fun to play a character who's constantly getting clowned on.

I have a twitter.
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I also like Jack's playstyle

but the system of Blades pretty much demands that the cost of failure wont be up to the discretion of the DM (who is supposed to be a fan of the characters in the AW derivatives)

but that a certain amount of mental suffering be enacted on the players

I just cannot truck with that, especially considering how it seems to force Austin to skew into brutality he usually avoids for the trauma to make sense in the context of the story and narrative

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Opty wrote: »

No way, Picross at its core relies too much on rules, logic, and math skills to be anywhere close to approaching the ease of understanding and popularity Tetris or Match-3 style puzzle games have.

Picross appeals to the type of people who would be into Sudoku, which is a certain subset of puzzle enthusiast.

That's the cool thing about puzzle games (video game or not), there are so many different core competencies that they can appeal to. People who are good with language stuff have a whole swath of word-based puzzles, people who are good at spatial reasoning have jigsaw puzzles and all sorts of block-based video games, etc.

I think a lot of people who say they don't like puzzle games have just tried puzzles that don't mesh with their particular strengths and that there are probably puzzle games out there to appeal to just about anyone.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    y'know i read you saying that you didn't want to hear an rpg session where the DM kicks the player character in the ribs over and over until he's mentally traumatized and my first thought was "shit that sounds great" and i'm concerned about what that says about me

it means if you open a patreon for pizza party and cosmic call you'll probably get more than 10,000 dollars a month

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • replacewythyreplacewythy Registered User regular
    it means if you open a patreon for pizza party and cosmic call you'll probably get more than 10,000 dollars a month

Well first of all, Cosmic Call is funded by NASA

• LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Oh man, Dan seems completely into Opus Magnum in this Quick Look, which is fantastic.

This a frontrunner for Best Surprise for 2018, tbh

I was actually just joking about Best Surprise being “Dan being super into Opus Magnum”.

I wish I could wrap my head around Zachtronics games though.

You should totally get Opus Magnum! It's really fun! I also recommend Infinifactory for everyone to try out, and SpaceChem is great too. TIS-100 and Shenzen I/O are also good but are straight up programming as a game.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    y'know i read you saying that you didn't want to hear an rpg session where the DM kicks the player character in the ribs over and over until he's mentally traumatized and my first thought was "shit that sounds great" and i'm concerned about what that says about me

Marielda is very good

• replacewythyreplacewythy Registered User regular
    Jack has two characters in Marielda, but it's balanced out by neither of them having stats.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Oh man, Dan seems completely into Opus Magnum in this Quick Look, which is fantastic.

This a frontrunner for Best Surprise for 2018, tbh

I was actually just joking about Best Surprise being “Dan being super into Opus Magnum”.

I wish I could wrap my head around Zachtronics games though.

You should totally get Opus Magnum! It's really fun! I also recommend Infinifactory for everyone to try out, and SpaceChem is great too. TIS-100 and Shenzen I/O are also good but are straight up programming as a game.

Ironclad Tactics is the only game I’ve played from them but it’s pretty fun.

• EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular

Well first of all, Cosmic Call is funded by NASA

So they could use the money, is what you're saying

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I bought a copy of the Sprawl sourcebook this weekend and I'm not saying I'm going to write a mission where the crew gets hired to extract Scott from HQ but I'm not NOT saying that

Grey Ghost on
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    What are your overall thoughts on The Sprawl? As a system that doesn't quite click for me (despite pretty much every indicator that it should click for me), I'm always interested in hearing how other people feel about it.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Speaking of tabletop RPGs, I bought Hero Kids just now to play with Anya

will report on how well that goes, I guess

Straightzi wrote: »
    What are your overall thoughts on The Sprawl? As a system that doesn't quite click for me (despite pretty much every indicator that it should click for me), I'm always interested in hearing how other people feel about it.

I know Pathfinder has an issue with too many supplements but "the sprawl" feels like a mean nickname

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    y'all ever watch one of those quick looks without knowing anything about the game in question and then turn it off after 10 minutes cause ya go "yeah I'm gonna buy this game"

cause I just did that with Opus Magnum

Oghulk wrote: »
    y'all ever watch one of those quick looks without knowing anything about the game in question and then turn it off after 10 minutes cause ya go "yeah I'm gonna buy this game"

Wasn't a Quick Look" but I watched the first episode of a Wolf Among Us Let's Play and immediately bought the game because I was invested in the story and disagreed with one of the (largely inconsequential) choices the LPers made.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I've done it for other games. Dead Cells when Jason played it on UPF. If it was a quick look I woulda just turned it off cause like, don't really wanna see more of the game if I'm actually into it and gonna get it

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I really want to get Opus Magnum if just because I wanna support Zachtronics

but I can't justify just spending money on stuff I probably won't play

• Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular

Wasn't a Quick Look" but I watched the first episode of a Wolf Among Us Let's Play and immediately bought the game because I was invested in the story and disagreed with one of the (largely inconsequential) choices the LPers made.

I'm betting it was
    going to Toad's or Faith's husband's first?

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I bought Gorogoa after seeing the Quick Look, but I was already going to buy it anyway during the Steam sale and I just wanted to make sure it was not something completely different than what I was expecting.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular

I haven't actually played a game of The Sprawl yet, but I like what's being done with it on Friends at the Table, and I'm currently playing a game of Masks, which is another Powered By the Apocalypse game, so while I have a little ground work in place I still have a ways to go before I could offer any detailed breakdown of my thoughts

In general though I really like what the Apocalypse system does to facilitate interesting narratives rather than a bunch of number crunchy combat rounds

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    dan's expressed a great love for puzzle games!

y'all just think dan's the wrestling metal gear guy

I would not blame anybody for assuming Dan only liked those two things you mentioned.

He's very purposely made it his entire personality, at least publicly.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i mean i'm going to single out the 'at least publicly' part of your statement and observe that maybe people should realize that they only see an extremely narrow slice of life of the people in the podcasts they consume

giant bomb in particular has a problem with a lot of fans asserting 100% objective facts about people they don't know: jeff hates all X, brad does no work and cocaine, dan is a pro-trump midwesterner

they're just regular dudes and you don't see much of them y'all

liEt3nH.png

I'm betting it was
    going to Toad's or Faith's husband's first?

Nope, way more minor than that
    they fucked up a button prompt and glassed Woodsman in the bar without meaning to. I felt so bad for the dude I wanted to go back and redo the scene myself so it didn't happen

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    i mean i'm going to single out the 'at least publicly' part of your statement and observe that maybe people should realize that they only see an extremely narrow slice of life of the people in the podcasts they consume

giant bomb in particular has a problem with a lot of fans asserting 100% objective facts about people they don't know: jeff hates all X, brad does no work and cocaine, dan is a pro-trump midwesterner

they're just regular dudes and you don't see much of them y'all

This also goes for pretty much everyone you see on the Internet and social media

Even if someone is on their a whole bunch, you're still only seeing the small percentage of their life they decided (or are required by their job) to show you

It is important to bear this in mind!

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Speaking of tabletop RPGs, I bought Hero Kids just now to play with Anya

will report on how well that goes, I guess

Have you looked into No Thank You, Evil! for you kid's RPG needs? That's the one I'm gonna go for when mine are old enough.

And I've now added Hero Kids to my list, too.

I really like The Sprawl for one-shots and short campaigns, but I would have a tough time running a full campaign for it. It has a very restrictive structure that works well for the genre it's emulating but allows very little flexibility. It also has a very disposable approach towards PCs, which again works for the theme but is rough in the context of a PbtA RPG.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    admanb wrote: »

I really like The Sprawl for one-shots and short campaigns, but I would have a tough time running a full campaign for it. It has a very restrictive structure that works well for the genre it's emulating but allows very little flexibility. It also has a very disposable approach towards PCs, which again works for the theme but is rough in the context of a PbtA RPG.

Yeah, this covers a lot of my feelings as well. My biggest complaint is that it doesn't feel punk enough, which is a direct result of its restrictive structure. I can understand why that structure is in place, but I can't help but feel that any character I tried to create for the game would lash out at the structure of the game as much as they were lashing out at the fictional structures in the game itself, which... doesn't make for a good character, essentially.

Yeah, this covers a lot of my feelings as well. My biggest complaint is that it doesn't feel punk enough, which is a direct result of its restrictive structure. I can understand why that structure is in place, but I can't help but feel that any character I tried to create for the game would lash out at the structure of the game as much as they were lashing out at the fictional structures in the game itself, which... doesn't make for a good character, essentially.

To me it's the perfect emulation of first wave Gibson Sprawl/Bridge trilogy cyberpunk, in which the protagonists are largely people who suddenly found themselves in a terrible situation and are just doing what they can to avoid dying.

To me it's the perfect emulation of first wave Gibson Sprawl/Bridge trilogy cyberpunk, in which the protagonists are largely people who suddenly found themselves in a terrible situation and are just doing what they can to avoid dying.

Yeah, but that only works for me for like, one or two stories. Which... I think is some of where you're coming from too, if you prefer it for one-shot sort of things. But at a certain point, the character who is constantly hustling for a new job standing a razor's edge away from oblivion just stops feeling fun or interesting to me. It isn't necessarily an unrealistic portrayal of people - that sort of person absolutely exists - but it isn't really what I want out of a game. And The Sprawl really feels like it locks me into that hustle with its gameplay cycle.

• RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    To be fair, Brad does a lot of cocaine

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    The Sprawl's "hard coded" episodic structure is my one sticking point with the system

This discussion has been closed.