As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[pbp] Ruins of Undermountain (D&D 5e) - ADVENTURE OVER!!! Thanks for Playing!

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Well, that's not spidery at all! Lolth's been playing us for suckers!

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    am0nam0n Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Issue with being slow is not getting to roll a stealth check to hide behind a pillar before the Yochlawl is summoned.

Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Init to Winit

"Regardless of what happens, it's been a pleasure working with you all," Ay says starkly. "Even you, Salazar."

Edit: In lieu of the Yochlawl, WTB: Level 5 for this encounter.
    Edit2: That's a 6, not an 8. Forgot I don't add Prof bonus to Init.

Init to Winit:
    1d20+5 8 [1d20=3]

am0n on
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited January 2018

Still need Initiative from @Aegis but so far Barran is up first.

Also, FYI: Zarr's first turn will be to levitate up to the ledge and summon the Yochlol. It just sounded better narratively if she did it right before combat. :)

Map:
    2G32bfL.jpg
    Dim Light Throughout the Room
    The Ledge to the east is 20' off the stone floor. The throne is on a raised platform of negligible height

Stats & Initiative Order:
    Barran - AC:16, HP: 27+5/27, Spells: -/1, HD: 2/4, H.Pots: 2
    Lady Zarr (H14+20') - AC:16, HP:71, Spells:-/4/3/3/3/2, Fey Ancestry, Innate Spells
    Yochlol (H11) - AC:15, HP:136, Resist: B/P/S, Cold, Fire & Lightning except magic, Immune Poison, Magic Resistance, Spider Climb, Web Walker
    Philo - AC:19, HP:38+5/38, 3/4 Sup. Dice, HD: 1/4, Cold Resistance, INSPIRATION, H.Pots: 1&1G
    Ay - AC:16, HP: 29+5/31, Ki: 4/4, HD: 2/4, H.Pots: 2
    Salazar - AC:16, HP: 30+5/30, Spells:-/4/3, SP:4, HD:0/4, BARKSKINNED, H.Pots: 2, Scrolls: Fireball, Acid Arrow
    Drow 1 (C10+15') - AC:15, HP:13, Fey Ancestry, Innate Spells, Half-Cover
    Drow 2 (M10+15') - AC:15, HP:13, Fey Ancestry, Innate Spells, Half-Cover
    Ra'Fiki (G11) - AC:13, HP:10, Resist: B/P/S,Cold except Silver & Magic, Immune to Fire & Poison

Dural - AC:18, HP: 40+5/40, Spells:-/1, LoH:5/20, HD: 0/4, INSPIRATION, H.Pots: 1&1G

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    Steelhawk wrote: »

Also, FYI: Zarr's first turn will be to levitate up to the ledge and summon the Yochlol. It just sounded better narratively if she did it right before combat. :)

No pressure, @Bursar , Barran just has to 1 shot Lady Zarr and no Yochlawl!

• Options
    Let's not panic yet. I believe in the heart of the dice!

GNU Terry Pratchett
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    I guess Ay could try to leap up onto the ledge and engage Zarr, so she (hopefully) can't cast as effectively, while Dural and Philo chew through the Yochlol and Barrand and Sal engage targets of opportunity from cover?

I dunno. It's a lot of HP to chew through.

• Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    // if she weren't a goddamned drow priestess (high wis, fey ancestry), I'd use suggestion to get her to dismiss the demon..

if we're going to talk meta tactics:
    The yochlol will solo us. Only hope is to kill Zarr off so it gets sent home. My suggestion would be to quickly take out the drow warriors and the imp (their damage will stack up quickly and they have dumb spells with dumber poisons) and have philo dodge tank the demon while everyone else focus fires Zarr.
    Although honestly, unless Steelhawk plays this poorly, we're really not likely to win.

evilthecat on
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    I'd suggest taking down Ra'Fiki before he gets the chance to turn invisible and cause us no end of trouble, as happened the last time we tangled with some imps. But seeing as he's resistant or downright immune to anything Barran can level at him, I don't know if we can alpha-strike him first thing.

There's the possibility of getting off Tasha's Hideous Laughter on Zarr first thing, but a) she'd probably beat the saving throw immediately anyway, and b) Barran would have to get really close to the demon to use it, and it's a concentration spell.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    evilthecat wrote: »
    // if she weren't a goddamned drow priestess (high wis, fey ancestry), I'd use suggestion to get her to dismiss the demon..

The yochlol will solo us. Only hope is to kill Zarr off so it gets sent home. My suggestion would be to quickly take out the drow warriors and the imp (their damage will stack up quickly and they have dumb spells with dumber poisons) and have philo dodge tank the demon while everyone else focus fires Zarr.
    Although honestly, unless Steelhawk plays this poorly, we're really not likely to win.
    Didn't realize the demon gets unsummoned if Zarr dies. I can try and hold the yochlol's attention while the rest of you work on the drow, if everyone's aboard with that plan.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    minion, roll 1d20 for Initiative

Initiative:
    1d20 11 [1d20=11]

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options

Didn't realize the demon gets unsummoned if Zarr dies. I can try and hold the yochlol's attention while the rest of you work on the drow, if everyone's aboard with that plan.

Like I say, it's meta knowledge.
    From Sal's point of view, an already powerful opponent summoned something even deadlier onto the field.
    We've no idea how many more minions are waiting in the wings.
    As much as he'd like to brag about besting a demon and it's drow master, you can't brag about shit if you're dead!

• Options
    edited January 2018
    ROUND ONE

Alright...I'm digging the strategy table talk, but its go time! @Bursar can take his turn to do what he can and then Zarr will summon the demon and float up to the ledge. @Aegis is on deck!

Map:
    2G32bfL.jpg
    Dim Light Throughout the Room
    The Ledge to the east is 20' off the stone floor. The throne is on a raised platform of negligible height. The two statues are 10' tall.

Stats & Initiative Order:
    Barran - AC:16, HP: 27+5/27, Spells: -/1, HD: 2/4, H.Pots: 2
    Lady Zarr (H14+20') - AC:16, HP:71, Spells:-/4/3/3/3/2, Fey Ancestry, Innate Spells
    Yochlol (H11) - AC:15, HP:136, Resist: B/P/S, Cold, Fire & Lightning except magic, Immune Poison, Magic Resistance, Spider Climb, Web Walker
    Dural - AC:18, HP: 40+5/40, Spells:-/1, LoH:5/20, HD: 0/4, INSPIRATION, H.Pots: 1&1G
    Philo - AC:19, HP:38+5/38, 3/4 Sup. Dice, HD: 1/4, Cold Resistance, INSPIRATION, H.Pots: 1&1G
    Salazar - AC:16, HP: 30+5/30, Spells:-/4/3, SP:4, HD:0/4, BARKSKINNED, H.Pots: 2, Scrolls: Fireball, Acid Arrow
    Ra'Fiki (G11) - AC:13, HP:10, Resist: B/P/S,Cold except Silver & Magic, Immune to Fire & Poison

Steelhawk on
  • Options

Like I say, it's meta knowledge.
    From Sal's point of view, an already powerful opponent summoned something even deadlier onto the field.
    We've no idea how many more minions are waiting in the wings.
    As much as he'd like to brag about besting a demon and it's drow master, you can't brag about shit if you're dead!

That is somewhat meta knowledge yes, but since Sal is also a magic-user he's more likely to know that summoned creatures are unsummoned if the caster dies, or dismisses it.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    We'll see about that!
    After the roll:

eh, fiiine. Sal's blood is telling him that slapping the crap outta the drow might break her concentration on the summon.
    (hmm after reading it: my initial RP constraint would be: Sal's a sorcerer, not a wizard. he didn't study stuff, magic just happens. Knowing stuff, particularly about other "approaches" to magic, isn't his thing)

minion, roll 1d20+1 for self-imposed arcana check!

self-imposed arcana check!:
    1d20+1 18 [1d20=17]

evilthecat on
  • Options
    Barran slaps leather, drawing his crossbow and firing a poisoned bolt in Zarr's direction even as he hustles towards the cover of one of the pillars!

Attack: fire a poison bolt at Zarr (ammo: 9 remaining)
    Move: 25ft to C6
    Bonus: Hide (Cunning Action)

Geth, roll 1d20+6 for Crossbow at Zarr
    Geth, roll 1d6+4 for Piercing damage
    Geth, roll 1d20+6 for Cowering Hiding Behind a Pillar

Crossbow at Zarr:
    1d20+6 25 [1d20=19]
    Piercing damage:
    1d6+4 9 [1d6=5]
    Cowering Hiding Behind a Pillar:
    1d20+6 26 [1d20=20]

GNU Terry Pratchett
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    Wow, almost perfect rolls for all of them! @Steelhawk , Zarr needs a Con save to avoid poison; the previous usages of these poisoned bolts by the drow were a DC13, for reference. Anyway, Zarr is up. Let's see her summon a demon while barfing!
    Barran (C6) - AC:16, HP: 27+5/27, Spells: -/1, HD: 2/4, H.Pots: 2, Hidden, Half-Cover
    Lady Zarr (H14+20') - AC:16, HP:62, Spells:-/4/3/3/3/2, Fey Ancestry, Innate Spells

GNU Terry Pratchett
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Does Fey Ancestry count as them being Fey for the purposes of certain things that may affect Fey?

Characters
  • Options
    Aegis wrote: »
    Does Fey Ancestry count as them being Fey for the purposes of certain things that may affect Fey?

neh, it's just a fancy way for elves to be better than everyone else but not suffer any consequences...

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Aegis wrote: »

neh, it's just a fancy way for elves to be better than everyone else but not suffer any consequences...

Elves! *shakes fist*

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    on that note:

@Steelhawk after reading the spell and Crawford tweets, it would seem suggestion isn't affected by fey ancestry. Would you rule it this way or not? Not expecting it to work 100%, I mean the argument would have to be super compelling, but I need to know what my options are! :D

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Barran's bolt lands in Zarr's thigh, but in her exaltations towards Lolth she pays it no mind.

I already described all the cool shit Zarr did on her turn. Describing it twice seems weird. Except now a Yochlol has bamfed into existence. @Aegis is up!

Geth, roll 1d20+4 for Zarr's Con Save vs. 13

Regarding Fey Ancestry the MM says: "The Drow has advantage on saving throws against being charmed, and magic can't put the drow to sleep"

Zarr's Con Save vs. 13:
    1d20+4 21 [1d20=17]

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    on that note:

@Steelhawk after reading the spell and Crawford tweets, it would seem suggestion isn't affected by fey ancestry. Would you rule it this way or not? Not expecting it to work 100%, I mean the argument would have to be super compelling, but I need to know what my options are! :D

Finally read up on Suggestion. Zarr would get advantage on her wisdom save as she would any Charm effect.

• Options
    It isn't a charm effect though!
    but fine, not like it's gonna go through her wisdom mod anyway

• Options
    edited January 2018
    It isn't a charm effect though!
    but fine, not like it's gonna go through her wisdom mod anyway

I don't know what tweets you are reading, but how is it not a charm effect? I bolded the relevant, to us, part. Zarr is not immune to Charms, but she does get Advantage the saves.

2nd-level enchantment
    Casting Time: 1 action
    Range: 30 feet
    Components: V, M (a snake’s tongue and either a bit of honeycomb or a drop of sweet oil)
    Duration: Concentration, up to 8 hours
    You suggest a course of activity (limited to a sentence or two) and magically influence a creature you can see within range that can hear and understand you. Creatures that can’t be charmed are immune to this effect. The suggestion must be worded in such a manner as to make the course of action sound reasonable. Asking the creature to stab itself, throw itself onto a spear, immolate itself, or do some other obviously harmful act ends the spell.
    The target must make a Wisdom saving throw. On a failed save, it pursues the course of action you described to the best of its ability. The suggested course of action can continue for the entire duration. If the suggested activity can be completed in a shorter time, the spell ends when the subject finishes what it was asked to do.
    You can also specify conditions that will trigger a special activity during the duration. For example, you might suggest that a knight give her warhorse to the first beggar she meets. If the condition isn’t met before the spell expires, the activity isn’t performed.
    If you or any of your companions damage the target, the spell ends.

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    More fodder for the 5E natural language complaints in the thread about D&D, I think...

GNU Terry Pratchett
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    IIRC, Charmed is a specific condition in 5e, and so that bonus against charmed is referring to things which inflict the Charmed condition.

Characters
  • Options
    Roll20's compendium says capital C "Charmed" and links to the condition, I get that.... but the Monster Manual text says small c "charmed" which I would think would apply to all charms and charm like effects. Which one is correct? I would think the MM has more value, but I don't know the errata or anything.

We're arguing about this too much. Dural needs to hit something. :)

• Options
    The reasoning from crawford is thus:

If a spell charms you, it says so.
    I.e. Charm Person or Dominate Person.
    Suggestion confers you an extra bonus in that it can't affect you if you're immune to charms but it doesn't inflict the charm status.
    It's a messy language.

It's all moot at the moment, it's not like she isn't going to roll higher than an 8.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    That is silly, and we could discuss it all day.... But let's move on instead. @Aegis is up!

Stats & Initiative Order (now with updated locations!):
    Barran (C6) - AC:16, HP: 27+5/27, Spells: -/1, HD: 2/4, H.Pots: 2, Hidden, Half-Cover
    Lady Zarr (H14+20') - AC:16, HP:62/71, Spells:-/4/3/3/3/2, Fey Ancestry, Innate Spells
    Dural (K7) - AC:18, HP: 40+5/40, Spells:-/1, LoH:5/20, HD: 0/4, INSPIRATION, H.Pots: 1&1G
    Philo (E7) - AC:19, HP:38+5/38, 3/4 Sup. Dice, HD: 1/4, Cold Resistance, INSPIRATION, H.Pots: 1&1G
    Salazar (I6) - AC:16, HP: 30+5/30, Spells:-/4/3, SP:4, HD:0/4, BARKSKINNED, H.Pots: 2, Scrolls: Fireball, Acid Arrow
    At (G6) - AC:16, HP: 29+5/31, Ki: 4/4, HD: 2/4, H.Pots: 2

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    One would expect, perhaps, that the paladin would raise his hammer and shield and charge forth into the fray at the sight of the foul demon crawling its way out of the depths. The thought did cross Dural's mind, truth be told, for a brief moment, perhaps spurred on by his dwarven heritage and innate dislike of the rest of the company this demon was called into. But then he remembered, of the light and laughter, hope and song that called to him those many, many years ago in the wilderness, beneath the deep blue sky and far from the comforting ceiling of rock that should have been his home.

So Dural walked. He walked towards the wax-covered abomination, its single large disgusting eye blinking at him from across the room. His pace was measured and determined, but neither hurried nor concealing some ulterior motive; he simply walked and sang:

"Raised on songs an' stories, heroes of renown,
    The passing tales and glories, that once were Undermoun',
    The hallowed halls and houses, the haunting delver's cries,
    That once were part of Undermountain, in rare old times."

Punching the song's end upon reaching the devil is a loud clank as Dural lets his hammer fall, headfirst to rest handle-up on the ground as he reaches around his person and withdraws a proper mug; a mug handmade from stern wood, its base chipped and smooth from repeated use (and clanking into tabletops). "Gotta keep me spirits up," he says to the fiend, not particularly interested in whether it can speak or understand him mind you, but still staring the creature in the eye, "'Tis a sad day were all the Light t'go out of the world. Undermountain been dark for far too long, and while ye may have one big eye that seek to make a mockery of the Watchful Eye above, -his- eye will be sweepin' across these halls and bring Light and mirth back into every corner, an' chase ye all back to the Hells ye came from. So, bottoms up!" With that, he lifts the mug in a toast, and then downs it.

Emblazoned in white paint along the side of the mug facing the Yochlol is the holy symbol of Marthammor Duin, a white mace raised upright in front of a well-traveled boot.

Move: H10.
    No Action: Drop hammer in H10.
    Free Action: Grab a mug of ale from somewhere on my person, drink it.
    Action - Turn the Faithless: Fiends and Fey within 30 ft make a WIS save (DC 12) or be turned for 1 minute (10 rounds) or until it takes damage. Turned creatures must spend their turns moving as far away from Dural as they can and cannot willingly move to a space closer than 30 ft to me. They can't take reactions. They can only use Dash as their action, or they can try to escape an effect that is otherwise hindering their movement. Otherwise,
    they can Dodge if they can't do any of the above.

Characters
  • Options
    I guess Ay could try to leap up onto the ledge and engage Zarr, so she (hopefully) can't cast as effectively, while Dural and Philo chew through the Yochlol and Barrand and Sal engage targets of opportunity from cover?

I dunno. It's a lot of HP to chew through.

If the above works, hopefully we can just ignore the Yochlol entirely and deal with the rest before the Turn runs out. It it don't, well, I'm in position to help you with handling this bag of hp.

Characters
  • Options
    technically the imp needs to roll against that as well.
    here's hoping.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    The Yochlol's one eye widens in surprise as the stubby Dwarf boldly presents himself. Still freshly summoned, it is in the midst of settling its malleable body into the prime material plane. As a servant of Lolth its first inclination is to shapeshift into a giant spider, the form most pleasing to its Queen's servants on this Plane. Instead though, it eyes the Dwarf hungrily, whipping its tendrils back and forth in anticipation, still not quite fully formed. The demon oozes back a little as the power of the Marthammor Duin washes over it, but it stands its ground.

Ra'Fiki is not so lucky, from his perch on the back of Zarr's throne he was completely unprepared for the divine assault. At the sight of the relic, the blue Imp shrieks in fear and bolts straight up into the air.

Nice! That was really close on the demon there. On Ra'Fiki's turn its going to fly away.

Geth, roll 1d20+6 for Yochlol Save
    Geth, roll 1d20+1 for Imp's Save

Yochlol Save:
    1d20+6 14 [1d20=8]
    Imp's Save:
    1d20+1 10 [1d20=9]

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    technically the imp needs to roll against that as well.
    here's hoping.

Oh, I thought he was a drow this entire time xD

Characters
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Nope. Blue skinned Imp. You met him before, but not named. I did not forget to account for him in that turning. :)

Sorry for the lengthy time to edit that post. Its like my kids wanted to eat dinner tonight or something. Brats.

Stats & Initiative Order (now with updated locations!):
    Lady Zarr (H14+20') - AC:16, HP:62/71, Spells:-/4/3/3/3/2, Fey Ancestry, Innate Spells
    Dural (H10) - AC:18, HP: 40+5/40, Spells:-/1, LoH:5/20, HD: 0/4, INSPIRATION, H.Pots: 1&1G
    Philo (E7) - AC:19, HP:38+5/38, 3/4 Sup. Dice, HD: 1/4, Cold Resistance, INSPIRATION, H.Pots: 1&1G
    Salazar (I6) - AC:16, HP: 30+5/30, Spells:-/4/3, SP:4, HD:0/4, BARKSKINNED, H.Pots: 2, Scrolls: Fireball, Acid Arrow
    Ra'Fiki (G11) - AC:13, HP:10, Resist: B/P/S,Cold except Silver & Magic, Immune to Fire & Poison, TURNED

@Mongrel Idiot is up!

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    "I am with you, Dural!" barks Philo, charging the Yochlol. "We'll make this beast regret that it matched blades with dwarf or man!" As he slashes across one of the creature's tentatcles, he frowns. "Matched... slimy tentacle... with dwarf or man..." Shaking it off, he positions himself near the dwarf, where he can cover his companion's flank from the beast, and takes a mighty swing at the beast, trying to hurt it as much as possible and draw its ire away from the rest of his companions.

Move to G10, adjacent to Dural.
    Action: Attack with Inspiration. If I hit, use Distracting Strike.

Geth, roll 2d20k1+5 for Have at thee, demon!
    Geth, roll 1d8+3 for Yeeeeaaaagh!
    Geth, roll 1d8 for Look at me! I'm a fighter!

Have at thee, demon!:
    2d20k1+5 25 [2d20k1=[20], 1]
    Yeeeeaaaagh!:
    1d8+3 8 [1d8=5]
    Look at me! I'm a fighter!:
    1d8 6 [1d8=6]

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Hahahahah, holy shit. Luck comes through for Philo for once! Believe that lets me roll an extra d8 for the Superiority die, too; I'll roll the two separately, just in case.

Geth, roll 1d8 for Sword crit
    Geth, roll 1d8 for Superiority crit

Edit: Assuming I did the crit right, and assuming I'm reading the Yochlol's stat line correctly, I did a whopping 11 damage at the end of the day to it. Still. Should get it's attention, given that it was probably expecting me to do 0.

Also, the next person who attacks the Yochlol has advantage on the attack roll.

Stats:
    Yochlol (H11) - AC:15, HP:125, Resist: B/P/S, Cold, Fire & Lightning except magic, Immune Poison, Magic Resistance, Spider Climb, Web Walker
    Dural (H10) - AC:18, HP: 40+5/40, Spells:-/1, LoH:5/20, HD: 0/4, INSPIRATION, H.Pots: 1&1G
    Philo (G10) - AC:19, HP:38+5/38, 2/4 Sup. Dice, HD: 1/4, Cold Resistance, H.Pots: 1&1G
    Ra'Fiki (G11) - AC:13, HP:10, Resist: B/P/S,Cold except Silver & Magic, Immune to Fire & Poison, TURNED
    @evilthecat is up!

Sword crit:
    1d8 2 [1d8=2]
    Superiority crit:
    1d8 7 [1d8=7]

Mongrel Idiot on
  • Options
    Disappointing when 4d8 does 11 damage.

And don't worry, Acrobatics were already part of my plan. Let's see how bad it turns out.

• Options
    "Zarr!" calls Philo as the waxy, yellowish blood of the Yochlol splatters onto the floor. "It looks like your friend here bleeds like a mortal, and the little one is afraid of dwarves! There's still time to surrender!" He batters aside a tentacle with his shield and looks for another opening. Gods above, he thinks, that was a hell of a good stroke, and it was like cutting overcooked meat with the edge of a fork...

• Options
    Yeah, y got the magic shield and the silvered sword. Dural's got the magic weapon. Someone else has magic weapons too, I think.

@Bursar - please give me a Stealth check for your Hide action.