As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Here [chat] the Mummies

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Neco wrote: »
    Streaming makes me too self conscious but also if I ever tried it again I dunno what I would actually play on it that would be entertaining to watch
    Is there a niche for bad gaming? Not saying you are bad. This just reminded me to ask y’all. Like I’m gonna stream DS3 where I die and don’t progress for hours.

I've considered that, but I don't know that people would actually find it entertaining for me to like, try the same DS3 area for an hour and die to the same couple of non-boss enemies over and over again? Seems like it would be frustrating rather than fun.

I think I'd be best off streaming league; when my husband's around, I usually keep up a running commentary when I play and call it 'streaming', and he thinks it's pretty entertaining, but also he is pretty biased so it's not at all clear if it would be generally interesting.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    I haven't played it since Wrath, but I think WoW's basic design carries too much phylogeny from Everquest and DikuMUD. Where WoW succeeds, it succeeds despite it's ancestry.

For example, the history of WoW has been to make leveling less onerous over time. If Blizzard feels the need to continually make leveling faster, the obvious question to ask there is, "why have leveling at all?"

Well, because that's just what multiplayer RPGs do. It's a genre convention.

well yeah

and yet when you take it away, a la destiny 2, people bitch to no end so

gimme a game with lots difficult and interesting raid style encounters for a group of 5-10 people and give me everything I need to do it right away with zero farming and i'll pay all the moneys

This is why I like the MH series, its an ever escalating series of just boss encounters.

I thought it had a bunch of crafting shit tho?

cuz if that's all it is, just escalating (and interesting) boss after boss with no grind to lock content behind im very interested

No there is crafting, and you have to grind the boss encounters to build gear, but that shit is so my jam. "Oh small % to get that thing I want to complete my outfit? YES YES SHOOT IT IN MY VEINS!"
    FF11 had the best crafting system. It was meaningful to make certain items and an absolute pain in the ass. The economy was also really meaningful.

And it was entirely lucked based and those with cash made cash.

But high level crafters were meaningful and that was big.

God I loved FfXi

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I haven't played it since Wrath, but I think WoW's basic design carries too much phylogeny from Everquest and DikuMUD. Where WoW succeeds, it succeeds despite it's ancestry.

For example, the history of WoW has been to make leveling less onerous over time. If Blizzard feels the need to continually make leveling faster, the obvious question to ask there is, "why have leveling at all?"

well yeah

gimme a game with lots difficult and interesting raid style encounters for a group of 5-10 people and give me everything I need to do it right away with zero farming and i'll pay all the moneys

This is why I like the MH series, its an ever escalating series of just boss encounters.

I thought it had a bunch of crafting shit tho?

cuz if that's all it is, just escalating (and interesting) boss after boss with no grind to lock content behind im very interested

No there is crafting, and you have to grind the boss encounters to build gear, but that shit is so my jam. "Oh small % to get that thing I want to complete my outfit? YES YES SHOOT IT IN MY VEINS!"

Sounds interesting, depending on the drop rates.

Not too bad early on when you are starting out. With one piece usually taking around 5 kills to get to compete either a weapon upgrade or last piece of armor. Later game the % shoot down, but that's when you're into the theory crafting min max side of MH and so you are looking for those items to complete some serious swank suit and that's part of the fun too.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    See, @Ludious if you'd waited until I was streaming to follow me, you could have gotten your very own personal awkward stumbling thank you message live on stream!

Instead here's a slightly less awkward "thanks dude!"

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    I wish I could twitch or do something creative but instead I will just stare at a screen or a ceiling whenever I'm not playing a multiplayer game with my bros

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    I wish I could twitch or do something creative but instead I will just stare at a screen or a ceiling whenever I'm not playing a multiplayer game with my bros

Do a series where you play through every Star Wars game.

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    Streaming makes me too self conscious but also if I ever tried it again I dunno what I would actually play on it that would be entertaining to watch
    Is there a niche for bad gaming? Not saying you are bad. This just reminded me to ask y’all. Like I’m gonna stream DS3 where I die and don’t progress for hours.

I've considered that, but I don't know that people would actually find it entertaining for me to like, try the same DS3 area for an hour and die to the same couple of non-boss enemies over and over again? Seems like it would be frustrating rather than fun.

I think I'd be best off streaming league; when my husband's around, I usually keep up a running commentary when I play and call it 'streaming', and he thinks it's pretty entertaining, but also he is pretty biased so it's not at all clear if it would be generally interesting.

again, this is literally how i made affiliate

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I still feel self-conscious thanking people for follows and donations and subs and stuff. Not because I don't legit appreciate it, but because it's such a streamer cliche and I don't want it to become a thing where someone subscribes or donates and I just offhandedly say thanks. So I try to say something, like, unique and/or personal, and I kind of stumble over my words and it just comes out awkward.

Obviously this is something I need to get a handle on soon.

Personally, being thanked for following comes off as weird, but I can see that others might be offended if they're not thanked?

What a couple of streamers did do when I followed them was actually engage with me, which I found a lot nicer than a generic "thank you", but that might be easier since my username was my location in it so it gives them a jumping off point.

Might be harder when streaming a game like Dark Souls where you have to pay attention all the time though.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Most likely if I do more streaming it’ll be just be chill loungey type games which will probably mean 0 people watching me tell them why whatever game is better than whatever is popular that month

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

ugh there's too many bad ones!

If I had to play Masters of Teras Kasi again I would break shit

• Options
    DS3 is a fantastic game to build an audience with, because people love watching other people fail in that game, hoo boy do they

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    You can stream literally anything if you're charismatic enough to do it. Obviously finding a good niche or game that is the right kind of popularity is good but if you want to be a successful streamer just aim to stream things you enjoy. And/or totally sell out or something I dunno I'm not a famous streamer.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    The internet has conditioned me so I actually kind of like Never Gonna Give You Up now

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Also Fuzzy I don't think you can BE more wrong about my boy chandler. You must tailor pants in prison.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

You would probably break shit starting somewhere in the Super Star Wars series.

Luckily, I heard angry nerds are a popular category.

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited January 2018

I lost my save when a hd died a few months ago so while I was on vacation I spent like half a day getting all the flight-trial badges in the original X-Wing again. Here is what it takes to get the badge for one ship (of the 4 available):
    edit: not my vid
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aQlDMGb6Nk

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular

But you also get Jedi Outcast out of the deal

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    Kamiro wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Kamiro wrote: »
    I'm also thoroughly enjoying your attempts at making a land base.

IT'S SO ANNOYING

BASEBUILDING IS SO JANKY

I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY'RE RELEASING THIS MONTH WITH SUCH JANKY BASEBUILDING

What can you even do in a base anyway? Get out there and look at cool fish! Build a bigger submarine!

And yeah I don't think you're supposed to build one on land.

is this subnautica?

yes

Cool. Is he playing it in VR? That is some pretty intense shit.

I'm not, but it's pretty intense in non-VR for me too. I played it in VR and it was too much for me. I could probably do it better now, but logistically it's annoying and also you can't see my expressions because of the giant headset I'm wearing, so I think this is better for streaming anyway.

Yeah, I can only handle like 20 mins in Subnautica VR at a time. I don't often get VR-sick but that game gets to me after a while.

Oh, it's not that, I never get VR sick (although my eyes did get strained in Subnautica)

When I say it was too much for me, I mean I have a really bad fear of deep water.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options

I unironically love that game. You can play as Mara Jade! How awesome is that? So awesome.

I also liked Ehrgeiz a lot.

My fighting game tastes are not great I guess.

• Options
    I loved Super Star Wars. I don't remember it being that hard. I know it's considered hard. I'd probably think it was hard now, but back in the day I don't recall that being the case.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    also the award for best Vorta goes to Keevan right?

fite me

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Athenor wrote: »
    Making someone self-conscious about laughing is one of the cruelest things you can do to them, imo, and I always try to shut it down hard when I see it.

I was awarded the "Best Laugh" award at my High School graduation awards. I hated getting that award.

I got the same award as a quasi-joke from my previous job. I was... better with it.

Seriously, when you have a laugh that you can hear all the way across the building, you either live with it or hate yourself. I've done both, don't recommend.

(Recently someone said my laugh is comparable to Neil Degrasse Tyson.)

I got an award for "Best Attitude and Smile" during my last summer of sailing lessons.

Which pissed me off, because I had the shittiest summer of them riding my ass because they were convinced I was some sort of sailing savant and they just kept pushing me harder and harder.

And yeah I'd go out there and sail the fuck out of that Laser like few ever had and I'd do everything they wanted me to do better than they wanted me to do it, but I know for damn certain I wasn't smiling.

So I'm pretty sure they gave me that award ironically and it bothers me to this day. >_>

Lasers are so fucking fun though.

I may be way too fat to be on one now though.

Our club had Optimists (of course), Lasers, and CL 16s. Optis were for the young kids to practice up mostly, the CLs were for the older students to help instruct some of the younger students, but when you got to the point where you could just go out on a Laser and you had no responsibilities except going as fast as possible ...

It was pretty darn sweet. :D

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular

well yeah

Right.

And let's say they did that. What purpose would world content serve in such a game?

Would there be any reason to spend any time in the overworld at all?

Sure, just make the overworld content actually fun and interesting on its own merits.

The overworld in Destiny 2 is pointless. There might as well just be nodes for instanced activities that you select. All world activities are trivially easy, and if you do die, you respawn in 5 seconds. There is no fail state or penalty for failure. That's not good!

If your game has no levels and no grind, and "progression" isn't really a meaningful concept outside of player skill development (and maaaaybe, maybe, gear that gives you more options rather than simply inflating numbers), maybe make missions that take place in that world that are challenging and demanding and have fail states. Make some areas of the overworld hostile and challenging just to live in and get through. Put a variety of events that happen into the game, random or scripted or any combination thereof, that make the overworld more exciting and less predictable. Etc etc.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I still haven't mentally recovered from my sister always beating me button mashing in Teras Kasi

• Options
    This must have been the shit back in the day:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIG4pi0MedY

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    You were a nude Tauren dancing on mailboxes for tips?

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    whoooo campus closed tomorrow.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »

again, this is literally how i made affiliate

huh, interesting. I am surprised people like that.

To me DS3 is an immersive and atmospheric game that I wouldn't want to ruin by including other people in my playing experience, so I probably wouldn't stream it, were I to stream. I also wouldn't want other people to see how bad I was.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I loved Super Star Wars. I don't remember it being that hard. I know it's considered hard. I'd probably think it was hard now, but back in the day I don't recall that being the case.

I mentioned the other night that I beat super ESB and people said I was lying and i was like “...huh?”

Neco on
  • Options
    I had a star wars game on my game gear and could not get past the sandcrawler level ever.

• Options

Super ROTJ is the one that has a battletoads-esc level at the end (flying out of the exploding death star) that is waaay too long and requires the player to just memorize everything

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    We have state and federal folks in my building.

The state is closed tomorrow..at least until 10am.

But we are expected to be in at our regular times.

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular

MoTK was amazing! IT HAD MARA JADE!

FUCK YOU

BUT YOU SHOULD PLAY THE ENTIRE SUPER STAR WARS SERIES FOR SNES
    THEY WERE AWESOME

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I think an overworld that is just a place where you grind monotonous, tedious, non-challenging, unfailable activities to make slow progress is... it's worse than nothing. It's actively negative and encourages compulsive, time-wasting behaviour.

• Options
    Mortious wrote: »
    I still feel self-conscious thanking people for follows and donations and subs and stuff. Not because I don't legit appreciate it, but because it's such a streamer cliche and I don't want it to become a thing where someone subscribes or donates and I just offhandedly say thanks. So I try to say something, like, unique and/or personal, and I kind of stumble over my words and it just comes out awkward.

Obviously this is something I need to get a handle on soon.

Personally, being thanked for following comes off as weird, but I can see that others might be offended if they're not thanked?

What a couple of streamers did do when I followed them was actually engage with me, which I found a lot nicer than a generic "thank you", but that might be easier since my username was my location in it so it gives them a jumping off point.

Might be harder when streaming a game like Dark Souls where you have to pay attention all the time though.

Yeah, for follows I pretty much just say "oh, thanks for the follow [name]"

I feel like I need to do more for subs and donations though. @RonaldoTheGypsy subbed for the second month last night and I just tripped over my words a bunch trying to say something nice.

It is not usually hard for me to be genuine, but I think my problem is that a lot of the genuine stuff I would normally say just sounds like what every streamer says. So then I try to say something to show that I really mean it, which is what trips me up because it's not what I naturally want to say.

I should just say whatever comes naturally I guess and hope my sincerity comes across. I do really appreciate it when people sub and donate, especially when they're friends from the forum.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    I think an overworld that is just a place where you grind monotonous, tedious, non-challenging, unfailable activities to make slow progress is... it's worse than nothing. It's actively negative and encourages compulsive, time-wasting behaviour.

Progress Quest was pretty accurate to that era of MMOs.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    My mom cooked a Libyan dish and I went to get the leftovers. It's called imbakbaka, and I should learn to cook it myself since it's a relatively simple pasta dish.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    This must have been the shit back in the day:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIG4pi0MedY

if you can find a machine where the controller is in good condition that game is The Shit today

It is genuinely fun to play.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Really Ross was the worst Friend, Ross and Phoebe. Just two awful friends who should die alone.
    I will always love Phoebe. But man do I hate Chandler. Also the casual homophobia is jarring looking back twenty years.

How can you hate chandler? And yeah anytime I'm watching something from that time period the gay jokes are always extremely blunt and bad.

The only joke I can remember from that show was when they were talking about sharing a bar of soap and Joey says "Think about the last thing I wash and the first thing you wash."

P good.

that is a good one

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    What's up with the premise for Saving Private Ryan? If a soldier's brothers died would they really (painstakingly) remove that soldier from service so that not every brother died?

I have to imagine that it happened to a lot of families in the war.

PSN: Honkalot
This discussion has been closed.