As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Here [chat] the Mummies

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    I think an overworld that is just a place where you grind monotonous, tedious, non-challenging, unfailable activities to make slow progress is... it's worse than nothing. It's actively negative and encourages compulsive, time-wasting behaviour.

Progress Quest was pretty accurate to that era of MMOs.

it's still true of many single-player and MMOish games like Destiny 2.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Holy heck. Progress Quest is 16 years old.

Couscous on
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    i think the first super star wars was kind of difficult but Empire and Return was super easy (except for flying the Falcon at the end of it)

TTODewback on
    Bless your heart.
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    Neco wrote: »
    Streaming makes me too self conscious but also if I ever tried it again I dunno what I would actually play on it that would be entertaining to watch
    Is there a niche for bad gaming? Not saying you are bad. This just reminded me to ask y’all. Like I’m gonna stream DS3 where I die and don’t progress for hours.

I've considered that, but I don't know that people would actually find it entertaining for me to like, try the same DS3 area for an hour and die to the same couple of non-boss enemies over and over again? Seems like it would be frustrating rather than fun.

I think I'd be best off streaming league; when my husband's around, I usually keep up a running commentary when I play and call it 'streaming', and he thinks it's pretty entertaining, but also he is pretty biased so it's not at all clear if it would be generally interesting.

again, this is literally how i made affiliate

huh, interesting. I am surprised people like that.

To me DS3 is an immersive and atmospheric game that I wouldn't want to ruin by including other people in my playing experience, so I probably wouldn't stream it, were I to stream. I also wouldn't want other people to see how bad I was.

See, it's the opposite for me. Dark Souls and Subnautica are both games I would never play if I weren't streaming them. In Dark Souls I get really frustrated, and if I don't have to cool myself off a little bit because people are watching, it just feeds on itself and I'd never beat anything. Similarly, I'd never force myself into the deep waters in Subnautica if people weren't watching me.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Honk wrote: »
    What's up with the premise for Saving Private Ryan? If a soldier's brothers died would they really (painstakingly) remove that soldier from service so that not every brother died?

I have to imagine that it happened to a lot of families in the war.

it was that all three of his brothers had died

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    i think the first super star wars was kind of difficult but Empire and Return was super easy (except for flying the Falcon at the end of it)

I wouldn't say super but at least comparatively, that's what I remember

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    What's up with the premise for Saving Private Ryan? If a soldier's brothers died would they really (painstakingly) remove that soldier from service so that not every brother died?

The rescue part was written up, but I would imagine they'd do within reason what was necessary, since killing a families entire lineage would've been bad press in an era of War Bonds.

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Tie Fighter gave me nightmares from when the antagonist tries to hyperspace away in a cloaked corvette.
    The screaaammmm

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Mara Jade was so cool

1b8c8cfcf1dd503f2005fad2c0bed4a0--mara-jade-girls.jpg

SO COOL

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    RedTide wrote: »
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Athenor wrote: »
    Making someone self-conscious about laughing is one of the cruelest things you can do to them, imo, and I always try to shut it down hard when I see it.

I was awarded the "Best Laugh" award at my High School graduation awards. I hated getting that award.

I got the same award as a quasi-joke from my previous job. I was... better with it.

Seriously, when you have a laugh that you can hear all the way across the building, you either live with it or hate yourself. I've done both, don't recommend.

(Recently someone said my laugh is comparable to Neil Degrasse Tyson.)

I got an award for "Best Attitude and Smile" during my last summer of sailing lessons.

Which pissed me off, because I had the shittiest summer of them riding my ass because they were convinced I was some sort of sailing savant and they just kept pushing me harder and harder.

And yeah I'd go out there and sail the fuck out of that Laser like few ever had and I'd do everything they wanted me to do better than they wanted me to do it, but I know for damn certain I wasn't smiling.

So I'm pretty sure they gave me that award ironically and it bothers me to this day. >_>

Lasers are so fucking fun though.

I may be way too fat to be on one now though.

Our club had Optimists (of course), Lasers, and CL 16s. Optis were for the young kids to practice up mostly, the CLs were for the older students to help instruct some of the younger students, but when you got to the point where you could just go out on a Laser and you had no responsibilities except going as fast as possible ...

It was pretty darn sweet. :D

I missed Opti's entirely. I joined the club in its second year and all we had were a fleet of haulers and a couple Blue Jays that we rotated into. The next year we added another Jay and a Sunfish and we split off the older/returning kids and the real youngins into the haulers. The year after that they bought a bunch of Optimists for the little kids and switched us over to the lasers after someone donated a couple of them.

Flipping a Blue Jay was hysterical until you had to flip it back over and bail it out.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options

yes, this is why only children are not allowed to serve in the army at all

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Streaming makes me too self conscious but also if I ever tried it again I dunno what I would actually play on it that would be entertaining to watch
    Is there a niche for bad gaming? Not saying you are bad. This just reminded me to ask y’all. Like I’m gonna stream DS3 where I die and don’t progress for hours.

I've considered that, but I don't know that people would actually find it entertaining for me to like, try the same DS3 area for an hour and die to the same couple of non-boss enemies over and over again? Seems like it would be frustrating rather than fun.

I think I'd be best off streaming league; when my husband's around, I usually keep up a running commentary when I play and call it 'streaming', and he thinks it's pretty entertaining, but also he is pretty biased so it's not at all clear if it would be generally interesting.

To me DS3 is an immersive and atmospheric game that I wouldn't want to ruin by including other people in my playing experience, so I probably wouldn't stream it, were I to stream. I also wouldn't want other people to see how bad I was.

See, it's the opposite for me. Dark Souls and Subnautica are both games I would never play if I weren't streaming them. In Dark Souls I get really frustrated, and if I don't have to cool myself off a little bit because people are watching, it just feeds on itself and I'd never beat anything. Similarly, I'd never force myself into the deep waters in Subnautica if people weren't watching me.

Hmm, I wonder how I would cope with that. It seems fun to stream--interacting with people via text is nice, and having viewers seems narcissistically satisfying. But videogames are what I do for stress relief and solitary recharging time; if I turned that into an obligation in any way, I wonder if I would be overall unhappier, even though I'd be getting the additional fun/social element from streaming. Might be worth trying at some point to see how it feels.

credeiki on
    Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    I loved Super Star Wars. I don't remember it being that hard. I know it's considered hard. I'd probably think it was hard now, but back in the day I don't recall that being the case.

It had its parts that were hard, but the hard star wars game was freaking nintendo star wars. That shit was hard.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    mara jade needs to make a cameo in one of the new star wars movies. no name given. you just see a teenage redhead pick up a lightsaber or something thats laying around and all the nerds are like OH SHHITTTTT but everyone else doesnt realize it has any significance what so ever

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Kamiro wrote: »

Still waiting.

Zing, got 'em.

"deep" is all relative, Kamiro

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

Wait seriously?

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    mara jade needs to make a cameo in one of the new star wars movies. no name given. you just see a teenage redhead pick up a lightsaber or something thats laying around and all the nerds are like OH SHHITTTTT but everyone else doesnt realize it has any significance what so ever

I really wanted someone in Rogue One to be named Kyle or Katarn but they didn't do that either. :(

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular

let the eu die

kill it if you have to

• Options
    I loved Super Star Wars. I don't remember it being that hard. I know it's considered hard. I'd probably think it was hard now, but back in the day I don't recall that being the case.

Super ROTJ is the one that has a battletoads-esc level at the end (flying out of the exploding death star) that is waaay too long and requires the player to just memorize everything

I did that one time completely blind, and then on subsequent playthroughs could not get it done again.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    oh shit that reminds me
    i was a little drunk the other day and dude brings in a briefcase. and it has a SNES classic and TV built into it
    and plugs it in
    and he let me play DKC
    and i started crying
    oh my god i am so happy

TTODewback on
    Bless your heart.
  • Options

Hmm, I wonder how I would cope with that. It seems fun to stream--interacting with people via text is nice, and having viewers seems narcissistically satisfying. But videogames are what I do for stress relief and solitary recharging time; if I turned that into an obligation in any way, I wonder if I would be overall unhappier, even though I'd be getting the additional fun/social element from streaming. Might be worth trying at some point to see how it feels.

I still play some videogames for that, they're just not games I stream.

I view my streaming as more like socializing time I guess? Like I'd put it in the same category as going out with friends or having a board game night or something.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options

let the eu die

kill it if you have to

That's the dark side talking. Save what's still worthwhile!

• Options
    and I was telling him all about the neat little tricks i discovered as a kid like if you place a banana on super mario kart in a certain spot it would break the AI of whoever hit it.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular

let the eu die

kill it if you have to

everything I need to know about the EU

"Luuke Skywalker" (sic)

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular

let the eu die

kill it if you have to
    you know theres a white board at Disney somewhere thats like
    2025: Yuuzan Vong????

• Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »

let the eu die

kill it if you have to

mara is not worthwhile...

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Playing video games with @Zampanov is the best for relaxing because he's the chillest dude ever.

The only exception is when I can't beat his goddamn Guile in Street Fighter.

Although I think I have found SFV to be much less frustrating than SFIV for whatever reason.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options

Wait seriously?

yup, it's in the constitution

• Options
    spiderman did a nod to miles morales
    star wars should do a nod to mara jade, star wars waifu #1

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I was always very proud of having the full Emperor's Hand tattoo in TIE fighter. That shit was tough.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular

let the eu die

kill it if you have to

Please no

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

let the eu die

kill it if you have to

*twists and curls into a ball*

• Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »

let the eu die

kill it if you have to

mara is not worthwhile...

You're not worthwhile!

• Options
    Playing video games with @Zampanov is the best for relaxing because he's the chillest dude ever.

The only exception is when I can't beat his goddamn Guile in Street Fighter.

Although I think I have found SFV to be much less frustrating than SFIV for whatever reason.

we can crossplay in SFV also! i have started getting back into it

my CFN is tarviche

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    I was actually reading the wiki for the Yuzan Vong arc and it is indecipherable. Teenage me ate it up though.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    I was always more of a Corran Horn man myself but you do you

I loved the EU as a kid..it's over..let it RIP in pepperoni

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I'm glad Disney came around on the EU, calling it "Star Wars Legends" now. Hypothetically that means people can keep iterating on it as an alternate SW setting to the movies.

Which means there's still hope for a Dark Forces remake.

• Options
    Ooooh shit and Sea of Thieves closed beta starts next week. I am in that and the NDA is up so I'll be streaming the fuck outta some pirate action.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

Wait seriously?

yup, it's in the constitution

EM are you lying

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    I was actually reading the wiki for the Yuzan Vong arc and it is indecipherable. Teenage me ate it up though.

I think i was already nearing college when that came out.
    I loved the old Tales of [Whatever] books and the han solo trilogy and the thrawn and such

Bless your heart.
This discussion has been closed.