As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

and the name of the thread is [POD CATS]

19495969798100»

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    admanb wrote: »
    What are your overall thoughts on The Sprawl? As a system that doesn't quite click for me (despite pretty much every indicator that it should click for me), I'm always interested in hearing how other people feel about it.

I really like The Sprawl for one-shots and short campaigns, but I would have a tough time running a full campaign for it. It has a very restrictive structure that works well for the genre it's emulating but allows very little flexibility. It also has a very disposable approach towards PCs, which again works for the theme but is rough in the context of a PbtA RPG.

Yeah, this covers a lot of my feelings as well. My biggest complaint is that it doesn't feel punk enough, which is a direct result of its restrictive structure. I can understand why that structure is in place, but I can't help but feel that any character I tried to create for the game would lash out at the structure of the game as much as they were lashing out at the fictional structures in the game itself, which... doesn't make for a good character, essentially.

To me it's the perfect emulation of first wave Gibson Sprawl/Bridge trilogy cyberpunk, in which the protagonists are largely people who suddenly found themselves in a terrible situation and are just doing what they can to avoid dying.

Yeah, but that only works for me for like, one or two stories. Which... I think is some of where you're coming from too, if you prefer it for one-shot sort of things. But at a certain point, the character who is constantly hustling for a new job standing a razor's edge away from oblivion just stops feeling fun or interesting to me. It isn't necessarily an unrealistic portrayal of people - that sort of person absolutely exists - but it isn't really what I want out of a game. And The Sprawl really feels like it locks me into that hustle with its gameplay cycle.

I don't recall that we've ever talked about RPG stuff, so I'm curious what kind of characters you find attractive

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    What are your overall thoughts on The Sprawl? As a system that doesn't quite click for me (despite pretty much every indicator that it should click for me), I'm always interested in hearing how other people feel about it.

I really like The Sprawl for one-shots and short campaigns, but I would have a tough time running a full campaign for it. It has a very restrictive structure that works well for the genre it's emulating but allows very little flexibility. It also has a very disposable approach towards PCs, which again works for the theme but is rough in the context of a PbtA RPG.

Yeah, this covers a lot of my feelings as well. My biggest complaint is that it doesn't feel punk enough, which is a direct result of its restrictive structure. I can understand why that structure is in place, but I can't help but feel that any character I tried to create for the game would lash out at the structure of the game as much as they were lashing out at the fictional structures in the game itself, which... doesn't make for a good character, essentially.

To me it's the perfect emulation of first wave Gibson Sprawl/Bridge trilogy cyberpunk, in which the protagonists are largely people who suddenly found themselves in a terrible situation and are just doing what they can to avoid dying.

Yeah, but that only works for me for like, one or two stories. Which... I think is some of where you're coming from too, if you prefer it for one-shot sort of things. But at a certain point, the character who is constantly hustling for a new job standing a razor's edge away from oblivion just stops feeling fun or interesting to me. It isn't necessarily an unrealistic portrayal of people - that sort of person absolutely exists - but it isn't really what I want out of a game. And The Sprawl really feels like it locks me into that hustle with its gameplay cycle.

I don't recall that we've ever talked about RPG stuff, so I'm curious what kind of characters you find attractive

Variations on Odysseus, essentially.

It's actually a way more complicated answer than that, but I think that sums it up pretty dang well.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Sexy ones.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Not that the question was even addressed at me the characters I like to play are the ones that I think best interface with the themes and mechanics of the setting. I am not a fan of the “oh
    I’m a dwarf barbarian but I hate beer and love elves because of backstory” type of character, I don’t like playing exceptions. I like playing everymen.

For example in my l5r game everyone made “samurai but I actually like peasants” or “samurai but I’m naive and positive” and I made a samurai ass samurai who says fuck anyone that tries to break the social order, knows the ins and outs of the social order, knows when to follow and when to break those rules, how honor is a shield and how honor is a trap, etc.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    If I played D&D or something again I'm actually not sure what kinda character I would play

I've only ever really played one character, who was a Bernard Black inspired Warlock in D&D 4E. But that was years ago.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular

Absolutely.

I'm sure there's a Blades in the Dark hack in the pipeline that implements a more flexible style of classic-ass cyberpunk game, which is probably where I'd go for that kind of campaign. Blades is sooo flexible and sooo suitable to long-term games.

• Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    I'm rather sad cause I played a character in a one off D&D game and fell in love with them and now have nowhere to play them.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Ms Dapper wrote: »
    I'm rather sad cause I played a character in a one off D&D game and fell in love with them and now have nowhere to play them.

I have a few of these.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

I have a few of these.

They're a cool bird person who drinks a lot, is mute and kicks people's asses with a drunken fist style.

Also a member of fantasy anti-fa.

Their name is Clock

2ohWien.png
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    now i have to check, is their name Clock, or is their name (bird imitating the sound of a clock)

liEt3nH.png
    edited January 2018
    It is the sound of a bird imitating the sound of a clock

The party had to just come up with a name for them.

Ms Dapper on
    2ohWien.png
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    yesssss

liEt3nH.png
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Over on G+T, someone wrote a big story involving forumers and some sort of weird Roman bunny god apocalypse that ended with me basically enslaving humanity for our leporine overlords before being sacrificed (as all humans were)

A little while later, this person wrote a different story about a crew of people stuck in a spaceship in the future, or something.

I had the silly idea to make both characters essentially the same guy, or maybe reincarnation of the same guy.

Anyway, I finally listened to the Beastcast Holiday RPG episode and while I thought it was amusing enough, I sorta felt like something was missing. There were dicerolls and whatnot and it wasn't just "X happens because it's a good story moment" but it still felt kinda abstract. I am under the impression Friends at the Table is even looser than this?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular

I have a few of these.

RIP my gunslinging frog

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Look, if you all need somewhere to RP your fursonas, I can recommend many places.

uyvfOQy.png
This discussion has been closed.