As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Here [chat] the Mummies

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Bitcoin is dumb and I would give less of a shit if it weren't for the staggering logistics that require it to operate. The amount of power needed for each transaction blows me away and I can't believe that shit hasn't caused the UN to jump on that shit with a giant "NOPE."

• Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Is bitcoin mining the sort of thing that would be affected by the Meltdown fix?

vRyue2p.png
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    I'd love that

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Nah its more hit by all the beanie babies and tulip bulbs.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

...what?

vRyue2p.png
  • mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    Every year I think “wow, there’s no way they can top this Punch-Out speedrun” and every year I am thrilled to find out how pathetically wrong I am.

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular

Wait someone tried to make beanie babies currency

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
  • SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular

I don't think so

People use GPUs or dedicated ASIC rigs

Meltdown slowed CPUs

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Oh, that reminds me, I should check out that AGDQ DS3 run.
    @visiblehowl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yb2zHjDIj7E

BTW she fights Pontiff blindfolded in a bonus segment at the end.

Man its weird most of these clips use the dumb promo parts as the screen cap.

Someone is basically taking the VODs and uploading them as fast as they can. They'll get things cleaned up as they go.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch

...what?

Bit coin's worth was entirely inflated by people saying it was worth something. I was making a joke about two previous similar fads.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net

...what?

Bit coin's worth was entirely inflated by people saying it was worth something. I was making a joke about two previous similar fads.

....tulip bulbs?

vRyue2p.png
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

...what?

Preacher I'm gonna have to give you a 2/10 for reaching just a tad too far. Here is a beanie baby as a consolation prize.

• Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular

...what?

....tulip bulbs?

It was a big thing a long time ago. No for real.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

...what?

....tulip bulbs?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulip_mania

...what?

....tulip bulbs?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulip_mania

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    i launched sfv ae to try ryu in training mode and i did a cr.mk and saw the range on it and then i alt-f4'd uninstalled threw my computer out the window

yeah

yeah

I ran a Google search on "tulip bulbs" and got a wiki article about a Dutch thing called "Tulip Mania"? Probably not as cool as Sonic.

• RedTideRedTide Registered User regular

...what?

....tulip bulbs?

Basically the first of these fads that we have a good documentation of. A fad in breeding tulips crashing literally sent shockwaves through the whole Western economy

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
    i see...

vRyue2p.png
    Wow this Tulip Mania thing is actually really cool. I'm sending this idea over to the Extra Credits people to cover it for Extra History. Their South Seas Bubble series was fascinating as shit.

Look up onion futures too Henroid

• RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    I want to meet the real life Milo Minderbender.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Okay, well

Ladyfriend is busy tonight and now my room is immaculate because I was so bored I cleaned

So now I think I'll mosey on down to the ol' familiar coffee shop and have myself a good sit'n'sip

porp is out for book club you should come over and help me charge my crystal

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    bois we used to get fucked up on tulips i tell you what

Bless your heart.
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    people in real life made millions and millions of dollars from bitcoin though, and they're not gonna lose it, and they're looked at as geniuses so they'll also always have good jobs

I'll hate them along with you but they did it

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    How are those Venezuelan Petro coins doing? They're coming out soon, right?
    The petro will be pre-mined, meaning that unlike bitcoin, for example, new tokens cannot be created.

That sounds unusual.

tyrannus wrote: »
    Look up onion futures too Henroid
    If it's a bubble and had a burst I will be all over that. I fucking love financial bubbles and their bursting, especially because in every situation the writing is on the wall early enough to prevent it but people just go "nah."

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    How... how did people escape college before learning about Tulip Mania? This was common knowledge among my cohort of friends (some of whom haven't graduated high school!) by, like, 10th grade.

Maybe this is why there are so many people of all ages jumping on board the Bitcoin bubble. They don't remember the Housing bubble or the dotcom bubble or Beanie Babies or fucking Tulips... Those who don't learn history are doomed to repeat it, and all that.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    edited January 2018
    Okay, well

Ladyfriend is busy tonight and now my room is immaculate because I was so bored I cleaned

So now I think I'll mosey on down to the ol' familiar coffee shop and have myself a good sit'n'sip

I want u in Chicago so we can be fat

Pizza

Or birthday Fogo

tyrannus on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kipper_und_Wipper
    Kipper und Wipper (German: Kipper- und Wipperzeit, literally "Tipper and See-saw time") is the name given to a financial crisis during the start of the Thirty Years' War (1618–48).[1] Starting around 1621, city-states in the Holy Roman Empire began to heavily debase currency in order to raise revenue for the Thirty Years' War,[2] as effective taxation did not exist.

The name refers to the use of tipping scales to identify not-yet-debased coins, which were then taken out of circulation, melted, mixed with baser metals such as lead, copper or tin, and re-issued. Often the states did not debase their own currency, but instead manufactured low-value imitations of coins from other territories and then spent them in yet other territories as far as possible from their own lands, hoping that the resulting damage would then occur to the economy of those other regions rather than their own. This worked for a while; but after a time, the general public caught on to the manipulation, resulting in pamphlets denouncing the practice, local riots and the refusal of soldiers and mercenaries to fight unless paid in real, non-debased money. Also the states began to get back their own debased coins in taxes and customs fees. Due to these problems the practice largely stopped around 1623; however, the damage done was so large that it created financial disarray in almost all the city-states in the area. The same thing re-occurred on a smaller scale near the end of the century and again during the middle of the 18th century; however, the debasement spread from Germany to Austria, Hungary, Bohemia, and Poland.
    This is hilarious.

• P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    i launched sfv ae to try ryu in training mode and i did a cr.mk and saw the range on it and then i alt-f4'd uninstalled threw my computer out the window

yeah

yeah
    wait no i forgot they gave him donkey kick
    oh each strength of donkey kick does less damage and the same stun as equivalent strength tatsu
    and provides a worse knockdown
    and is more punishable on block
    and has less range

at least ex donkey kick gives you a juggle midscreen!
    (wall bounce juggle doesn't work at the corner because ???)
    (and I think you only ever juggle with hp dp and nothing else because why would there be any thought or interesting reset options)

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    How... how did people escape college before learning about Tulip Mania? This was common knowledge among my cohort of friends (some of whom haven't graduated high school!) by, like, 10th grade.

Maybe this is why there are so many people of all ages jumping on board the Bitcoin bubble. They don't remember the Housing bubble or the dotcom bubble or Beanie Babies or fucking Tulips... Those who don't learn history are doomed to repeat it, and all that.

Not everyone is uhh you hahnsoo.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Couscous wrote: »
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kipper_und_Wipper
    Kipper und Wipper (German: Kipper- und Wipperzeit, literally "Tipper and See-saw time") is the name given to a financial crisis during the start of the Thirty Years' War (1618–48).[1] Starting around 1621, city-states in the Holy Roman Empire began to heavily debase currency in order to raise revenue for the Thirty Years' War,[2] as effective taxation did not exist.

The name refers to the use of tipping scales to identify not-yet-debased coins, which were then taken out of circulation, melted, mixed with baser metals such as lead, copper or tin, and re-issued. Often the states did not debase their own currency, but instead manufactured low-value imitations of coins from other territories and then spent them in yet other territories as far as possible from their own lands, hoping that the resulting damage would then occur to the economy of those other regions rather than their own. This worked for a while; but after a time, the general public caught on to the manipulation, resulting in pamphlets denouncing the practice, local riots and the refusal of soldiers and mercenaries to fight unless paid in real, non-debased money. Also the states began to get back their own debased coins in taxes and customs fees. Due to these problems the practice largely stopped around 1623; however, the damage done was so large that it created financial disarray in almost all the city-states in the area. The same thing re-occurred on a smaller scale near the end of the century and again during the middle of the 18th century; however, the debasement spread from Germany to Austria, Hungary, Bohemia, and Poland.
    This is hilarious.
    Holy shit.

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Wife finished her vip stuff so she came out and let me run to get a coffee

10/10 would wife again

bloodyroarxx on
    My Western European history is pretty weak, actually. A lot of that stuff just didn't stick with me. I did a lot of "memorize just for the test" in those courses.

vRyue2p.png

Education in the USA is pretty scattered. A lot of it is focused on trying to promote the USA and how awesome it is.

• JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Wow this Tulip Mania thing is actually really cool. I'm sending this idea over to the Extra Credits people to cover it for Extra History. Their South Seas Bubble series was fascinating as shit.

I thought they had one on that already.

Apparently the ones that sold for the most weren't just regular tulips of rare color. They were actually diseased, which caused a unique look. They died really quickly though.

I read a good book about the history of financial crises. They even talked about the etymology of bubble. It isn't just the idea of massive expansion, although that is probably why it stuck around as a word. It's meaning meant something more like to cheat someone else by tricking them before it was used in financial terms.

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
    It still blows me away that fucking tulips were given value greater than land at some point.

Like, I get it was the 1600s but all you need is a really bad couple of seasons and you're shit out of luck.

Up here there's a place called Apple Hill, which is home to a bunch of orchards, wineries, and the like. It's entire economy is essentially based on apple production.

But about 100 years ago or so it used to be the number one place for pear production. Until a disease wiped out all the pear orchards and everyone lost their ass on it. So they switched to apples.

edited January 2018

They remember those more recent bubbles, they just fall into the old "but this time it will be different" trap

Havelock2.0 on
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    tyrannus wrote: »
    Okay, well

I want u in Chicago so we can be fat

Pizza

Or birthday Fogo

If I didn't have these kids to watch I'd be there for sure

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
This discussion has been closed.