As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Painting Miniatures] vs the unending tide of grey plastic

• Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    I don’t know if it’s just the sculpts or the great paint job but those look really close to the actors.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    It's really the sculpts. Even with just primer on them you can clearly make out which hobbit is which. It's really incredible.

I'm very glad I have the metal originals from 2001. When they switched to resin they exchanged several sculpts (Gimli, Frodo, Sam, Legolas, Aragorn) for sculpts from other sets in the line I would assume because they took better to resin molds or the metal molds were shot. The plastic replacements that came later (the only set you can get currently) is abysmal by comparison.

The Perry brothers do amazing work, but they could only do so much with plastic at the time.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    So I'd been humming and hawwing over whether I should try attaching some grass scruff I got from a kit onto my Cthluhu once I've painted him to kinda look like seaweed. But I had a MUCH better idea after watching some tutorials.

UHU glue, the German made kind in a tube. It is thick, it is gooey and clear and mixes very well with paint. Work some green in there, apply to Cthluhu, now he's all slimy! :D The stuff looks to be great for slobber/slime/blood and might be usable to make puddles on a base even.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    So, looking for mini suggestions for D&D.
    Planning on rolling up a Death domain cleric inspired by the Knights of Morr from Warhammer. So I'm looking for a human(oid) mini with heavy armor and a shield. The thing is most armored dudes that come up have like crazy intricate armor, while I'm looking for very minimal ornamentation.

I picked up the Age of Sigmar getting started magazine that came with a Storm Cast in it, I planned to grab an xacto knife and shave down the lightning and hammer on the shield and smooth off the shoulder ornamentation, trim off the halo, that kind of thing. The problem is this mini is huge when compared to the others I've done, it's got a much larger base and just looks a bit out of scale for the game.

Not really tied to any particular weapon (though since they'll be playing with some undead, I'm thinking blunt instrument). I'm planning on Strength not being the dump stat. Just looking for a big shield, and plain looking armor. I'm not particularly tied to a male character, but most female characters wearing "armor" tend to have their own design issues that just aren't going to play well with my idea of a heavily armored tank standing in front of a desecrated graveyard holding a horde of zombies in.

Potential Game of Thrones spoiler:
    Something along the lines of what Dickon was wearing at the Gold Road battle in GoT, though preferably with a full helmet
    dfpg1uor4qyv.jpg

And less imminent dragon fire.

• Options
    Gryphon!

Only thing I'm gonna go back and mess with is getting rid of the feathers I painted white vertically down the wings. Didn't turn out how I expected. That'd look better if you did like, alternating colors feather to feather.

HjKKKTh.png
    V2BcGjC.png

• Options
    @see317 I'm not sure if you've checked them, but Reaper might have what you're after: https://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/knight/latest/page1

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Reaper has everything.

• Options
    Arthil wrote: »
    see317 I'm not sure if you've checked them, but Reaper might have what you're after: https://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/knight/latest/page1
    I've checked through a bit, but get a bit overwhelmed with choices while poking around. Figured somebody might have a particular mini to recommend.

Guess I'll spend some time clicking through Reaper after work.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Reaper's site has a search tool that can be incredibly specific as all their figures are tagged with different descriptors.

Side note, does anyone know of any distributors of Coat D'Arms paints in the US? When my ancient pot of Citadel brown ink finally ends I want a replacement lined up (Coat D'Arms being literally the same stuff as the old Citadel line) and the Vallejo Game Ink brown is a little on the ruddy side.

• Options
    @see317 Well, there are -so- many cleric types in there. Let's see...

02330_w_1.jpg
    https://www.reapermini.com/FigureFinder#detail/02330

02681_G.jpg
    https://www.reapermini.com/FigureFinder#detail/02681

But honestly? Either try this, or this website in general. They got really nice stuff. Pewter though, mostly. https://www.darkswordminiatures.com/shop/index.php/female-warrior-cleric-with-weapon-head-options.html

• Options
    Crappy photo but Frodo done. 5/9 of the Fellowship complete!
    R8D3DRZm.jpg

• Options
    The nittiest of nitpicks, but weren’t hobbit feet supposed to be these thick leathery brown things that worked as shoes? I don’t remember ever seeing them up close in the movies, were they just normal looking callused feet?

• Options
    They're just hairy feet.

• Options
    Arthil wrote: »
    They're just hairy feet.

A quick google for "Hobbit feet" shows that they're pretty gnarly looking, but still better than you'd expect for a pair of feet that had never been inside shoes in a world where cobblestone roads are the latest and greatest innovation in paving.

Of course, now I have "Hobbit feet" in my Google search history.
    That ought to bring up some fun ads.

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    So tonight I painted my first model in something like 15 years... I was going to go all out and start with my new Lord of Contagion, who I desperately want to paint, but having not held a brush in a million years I figured I'd start small.

I present.... a Poxwalker

qcipxktjdjwy.jpg
    sxgha69me33o.jpg

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    papa Nurgle would be proud

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    Badablack wrote: »
    The nittiest of nitpicks, but weren’t hobbit feet supposed to be these thick leathery brown things that worked as shoes? I don’t remember ever seeing them up close in the movies, were they just normal looking callused feet?

You can't make it out from the shitty photo but they are actually are a slightly darker skintone than the rest of his skin and are shaded more with brown ink than the chestnut ink used on his hands and face.

• Options
    The local hobby shop has a pretty good set of GW paints, but doesn't have Dark Reaper blue... any suggestions on a comparible color? They stock army painter as well.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I am sick to death of building minis.
    Thankfully I've only got about two dozen left to clean up and assemble - mostly Imperium stuff.

I can't wait to start painting.

lbgvhr7u5nnr.jpg
    hepqd6256u22.jpg
    l460bxnb6d8f.jpg

Kneel on
    Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    So, will you be donating this to a museum or art gallery or something after? That thing is massive!

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    McGibs wrote: »
    So, will you be donating this to a museum or art gallery or something after? That thing is massive!

I don't think that I could bear to part with it after all this.

Hell I was considering entering it into a GD later this year but I need to kidnap someone with a car.

As it is I'm gonna have to build a custom shelf and a perspex case for it (otherwise it'll be a bitch to dust).

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    After all this, I feel like you should rent a delivery truck to get it to a GD contest. It's getting to warhammer world levels of crazy.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    McGibs wrote: »
    After all this, I feel like you should rent a delivery truck to get it to a GD contest. It's getting to warhammer world levels of crazy.

When I originally envisioned this, it was maybe 30cm square and featured perhaps two dozen minis, tops.

It's gotten a bit... out of hand.

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    I almost missed the Trygon tail on the left…

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    I almost missed the Trygon tail on the left…

Yeah that's just to mark where he is going. I had to tear up some of the polystyrene to make space for him.

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    Khraul wrote: »
    The local hobby shop has a pretty good set of GW paints, but doesn't have Dark Reaper blue... any suggestions on a comparible color? They stock army painter as well.

Good color choice. Dark Reaper is the unsung hero of the Citadel line.

Vallejo Model Color Dark Sea Blue is what I usually use in its place. There are also a few Reaper paints that are good matches but those are much harder to come by in stores but Vallejo is the closest, consistency-wise, to Citadel.

• Options
    I'm so glad my LGS is gonna be stocking Army Painter paints soon. Judging by the sheer size of the display it'll be the whole damned line.

$3 per bottle is easier to deal with than $6-7.50. That and their washes are better.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Getting ready for LVO, and one of the events is the Knight Joust, which should be dumb drunken robot fun. This fella needed a new lick of orange paint (and some rocket pods).

chaos_knight01.jpg

chaos_knight03.jpg

chaos_knight_turn.gif

For comparison, here's his old red livery:
    chaos-knight02.jpg

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options

Good color choice. Dark Reaper is the unsung hero of the Citadel line.

Vallejo Model Color Dark Sea Blue is what I usually use in its place. There are also a few Reaper paints that are good matches but those are much harder to come by in stores but Vallejo is the closest, consistency-wise, to Citadel.

I was just in the hobby shop and asked the owner if he could get Vallejo dark sea blue or if they would eventually stock dark Reaper... He looked at me like I grown horns.

Apparently they're supposed to have reaper.... He'll have one in for me on Friday :)

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    It's probably not something that gets asked by people a lot honestly, but so long as the shop carries the brand asking if they could order something is usually not difficult.

• Options
    Army Painter dark tone is similar to the old Badab Black, far more so than nuln oil. Their washes also don’t get that annoying cracked white residue. Dark tone and strong tone are my go-to washes for most work, though I do prefer the GW Gloss washes for things like shiny armor and fleshy monsters.

• Options
    Badablack wrote: »
    Army Painter dark tone is similar to the old Badab Black, far more so than nuln oil. Their washes also don’t get that annoying cracked white residue. Dark tone and strong tone are my go-to washes for most work, though I do prefer the GW Gloss washes for things like shiny armor and fleshy monsters.

Good to know... I looked at the army painter dark tone while I was in there, as they didn't have any Nuln oil in stock.

I'll grab the dark tone on friday. :biggrin:

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Another day, another mini(s):
    Vuzf4oem.jpg

Just Aragorn & Boromir to go!

Dr_Keenbean on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    My first time brave enough to mess about with some green stuff converting. I've turned a couple of Bloodreavers into Goliath Juves for Necromunda and I'm quite happy with the result.

RIJK4qC.jpg?1
    One painted, next to my Leader.

aOZS6bw.jpg?1
    One fresh from the de-iconing.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    With a kit like the Great Unclean One, would it be modular enough to use magnets and make swappable heads/hands if you want to run Rotigus or a generic Unclean one?

It'd be cool to be able to swap things around... I'm still on the basics of painting. Modding still feels a ways off.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    With a kit like the Great Unclean One, would it be modular enough to use magnets and make swappable heads/hands if you want to run Rotigus or a generic Unclean one?

It'd be cool to be able to swap things around... I'm still on the basics of painting. Modding still feels a ways off.

Look at the sprues, I think the hands are where the weapons attach and each have their own or similar so it might be able to be magnetized. Not sure about Rotigus he has a unique head and such.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Look at the sprues, I think the hands are where the weapons attach and each have their own or similar so it might be able to be magnetized. Not sure about Rotigus he has a unique head and such.

Hard to tell... Rotigus has a unique left arm, but the right arm looks like it just terminates at the wrist, so that'd be easy.

I can't begin to figure out what some of those sprue parts are :lol:

Now attach Fat slab #3

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I think I need some sort of back to basics intervention. The plague marines were zany with details and these guys are so flat by comparison it just seems hard to make anything stand out on them

u4ouxvubk5mn.png

• Options
    Depending on how things are split up, organic things can be a pain to magnetize well without leaving gaps or seams. Mechanical things are easy because there's usually obvious joints.

For the GUO, id focus on magnetizing the hands/weapons, and just pick whatver head you think is coolest. I can't imagine anyone being a dink about rottigus not having the right head, especially if you're just running the one model.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    I've been painting more Konflikt 47! I've done a whole bunch of boring army dudes, but recently I've done fun stuff like:

PCkHYkC.jpg?1
    Captain Steve Rogers America 'Slammer' Samuels! the pinnacle of the U.S. Super soldier Paragon Program and legally distinct from any marvel character because he has a Tesla Rifle and NO shield!

qpKjAT7.jpg?1
    The M8 Grizzly Assault Walker. A colossal disappointment in nearly every game, which is a shame because its my favourite K47 model and the model that got me interested in the game in the first place.

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
This discussion has been closed.