As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dead Cells] is a roguelite Castlevania

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Shiiiieeet another close call with The Assassin. This time I had 20 brutality stacks, 4 in each of the other two. The trick this time was I had that sword that deals crit damage based on being at 50% health or lower. I got to ONE hit away from killing him, but I missed a parry and got caught in his combo. This time around though I got some parry practice in on basically all of his abilities.

I've gotten close a few times now so I know it's doable.

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    Can you actually bust through the door between Cells and Mutation guys? I didn't think so...

You can do further upgrades if you are playing with boss cells.

Maybe it only lets you if you can't spend your cells on anything? I didn't try until I couldn't move forward because it said the door only opened if I spent all my cells, but I couldn't spend my cells on anything.

Sort of like how I didn't find out you could destroy those golden doors that cost money to open with an item behind them in exchange for a curse until about 10 hours in.

20 hours in, TIL...

I don't find the cursed chest rewards to be worth the risk. I almost always skip them.

• Options
    MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    Can you actually bust through the door between Cells and Mutation guys? I didn't think so...

Maybe it only lets you if you can't spend your cells on anything? I didn't try until I couldn't move forward because it said the door only opened if I spent all my cells, but I couldn't spend my cells on anything.

Sort of like how I didn't find out you could destroy those golden doors that cost money to open with an item behind them in exchange for a curse until about 10 hours in.

20 hours in, TIL...

I don't find the cursed chest rewards to be worth the risk. I almost always skip them.

I generally do them if I have some kind of freeze, since that reliably makes it "safe" to do them.

Finally made it to the clocktower. I think I made some pretty good headway into it as well. Fell in love with the Swift Sword.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular

20 hours in, TIL...

I'll do the cursed chests if I'm in the first, second, or third levels, but after that it's rare that I'll open them. It's just too risky after that.

• Options
    Hey, looks like today was a big patch day!

After two sessions, the first things I noticed were that the shop reroll thing was more expensive and on one level I found a room where I could choose one of two weapons/items. According to the patch notes, they replace another weapon, which disappears (so you presumably can't sell it).

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Huh, they made a lot of segments of the game shorter. Seems like they want people to have more frequent runs / attempts at the last boss?

• Options
    I still haven't made it to the final boss, so maybe I'm for that change.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Huh, they made a lot of segments of the game shorter. Seems like they want people to have more frequent runs / attempts at the last boss?

I think they might just have wanted to reduce the feeling that you needed to outright blitz the game to get to the timed doors, and maybe cut down income slightly.

• Options
    FiskebentFiskebent DenmarkRegistered User regular
    This game is so good and so infuriating. Spending 40 minutes getting to the hand of the king and then having him kill me super-fast makes me want to uninstall. But all I end up doing is taking a 5 minute break before having a go again.

Stupid Hand is going down next time, I swear!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FiskebentFiskebent DenmarkRegistered User regular
    It's nice when a prediction comes through. Hand of the King down! :D

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Had to look this thread up when I saw this:

I haven't played it at all yet but it's been on my radar. Seems perfect for Switch.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    Also, there was a new Dead Cells content update today which they're calling the Baguette Update.

• Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    Yay switch physical. OK I will bite on this.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Yay switch physical. OK I will bite on this.

Same here

• Options
    Also, there was a new Dead Cells content update today which they're calling the Baguette Update.
    I like the forge change. It kinda broke the spirit of the game RE: using what you find and rolling with it. Good move.

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    I picked this up on the steam sale, and it's pretty awesome! It seems like a steal at $12, and I guess it's getting a price increase to $25 once it leaves early access fairly soon. I've managed to avoid basically every metroidvania of the past few years, but this one feels and plays great. I love the progression system, and every frustrating death has just lead to starting another run a couple of minutes later. I will probably wind up buying the Switch version when it comes out in a few months, but it feels like a solid investment already.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    1.0! Time for me to actually play this game.

But I haven't decided whether to get this on PC or Switch. Main issue is I don't like using the Switch's d-pad for movement in platformers. Is Dead Cells better with d-pad or analogue stick?

broken image link
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    I vastly prefer D-pad to stick in 2D platformers, but I guess it’s personal preference.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    I like playing with analog sticks, using an Xbox one controller on PC. Feels really good.

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Depends how often and accurately you need to press up and down, which I find easier to do with the d-pad. If it's mostly just left and right I prefer the feel of the stick.

Also I just found out that Dead Cells is like ten bucks cheaper on Steam in my region, which makes me lean pretty heavily towards that option.

broken image link
  • Options
    I dove back into this yesterday, only to find that there were some issues in the pause menu where I couldn't see all of my available options, although I could select them. I quit the game eventually once I figured how to quit with that new menu (I accidentally hit restart once).

But today, I saw the final patch had gone through. And the game had a nice popup message thanking me for my early access participation. It also suggested that I start over from the beginning to experience the lore. I figured I could do the thing where I select which weapons I want to appear as well.

I died a few times early on, probably due to rustiness, but eventually I made it all the way to what used to be called the Foggy Fjord and is now Stilt Town or whatever. Then I opened a curse chest and died stupidly with 2 enemies left before the curse was lifted, which is about how it usually goes for me when I get a curse.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    So I picked this up today and tried it for about 20 minutes over lunch

Very interesting. The combat is extremely aggressive and mobile, which is nice, though I'm worried it will be hard to track through the explosions of pixelgore and particles (especially with my colourblindness) when things get more frenetic.

Any tips for a first time player? I am finding ranged attacks very appealing but I guess the ammo only coming back on kills means you can't use ranged by itself.

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Any tips for a first time player?

Freeze and stun grenades.

With the non-boss stuff, you can usually run away and regroup, wait for your timers to come back, and try to get singles/smaller groups isolated.

Don't rush. For me, trying to make the timed doors or any kind of fast run is asking for it.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Don't forget to use your roll too. It is pretty powerful

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    I haven't played it in a couple major patches but yeah this game just launched today. It's been getting very good reviews, which I'm glad to see, as it deserves them. Very interesting game.

• Options
    Henroid wrote: »
    I haven't played it in a couple major patches but yeah this game just launched today. It's been getting very good reviews, which I'm glad to see, as it deserves them. Very interesting game.

I mess with it sporadically. Mechanically it hasn't changed much - which is good. It's mostly been progression & under the hood changes.

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    I finally was able to do an all-magic run for good amount of time on my playthrough yesterday. I had an okay sword and the frost spell, then had a legendary lightning bolt drop on the 3rd level that did 1000 dps. My heart wouldn't let me drop the frost spell, so I doubled up and went lighting/frost. It worked pretty well! I eventually died to the second boss because she's mean, but was a lot closer than previous tries.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Venture IndustryVenture Industry Registered User regular
    I beefed it and forgot to pre-purchase this for the discount.

Now I'm going to play the "chicken-waiting game" for a discount before I inevitably pay full price.

It looks super fun y'all.

3DS: 3866-8020-5336 NNID/PSN: VentureIndustry XBL: Hax0rz
  • Options
    I really ought to try not playing with a shield sometime. I just feel naked without one, though.

• Options
    So I picked this up today and tried it for about 20 minutes over lunch

Very interesting. The combat is extremely aggressive and mobile, which is nice, though I'm worried it will be hard to track through the explosions of pixelgore and particles (especially with my colourblindness) when things get more frenetic.

Any tips for a first time player? I am finding ranged attacks very appealing but I guess the ammo only coming back on kills means you can't use ranged by itself.

I'd say be sure to keep revisiting biomes you've been to before when you get new permanent runes, new paths open up often. Also, once you've beaten the first boss, you'll gain access to the forge. It might not be immediately clear, but the "items become + by default" allows you to further upgrade them to ++, at which point they pick up level bonuses. I didn't realize that and ended up spending a lot of cells on secondary weapons/traps that I probably should have spent on better item quality first.

• Options
    I really ought to try not playing with a shield sometime. I just feel naked without one, though.

TBH I don't find them to be much use, personally. I tend to get a lot more milage out of just rolling.

• Options
    Cog wrote: »

TBH I don't find them to be much use, personally. I tend to get a lot more milage out of just rolling.

What can I say, I just love parrying.

• Options

Yeah, I'm the worst at that.

This is also probably why I'm so bad at Dark Souls.

• Options
    I pretty much only take shields when I run across one with 25%+ DR and a stat bonus on it.

• Options
    I usually take the bow with the intention of immediately abandoning it for the first reasonable upgrade I can find.

• Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular

You also get a short period of invulnerability after you get hit when you have a shield equipped. Which is amazing because you have a short time to get some of that health back by attacking.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    1) what are those goddamn flying blob things in the Ramparts that show up in huge numbers

2) fuck those things

• Options
    1) what are those goddamn flying blob things in the Ramparts that show up in huge numbers

2) fuck those things

Slash 'em fast! They usually die in one hit.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    hey since i last played this they added secret runes in the floor that i don't know how to trigger, they glow red when i try to stomp on them

is that something that i'm gonna learn naturally through playing the game or should i look those up

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    hey since i last played this they added secret runes in the floor that i don't know how to trigger, they glow red when i try to stomp on them

is that something that i'm gonna learn naturally through playing the game or should i look those up

How long has it been since you played? Those were in the game as far back as December, when I got it. They're something you can get past once you get a certain permanent item.