As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Welcome! Everything is fine. [The Good Place][OPEN SPOILERS]

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    this is one of my all time favorite shows

every episode feels like they've written themselves into a corner and then the next episode is them doing batshit crazy narrative gymnastics to dive out of it, only to write themselves into an all new corner for the following week

it feels like they put Parks and Recreation and The Prisoner into a blender and and somehow actually made that work perfectly

The Prisoner does have that undercurrent of dread. Like you kind of forget about it but the stakes for these guys are immense.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular

every episode feels like they've written themselves into a corner and then the next episode is them doing batshit crazy narrative gymnastics to dive out of it, only to write themselves into an all new corner for the following week

it feels like they put Parks and Recreation and The Prisoner into a blender and and somehow actually made that work perfectly

The Prisoner does have that undercurrent of dread. Like you kind of forget about it but the stakes for these guys are immense.

yeah they're both these shows that take place in, well, prisons, that are designed to like like small idyllic villages, and use that as the backdrop for weird, surreal psychological stories

the difference is just that Good Place is a comedy and The Prisoner is a... something that's not a comedy

yeah they're both these shows that take place in, well, prisons, that are designed to like like small idyllic villages, and use that as the backdrop for weird, surreal psychological stories

the difference is just that Good Place is a comedy and The Prisoner is a... something that's not a comedy

True. The real question though speed is Why did you resign?

• BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    How many episodes is this season going to be?

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    13, same as the first.

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    As I was watching the first episode of season 2 my thought was "Well, there's the premise for the entirety of season 2". And then the reboot montage started.

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Oh my god I love everything about this episode.

• JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    Tahani's American accent is really impressive

I was actually pretty excited every time she busted it out

I don't know if that or Janet's attempts at being bad were the highlight

Michael's sacrifice got me pretty emotional though

• JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    I take it back, the Janet/Jason flirting was the best part of the episode

edited January 2018
    Jimothy wrote: »
    Tahani's American accent is really impressive

I was actually pretty excited every time she busted it out

Obviously the whole cast is just A++ amazing, but I really feel like Jameela Jamil doesn't get enough of the credit.

edit: Especially since this is literally her first time acting!

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Pass the NASCAR ketchup.

• NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    Jimothy wrote: »
    I take it back, the Janet/Jason flirting was the best part of the episode

For me, it was Shawn saying "I'm a naughty bitch".

Hands down, no contest.

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    This episode was so damn good. All the jabs (there's a Pirates of the Caribbean 6 poster at the train station), all of Shawn's lines ("I can only fail up"), Good Janet trying to be bad, all of it.

Michael's sacrifice really got me, too, I'm predicting that the humans are going to try to appeal to the judge that Michael should be spared. I hope Good Janet is going to be ok, too.

• Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    tahani drinking pbr is my source of power

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    This episode was so damn good. All the jabs (there's a Pirates of the Caribbean 6 poster at the train station), all of Shawn's lines ("I can only fail up"), Good Janet trying to be bad, all of it.

Michael's sacrifice really got me, too, I'm predicting that the humans are going to try to appeal to the judge that Michael should be spared. I hope Good Janet is going to be ok, too.

I really liked his sacrifice, but in the same way that a lot of media shows sacrifices like that, it wasn't really clear why he had to sacrifice himself. Why not just jump in the portal with them? He can't actually be stalling Shawn and them, since if they really wanted to they could have just...gone right past him?

Obvs the next episode could show him finding some way to convince them to lay off or whatever, but in the moment it felt a little unnecessary.

• Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    They needed the badges to go in the portal

mkc.png
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    He only had four badges. He gave his to Eleanor

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Oh! Shit, somehow I missed that. That's what I get for eating messy tacos while watching...

Well then, never mind!

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Oh! Shit, somehow I missed that. That's what I get for eating messy tacos while watching...

Well then, never mind!

And those would not be the last things those tacos ruined that night

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    This episode was amazing. And who knew Chekhov's molotov cocktail could be so satisfying?

tynic wrote: »
    This episode was amazing. And who knew Chekhov's molotov cocktail could be so satisfying?

Jake fucking Jortles thats who.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    THEY HAVE PBR IN HELL!

WOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    That's actually the only necessary condition for hell.

• DimosarDimosar I am the Brain Genius Registered User regular
    how is it that every consecutive episode of The Good Place always the best episode of The Good Place

riddle me that

how do they keep on doing this

• ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I think I have literally never seen better acting than Ted Danson in in this show. Like, I had no idea. I want to go back and watch all his other stuff, but there's no way Becker is going to be as awesome as The Good Place. :P

I think that from here, if Eleanor cannot immediately convince someone to get him, she is going to want to go back for Michael, and she will go if no one else does. After all.. Eleanor was the first in the show to offer herself up completely for sacrifice - on Micheal's behalf. She could have kept quiet and let Michael eat it, but she didn't. Even though it was fake she didn't know that and you probably don't easily forget that kind of thing. I think the two of them have an unspoken understanding and appreciation of each other, and they clearly share a sense of humor and self-awareness that most every other character on the show lacks. I feel like given the necessity the two of them could travel together, sacrificing themselves for the other for all eternity. I always felt like the two pairs actually were soulmates even though the rest of it was fake, but thinking about it I would not be even a little surprised if it somehow turned out that Eleanor's soulmate was actually Michael. And really... she's figured him out every time.

I mean, that or he's still torturing them.

And if they have by some catastrophic error in judgement decided to write Michael out completely I am going to tableflip my workspace right then, cheap hutch and all, and go into the desert to live out my days untouched by the nonsense of modern storytelling.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
    I mean, if you haven't seen Cheers then absolutely do that.

camo_sig2.png

• ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I just looked at it on Netflix.. 11 seasons, yeesh. Maybe I could give it another try.

Janet is still in TBP with Michael and I HAVE to imagine she'll factor into whatever happens with him being captured. No Idea how she'll get him out though, and I don't see them giving Michael a meaningless sacrifice by saving him one episode later. But they can't kill him off....can they???? Maybe leaving Janet behind was a gambit and Michael is fucking with the Bad Place people

Also hearing actual swearwords in this show was actually surprising. It made me feel like I was 10 again and watching Robocop

Yeah if he is actually going to be leaving the show, I will be profoundly sad and disappointed. He is so incredibly good in this, damn.

I will bet five million dollars (which I absolutely have trust me) that there is literally no chance they've written Ted Danson off the show.

camo_sig2.png

Blackjack wrote: »
    I will bet five million dollars (which I absolutely have trust me) that there is literally no chance they've written Ted Danson off the show.

I mean I don't expect them to get rid of him willingly, but you never know if there's like contract stuff, or he has some other reason for leaving or whatever.

Either way, I don't doubt you're right but I don't wanna jinx it.

not to try and write ahead of the show but I would love it if they forgoed retirement for Michael and instead tried to put him in a "good place" as punishment, the entire time very seriously trying to convince him that he was in the actual good place as he just dejectedly sees through all of it the entire time getting sadder and sadder

• AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    in one of my tabletop RPG groups today the party had to make fake personas for something

one of them called himself 'The Derrick' and when interviewed by a reporter responded to most questions by just saying "yeah... Derrick" it was a pretty good gag

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    ceres wrote: »
    I just looked at it on Netflix.. 11 seasons, yeesh. Maybe I could give it another try.

Cheers holds up pretty damn well. He's channeling a little Sam in Good place at times tbh

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Mike Schur believes Sam Malone is the greatest television character in history

He is never letting Ted Danson go

6F32U1X.png
    Considering all the curve-balls this show throws I can't discount the possibility of this being the end for Michael, but the very nature of this setting and its characters still leaves them with outs they can pull out of thin air.

If I'm right and the humans try to convince the judge to save Michael, I could see the judge freezing time in TBP/summoning everyone so they can hear about the case, or Good Janet has a defensive barrier from her evolution to stall for time - whatever you want to dream up, it's plausible.

Janet does have that self-defense protocol... the one that makes her emotionally beg for her life with fake children. If she's with Michael and Michael is legitimately threatened she could pop out and do... something. Whatever she's now evolved enough to do.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    ceres wrote: »
    Janet does have that self-defense protocol... the one that makes her emotionally beg for her life with fake children. If she's with Michael and Michael is legitimately threatened she could pop out and do... something. Whatever she's now evolved enough to do.

She could always try to pull him into her void?

• YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    they mentioned that the Janet warehouse is in the same neutral zone that the judge lives in

I bet we get a Janet army

Soft prediction: I don't imagine Sean gets out of this season without retirement due to his illegal mission into the Middle Place.