As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Canadian Politics] Supreme Court rules on interprovincial sour grapes

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    This is disappointing. And not because of the girl herself per se, but because of the racialized society we live in these days. Kids lie. Kids do shit to get attention. Kids get in trouble and then lie to get out of it. Kids tell teachers one thing and parents another and are always surprised when they find out that Teachers and Parents sometimes talk to each other.

So what should have been a lie that was handled by one, maybe two, families and the school is now going to become a whole thing. Agendas will be pushed. Closet racist white people will be on the lookout for coloured people who had nothing to do with this issue. The police now are going to be asked to look even deeper in this this family ("If they'll lie about hijab, then they will lie about terrorism too!") and more and more bullshit...

Sigh. Its just disappointing.

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    This is disappointing. And not because of the girl herself per se, but because of the racialized society we live in these days. Kids lie. Kids do shit to get attention. Kids get in trouble and then lie to get out of it. Kids tell teachers one thing and parents another and are always surprised when they find out that Teachers and Parents sometimes talk to each other.

So what should have been a lie that was handled by one, maybe two, families and the school is now going to become a whole thing. Agendas will be pushed. Closet racist white people will be on the lookout for coloured people who had nothing to do with this issue. The police now are going to be asked to look even deeper in this this family ("If they'll lie about hijab, then they will lie about terrorism too!") and more and more bullshit...

Hey, don't sell people other than whites short, as my Asian boss once told me, "White people only think they're racist, Asian people don't even like other Asians!".

Nosf on
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »

Hey, don't sell people other than whites short, as my Asian boss once told me, "White people only think they're racist, Asian people don't even like other Asians!".

I have an east indian friend that was born and raised here that was doing a month long tour of india with his siblings and was psyched about it.

On his return shared how uncomfortable and open the racism there is.... He's married to an African lady and apparently kids would spit at her in the street and adults scream insults at him.

Racism is not a whites only problem..... But in NA we have the balance of power making it a much broader issue.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

I don't think that's what is going to happen. This blew up because it plays directly into issues we actually have and the main fallout is going to be what it always is for these kind of false accusations: it's going to be used by people who don't think racism is a big deal to justify their position because they will hold it up as the proof that these accusations are bullshit. Thankfully the second doesn't play too hard into already existing issues the way this would if this were a rape case or something.

The police are unlikely to be looking in to this family for no reason.

• Options
    You are right. There are racist people of every race. I should not drop racism at feet of only whites.

I said White People because in this case I will predict that those who want to use this this to push their agendas will be overwhelmingly white. And while I don't think the police will look deeper into this family, there will be calls for them to do so.

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »

I have an east indian friend that was born and raised here that was doing a month long tour of india with his siblings and was psyched about it.

On his return shared how uncomfortable and open the racism there is.... He's married to an African lady and apparently kids would spit at her in the street and adults scream insults at him.

Racism is not a whites only problem..... But in NA we have the balance of power making it a much broader issue.

It wasn't that long ago that in North America, pretty much anyone who wasn't of Anglo-Saxon ethnicity wasn't considered really white.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Corvus wrote: »

It wasn't that long ago that in North America, pretty much anyone who wasn't of Anglo-Saxon ethnicity wasn't considered really white.

Whiteness as a thing is an extremely complicated issue.

• Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular

I found out about this in reddit before this thread, based on what I read there (I really shouldn't have bothered), you are sadly all too correct. I won't bother repeating what I read there but at the very least, I did see some people calling them on their bullshit.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    The prettiest province in confederation has hammered out their pot laws:
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-edward-island/pei-marijuana-cannabis-province-plan-1.4489354

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Virtue and Moir first ever "dual" flag bearers.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/watch-canada-unveil-olympic-flag-bearer-for-pyeongchang-1.4489152

Seems like a good choice to me.
    Canadian women's bobsleigh teams crushed it lately too though.

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    It's Virtue and Moir's last Olympics, so it's a nice tribute. I was there in person when they won the gold in Vancouver. Their routine was amazing and it was really neat being there with all the excited Canadians.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Oh.

My.

God.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdnkDgLkQGM&feature=youtu.be

It's coming baaaaaack!

For those interested, Katimavik is an all expense paid program that takes young people ages 19-21 and places them in communties across Canada, where they volunteer, learn French/English, and do other community stuff. It was one of the first things canceled when Harper took power, and was/is considered a waste of tax dollars. The fact that it seems to attract the more hippy/liberal teens and adults may have been a contributing factor. (The program tries to be politically neutral. For example, we were forbidden from joining protests against the Iraq War.... in Vancouver)

There was this guy named Justin Treadeau that was a representitive for the group back in '03, don't know if you've heard of him... his dad was pretty famous.

• Options
    Very cool. I think everyone in this country would benefit from seeing how amazing but different all the various provinces are!

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    Oh.

My.

God.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdnkDgLkQGM&feature=youtu.be

It's coming baaaaaack!

For those interested, Katimavik is an all expense paid program that takes young people ages 19-21 and places them in communties across Canada, where they volunteer, learn French/English, and do other community stuff. It was one of the first things canceled when Harper took power, and was/is considered a waste of tax dollars. The fact that it seems to attract the more hippy/liberal teens and adults may have been a contributing factor. (The program tries to be politically neutral. For example, we were forbidden from joining protests against the Iraq War.... in Vancouver)

There was this guy named Justin Treadeau that was a representitive for the group back in '03, don't know if you've heard of him... his dad was pretty famous.

My friend did Katimavik, she enjoyed it... that's about all I have to say. Always sounded like a great way to meet new people, see Canada and make out with people from across this fine country.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    This is the first time I've ever heard about that program. Was it a big deal back in the day or just a niche program?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Daimar wrote: »
    This is the first time I've ever heard about that program. Was it a big deal back in the day or just a niche program?

In the late 90's I remember it being a pretty big deal when I was graduating. A few classmates went and did it and had a great experience.

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    It was pretty niche, which is probably why the Conservatives were able to cancel it so easily. I honestly loved it, not only did it get me out and doing stuff, I started being exposed to lots of music I had never experienced in my small town.

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    I hadn't heard about it until my friend was gushing about being excited to go. That friend has since went to McGill for law, also did schooling out in Cape Town, South Africa and now is a Lawyer working out of Toronto.... or was it Ottawa.. man I am a bad friend.. I forget where the hell she lives and I just saw her two weeks ago.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    Decius wrote: »

Oh, it's Up With People: Canada Version! (Says the Up With People alum.)

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Just in case the Tim Hortons silliness in Ontario wasn't sufficiently silly, at least one of the franchises apparently took to telling their staff how to vote in the next election, which I'm reasonably sure Ontario elections law just looooves.

• Options
    Isn't that legal?
    I thought you just couldn't be fired/punished for holding specific political views or being a member of x party?
    A business saying, vote conservative! to it's employee's I thought was legal.
    It's legal for union organizations to advocate for one party is it not?

I mean sure it's a dick move but as has been established these people are dicks.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    The law in Ontario's weird. If I remember the specifics, employers are allowed to discriminate based on political views, to the point of being able to directly ask about it in job interviews and accept/reject candidates based on that, but they aren't allowed to tell you how to vote in particular provincial elections (or at least threaten your job over it), since that crosses the line into someone directly interfering with an elector.

An employer "encouraging" minimum-wage staff to vote a particular way in the next election's specific enough, and with enough hints of duress, that a lawyer could probably have some fun with it.

• Options
    That is shit ass backwards. WTF Ontario.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I disagree.

Employers telling their employees how to vote may work in the city of London, but that shouldn't be happening here.

• Options
    Punishing someone for how they vote should be illegal. Advocating for a particular person or party should be allowed.
    Or are we saying unions and ANY organization you're a part of should not be able to tell you who would be best to vote for?

I have no issue whatsoever with a company saying "we like these guys" or "Don't vote x" as long as it doesn't come with a way for them to A) find out B) take action against you.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I think that owners/employers should be able to say who they're voting for, but probably shouldn't.
    I think employers/owners should not be able to tell employees who they should be voting for.

There is no way to interpret a company telling its employees "vote for these people" as anything other than "there will be some kind of consequences for you if we find out that you don't".

It has to do with the power imbalance. Unions don't have much power over employees' careers, owners do.
    It's not that you're part of the organization, but rather if the organization controls major aspects of your life.

This is my opinion as an owner of a business.

Psykoma on
  • Options
    BlarghyBlarghy Registered User regular
    To be fair, from reading the article its less "We demand that you vote this way, serfs" and more "Yeah it sucks that your benefits were cut, but blame the government, not us". Whether or not that's a dick move is one thing, but it doesn't appear to be some discriminatory thing -- the benefits were still cut regardless of how (or if) anyone voted.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Psykoma wrote: »
    I think that owners/employers should be able to say who they're voting for, but probably shouldn't.
    I think employers/owners should not be able to tell employees who they should be voting for.

There is no way to interpret a company telling its employees "vote for these people" as anything other than "there will be some kind of consequences for you if we find out that you don't".

It has to do with the power imbalance. Unions don't have much power over employees' careers, owners do.
    It's not that you're part of the organization, but rather if the organization controls major aspects of your life.

I agree with this, adding that personally I don't care how/why my employees vote - Just that they do.

What I don't agree with is this stance on Unions. I think that the Unions have just as much influence on am employee as the business itself does. Different spheres of influence maybe, but just just as valid. If a Union is allowed to influence your vote, then a business should as well.

There should absolutely not be any consequences should an employee not toe the line.

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    Psykoma wrote: »

I agree with this, adding that personally I don't care how/why my employees vote - Just that they do.

What I don't agree with is this stance on Unions. I think that the Unions have just as much influence on am employee as the business itself does. Different spheres of influence maybe, but just just as valid. If a Union is allowed to influence your vote, then a business should as well.

There should absolutely not be any consequences should an employee not toe the line.

Working in a place when you have pissed the union off is hell. They have just as much power to fuck you over as employers most of the time.

If unions can ( and do) try and influence members then employers should be able to as well.

That being said Tim Hortons can go jump in a lake with their wage slavery.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular

Ha, he's deleted his twitter. Told CBC he's not media saavy, I bet he's getting a crash course in it today.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    So yesterday Justin Trudeau was in Québec City for a town-hall Q&A. It went well, basically fielding random questions and saying how he sympathises with whatever the person was complaining about for two hours straight. Questions ranged from recognition of qualification for immigrants and Phoenix and gender equality and government reform to the Québec bridge and Lac Mégantic and Davie. Pretty monotonous by the end in fact, aside from one lone crazy-guy protestor who put up a Canadian flag with a Swastica in electric tape on top and yelled some stuff no one could understand for 30 seconds until the RCMP took him outside. The highlight for me (and I'd bet for a lot of people) was an absolutely adorable 6 year old who asked him if he could do anything, what's the one thing he would change in the world.

So imagine my surprise when I saw this headline on the CBC:
    Members of far-right Storm Alliance attend Trudeau's town hall in Quebec City
    Apparently, according to the CBC, I did not have a pleasant and uneventful, and even a bit dull, evening, but I was caught in the crossfire of a firery far-right confrontation against the PM.

Ridiculous bullshit. If there were any SA members there, they were sitting quietly and listening respectfully like everyone else, and did not at any point make their presence known. Their tuques went unnoticed in a crowd of people who just came inside from a fucking snowstorm. The best they have, by their own article's admission, is that one of them took a selfie in the back of the room.

Yet this is the headline. Not the questions or the answers, not the general feeling at the town hall, but a made-up confrontation by a group that no one knew was even there that night.

That's what I'm talking about when I say CBC is reporting fake news to sink our PM and bring the Cons back.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Richy wrote: »
    So yesterday Justin Trudeau was in Québec City for a town-hall Q&A. It went well, basically fielding random questions and saying how he sympathises with whatever the person was complaining about for two hours straight. Questions ranged from recognition of qualification for immigrants and Phoenix and gender equality and government reform to the Québec bridge and Lac Mégantic and Davie. Pretty monotonous by the end in fact, aside from one lone crazy-guy protestor who put up a Canadian flag with a Swastica in electric tape on top and yelled some stuff no one could understand for 30 seconds until the RCMP took him outside. The highlight for me (and I'd bet for a lot of people) was an absolutely adorable 6 year old who asked him if he could do anything, what's the one thing he would change in the world.

Apparently, according to the CBC, I did not have a pleasant and uneventful, and even a bit dull, evening, but I was caught in the crossfire of a firery far-right confrontation against the PM.

Ridiculous bullshit. If there were any SA members there, they were sitting quietly and listening respectfully like everyone else, and did not at any point make their presence known. Their tuques went unnoticed in a crowd of people who just came inside from a fucking snowstorm. The best they have, by their own article's admission, is that one of them took a selfie in the back of the room.

Yet this is the headline. Not the questions or the answers, not the general feeling at the town hall, but a made-up confrontation by a group that no one knew was even there that night.

That's what I'm talking about when I say CBC is reporting fake news to sink our PM and bring the Cons back.

The thing I don't understand with that narrative is why?

The conservatives slashed their budgets hard and promised to do it again if elected. What's the payoff?

FYI I truly believe things went down as you say they did.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I read the article.

It said what Richy said.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular

The conservatives slashed their budgets hard and promised to do it again if elected. What's the payoff?

Harper installed a bunch of cronies in CBC management which may be what is causing the slanted reports.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options

Harper installed a bunch of cronies in CBC management which may be what is causing the slanted reports.

Maybe that's it. I do agree they seem to be swinging right fairly steadily.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    So Harper decided that he was going to destroy the CBC and failing that he would turn them into Fox North. Wonderful.

• Options
    CorporateGoonCorporateGoon Registered User regular
    A lot of the time, the articles are fairly even-handed, but they go with the most clickbaity headlines they can think up. Sometimes they'll even change a fairly mundane headline to something more sensational after an article's been up for a while.

They also like to run inflammatory articles about government spending. There was one yesterday about bonuses for government executives rising faster than inflation. Which is barely news, but okay, fine. They basically ran the exact same article a year ago, except that one was about bonuses rising under the Tories (they even use some of the same photos). Neither article is in-depth enough to indicate whether those bonuses are justified or not, but they certainly rile people up.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    The headlines are certainly something.

Here is a CBC article from the other day that I clicked on because of the headline, read it and went, "Wait, why did the headline focus on this?"

The article was about Innovation, Science and Economic Development Minister Navdeep Bains, in a talk to law students, criticizing corporations for not having diversity in their corporate leadership positions.

The headline is: "Minister uses profanity as he criticizes companies' excuses not to hire diverse leaders"
    "One of the issues I hear from people is 'Well, we just don't have the people. We don't have the talent. We don't have the women. We don't have the diversity in our corporation. We would love to promote diversity but we just can't find the people,'" Bains told the group of about 100 people at the University of Windsor.

"That's a bunch of bullshit."

"There is an enormously talented pipeline.… The problem is they aren't part of the golf network, they're not part of the club network, the social networks that a lot of these boards exist and operate under. So I think that's the cultural change we were talking about before."

:rotate:

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    I saw that headline. It was so dumb. If you listen to the recording, the students laughed appreciatively at the "bullshit" line. There was no controversy.

This discussion has been closed.