As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Total War]: 3 Kingdoms is out! Rats and Lizardman fight it out in WH2.

TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
edited May 2019 in Games and Technology
Total War is a series of strategy games that cover many periods of history on Earth. The list of games are:

Total War: Shogun
Total War: Medieval
Total War: Rome
Total War: Medieval II
Total War: Empire
Total War: Napoleon
Total War: Shogun II
Total War: Rome II
Total War: Attila

Also other totally real and definitely not fictional periods:

Total War: Warhammer
Total War: Warhammer II

Which if you own both combine to form the Mortal Empires campaign in Warhammer II.

Soon to be released:

Total War: Thrones of Britannia - Spring 2018
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Fu0UPnk4kc

Total War: Three Kingdoms - Late 2018
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4D42vMUSIM

Tomb Kings for Total War: Warhammer II Vortex and Mortal Empire Campaign - Jan 23rd 2018
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWqKme-g_4

So let's talk about these things and how skeletons are pretty spooky.

TheGerbil on

• stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    The more I see of this expansion the more I hope they go back in this and give this level of love to the other factions. As sad as it is I would probably pay again for that. Especially the Warhammer 1 races.

steam_sig.png
  • XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    1 week till Tomb Kings! Bring on the bones.

• IblisIblis Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saTuVLlYTAM

They released some highlights from a head to head campaign they did as Tomb Kings. Neat, though nothing super interesting in there.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    stopgap wrote: »
    The more I see of this expansion the more I hope they go back in this and give this level of love to the other factions. As sad as it is I would probably pay again for that. Especially the Warhammer 1 races.

They've working on so many things right now I don't think they'll do much with WH1 except as much as needed for ME campaign.

• TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    I think they mentioned next patch for WH2 will contain more updates to WH1 factions, such as new techs for Bretonnia dealing with WH2 factions, among other things. I think buffs to some legendary lord traits?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Upki3zmazG0

Video on tomb king constructs.

• PriscaPrisca Registered User regular
    With regards to Three Kingdoms, I wonder if CA would continue to use the Warscape engine (since Empire)? I think it's time for something new.

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    I finally conquered ulthuan with morathi, it was a real slog. I'm only playing on hard, I don't know if it's even possible on very hard. but once you do that you can hop right over to norsca because chaos wastes are favorable climate and it's already maxed out on corruption

• Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Is the campaign improved in Warhammer 2? I finally got around to playing Warhammer 1 and I'm coming to really like the battles, but the campaign seems really boring or bad, not really sure the right word. Things like chasing enemies around forever just to try and initiate a battle is the most recent irritation. If an enemy army is marching around my territory, you'd think they'd get a speed penalty and my armies would get a boost.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Is the campaign improved in Warhammer 2? I finally got around to playing Warhammer 1 and I'm coming to really like the battles, but the campaign seems really boring or bad, not really sure the right word. Things like chasing enemies around forever just to try and initiate a battle is the most recent irritation. If an enemy army is marching around my territory, you'd think they'd get a speed penalty and my armies would get a boost.

There's a 10% movement speed to all armies in friendly territory (you and AI) mod that's pretty popular because of that.

As far as that specific complaint, no, TW2 does nothing to address it. Some factions in 2 can build roads, but they're really not that great and you have to build too many for them to be useful. Both 1 and 2 have heroes that slow down enemy armies on the map through an action, and they're made to address just what you're describing. The new factions do have more buttons to press on the campaign map, but aside from offering both a super pretty map (Vortex) and super huge map (Mortal Empires), it doesn't just radically shake up the campaign map game play.

Fiatil on
    I'll have to look into that mod. The other thing that is really annoying are heroes. The greenskins seem to have dozens of them and my only way to get rid of them it seems is to use one of my heroes to try and assassinate them. However the chances are always minuscule, something like 9% or so even with my Thane having the 8% bonus chance skill.

I've been messing around in quick battle a bit and from what I can tell VC have absolutely no answer to a ball of anti large elite infantry because they have no ranged to punish them with. I felt bad for one guy because all I did was bring kroq gar, a skink priest, and 6 temple guard and he couldn't do anything to me.

• Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    Fiatil wrote: »

There's a 10% movement speed to all armies in friendly territory (you and AI) mod that's pretty popular because of that.

As far as that specific complaint, no, TW2 does nothing to address it. Some factions in 2 can build roads, but they're really not that great and you have to build too many for them to be useful. Both 1 and 2 have heroes that slow down enemy armies on the map through an action, and they're made to address just what you're describing. The new factions do have more buttons to press on the campaign map, but aside from offering both a super pretty map (Vortex) and super huge map (Mortal Empires), it doesn't just radically shake up the campaign map game play.

Those road buildings aren't bad for huge provinces. They really shine in areas like Empire Start Province, Middenland, Tabelecand, and those other obnoxiously large two city provinces.

What really annoys me though is that even with the 10% mod, the AI is designed to always be juuuuuust out of range of your Army.

• Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    I've been messing around in quick battle a bit and from what I can tell VC have absolutely no answer to a ball of anti large elite infantry because they have no ranged to punish them with. I felt bad for one guy because all I did was bring kroq gar, a skink priest, and 6 temple guard and he couldn't do anything to me.

Loads of zombies and a mortis engine.

Yes the zombies will lose, but you'll lose a bunch from the mortis engine effect and the fact he will be much wider than you. If he takes kemmler then he has two passive aoe MA buffs and krell.

Fiatil wrote: »

WH2 actually improves on several things, such as no more retreat when in march stance, so factions are less likely to march and then just run away, as well the AI is way more likely to take battles that are close to even on the auto-resolve instead of just waiting for overwhelming force.

edited January 2018
    wind blast will kill big chunks of zombies and kroq gar can stomp through them and kill the mortis engine. I'm pretty sure you're limited in how many zombies you can bring too, I can only bring 6 skink cohorts. it doesn't seem to do much damage against elite infantry either, I've had people use it before to little effect. the most common strategy against lizardmen is bring 2-3 terrorgheists and try to punk kroq gar but it just doesn't work with that many temple guard. going all in with 3 terrorgheists and mannfred might work but that would leave you nothing else

just as an example even with 3 expensive anti large units(strigoi on a terrorgheist), and armor piercing anti infantry with a mortis engine... lost pretty badly
    64sB7lO.jpg

Jars on
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    I'll have to look into that mod. The other thing that is really annoying are heroes. The greenskins seem to have dozens of them and my only way to get rid of them it seems is to use one of my heroes to try and assassinate them. However the chances are always minuscule, something like 9% or so even with my Thane having the 8% bonus chance skill.

A couple of things I've noticed playing a bit of Dwarfs:
    1. Greenskins confederate like crazy, and when they do all the heroes join too, which in past TW games let you exceed the maximum allowable number of agents. That's probably what's going on, and there's not a lot you can do about that. Norscan agents were corrupting all my northern regions in my Empire campaign and all I could do was deal with it. Yes it sucks.
    2. If you try and fail to assassinate/hinder a character or army, that enemy gets a buff for ~5 turns that makes it nearly impossible to kill. In addition, your guy will get a 1 turn debuff that will lower his assassin effectiveness. I assume this is intended to give generals a fighting chance against assassin spam, which could be a massive pain in other TW games. In particular, I remember playing as the Seleucids in Rome 2. You start with a dozen satrapies but they all break off from you a few turns later. I would send armies to retake their lands and they would get permanently locked down by 6 enemy Spies all using their abilities. It was the most frustrating experience I've ever had in TW. But the point is, once you try and fail to assassinate, target a different enemy.

• SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Patch notes are here!

They're massive:

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/tomb-kings-patch-notes

Also contains an update to Brettonia with updated skill tree's and more technologies.

• KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Are the chaos stacks in ME still supposed to beeline for your provinces. Because they most definitely are in my orc campaign

I had two chaos factions come right for me but the other were too far away

• caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    Patch notes are here!

They're massive:

Also contains an update to Brettonia with updated skill tree's and more technologies.

I really hoped that norsca and the regiments of renown would be in this update as well, but I’ll take a massive overhaul to Bretonnia instead.

caligynefob on
    PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    Patch notes are here!

They're massive:

I really hoped that norsca and the regiments of renown would be in this update as well, but I’ll take a massive overhaul to Bretonnia instead.

I believe they said that's not till April or May. They essentially have to entirely redo Norsca from scratch.

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Yeah, they said May for Norsca

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Kruite wrote: »
    Are the chaos stacks in ME still supposed to beeline for your provinces. Because they most definitely are in my orc campaign

The AI in Atilla and Warhammer know exactly how your armies can move and will beeline for any enemy army or city that they can defeat without placing themselves into a losing situation on your turn.

In Atilla this is common:

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/534012374146690632/9AD0300F571A00D964EEE4FDB396F0D218A55270/

The AI knows that it cannot land a single army without me sending 3 armies to annihilate it, so they all sit in the water waiting.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Three Kindoms gives me plenty of reason to return to Total War Muggles.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    woo minor buffs for stormvermin and kroxigars

but more importantly
    Grimgor Ironhide: +5 armour, +60 ap melee damage, -10 base damage.

holy shit!

I think Franz got some pretty beefy buffs too. Especially on deathclaw.

• MassenaMassena Registered User regular
    When does that patch drop? Next tuesday?

• stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Massena wrote: »
    When does that patch drop? Next tuesday?

Yup. I am very excited as a lot of the work this patch seems to fix or address many of the ai battle issues.

stopgap on
    steam_sig.png
    What really annoys me though is that even with the 10% mod, the AI is designed to always be juuuuuust out of range of your Army.

I notice that a lot and it infuriates me. It's almost like the AI doesn't have movement points that count. I can have movement bonuses out the wazoo and home turf mod bonus and still a low level enemy leader that's surely nowhere near my level of move bonus can stay just out of my range no matter what.

Once I learned to use ambush all the time that helped a lot to sneak into attack range, but if an army has gotten past you and is making a beeline for some undefended back town you can't stop them.

Are there any other mod's to help with this? I'm curious if 10% still isn't enough, is there a 20% one? Anything that just removes heroes from the game?

• Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Are there any other mod's to help with this? I'm curious if 10% still isn't enough, is there a 20% one? Anything that just removes heroes from the game?

There are some no hero actions ones. There were for TTWH 1 at least. So then their only use is embedded, which is where I prefer mine anyway

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    so potentially stupid question but

I'm playing VC and punched a bunch of shitty dwarves faces after a siege of Karak Him, but my only options were to loot and do nothing, not take it

what uh... what am I supposed to do to take it

in 1 you can only occupy settlements specific to your race. greenskin/dwarf and human/VC/brettonia are shared and can't colonize the others

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    in 1 you can only occupy settlements specific to your race. greenskin/dwarf and human/VC/brettonia are shared and can't colonize the others

ahhh, that's mega dumb

I wanna obliterate these dumb dwarves

• ErrorError Registered User regular
    Be a dirty dwarf or a filthy greenskin. Something about not bein condusive to Vampirin. If it helps they can't take over your stuff either. Somethin about bein not condusive to bein dirty or filthy so I'm told.

PiptheFair wrote: »

ahhh, that's mega dumb

You can raze them on the next turn. First thing I do when playing vampires is raze the mountains around me to remove that threat and curry favor with the greenskins. You can loot for cash and then raze it. Warhammer 2 introduced settling anywhere but you take penalties the more unlike your home terrain it is.

edited January 2018
    PiptheFair wrote: »

ahhh, that's mega dumb

Razing is what you want then. Obliterate them.

See if there is a warhammer 1 mod that removes retreat while in march stance. It is a godsend that this is the default in Warhammer 2.

EDIT:

Here is a link to a bunch of mods that alter march stance, which should help out. It is the #1 reason the AI is a pain in the ass in WH1.

TheGerbil on
  • LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    Youtubers have had their embargoes lifted on Rise of the Tomb Kings.

And because I can't find it anywhere else, I'm going to transcribe Settra's title train for y'all:

"Settra, Great King, The Imperishable, Khemrikhara, The Great King of Nehekhara, King of Kings, Opener of the Way, Wielder of the Divine Flame, Punisher of Nomads, The Great Unifier, Commander of the Golden Legion, Sacred of Appearance, Bringer of Light, Father of Hawks, Builder of Cities, Protector of the Two Worlds, Keeper of the Hours, Chosen of Ptra, High Stewart of the Horizon, Sailor of the Great Vitae, Sentinel of the Two Realms, The Undisputed, Begetter of the Begat, Scourge of the Faithless, Carrion-Feeder, First of the Charnel Valley, Rider of the Sacred Chariot, Vanquisher of Vermin, Champion of the Death Arena, Mighty Lion of the Infinite Desert, Emperor of the Shifting Sands, He Who Holds the Sceptre, Great Hawk of the Heavens, Arch-Sultan of Atalan, Waker of the Hierotitan, Monarch of the Sky, Majestic Emperor of the Shifting Sands, Champion of the Desert Gods, Breaker of the Ogre Clans, Builder of the Great Pyramid, Terror of the Living, Master of the Never-Ending Horizon, Master of the Necropolises, Taker of Souls, Tyrant to the Foolish, Bearer of Ptra's Holy Blade, Scion of Usirian, Scion of Nehek, The Great, Chaser of Nightmares, Keeper of the Royal Herat, Founder of the Mortuary Cult, Banisher of the Grand Hierophant, High Lord Admiral of the Deathfleets, Guardian of the Charnel Pass, Tamer of the Liche King, Unliving Jackal Lord, Dismisser of the Warrior Queen, Charioteer of the Gods, He Who Does Not Serve, Slayer of Redditras, Scarab Purger, Favoured of Usirian, Player of the Great Game, Liberator of Life, Lord Sand, Wrangler of Scorpions, Emperor of the Dunes, Eternal Sovereign of Khemri's Legions, Seneschal of the Great Sandy Desert, Curserer of the Living, Regent of the Eastern Mountains, Warden of the Eternal Necropolis, Herald of All Heralds, Caller of the Bitter Wind, God-Tamer, Master of the Mortis River, Guardian of the Dead, Great Keeper of the Obelisks, Deacon of the Ash River, Belated of Wakers, General of the Mighty Frame, Summoner of Sandstorms, Master of All Necrotects, Prince of Dust, Tyrant of Araby, Purger of the Greenskin Breathers, Killer of the False God's Champions, Tyrant of the Gold Dunes, Golden Bone Lord, Avenger of the Dead, Carrion Master, Eternal Warden of Nehek's Land, Breaker of Djaf's Bonds, et cetera, et cetera."

(Eat your heart out, Khaleesi.)

• FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited January 2018

The 10% mod I mentioned also has a 25% bonus version.

Here's a version for TW1.

Fiatil on
This discussion has been closed.