As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ipod classic vs. ipod touch

2»

• Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    When music is playing you can just click on the album to bring up a thing so you can skip through the song. In vertical mode, anyway. I don't really use horizontal for music ever.

And I'm really impressed with typing on this thing, it's almost faster than my typing on a regular keyboard.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    RonenRonen Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Septus wrote: »
    Ronen wrote: »
    Music: this is actually the one place where I'm kinda disappointed. Despite the screen being larger and displaying really beautiful album art, it actually manages to give you less information about what you're listening to than other iPods. Namely, on a regular iPod there's a bar that tells you how far through the song you are, and if you click the center button and then spin your finger around the wheel, you can scrub through the song. This makes navigating really long songs a breeze... but there's no such function on the Touch. You can only hold the fast forward and rewind button to skip parts of songs. Kinda annoying, but I guess I can deal.

Really? I could swear that I heard(may have been for the iPhone) that you can touch and drag the position in the song forward or backward. I specifically remember this because the review said that with the touch interface, it can be hard to stop exactly where you want.

Yup, I just missed that, Ben had it right. So I take back what I said about the scrubbing through.

The no volume thing in Cover Flow still boggles my mind, though.

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

or Brawl. 4854.6102.3895 Name: NU..
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Yeah, but to be fair Cover Flow is shit even on a proper size computer.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Septus wrote: »
    Music: this is actually the one place where I'm kinda disappointed. Despite the screen being larger and displaying really beautiful album art, it actually manages to give you less information about what you're listening to than other iPods. Namely, on a regular iPod there's a bar that tells you how far through the song you are, and if you click the center button and then spin your finger around the wheel, you can scrub through the song. This makes navigating really long songs a breeze... but there's no such function on the Touch. You can only hold the fast forward and rewind button to skip parts of songs. Kinda annoying, but I guess I can deal.

Really? I could swear that I heard(may have been for the iPhone) that you can touch and drag the position in the song forward or backward. I specifically remember this because the review said that with the touch interface, it can be hard to stop exactly where you want.

Yup, I just missed that, Ben had it right. So I take back what I said about the scrubbing through.

The no volume thing in Cover Flow still boggles my mind, though.

I could have sworn that the cover flow mode brings up a control widget if you tap it too, but I forget whether that has volume controls on it. I guess they could have forgot to add that since the iPhone has physical volume controls already...

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I thought that any time during music playing, you can now, after one of the updates, double tap to get the volume controls, as you seem to have described. If that's true, I'm not sure what more you need other than hard volume controls(which are good, and luckily the iPhone has). If it's too easy access, you might be changing the volume in your pants on accident.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    redimpulseredimpulse Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Yeah my touch has no volume control (or anything control for that matter) in cover flow mode. It seems more tacked on than it should.

Hopefully they'll do something to fix it in an update.

redimpulse on
    rbsig.jpg
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    update: recieved my iPod touch yesterday. I couldnt be happier with it.

In fact I am posting from it right now

It's great for someone without a lot of music, and the web browser is really well done.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    MobileSafari is the best Safari.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    DissolutionDissolution Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    mts wrote: »
    you could always just yank the headphones out of the ipod to pause if you need to do it in a hurry. that pauses it ( at least on 5G video ones)

Only problem with that (assuming it's the same on ALL the new generations of iPod) I noticed on my new Nano at least is the headphones plug in REALLY snugly, so much so I had trouble plugging it in the first time.

My old first gen Nano, though...the headphones would come out if I sneezed.

Dissolution on
    Houk wrote: »
    Finally! A game that understands my desire for the inclusion of a jar of semen!
    PSN - Kog667 : DiRT 3 and Gran Turismo 5
  • Options
    RonenRonen Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    mts wrote: »
    you could always just yank the headphones out of the ipod to pause if you need to do it in a hurry. that pauses it ( at least on 5G video ones)

Only problem with that (assuming it's the same on ALL the new generations of iPod) I noticed on my new Nano at least is the headphones plug in REALLY snugly, so much so I had trouble plugging it in the first time.

My old first gen Nano, though...the headphones would come out if I sneezed.

For the record: iPods have paused your music if it detects your headphones become unplugged for a long time... my first iPod (a 3rd gen 30GB) did this. I was really impressed when I discovered it accidentally.

As far as the double-tap the home button to change the volume, yeah, it works... but at my desk I have the iPod sitting in a stand in Cover Flow mode, so I shouldn't have to press a button twice to bring up controls that are now sideways and then adjust them. I should be able to just slide my finger somewhere on the screen at any time. It's a pretty glaring oversight.

Anyway, I've now got six full length movies, about 150 pictures and a couple of albums on my Touch and I still have over half the space left. Everybody I've shown movies to has been really impressed... stuff looks beautiful. Overly dark action scenes (like lots of scenes in Batman Begins) can be a bit hard to follow if you leave the brightness down at 25% (like I do most of the time, the brightest settings actually hurt my eyes), but at max brightness they look just fine.

Around the house, I've found myself using the Touch for web browsing a lot more than I thought I would because it's instantly on: I just press a button and slide a finger and I'm in a browser, connected to my wifi network and browsing. It's a lot faster than sitting down at my computer and opening up a browser. I'm really, really happy with it so far.

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

or Brawl. 4854.6102.3895 Name: NU..