As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K] The FAQ has arrived

• Options
    TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    You're wrong on the second part. Any unit within 1" OR that has charged can be activated.

For example, unit Z is within 1" of unit A, and units B and C charge unit Z. You activated unit B and wipe out unit Z. Unit A cannot activate, but unit B still can, getting a 3" pile in (Ending closer to the nearest enemy), swinging on any unit within 1" that they declared as a charge target, then another 3" consolidate (Ending closer to nearest enemy).
    So by your example, C can activate despite Z being destroyed?

Sorry, I said B twice. If B wipes Z out, C can activate, or vice versa. Any unit that charged can be activated.

First line of the Fight subphase rules; "Any unit that charged or has models within 1" of an enemy unit can be chosen to fight in the Fight phase"

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Thank you.

So, basically, 40k is Rules As Written as f***.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    Thank you.

If you play at tournaments with the intent to win, knowing the rules as well as possible is very important.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Thank you.

If you play at tournaments with the intent to win, knowing the rules as well as possible is very important.

Also in general when playing. Helping folks learn the rules and know how the play, don't be a dick or a rules lawyer doing this though, leads to smoother and more fun games. Even I screw up from time to time though and I learn things.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Everyone screws up. There's a lot of shit to memorize.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Thank you.

Also in general when playing. Helping folks learn the rules and know how the play, don't be a dick or a rules lawyer doing this though, leads to smoother and more fun games. Even I screw up from time to time though and I learn things.

Yeah, I’m pretty sure about a quarter of the complaints I heard about 7th edition were people ranting about a different game they made up out of bits of 5th and 6th editions, with a hint of 2nd edition sprinkled on top for flavour.
    The rest were about Formations. :whistle:

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    I have, to date, never played a single match of WH40k entirely correctly rules wise, in any edition.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I still misremeber things and add 3rd edition rules. I don't play enough to remember it all, though.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Formations. :whistle:

I liked formations. They were a fun little way to synergize certain parts of your army in ways that usually made sense. They were, like everything in 40K, certainly abused by a certain portion of the playerbase, but I was still sad to see them go. Some of them stuck around but require command points now, but considering how command point manipulation goes I don't really think it's an ideal system.

• Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    Man, most of them couldn't help but be abused, they were just obscenely overpowered. Take this formation and you get hundreds of free upgrades or free units? That shit could never be balanced.

The ones who "only" had crazy rules were at least interesting and could be balanced, but all the gripes with the "oh because I brought this formation I get to use 3000 points in this 2000 point game" were completely justified, lol.

• Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    That was pretty much just the marines formation with free transports and mechanicus with free upgrades, I think. Both were obscenely strong compared to all the neat fluffy stuff available as well, but it definitely poisoned the well with formations.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I hope lots of you are playing new Necromunda, because new Necromunda is rad. Desperately in need of an FAQ but still rad.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »
    Thank you all for your patience....just have a few more questions, this time melee related.

I have a Plagueburst Crawler chilling in the back and he gets charged by infantry. I have a Lord of Contagion nearby. They charge the PBC, and make it, but do not charge the LoC. I do a heroic intervention.

Can the enemy who charged then melee the LoC in the fight phase, despite them not charging the LoC, since he's now in melee?

Consolidation. If I charge into the enemy with two units and the first unit wipes them out, can the second consolidate?

Damnit..I had another melee question, but can't remember. Ah well.

Both are no.

A unit that charges can only attacks units it declared an attack against. They can of course declare a charge on both (assuming both are in 12”) but then they both overwatch.

In the second example if the unit is destroyed the other unit you control is no longer in combat. It can’t be selected to fight, and therefore can not consolidate.

You're wrong on the second part. Any unit within 1" OR that has charged can be activated.

For example, unit Z is within 1" of unit A, and units B and C charge unit Z. You activated unit B and wipe out unit Z. Unit A cannot activate, but unit C still can, getting a 3" pile in (Ending closer to the nearest enemy), swinging on any unit within 1" that they declared as a charge target, then another 3" consolidate (Ending closer to nearest enemy).

This is correct, for some reason I missed the charging part of the question.

And I have seen some crazy mixups with rules, even though this edition is the simplest it’s ever been.

I played an eldar opponent who put his army down, and it seemed a little small

“Eldar are points expensive” he said when I asked.

Turns out I was right and he had two wave serpants with aspect warriors inside he had placed in reserve ala 7th ed and hadn’t gotten out of the box yet.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Badablack wrote: »
    That was pretty much just the marines formation with free transports and mechanicus with free upgrades, I think. Both were obscenely strong compared to all the neat fluffy stuff available as well, but it definitely poisoned the well with formations.

I would say Necron decurion. "Oh, your already unkillable robots are even more unkillable?"

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Ugh yeah I forgot about the decurion, that was pretty awful too. I just wasn’t a fan of formations that decided your entire list for you.

But I also don’t feel bad for anyone that went out and spent hundreds of dollars making those formation lists either, and then bitched when they stopped working in 8th. Did anyone think that was just going to be the norm going forward and never change? GW can barely keep one unit’s rules the same between editions.

• Options
    Finally, Mortarion's back in stock.

• Options
    So, if I take a Gnarlmaw in a fortification Detachment.

That’s a Nurgle Daemon Detachment and unlocks the strategems right?

• Options
    Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    I put together that triple heavy flamer Dreadnought I mentioned awhile back. I cut the Lasguns off the arm and used pieces from a Flamestorm cannon. I figured it would pass as a Twin Linked Heavy Flamer.

I tried him out in a game Saturday, super fun. Certainly not a competitive unit, but I got to throw lots of flamer attacks so it made me happy. I also got to buff his attack with Flamecraft, so that was even more fun.

S5MEI6G.jpg

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    Shuttle him around in a stormraven!

• Options
    Norgoth wrote: »
    So, if I take a Gnarlmaw in a fortification Detachment.

That’s a Nurgle Daemon Detachment and unlocks the strategems right?

Looks like it, yeah.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Dang, so I think this has been my longest break from the thread since I started posting in it around 2005? :lol:

Wait.

Have I really been talking about Warhams on PA for 13 years? :bigfrown:

Anyway, things have been busy and my hobby enthusiasm has been thin. It doesn't help that my awesome PA gaming bros are all out around Washington DC, and I'm in the midwest now. I don't suppose anyone else in the thread has set roots down in the Chicago/NW suburb area of Illinois?
    I would say Necron decurion. "Oh, your already unkillable robots are even more unkillable?"
    Yeah, it was the Decurion and the SM 'Here's 500 points of transports free' formations that really mucked things up, because there were lots of cool and neat formations (maybe it was just the group I played with, but the 3 Land Raider formation along with the terminator formation was a lot of fun, because it gave you appropriately dead hard 1st company assaults, but the point sinks and low model counts meant that it didn't roflstomp anyone).
    IT'S FINALLY HERE
    uIASfW9l.jpg
    Wow, have we even gotten that clear of a look at any of the Gaunt's Ghosts characters before, much less Gaunt himself? IIRC the covers always tended to be kind of vague group shots, if not simple layouts of the Tanith 1st insignia on a black background.
    fray wrote: »
    Also, Black Library are looking for submissions and I'm definitely going to try and enter something this time. Somewhat hilariously they say they don't want graphic violence. I guess by graphic they mean beyond a certain point, but I'd be interested to have a conversation with them about exactly where that line is.
    I went to the Black Library seminar at Adepticon last year, and one of the things they talked about was 'instant no's' they see in things people try and submit, and that's one of them. It's not exactly a subtle line. Look at what's published, like in Gaunt's Ghosts. Someone can get slashed across the stomach with a chainsword, and they go down, trying to hold their guts in. Or someone's face vanishes in a spray of red as they catch a bolter shell in the eye. As I recall, from 'Master of Mankind,' there was one line about how a daemon, '-let the body that he was wearing like a meat puppet slough away.'

But getting more into the gore than that, like, tyranids over running a city is going to have disturbing imagery to it, but spending a paragraph detailing what happens to children over run by a ripper swarm, or focusing on what happens to individual babies when a chaos invasion starts revving up the human sacrifice machines, yeah, no, that's not what they're going for. Given the whole grimdarkness of the far future schtick, this kind of awful, f'd up shit happens all the time in setting, but GW doesn't have an interest in presenting gorn.

I'm really chuffed about the new submissions call from BL. I did the last one in 2015, and while a lot of people got their rejections pretty fast, mine didn't come until like the week before winners were going to be notified. So that made me feel pretty good. The BL writer who was speaking at Adepticon even vaguely remembered it, and as for why it didn't make the cut, he asked me what my 'elevator pitch' was for it. I didn't really have one and at best, it could've been 'Ultramarines fight off orks and learn a little bit more about themselves and humanity,' but that's not really an gripping, attention grabbing, or intriguing hook.

We'll see what I can propose by April this year. :biggrin:

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Gabriel, I hope to see your novel on a shelf one day. I'll buy it.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    frayfray Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I mean yeah, I get it, and personally I'm not particularly interested in that kind of stuff either. I just think it's funny because there's so much in the BL books that most people probably would consider pretty graphic, even if it doesn't go beyond a certain level of detail. But yeah I'm super excited about this submissions call. I've missed previous ones mostly due to my own laziness and lack of motivation but I'm definitely going to put something in this time, even if it probably won't lead to anything.

fray on
    "I told you," said Ford. "Eddies in the space-time continuum."
    "And this is his sofa, is it?" said Arthur.
  • Options
    I’ve got a pretty good hook for a story, and even if it’s rejected the motivation to actually get off your butt and write something again is all the reason anyone really needs.

I just got an Etsy order in today for a bunch of movement trays that look very nice from a guy named Mack the maker. Went with 5-mans so they’re easier to bunch up for deepstrikes, which is where most of my horde woes come from. Going to put in a mass order for flat magnets and do up all my hundreds of assorted termagants, genestealers, cultists and zombies.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular

Is it cheating if I hand out copies as CF Secret Santa presents? :lol:

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

Only if you fail to sign them.

• Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Does anyone know if standard SM heads will fit behind the Deathwatch Mk8 power armor torsos?
    In the fluff, old helmets don't fit the new armor. And the DW sprue helmet heads do look like they shaved off the ventilation triangle on the helmet when you compare it to a older version.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    see317 wrote: »

Only if you fail to sign them.

"Love and hugs, Dan Abnett."

Oh, wait, you mean sign them with MY name. Oops. :confused:

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    So they are looking for more tales in the various universes without the gore? understandable
    But what kind of stories? short ones? small novel ones? What?

• Options
    I thought we had already decided they wanted a bunch of Ork police procedurals.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    So call me crazy...but with the Dark Imperium DG sprue's seeming to go for 60-70 bucks as a set on ebay, and being able to flip the extra rule book as well...is there any logical reason grabbing Dark Imperium and selling that stuff second hand isn't the most cost effective way to jumpstart a Primaris force? You get 10 intercessors, 5 hellbasters, 3 inceptors, a captain, 2 lieutenants and an ancient for 30-60 bucks depending on what you paid for Dark Imperium and what you get for the DG sprue's and book. A single box of 10 intercessors is 50-60 bucks depending on retailer.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    I thought we had already decided they wanted a bunch of Ork police procedurals.

This is literally what I started working on for this.

Kop Boyz

Norgoth on
  • Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    So call me crazy...but with the Dark Imperium DG sprue's seeming to go for 60-70 bucks as a set on ebay, and being able to flip the extra rule book as well...is there any logical reason grabbing Dark Imperium and selling that stuff second hand isn't the most cost effective way to jumpstart a Primaris force? You get 10 intercessors, 5 hellbasters, 3 inceptors, a captain, 2 lieutenants and an ancient for 30-60 bucks depending on what you paid for Dark Imperium and what you get for the DG sprue's and book. A single box of 10 intercessors is 50-60 bucks depending on retailer.

The only real downside to this is you get Dark Imperium specific models instead of multi-part ones, so there aren't any weapon or posing options. Still though, it's pretty much the best option for starting a Space Marines army (assuming you want to go primarily... Primaris) since you'll get more models/points compared to something like the Start Collecting box and you'll end up paying significantly less after selling the DG sprues and the rulebook.

• Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    People around here got 2 or 3 boxes on release intending to get a bunch of primaris or death guard and sell the rest

A lot of them just ended up starting both armies :P

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    I hadn't thought of ebay until yesterday when I saw something about it on reddit.

Ended up getting myself a pair of foetid bloat drones for $40

Pretty excited for them to show up :biggrin:

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    Dark Imperium is definitely the best way to get started on either or both of those armies, and personally I don't mind the monopose models simply because they tend to be interesting, unique sculpts. You can always get a regular box to customize and add some unique elements to your army.

• Options
    It’s definitely reminiscent of the 6th edition starter set, except doubling down on the super nice Chaos sculpts. They just remembered to make the Imperials look interesting too this time.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Badablack wrote: »
    It’s definitely reminiscent of the 6th edition starter set, except doubling down on the super nice Chaos sculpts. They just remembered to make the Imperials look interesting too this time.

Unlike 6th though the Death Guard got a full new range of models.

Edit: I am not bitter, your bitter.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Khraul wrote: »
    I hadn't thought of ebay until yesterday when I saw something about it on reddit.

Ended up getting myself a pair of foetid bloat drones for $40

Pretty excited for them to show up :biggrin:

eBay is great, but the quality varies greatly. I've learned a lot and had some recent successful acquisitions and some not so good ones. Some use it to advertise their commission services, too, which is a pretty good idea.

Just got a Foul Blightspawn from it who looks fantastic.

Warhammer is doing a live Batrep, new Custodes versus Thousand Sons....and TSons have new Tzaangor and the Mutalith Vortex Beast.

Bizazedo on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »

The only real downside to this is you get Dark Imperium specific models instead of multi-part ones, so there aren't any weapon or posing options. Still though, it's pretty much the best option for starting a Space Marines army (assuming you want to go primarily... Primaris) since you'll get more models/points compared to something like the Start Collecting box and you'll end up paying significantly less after selling the DG sprues and the rulebook.

Hmm, so I guess the weapon sprue downside is that I can't customize the Captain and Lt's? Because for the troops most people run the default weapons on those anyway. There are some lists I've seen running assault bolters instead of the regular bolt rifles, but mostly people just run the bolt rifles.

As I get closer to having my initial set of Grey Knight's painted I'm planning my Ultramarines Primaris theme force and I'm just not finding a lot of reasons that grabbing Dark Imperium isn't the best place to start, given that at the very least the intercessors, hellblasters, captain and lieutenants are immediately useful for the list I'm putting together and I'm sure I'll find some use for the Ancient and inceptors.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
This discussion has been closed.