As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[2018 East Challenge Coin] Coins are arriving in your mailboxes!

• XenigmaXenigma Registered User regular
    Random lurker here. Just wanted to say I'd prefer a non-color option if possible to go with all the other East coins, and of the ideas posted so far I really like Scrabble for the game side and T-Rex with a scarf for the Boston side. (I'm not sure why discussion on the latter fell off. Not Boston-y enough?)

Pins? Pins!
    PAX East Attendee since 2011
  • TopherRocksTopherRocks Rockstar Beard Grower Kent, OH or Long Island, NYRegistered User regular
    I like the scrabble mockup way more than I thought I would.

• SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I won't lie, I am fully behind team Scrabble-Rex right now.

I'll throw together the voting forms once we have more mockups, I prefer voting on things we can see.

We still have time, so I'm in no rush to stop new ideas from coming in.

• MephistoN7MephistoN7 Sexual Tyrannosaurus Keene, NHRegistered User regular
    I really like Mockup 1, but that Scrabble mockup.... It's beautiful.

Give me Scrabble/Aquarium or Scrabble/T-rex and I will throw money at my computer until my arm is sore.

Also Scrabble Rex is going to be the name of my new alt in Skyrim on Switch.

erdub14zr3u2.png

• DrewsGFXDrewsGFX Registered User regular
    I’d also just like to weigh in on the whole ‘just having color’ thing. I personally am typically not a fan of the color coin, as I like each coin as just the metal through and through. I think it looks cleaner. I personally don’t think I’d get one if it was just the color one. I might be the minority with that opinion, but I’d like for the standard non-colored coin to be continued.

• XenigmaXenigma Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    DrewsGFX wrote: »
    I’d also just like to weigh in on the whole ‘just having color’ thing. I personally am typically not a fan of the color coin, as I like each coin as just the metal through and through. I think it looks cleaner. I personally don’t think I’d get one if it was just the color one. I might be the minority with that opinion, but I’d like for the standard non-colored coin to be continued.

I'm a bit less extreme: I'd probably get a coin even if it was only available in color because I enjoy the tradition of getting a coin each PAX (never mind that the '16 and '17 East color coins both look very good), but I'd greatly prefer one without to stay consistent with all the prior East coins going back to '11. If the numbers aren't there, so be it, but I'd like to at least see if it's plausible.

Xenigma on
    Pins? Pins!
    PAX East Attendee since 2011
    Honestly, East is probably still good for having regular and color coins, we had 3 runs last year. but both Unplugged and South ended up not selling ~30 of their minimum orders. I bought over 20 of the remaining unplugged coins to even that out a bit.
    But it's a worrying trend.

• nsanensane That guy with the face. Registered User regular
    I've been getting these coins every year I've gone to PAX and I'd really hate to break that tradition, but my friends and I just don't like the colored versions, so I really hope it doesn't go color only.

wK2XwhV.png
    PAX East 2018: Passes [X], Hotel [X], Airfare [], coin []
  • DrewsGFXDrewsGFX Registered User regular
    I know the BCEC itself has been used before back in 2015 I believe, but I always thought it was an iconic part of the city regardless, especially for PAX of course since, you know... it takes place there. Anyhow, quick little thing I threw together of a forward view of the BCEC. The older coin had a side view. Even if this gets shot down immediately, just trying to get more ideas out there.

2xgx6ble3ozw.png

That is exactly the image that was our starting point in 2015, before we found the image we ended up going with.

We, as a rule, don't reuse landmarks on the coins, there are so many places and things that deserve a chance.

• RenegadeTKRenegadeTK Central MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    I'm 100% digging the TRex, and the Scrabble side is sort of resonating, but I think the exploding pieces feels more...right.

• ironysparklesironysparkles Lowell, MARegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Sorry I disappeared, haven't been feeling well! My computer deleted all my mockup progress, so that's what I'll be working on tonight. Edit to share my attempt.

ype7d18ttc49.pngjagxl46eg6ag.png

ironysparkles on
    UyhWici.png
    I always forget our color is silver when I use that template haha. Is there a blank template in the right color around somewhere?

UyhWici.png
    Hey folks, I'll be putting up a voting form and stuff tomorrow evening, so any final ideas or mock-ups need to be in by then.

• SepiothSepioth Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    I will do a mock up of the T-Rex with a East 2018 Scarf using what I know about it anyway. I believe they are going with the Glitch theme for East like they did with with South just Red & Black.

Obviously there are no images of the scarf so I will have to use the blanket they showed for East already.
    PAX-East-2018-Blanket-1.jpg

I updated the Scrabble side to make the values for the word EAST say 2018.
    b7dmvdbk5ecv.jpg

Sepioth on
    4gzp0ml63v5i.png
    edited February 2018
    A few T-rex mocks..

Original Scarf...
    eev182tavwyc.png

Glitch Scarf... Honestly I'm not a fan. Lots of detail is lost and sure more would be lost in creating the coin. Also my Photoshop skills (or lack there of) shows in the image. :) (Maybe the coin company can do something better?
    ona7cdhrt21l.png

Ignore the coins edges as I did not update the date on the ring for the front of coin.

Sepioth on
    4gzp0ml63v5i.png
    Photoshop aside (listen, you did better than I ever could :biggrin: ), I prefer the original image anyways. While it's a nice thought to have him wear a genuine PAX scarf, something about sticking to the original style just fits better.

Now all that aside, actually seeing a mockup with the T-Rex.... Sold.

*in a Pickle Rick-esque tone* SCRABBLE REX!!

erdub14zr3u2.png

Voting Form!

It's two pages, as it's got a lot of pictures.

edited February 2018
    doublepost

SutibunRi on
    Voted! I like the t-rex!

UyhWici.png
    Vote-ted. Fingers crossed for the T-Rex!

edited February 2018
    35 responses, and some very clear winners, I think that'll do.

nt4rkss5fjtm.jpg

Team Scrabble-Rex has utterly crushed the opposition (Rex 23 votes, Scrabble 20), Game-splosion Noise earned a respectable 7 votes.. everything else, on both sides earned 3 or fewer votes.

And to settle the matter of just which Rex to use, I present to you
    Round 2

SutibunRi on
  • TopherRocksTopherRocks Rockstar Beard Grower Kent, OH or Long Island, NYRegistered User regular
    Tough call on which scarf design I liked better but I like the angle used for 1 and 4 best.

PAX, uh... finds a way....

The PAX scarf design still just doesn't do it for me, as I feel the detail will be lost in transition to the colorless landmark side. The 'Where's Waldo?' scarf feels right to me.

But let's be honest, the fact that the PAX East coin is rocking a dinosaur is beautiful enough as is.

erdub14zr3u2.png

• iltailta Registered User regular
    I think 5 would look best on the coin, coming towards the viewer and fitting well in that circular space without a lot of dead space. Plus, teeth.

I also lean towards original scarf. Agree with others that it isn’t quite gelling and probably won’t read. Kudos for the effort though!

• shdwcastershdwcaster South DakotaRegistered User regular
    My four-year-old daughter has become slightly obsessed with T-Rexes lately, to the point that she has a rather large stuffed one that she named "Chompus" who has taken one of the top three slots in her entourage of stuffed animals. I'm going have to get an extra coin just for her, because when she sees Chompus on the front of my PAX East coin, I'm never going to get it back.

I may need to purchase a couple more coins than I initially expressed interest in. Is there a way to modify my numbers?

The interest form was just to give me a heads up if there was massive interest, and as a list I could @ when the order form goes live, the numbers there have no bearing on how many you can actually order.

Results are pretty split at the moment, with 21 votes.
    I'm planning to end the voting on Wednesday so I can get the order off to Kiddercorp asap so that we'll all get our coins before East.

Order form will probably go up next week or early the week after.

Well, about 45 minutes until I cast my own vote and share the results.
    Right now there's a tie. So I'll be breaking that if nobody does before then.

And we have our winner, I decided to vote on the one that would be less work for me. :biggrin:
    tavgxv6zxm5t.jpg
    wxxjjnlrwvqg.png

• Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    I cannot wait to see this set in the palm of my hands. Thanks for putting this all together, @SutibunRi .

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
    Here is the T-Rex side with the correct dates
    gimlxqzmgbpb.png

4gzp0ml63v5i.png
    edited February 2018
    So.. I just remembered a thing..
    WaJC4GC.jpg
    How often is a picture of one's self riding a t-rex in context? Not nearly often enough to pass up this opportunity!

SutibunRi on
    Kiddercorp is working on their version of the design now, usually takes them a few days.
    More news when I have some!

edited February 2018
    I'm liking their idea to use brass metal on parts of the coin.. yes, I asked that the Rex be colored on the color coin, the scarf kinda demands it.
    The only thing I'm hesitant on is the black ring around the pac-folk
    fA4dN2K.jpg
    I want to reply to them asap, so please, tell me your thoughts folks!

SutibunRi on
  • ScoJoMoScoJoMo Registered User regular
    SutibunRi wrote: »
    I'm liking their idea to use brass metal on parts of the coin.. yes, I asked that the Rex be colored on the color coin, the scarf kinda demands it.
    The only thing I'm hesitant on is the black ring around the pac-folk
    fA4dN2K.jpg
    I want to reply to them asap, so please, tell me your thoughts folks!

LOVE the black ring.

I also love the black ring, but kinda wish it were also on the t-rex side too for the color coin. And I am so on board with the brass as a color!

My critique is that while I'm glad the t-rex background was cleaned up, it looks TOO bare now. All our other coins have some background in the Boston side. And since the shape of the t-rex keeps him from taking up the whole area, it's really screaming for background for me. Or maybe crop him closer to his arms to fill more space?

UyhWici.png
    Last years landmark had a cloud like texture on the top half, would that work? It'd be subtle, but seems like a quick fix.
    I can ask for a black ring on the Rex side too.

• ScoJoMoScoJoMo Registered User regular
    I also love the black ring, but kinda wish it were also on the t-rex side too for the color coin. And I am so on board with the brass as a color!

My critique is that while I'm glad the t-rex background was cleaned up, it looks TOO bare now. All our other coins have some background in the Boston side. And since the shape of the t-rex keeps him from taking up the whole area, it's really screaming for background for me. Or maybe crop him closer to his arms to fill more space?

May be too detailed for a coin, but possibly the front of the museum building in the background and the T-rex in the foreground?