As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] The fight starts August 14th

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    How important is it that I finish the main story stuff on my alts? My Warrior has finished the story stuff in Azsuna, Val'Sharah, Highmountain, and Stormheim. My Warlock has only finished Azsuna and Highmountain.

I have all of this stuff completed on my Rogue, both pathfinders, ilvl of 927. Can I skip all that stuff on my alts and just go straight to Argus? Will I still be able to do all the weapon skins and class mounts?

Not very. Early on it was a good way to get Level 800 gear from the various factions, but if you have one toon set as your faction-gatherer to meet the flight criteria you don't need to complete the story on your alts.

• kaidkaid Registered User regular
    If you have already seen all the zones storylines it is not important. You can do all the high level stuff without actually doing the pillars of creation. Doing them is a great way to get AP and rep but for alts it is unnecessary.

• TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Aaand done with grinding Augunite. Overall, with Augunite and 2 Leggos and some VERY lucky RF Titanforges and the weekly, got up to 934 ilvl.

Not too shabby. With that out of the way, guess that is M+ and raiding for this guy if I want to go further. And got Meatball incoming for my last follower on him (not bothering on my Shaman because Reghar is that useful).

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Looks like Blizzard is aware of the raid performance issues that were introduced with this week's patch. Good, everybody in the raid dropping to 5 frames really hurt our raid yesterday.

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Wanted to try and farm the Outlaw hidden artifact skin. Went into VoW and got to the first boss. Died. Realized it was on Mythic. Normal is a lot easier. Got the first boss on Mythic to almost half health though.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Just ran through EPL on my heirloomless druid, playing a bit in Feral, Guadian, and Balance. I do like the new levelling. I did have to occasionally self heal or use crowd control but it was just right for me honestly. May be different for other classes or level ranges, of course.

• CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    I really do like the fights in the dungeons, I think they're really tough and enjoyable, I just don't think the xp you get from doing them is anywhere near the effort you have to put in and the time needed to complete them.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Also this: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20760926709#1

They're fixing soloing old content.

• SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    I joined a random q at lvl 87 and it put me in a in progress Moshugan Palace with everything cleared except last boss. We wiped on him 3 times after at 5 minutes or so of fighting him as healer ran out of mana and tank died. The combination of his boosted hp plus nonavoidable dmg that fight is too much now. Then group disbanded.

steam_sig.png
    edited January 2018
    3clipse wrote: »

Oh thank God.

Anyways. Our guild barely got H Portal Keeper down last week, and a few tries of that new fun bug where the Felstone Barrage stays clipping (today it does it for TWO of them) was enough to say "fuck it" and just clear Normal.

What a shitshow of a week. Not 7.2 bad, but close.

TryCatcher on
  • ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    With that my only issue with the patch has been resolved.

• hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular

Cataclysm's old enough that it's not a problem?

Spent the night doing LFRs of Antorus and a buncha other raids. It's interesting to compare these raids with my raids of yore. They're a lot more complicated - in that there are many mechanics and many phases jammed into the same raid that often interact with each other - but there definitely aren't the complex encounters of yore like Razorgore or Horsemen that involved a ton of coordination in the raid and assigning (a lot of) specific individuals to specific tasks. I see they've also lightened up on the, "Everybody must deal with this perfectly or they'll wipe the raid," mechanic. Not entirely, but a bit.

Kinda want to see some more of these raids on normal and heroic difficulties, but yaddayadda know all the fights link your aotc waitlist yaddayadda anxiety.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I did an utgarde pinnacle on my baby mage and was surprised at how highly it was tuned; it wasn't some big challenge, but enough to keep people paying attention

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »
    I see they've also lightened up on the, "Everybody must deal with this perfectly or they'll wipe the raid," mechanic. Not entirely, but a bit.

Those mechanics very much exist, they're just not tuned tightly enough in LFR to actually behave that way in reality. In Mythic, one person absolutely can wipe the raid.

• ThorbanThorban Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    I see they've also lightened up on the, "Everybody must deal with this perfectly or they'll wipe the raid," mechanic. Not entirely, but a bit.

Those mechanics very much exist, they're just not tuned tightly enough in LFR to actually behave that way in reality. In Mythic, one person absolutely can wipe the raid.

And the LFR fights can be missing huge chunks of the fight. Best/worst example is The Desolate Host on LFR doesn't have The Desolate Host.

• CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Kinda want to see some more of these raids on normal and heroic difficulties, but yaddayadda know all the fights link your aotc waitlist yaddayadda anxiety.

do we have enough people to get a normal/learning the raids group going one day a week? i'd be interested in running through all the old raids on normal at least, just to see the encounters and stuff. If we have people that want to do it, I can do any role on Horde, and heals and dps on Alliance.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
    Taking 9 attempts on Mythic Imonar because of the FPS lag, when it's been a oneshot farm boss for 4 weeks.

Feels good.

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Ha well I just got my Paladin to WoD content and bought a bunch of XP potions because fuck WoD content.

Now I guess its going to take LONGER (90-100 already felt like a million years because WoD is awful) and my XP potions are most likely gone?

Good good. Glad.

Is it true heirlooms also got tuned down? If so...thats uh a huge waste of time/money on my part.

Bucketman wrote: »
    Is it true heirlooms also got tuned down? If so...thats uh a huge waste of time/money on my part.

Yeah heirlooms seem to be no better than using items you get at that level, the only benefit is the +xp %.

steam_sig.png
    Ha well I just got my Paladin to WoD content and bought a bunch of XP potions because fuck WoD content.

Now I guess its going to take LONGER (90-100 already felt like a million years because WoD is awful) and my XP potions are most likely gone?

Good good. Glad.

they didn't touch XP scaling above 90.

Good good. Glad.

They got rid of xp pots though, iirc. As in, they turned into gray items that vendor for a few gold. And they used to sell on ah for like 5k hold each. And @Bucketman just bought a bunch of them before the patch.

steam_sig.png
    Well at least I can still try and whiz through WoD...though my heirlooms are gonna suck now.

• Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Smrtnik wrote: »

Yeah heirlooms seem to be no better than using items you get at that level, the only benefit is the +xp %.

I don't believe this is a 7.3.5 change. I just leveled 1-110 before this and noticed that heirlooms simply drop off after a certain level threshold around Cataclysm. They go from being completely overpowered to simply being items that are up-to-date "blues" of their given level.

I was curious to see if 7.3.5 really nerfed them though so I tried to compare a 1-60 heirloom item with other items of a similar level. This quest reward BRD hat is about 33% weaker compared to the heirloom at the same power level. This will continue for a couple expansions after which they balance out.

Heirlooms seem the same. I think that they balanced heirlooms to be really strong when they were released with/around Cataclysm. When they expanded the system with heirloom upgrades they clearly probably just copied dungeon drops for speed's sake... or the designer didn't realize heirlooms were "supposed to be" better than blues. Who knows?

Anyways a blue item that always keeps up-to-date with your level and gives you bonus experience is pretty darn great while leveling. I think that the heirlooms that don't give bonus experience are probably the closest to being "wasted gold" but otherwise they're a good investment.

Corp.Shephard on
  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    While heirlooms are only equivalent to equal tier gear, remember they auto upgrade every time you level, which regular gear doesn't do. So you stay at peak performance. The +XP is also really nice. I think a full set is like +50% xp, and I think that applies to quests (can't remember), which rested doesn't.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    heirlooms have always kinda worked that way; they're basically equivalent to current-level blue items, but stuff at (say) level 20 is tuned for people who're wearing greens if they're wearing gear at all. The later expansions throw blue quest rewards at you a lot more frequently and you don't level as fast, so the gap between heirlooms and whatever you'd have from leveling shrinks.

the weapons from garrosh I think are itemized a bit higher but I'd have to actually check and see whether that's right

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    Yeah I just logged into my paladin and my potions of higher learning, which is what I thought people meant by XP potions, still work, and my heirlooms have the exact same stats they did a few days ago

• ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited January 2018

Yeah, I've been having similar issues. I haven't been raiding much this tier because I'm feeling a bit burned out, and been playing other stuff, so I'm a bit further behind than usual (last two tiers I had AoTC before the 4th LFR wing opened). I want to get the H Argus mount before the next expansion but...I just can't force myself to care enough. Maybe I should just clean out my bank and buy AotC and just put it out of my mind.
    Smrtnik wrote: »

Good good. Glad.

They got rid of xp pots though, iirc. As in, they turned into gray items that vendor for a few gold. And they used to sell on ah for like 5k hold each. And @Bucketman just bought a bunch of them before the patch.

Wait what? I had two of them I was hanging on to for my rogue some day. If I knew they would do that, I would have sold them. This sucks.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Not simply pulling everything within sight all at once seems like it's gonna be a hard hill for people to get over in the leveling dungeons.

And oh how convenient it was for Sargeras to have stabbed one of the most barren and isolated zones in all of WoW.

RT800 on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Heirlooms not having baller stats anymore is kind of lame

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

Cataclysm's old enough that it's not a problem?

Spent the night doing LFRs of Antorus and a buncha other raids. It's interesting to compare these raids with my raids of yore. They're a lot more complicated - in that there are many mechanics and many phases jammed into the same raid that often interact with each other - but there definitely aren't the complex encounters of yore like Razorgore or Horsemen that involved a ton of coordination in the raid and assigning (a lot of) specific individuals to specific tasks. I see they've also lightened up on the, "Everybody must deal with this perfectly or they'll wipe the raid," mechanic. Not entirely, but a bit.

Cataclysm and below have the damage multiplier for max level players turned on. MoP and above don't, which is why people are seeing issues in MoP and WoD raids.

edited January 2018
    It's an older site, but I found a raid group through OpenRaid. Group I am in has a pretty serious set of rules: Don't link meters and if you call someone else out, they remove you. Has been great. Got to see all of Normal ToS (only started again a few months ago) and I am in their Heroic group now working our way through the first half of Heroic. I still pug occasionally, but it's nice to have a regular group where you don't have to deal with the "Link me your Mythic achievement to run Normal" BS.

Edit: Do occasionally find some good Pugs, though. Had one even send me a PM and thank me for joining after only being able to stick around for one boss last night.

am0n on
    Dunno about the "not calling people out", probably because PuGs aren't the best for constructive criticism, but linking meters on a raid does makes you a douche. Performance is best addressed with logs, and is always the guy that "doesn't have a damage meter" that asks for meters where oh, look, he's on top and "carrying the raid" with his "Big Dick DPS".

Yeah my guild's rule informal rule is that we only talk about meters in a casual context (e.g. there's a Windwalker who's slowly catching up to me in damage and he's excited about it). The only person who will seriously call out low DPS is the raid leader.

It's usually not an issue, though. We're a very casual guild (our current progression is heroic Coven which is farm content from over a month ago for serious guilds) so DPS rarely holds us back.

edited January 2018
    The only person who will seriously call out low DPS is the raid leader.

This happens with my pug. The rule if the general fodder shouldn't be calling people out. The RL will reach out to people, individually and personally, if after review they feel they have some area to improve. They'll also urge them to reach out to someone else in the raid they think could be a good mentor.

Edit: Also, I use the word Pug, but it's not entirely a pug. Every week is probably 90% the same people. It's just cross server.

am0n on
  • slurpeepoopslurpeepoop Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I came back to see how the new leveling turned out. I was excited for the scaled leveling, despite hating and completely disagreeing with the reason they implemented it.

Heirloom stats have been nerfed quite a bit. They don't have any stats at all on them (except the +xp) until level 3-4, and they slowly, slowly gain an additional +1 to a stat every 2-4 levels. The stats you had at level 1 before the patch are now the stats you have at around level 12-14. I am solidly in the "meh" camp about this, because at the lower levels (up to at least Cata-Panda levels) the stats really don't make that big of a difference, and you'd 1-shot everything anyway, so no big deal.

However, I feel the reason that they nerfed heirlooms goes directly against the entire reason of the heirlooms' existence, and further, I'm concerned about the upcoming second squish of stats and ilvl. I would have been perfectly happy with the current stats on heirlooms if this is where they ended up after the upcoming squish, but I'm worried that the squish will essentially make heirlooms worthless considering the sole purpose of their introduction was to give veterans a means to quickly level alts.

This just seems like one way Blizz is trying to take away people's ability to speed through content to get alts to end content, but more on that later.

Bad guys' hp have been raised by quite a bit. Like, 2-5 times their previous amount. Blizz says they did this under the guise of "we want to make fights more engaging and challenging", but they didn't seem to raise enemies' damage. You can still collect a group of 5-8 guys and slowly whittle them down, but the danger only comes from their ability to attack you repeatedly instead of their chance to hit you once before you blow through them. If you're playing a healing or tanking class (or learn an aoe ability), the gameplay is the exact same, it just takes a lot longer to kill groups of mobs. To me, this adds absolutely nothing to the game beyond an additional timesink to force more time spent to accomplish the same goal and collect the same reward. There's no additional mechanics to make fights feel more challenging or engrossing. You just have to hit a mob 3-4 times instead of just once for the same result.

Again, to me, this seems like another way Blizz is trying to take away people's ability to speed through content.

Leveling takes longer due to the added amount of xp you need to level. It grows by quite a bit, and the higher level you get to, the more you need to level. We're talking easily double or more once you get past the lower initial levels. Yes, you cut down on travel time since you don't have to do two quest hub's 5 quests, then have to move on to another zone, but really, it doesn't equalize out. Since you're always getting at-level xp froim bad guys and from turning in rewards, this further mitigates some of the changes, but overall, this seems like one more timesink for the sake of adding another timesink.

I don't even want to start ranting about the mandatory personal loot in dungeons. They just effectively killed transmog and gold runs in dungeons. There is absolutely no reason to implement this beyond a straight middle finger to players to make transmog runs take 10 times longer and require multiple characters to acquire the same amount of loot.

Overall, I am horribly disappointed with the changes. I personally feel all of these changes are solely to make leveling take longer to get people (especially veterans) to spend the $60 on the character boost in store to get their alts (or if their guild needs a healer) to max level. I don't get the sense of excitement and wonder of fighting a challenging and engaging battle at all. It's literally the exact same, but it takes longer. I can pull entire camps like I've always done but it takes 3 times the amount of time to kill them. The feeling I do get the entire time I'm leveling is a Blizzard and/or Activision exec rubbing his hands together and telling me "Hey, wouldn't it just be easier for you to get a boost? This is taking soooo long, and your time would be better spent gearing your boosted guy at endgame! Save your time and get a boost!".

Either way, it works out for Blizzard. Leveling takes longer, and the extra time we're spending to level is time not spent complaining there's nothing to do and unsubscribing. If we boost, gear up, and get bored, Blizz got the equivalent of 4 months' of subscription time, so they're happy. I feel this entire patch was the first of a few stopgaps between releases of the last raid tier and the xpac release to keep people from unsubbing until the xpac.

Step one: Get people to try the new leveling until they realize that all the new timesinks make the game a boring, unengaging slog instead of the boring, unengaging less of a slog it once was. I would bet money that most the people that are enjoying the novelty of the new leveling process, seeing the sights, and reading all the quest text now will be complaining in a month. Once they get that experience, most people will want to go back to the fast, 1-shot experience we're used to to get those alts up to max for the next xpac. Blizz knows this, which is why they've designed the entire game and made every single decision around speeding players to endgame their focus for over 10 years.

Step two a month or two later: "Hey guys! Subraces! Do the leveling process you're now bored of again, only this time, your Tauren has moose horns! Your elf and Draenei glow in the dark! We know you'll do it because subrace transmogs! Stay subscribed!"

Step three a couple of months after that: "Hey guys, we've heard your feedback about leveling. There was a bug around making xp too much to level and mobs' hp too high, and we're being super cereal, it wasn't part of our design from the start at all, so we're bringing it back down to just a little higher than it was before the patch, but just enough so you'll feel validated and want to level another character to see how different it is. Now's your chance to get those other subraces ready for the BfA!"

Step four a few months after that: Release of BfA.

Every expansion since Lich King, Blizzard has spent over a year from the release of the last raid tier to the next xpac content-free, causing many people to unsub during the downtime. This is just a ploy to keep players on the hook long enough to keep them subbed throughout the last raid tier to the release of the next xpac. Instead of new content, we're being fed the same content, only at a slower rate.

Yes, I know this whole post is cynical and sounds like an old man yelling at clouds and telling kids to get off his lawn. Despite the tone of this post, I love leveling. I have 15+ guys at 110, and did Loremaster before Cata, then went back after Cata and did Loremaster again. I love reading the quest text and lore, and never had an issue going back to do hundreds of gray quests to read the lore. The reward for me was to get as much of the story as possible. I just feel all the changes added nothing for players and only offer less reward for more effort from the players. It feels inferior to what the game offered a couple of days ago.

slurpeepoop on
    edited January 2018
    Ok, got arsed to do the epilogue. Without too much spoilers, I did like Cold War Azurite Arms Race as the setting for BFA and those cinematics are impressive.

TryCatcher on
  • hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Yeah my guild's rule informal rule is that we only talk about meters in a casual context (e.g. there's a Windwalker who's slowly catching up to me in damage and he's excited about it). The only person who will seriously call out low DPS is the raid leader.

It's usually not an issue, though. We're a very casual guild (our current progression is heroic Coven which is farm content from over a month ago for serious guilds) so DPS rarely holds us back.

My LFRs did have problems with DPS on Argus though. Went berserk at least once on both my characters running it. There were definitely some laggards new to the fight (i.e. not rezzing for a long time on Argus).

OTOH, we eventually made it through in each LFR group without kicking low DPS people. (Though we did kick AFKers.) So some of that might have just been not knowing the fight and dying early. (Also, people lovvve to fuck up the cones.)

Pugged final LFR wing on my Monk, on Aggramar forgot that I saw on the dungeon journal that Foe Rend isn't there so got kicked out of the platform. Is weird.

Argus, no major issue. They only removed the patches on the ground of phase 1, so is overall pretty simple if everybody knows the fight. As simple as typing "go to the tree and rez there" while the RP is going on.

This discussion has been closed.