As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Painting Miniatures] vs the unending tide of grey plastic

• manjimanji Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    obliterator conversion WIP

DlneZtv.jpg?2

RtTnn98.jpg?1

needs a bit of cleaning up, but most of the way there.

any suggestions for the arms? i was thinking some kinda flayed flesh affair, which i assume is some bloody reds and some flesh coloured drybrushing.

manji on
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    For a second I missed the the head in the first picture because I scrolled down a bit too far and thought the belly was the head with a helmet and a vision slit. It looked real cute.

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Asher wrote: »
    qpKjAT7.jpg?1
    The M8 Grizzly Assault Walker. A colossal disappointment in nearly every game, which is a shame because its my favourite K47 model and the model that got me interested in the game in the first place.

Why does he have a plunger stuck to his face?

started putting together the Elf Union team for Blood Bowl. The kit is definetively more flexible that the Orcs and humans. There are a few weird design choices though.

The left thrower arm is made to fit with the thrower/catcher shoulder pads not with the other pads
    The male torso fronts don't fit on the two torsos for the female torsos.
    The Blitzer has a different belt buckle than the rest of the sculpts that only fits on one of the torsos.

These things can be converted with a little amount of work or ignored in case the the belt buckle but especially the torso thing is weird because I can't see a single reason why the different fronts don't use the same fit.

Otherwise faces, heads, and arms seem to be completely interchangable. Legs only work in single combinations as far as I can tell. Thrower/catcher, lineelf, and Blitzer shoulder pads seem to be interchangeable except for the singe arm mentioned above.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    qpKjAT7.jpg?1
    The M8 Grizzly Assault Walker. A colossal disappointment in nearly every game, which is a shame because its my favourite K47 model and the model that got me interested in the game in the first place.

The fight with the Daleks didn't go according to either sides plan.

• AsherAsher Registered User regular
    qpKjAT7.jpg?1

Plunger? PLUNGER?! Son that is a god damn exceptional american engineered weapon of war, the 75mm Anti-Tank gun!

...Actually a plunger would probably be more effective. :P

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    40K’s cartoonishly exaggerated weapons have ruined me. I can’t look at regular guns and non-cavernous tank barrels without wondering what’s wrong with these weapons for ants.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
    Yeah its kinda funny. I've been on this WWII tangent for a bit and I still can't get over how the guns looks like tiny sticks and how small a lot of the vehicles are. A Sherman is really only Land Speeder sized!

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I did a Aragorn! Well, I think still going by Strider at this point (in the films, at least).

3hJl3h6l.jpg

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Strider’s colors are blue with red accents, though

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
  • MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    What? I'm pretty sure it's shades of red with black accents.
    latest?cb=20150713223510&path-prefix=pl

Mayday on
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Dashing-rogue-but-king-in-diguise Strider in a dirty green overcoat is from 1959.

Your weeb Strider was 30 years too late.

• McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    You're all wrong. Strider's colours are shades of beige with orange accents.
    530-90_8766a.jpg

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
    McGibs wrote: »
    You're all wrong. Strider's colours are shades of beige with orange accents.
    530-90_8766a.jpg

Actually you are right.
    silt_strider_by_alecia91-d47m0x7.jpg

I think at this point we can all agree that Striders come in many colours.
    15438670756_0d0659105a_b.jpg

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    And with Boromir finished, that's the whole Fellowship. Only took 17 years.
    4Ae9U67l.jpg

Once I get them sealed and foliage added to the bases maybe I'll take a real picture.

• DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Just finished rewatching the hobbit movies last night and man, those action scenes are way more video game-y than i remember.
    then i check online and apparently all the fun stuff is FW, which is a shame because i would 100% be buying some plastic dwarf ram riders right now

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
    Now you just need to paint some elaborate One Ring runes around all the bases.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Badablack wrote: »
    Now you just need to paint some elaborate One Ring runes around all the bases.

Oh that’s good get a micron pen and make elvish comments on their inevitable fate like “doomed to die alone” for Gandalf or “doomed to a cursed life” for Frodo.
    Boromir’s is just “ha ha ha” repeated all the way around.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    Hey there we go:
    yZVWpZhh.jpg

Gollum wasn’t in the fellowship of the ring. He was a roadie of the ring at best.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    What? No Gollum?

Hiding behind the pillar, naturally.

• DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    Hey, @Dr_Keenbean is that for the skirmish level game for the hobbit ? looking good non the less.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I finished painting a 40K model last night, and was super proud of myself because I worked really hard on it and I think I did a pretty good job.

I deployed it in a game today and it was destroyed turn 1 before I could even move it :rotate:

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I'm painting scouts still. I'm taking it slow, because I'm feeling a little burnt out on painting right now. I will finish this company, but it's gonna take some time.

Anyway, almost finished with the third model and I'm liking them so far. Yes, the sculpt is older, but I think they look pretty good painted up. I startes on them last Friday, worked on them last Saturday and Sunday, and lasr night and tonight.

I'm only doing the 5 snipers so far. After these, I have 5 bolter scouts I'll paint.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    I finished painting a 40K model last night, and was super proud of myself because I worked really hard on it and I think I did a pretty good job.

I deployed it in a game today and it was destroyed turn 1 before I could even move it :rotate:

No see that’s the first rule of 40k. Working as intended.

Draeven wrote: »
    Hey, @Dr_Keenbean is that for the skirmish level game for the hobbit ? looking good non the less.

Sure is. They're in the process of rebranding it to Middle Earth Strategy Battle Game which will include both LOTR and The Hobbit. They just released a supplement (Battle Companies) that lets you play with like 5-15 models and they gain experience and skills as you play like Necromunda or Mordheim. It's super fun.

• jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    Gollum wasn’t in the fellowship of the ring. He was a roadie of the ring at best.

What? He was way into the ring before it was cool.

Ww8FAMg.jpg
    jammu wrote: »

What? He was way into the ring before it was cool.

Bah, he's just an Isildur copy cat wannabee

• KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    This photo is from one of the poxwalker paints on the warhammer community site...

How do I get the black bone effect? Is it white/grey with a dark wash or black/dark reaper blue with light highlights? I'm not really sure.

0blncgssv0xy.png

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    That looks like black/dark grey with grey highlights

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Thanks!

I want to duplicate that affect on a few different pieces, but I wanted to be sure before I got started.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    Sick of buiding.

Today I paint something.

Strigoi Swarmlord MkII, I choose you!

z0vwz0vgzbzh.jpg

Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Now I see the head on the body I am so copying it as I liked the look of the 2000 era hive tyrant just not how it turned out

• KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Now I see the head on the body I am so copying it as I liked the look of the 2000 era hive tyrant just not how it turned out

They had the right idea at the time, but the execution was off. It looked more awkward than intimidating.

n7b61isz20bs.jpg

The FW one was cool though.

Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    The original one is too upright for that giant head crest. The empty space behind it makes it look like an odd headdress. The bulky carapace and chimneys behind Kneel's gives much better balance.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    Did another Infinity table. Because 3 days before a tournament with only a single day available to build and paint is the perfect time to start a table.

xUQlvwq.jpg

Renewed my fruitful partnership with FatDamien to smash this badboy out in 12 hrs work time-ish. Once again everything on the table is by Miniature Scenery because we've been mates with the owner for ever and he does nice things for us like custom design bits we need and construct everything properly beforehand. It also means that if we need more stuff he can vanish into his shed and return with whatever we need freshly cut.

4ua9G3i.jpg

Very middle eastern, Haqqislam themed specifically. We've tried to make the mosque really stand out as a centre feature for the table.

3poT4nq.jpg

One side is devoted to a little market, stalls pending.

xAqhMi5.jpg

Can you hear the call to prayer?

FUmYTdN.jpg

Even an opportunity of forbidden delights ...

uLFRBLY.jpg

Compared to the last few tables we've done we've tried to keep this one warm, clean and inviting. There's still graffiti and posters and discarded junk, but it's a lot more wholesome and naturalistic than the Bladrunner/Deus Ex feel of Hengshau, the slums of Old Mar Sara or the cold Sci Fi look of Petricore Station.

ZHCo1lp.jpg

Check out the little details and freehand Damien added to spice it up.

This discussion has been closed.