As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Assassin's Creed] To fight the horde, sing and cry

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    Wish it made chocobo sounds instead of gurgling like a camel.

I wish it was an actual Chocobo instead of a cosplay camel.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Also Insomnia instead of Egypt

And Noctis instead of...

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I always loved when you'd go avenge a player and it would be an animal. I have those feels new player.

I also managed to puzzle out there was an ambush coming strictly because there was a corpse next to a site no one would have randomly died at.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I always loved when you'd go avenge a player and it would be an animal. I have those feels new player.

I also managed to puzzle out there was an ambush coming strictly because there was a corpse next to a site no one would have randomly died at.

My favourites were the people that had died in the middle of enemy bases.

By the time I'd found their body I'd already stealth killed the entire base and just had to go find the right corpses to confirm the kills.

PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • SaarSaar Registered User regular
    I wish there were an option to go into the animus and relive the last minutes of the avenged players life.

• Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    I died to a fuckin' cobra at level 25. I'm bad at this game.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Did some more of the story.
    Just got to Cleopatra. I was dubious when it said I killed my first target in that first fight, expecting a short game. Then another, then after meeting Aya, she's like 'yeah I killed two others' and I thought 'huh, there's only 1 target left after a few missions? I guess they will drag this one guy ou... nope, murdered in a bathhouse. What are they doing for the rest of the game?'. Then I meet Cleopatra and it was a misdirect and I killed the wrong (but still right) guy and there's more targets. Now I'm excited again.

The way it seems it's going, if they do a direct sequel like they did with Brotherhood/Revelations, I hope we get to play as Aya considering the modern day woman dropped her DNA into the animus.

I've been spending time fighting and I think I've settled on dual swords as my preferred weapon, though I still vastly prefer to stealth kill guys after thinning out the sentries with a predator bow.

One aspect that I really appreciated with the kills is they gave you back open world to it. Aside from a couple specific times, you could handle them as you saw fit.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Yeah, when I did the first assassination I recognised it from one of the early video previews they did.
    Aside from the fact that they were using a high levelled Bayek (he had the double takedown and guided predator arrow upgrades) and it was in the starter area, I approached it entirely differently. In the video they went in the front door, sneaking and killing guards, over the roof, and dropped into combat with the guards, and then fired a guided arrow to kill the target.

I went in behind the building where there were no guards at all, got onto the roof, found him and air assassinated him. No fights, no alerts, just snuck in and killed him. I would have made a really boring preview though.

-Loki- on
  • danxdanx Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Did some more of the story.
    Just got to Cleopatra. I was dubious when it said I killed my first target in that first fight, expecting a short game. Then another, then after meeting Aya, she's like 'yeah I killed two others' and I thought 'huh, there's only 1 target left after a few missions? I guess they will drag this one guy ou... nope, murdered in a bathhouse. What are they doing for the rest of the game?'. Then I meet Cleopatra and it was a misdirect and I killed the wrong (but still right) guy and there's more targets. Now I'm excited again.

The way it seems it's going, if they do a direct sequel like they did with Brotherhood/Revelations, I hope we get to play as Aya considering the modern day woman dropped her DNA into the animus.

I've been spending time fighting and I think I've settled on dual swords as my preferred weapon, though I still vastly prefer to stealth kill guys after thinning out the sentries with a predator bow.

That bit turned me off a little.
    I was all ready for some Aya playtime and the game is like oh sorry, not now! Maybe later!

And then they went full sexy English accent for Cleopatra. :bigfrown:

Both of those slightly soured me on it but I keep playing hoping get to punch Claridas
    again! Once is not enough.

Is the Season Pass worth it? Looking at the map there’s some rather large chunks of land added through it?

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Is the Season Pass worth it? Looking at the map there’s some rather large chunks of land added through it?

The first DLC isn't out yet, but is supposed to be later this month, and is going to take place after the end of the game.

The second DLC is due out in March, and will add another zone. It's supernatural themed?

Found a rare Predator Bow that has flaming arrows.

Spent the next hour setting Phylatiki boats on fire and watching them leap into Crocodile infested water.

• danxdanx Registered User regular
    Those are fun until you are on a hay thatched roof on a mission and then you set your Bayek on fire trying to line up a shot.

edited January 2018
    I took out my second Phylake, the asshole walking around Alexandria and the lake. Tried the tactic I used against Ptolemys Fist, which was just use a Spear and jab him any time he gets close, but The Outsider just effortlessly parries anything and then his sword combo is really hard to dodge out of and he'll knock half your health off in one burst. I tried dodging around him but he's really fast, so I tried a different tactic.

First up, I nailed him with 9 headshots from my legendary predator bow. Then I hit him with all 33 shots from my light bow. Then I hit him with 9 firebombs. Swapped to my spear to prepare for his onslaught (he had one notch of health left) and he collapsed dead mid charge. Guess the burning damage finally brought him down.

The sword he drops is nice. Bonus chance to critical hit and bonus damage on critical hit really shreds through enemies, and healing on each kill is super handy when there's mooks around to act as little health packs.

-Loki- on
    I accidentally sold my super rare gold bow from one Phylake that was a warrior bow that gave you health on every hit.

But then I found out that actually killing elephants is quicker when you're using melee power attacks on them than plinking them with arrows.

Anyway, I agree that the best tactic for all Phylakes is to fill them with predator arrows before doing anything else. Although my favorite two kills were sneaking up while they were asleep and just fucking stabbing them to death (well okay, one only lost half his health from it, but it was a GOOD WAY to open the fight).

Another Phylake tip: sleep darts! :twisted:

I've never figured out if I like warrior bows. I liked how in the trailer he used one to fire 5 arrows in a flat spread and drop 5 guys, but when I got one in game, it was basically just a shotgun and eeehhh.

• Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Beat the game, I have just the stone circles quest left, just the one to find but everything else is done. Such a fantastic game.

• jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    I killed every Phylake from horseback. I don't know if I even took damage.

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I've never figured out if I like warrior bows. I liked how in the trailer he used one to fire 5 arrows in a flat spread and drop 5 guys, but when I got one in game, it was basically just a shotgun and eeehhh.

I used them the 2 times I needed to kill a bird. That's about it though, light bows for life.

• MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I accidentally sold my super rare gold bow from one Phylake that was a warrior bow that gave you health on every hit.

But then I found out that actually killing elephants is quicker when you're using melee power attacks on them than plinking them with arrows.

Anyway, I agree that the best tactic for all Phylakes is to fill them with predator arrows before doing anything else. Although my favorite two kills were sneaking up while they were asleep and just fucking stabbing them to death (well okay, one only lost half his health from it, but it was a GOOD WAY to open the fight).

Another Phylake tip: sleep darts! :twisted:

I think my general strategy was to start with a Stealth Attack and then just wail on them. By the time I was dealing with most of the Phylakes I'd already got used to the combat so I didn't really mind going toe to toe.

Also I had the legendary sword Mustapha's Blade from one of Reda's quest rewards (he is one of my favourite characters BTW). Gives you near instant charging on your heavy attack, which makes tower shields completely irrelevant for the most part.

Speaking of heal on hit bows, there's also a legendary Light Bow called 'Composite Bow' that has the same perk. It is super helpful when you come to kill the
    Elephants. Especially Qetesh and Resheph. Absolute god send, because that health will also heal you out of the 33% bars that you can otherwise get stuck in from damage

PSN: Holy-Promethium
    edited January 2018
    Saw for my next target I had to go into Faiyum, deep in the desert. Thinking I was going to see a pretty desolate area, I crested a mountain and got a huge vista of an Oasis with a huge lake with lots of boats. Looked amazing.

This game is really making me wonder why ancient Egypt is made out to just be desert in popular culture. It was obviously had pretty varied terrain.

-Loki- on
    Saw for my next target I had to go into Faiyum, deep in the desert. Thinking I was going to see a pretty desolate area, I created a mountain and got a huge vista of an Oasis with a huge lake with lots of boats. Looked amazing.

This game is really making me wonder why ancient Egypt is made out to just be desert in popular culture. It was obviously had pretty varied terrain.

Because the Pyramids and the Sphinx are in the desert, and so is the Valley of the Kings, and that's all people care about in Western popular culture, where the mummies are.

edited January 2018
    I'm at 29 hours played and only 42% completion.
    I've just reached the Crocodile in Faiyum. I mistakenly thought he was who I had to do next, noticed everyone in Faiyum was way higher level than me, and realized I had to do the Lizard in Memphis first.

This is some amazing value for dollars. I haven't had another AC game take me this long. The only other AC game I've wanted to take this long was Black Flag, but even that I completed around the 20 hour mark. When I was just tooling around Alexandria I though there wasn't much to do, just a few side quests and Papyrus in cities and the odd Outpost.

But as you start unlocking areas, there's just more and more and more to do. Initially I was disappointed with how easy some of it is (Papyrus are kinda easy to find, animal nests you just find the leader, Outposts you can stealth through pretty nicely). But the sheer quantity of things to do is impressive. I've actually held off buying The Hidden Ones simply because I'm probably not going to even get to it for another few weeks.

-Loki- on
    edited February 2018
    Okay, played some more and finished off the Crocodile quest line.
    The Arena felt a little rushed. The dialogue hinted that it took place over some time, possibly weeks. But it was over in a flash. I get that they didn't want you to get bogged down in that little part for too long, but I think some different dialogue would have helped.

However, the leadup to that. Wow. Killing Shadya felt like crossing a line it shouldn't have crossed. There's a lot of killing in this game (it's a game about an Assassin so that's expected) but I was expecting to jump onto a ship and save the girl. When the waypoint came into view and was underwater, I was hoping it was a bug. Then I dived in, and she's tied to a block, hanging in the water... The game actually shocked me with that. Going after the Gallic brothers I was as pissed off as Bayek. Going after the Crocodile I wasn't even careful. I just lodged a burning arrow in her head.

-Loki- on
    Okay, played some more and finished off the Crocodile quest line.
    The Arena felt a little rushed. The dialogue hinted that it took place over some time, possibly weeks. But it was over in a flash. I get that they didn't want you to get bogged down in that little part for too long, but I think some different dialogue would have helped.

However, the leadup to that. Wow. Killing Shadya felt like crossing a line it shouldn't have crossed. There's a lot of killing in this game (it's a game about an Assassin so that's expected) but I was expecting to jump onto a ship and save the girl. When the waypoint came into view and was underwater, I was hoping it was a bug. Then I dived in, and she's tied to a block, hanging in the water... The game actually shocked me with that. Going after the Gallic brothers I was as pissed off as Bayek. Going after the Crocodile I wasn't even careful. I just lodged a burning arrow in her head.

Yeah that part was pretty fucked up.

You don't expect precious little girl to be lethal weapon 2'd like that.

Then again there was another assassin target the coyote?

Who just wanted to bring her dead child back to life, which was shades of bayek as well.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

I got the Ezio collection, and I’ve been replaying those games, and they’re fine. But then I decided to restart Syndicate fresh, and I remember exactly why I loved it so much the first time through. I know it’s not everyone’s favourite AC game, but after playing it side by side with Brotherhood I’m now pretty prepared to say it’s definitely my favourite AC game. It has the best setting, the best characters, the best combat, and the best movement. The only downside to it is the Thames section, because Assassin’s Creed games and boats apparently just don’t mix at all for me.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Syndicate is definitely my favourite "assassins creed" game, but origins definitely gave me the freedom I didn't even know I wanted from the series. Syndicates city felt like the promise of a next gen city fulfilled tho, cos goddamn it was so Impressive, detailed, gorgeous and smooth performance

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Climbing hasn't been challenging since -maybe- AC3. I like Syndicate for story and setting, and even combat was mostly fun (though I dislike the leveled enemies). I haven't tried Origins yet but I long for the days when climbing was engaging and didn't feel automated.

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Climbing hasn't been challenging since -maybe- AC3. I like Syndicate for story and setting, and even combat was mostly fun (though I dislike the leveled enemies). I haven't tried Origins yet but I long for the days when climbing was engaging and didn't feel automated.

In Origins, it's literally automated so...

Yeah, I had heard as much. I know most folks don't care but that's a bummer for me. The climbing used to be really satisfying. Now it's that Uncharted "might as well be a cutscene where I hold up" and that's a shame. This is the OG hardcore parkour game series after all.

• ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    edited February 2018

I didn't mind the leveled enemies in Syndicate, because I so rarely actually fought them. I cleared the map almost entirely through stealth, making liberal use of smoke bombs when I was forced to fight.

I hated them in Origins, because a) I hated Origins' combat system, b) it felt like fights were a lot harder to avoid in Origins, and c) you basically need to actually care about gear in Origins, whereas in Syndicate I could use the starting weapons and outfit all the way to max level while clearing the map without any issues.

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »

I didn't mind the leveled enemies in Syndicate, because I so rarely actually fought them. I cleared the map almost entirely through stealth, making liberal use of smoke bombs when I was forced to fight.

I hated them in Origins, because a) I hated Origins' combat system, b) it felt like fights were a lot harder to avoid in Origins, and c) you basically need to actually care about gear in Origins, whereas in Syndicate I could use the starting weapons and outfit all the way to max level while clearing the map without any issues.
    I had that frustration in Origins at first, but I found some weapons I liked and just keep upgrading them via the blacksmith.

Yeah, I had heard as much. I know most folks don't care but that's a bummer for me. The climbing used to be really satisfying. Now it's that Uncharted "might as well be a cutscene where I hold up" and that's a shame. This is the OG hardcore parkour game series after all.

I appreciate that you can finally climb rock faces just about anywhere, though.

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I miss the Assassin's Tombs and Templar Lairs from the Ezio games. Those were great parkour challenges.

I didn't realise the climbing was considered challenging in other games? I've been playing from the first, and the most difficult I remember is maybe having progress stopped because there's no handhold in reach. That definitely happens still - it's stopped me climbing some of the taller structures in Origins as I dropped to other handholds to move around and find the 'path' up the structure. The progress since the first games has been smoothing out the experience once you find that path. It just doesn't happen as often anymore.

The only climbing that doesn't appear to have actual handholds anymore are cliff faces.
    Shadowhope wrote: »

I had that frustration in Origins at first, but I found some weapons I liked and just keep upgrading them via the blacksmith.

This is all I do. I found a few nice Legendary weapons I like the bonuses on and I just keep upgrading them. It's not like there's much else to spend your gold on.

Arteen wrote: »
    I miss the Assassin's Tombs and Templar Lairs from the Ezio games. Those were great parkour challenges.

I liked exploring the tombs in Origins!

edited February 2018
    In the Ezio games there were moments where climbing required very careful inputs and had defined handholds. Sometimes you'd miss and fall to your death because you forgot which jump to do. There was atleast some element of failure to be had. It's the same reason i hate Prince of Persia 08, it sacrifices the difficulty just a smidge too much for me.

Local H Jay on
    Prince of Persia 08 was a bit more about exploration than straight platforming... it also was about combat being a big deal every single time it occurred which, let's be honest, the Sands of Time trilogy did not do a great job of handling.

DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Prince of Persia 08 was a bit more about exploration than straight platforming... it also was about combat being a big deal every single time it occurred which, let's be honest, the Sands of Time trilogy did not do a great job of handling.

While I agree the combat was a lot better, I still prefer the controls and challenge of Sands of Time or it's sequels any day