As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Battlefield] - 2042 - Launches Nov 19th

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    Are any of the DLC unlockable weapons better than the base ones?

yes and no? I think the only one thats flatly better is 1 of the mgs.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    I tried playing this again, but man these weapon unlock challenges are grindingly slow and frustrating.

come play 4. we have had 5 or 6 fellows lately. and 4 is rock solid.

Sure thing. I'll reinstall it.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Are any of the DLC unlockable weapons better than the base ones?

yes and no? I think the only one thats flatly better is 1 of the mgs.

And depends on what you want to do. As an example, if you want to be a frontline medic, you're probably going to want that Federov Avtomat (either of the variants).

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    The 1900 double barreled shotgun is stupidly effective.

• Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    I finally managed to climb back up to a 50% win rate with nothing but solo queuing. I've begun to make more sense of things.

But wow, I can't decide which I'm worse at, sniping with a scope or without a scope. I'm a terrible shot but I'm just so addicted to the vision I can provide as a Scout.

XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    The 1900 double barreled shotgun is stupidly effective.

As is the weapon I hate the most, the Automatico.

Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I gave up on using scopes as a scout almost immediately, I just hate scopes.

• Options
    TorgaironTorgairon Registered User regular
    I've been playing since last weekend and have discovered that I'm only good with 1-shot weapons, i.e. snipers, shotguns and horse hooves. I can't find anything that really clicks with medic, support or SMG assault, but I have lots more DLC stuff to unlock.

• Options
    Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    Ugh, now I get to work on my 300 kill weapon unlocks. This is going to be rough.

Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPUrJ2PApqc

So, I guess somebody on youtube that pretty much leaked 100% accurate infor prior to BF1 is now leaking that Bad Company 3 is the next Battlefield game. It also sounds like EA might be backing away from the terrible lootbox progression from Star Wars, so that might be cool.

Dunno how I feel about the Vietnam setting (assuming this is all true). I did not enjoy the jungle maps in Battlefield: Vietnam, and I don't care for Endor in Battlefront either. Those forest maps feel too open to me. I do love me some Bad Company, though. Hopefully they keep that more comedic vibe in the game, but that might be tough to do with a Vietnam setting.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Skull2185 wrote: »

So, I guess somebody on youtube that pretty much leaked 100% accurate infor prior to BF1 is now leaking that Bad Company 3 is the next Battlefield game. It also sounds like EA might be backing away from the terrible lootbox progression from Star Wars, so that might be cool.

Dunno how I feel about the Vietnam setting (assuming this is all true). I did not enjoy the jungle maps in Battlefield: Vietnam, and I don't care for Endor in Battlefront either. Those forest maps feel too open to me. I do love me some Bad Company, though. Hopefully they keep that more comedic vibe in the game, but that might be tough to do with a Vietnam setting.

Bf4's weapon progression system - Perfect
    Tighter maps with less focus on all out war and more on infantry plus key armor - Perfect.

BF1 in retrospect lacks something. Been playing alot of four lately.

I dunno- im pretty hype to see what bc3 ends up.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    *snip*

Tighter maps with less focus on all out war and more on infantry plus key armor - Perfect.

Just gonna disagree with this one:

BF4s weapon progression system - pretty good
    BF: Hardline's weapon progression system - even better

Personally, I'd like to see a hybrid system where kills can auto-unlock attachments (late-edit: and class score can auto-unlock weapons)...or you can spend in-game money that accumulates from playing the game to unlock specific items.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    The guy who leaked it was the same one who did a Bf1 leak that was 90% accurate, from what people are piecing together from the last leak and this one the guy has a buddy who works at DICE in a low level position as the info he's got has been trickle down and never substantial chunks.

Also at the very least give credit to the actual guy who is leaking it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_J37XWsVog&feature=youtu.be

• Options
    They do give the guy credit in the video I posted.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular

The Vietnam War also had lots of urban combat. If true, I'm happy.

What I'm not happy about is seeing all the big BF YouTubers start making "wishlists" for the Next BF. They want there to be more reward for killing and less for support moves. I barely get ammo packs as it. And they hate repairing inside vehicles doesn't promote team play according to them, which I would agree with if I any ever repaired my tank for me in BF3 and 4. Everything needs to be geared towards them and their experience only.

• Options

What I'm not happy about is seeing all the big BF YouTubers start making "wishlists" for the Next BF. They want there to be more reward for killing and less for support moves. I barely get ammo packs as it. And they hate repairing inside vehicles doesn't promote team play according to them, which I would agree with if I any ever repaired my tank for me in BF3 and 4. Everything needs to be geared towards them and their experience only.

Just do what BF: Hardline does: let players interact with the ammo crate/pouch equipped support or first-aid crate/pouch medic to restock ammo or heal respectively. Bam, problem solved! I'm honestly disappointed that feature didn't get patched into BF4 and was completely dropped in BF1.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Another BFV would be great. The dlc for bc2 was just ok. That era deserves more detail than that dlc gave it.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    I just hope the class roles are more arcadey. It needs to contrast more with the more complex classes of BF4 and BF1. Im hoping for a more kind of newb friendly game style. I like both, but I miss Bad Company 2s simpler classes

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    Mulletude wrote: »
    Another BFV would be great. The dlc for bc2 was just ok. That era deserves more detail than that dlc gave it.

I hope we can pipe music out of the vehicles, too. I loved that feature.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »

Just do what BF: Hardline does: let players interact with the ammo crate/pouch equipped support or first-aid crate/pouch medic to restock ammo or heal respectively. Bam, problem solved! I'm honestly disappointed that feature didn't get patched into BF4 and was completely dropped in BF1.

Yeah but then you get supports/medics who don't even carry ammo/health.

• Options

Yeah but then you get supports/medics who don't even carry ammo/health.

Unfortunately, you can't fix stupid all of the time.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    BF:V was my first Battlefield game and BC2 is probably my second most played Battlefield so this is rekindling my interest in buying another Battlefield.

I'll be pretty disappointed if I cant drive around blasting tunes though (even though I have zero expectation to be able to do so).

• Options
    They do give the guy credit in the video I posted.

The issue isn't that he gives credit, it's more of the same thing as "Today's funniest vines!" videos where it's just a leech that's taking other peoples work and then going "oh yeah these people did this stuff but I because I said that I should get credit of all of this".

It's a youtube shill rehashing the same thing only to grab views rather than just putting up a 5 second video saying "details here" and linking to it.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Sighhhhhh I like Battlefield
    But I don't like EA anymore

I like Bad Company 1 and 2
    But I don't like EA anymore

Bad Company 3 would be so hyyyype
    But I don't like EA anymoooooore

But in seriousness if all this is true, then it would make some degree of sense in terms of PR and reshaping their public-facing image. The backlash they recieved at multiple levels was big, and announcing a new Bad Company title (or at least, using the Bad Company name) next would be well-timed to give people the impression that EA may not necessarily have given up on narrative driven games as part of their portfolio.

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    *snip*

Just gonna disagree with this one:

BF4s weapon progression system - pretty good
    BF: Hardline's weapon progression system - even better

Personally, I'd like to see a hybrid system where kills can auto-unlock attachments (late-edit: and class score can auto-unlock weapons)...or you can spend in-game money that accumulates from playing the game to unlock specific items.

heres the rub- BF4's progression forced you to learn a gun;s playstyle and characteristics before moving to the next. Hardline alllowed you to go to synthic find the 'best gun' for your style and always play that gun.

I like the idea of learning a weapon for the scant bit of xp it takes to get to the next one. And if you didnt like a guns feel or playstyle the older unlocks are there for you.

In that way it forces you to learn.

however- Your point has merit.

mojojoeo on
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    So the rumor is Dice (prime) is working on WW2
    And DICE LA are working on BFBC3

1) Not sure we are in a place where a new BF game every 12 months is a good thing. especially if we are tossing a battlefront sequel or so in there sprinkled in.

2) If you want me to choose between perhaps a less technically marvelous bf game made by the saviors of BF4 who are renowned for listening to the community and taking IT and balance seriously and DICE Sweden making some glorious frostbite graphical masterpiece where they do what they want and ignore any community feedback- I'll see you all in BC3.

mojojoeo on
  • Options
    Oh man, a new WW2 Battlefield would be rad.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Been playing a lot of Turning Tides DLC this past week. Of the two new maps, I LOVE the 'not normandy' level with beach landings. One of the new gun unlocks require blowing up boats with the AT gun so was fun taking out loaded enemy transports as they rushed to shore. The new optical gun Assault gets is rather awesome, has a large 81 capacity, low recoil, and of course is scoped. Probably my new fav Assault weapon.

Achi Baba, the other new map, I found fun for Rush mode and frontlines, but doesn't have as many vehicles and chaos in Conquest mode as the new beach landing map

Zavian on
  • Options
    Zavian wrote: »
    Been playing a lot of Turning Tides DLC this past week. Of the two new maps, I LOVE the 'not normandy' level with beach landings. One of the new gun unlocks require blowing up boats with the AT gun so was fun taking out loaded enemy transports as they rushed to shore. The new optical gun Assault gets is rather awesome, has a large 81 capacity, low recoil, and of course is scoped. Probably my new fav Assault weapon.

Achi Baba, the other new map, I found fun for Rush mode and frontlines, but doesn't have as many vehicles and chaos in Conquest mode as the new beach landing map

I snuck into one of those boats. they never expected sniper fire from their own landing boats.

• Options
    edited December 2017
    Cape helles conquest assault is the most intense and awesome fun I've had on a battlefield map. I'm sure it's unbalanced as all heck but my god

Also honestly ww2 looks too similar to ww1, plus with cod, I'm not really up for it. I want a 2142 as a main but I can see them hesitating after cods modern games

Prohass on
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    So, Jackfrags put out an Apocalypse expansion preview video today and opens it with a new scout gadget that's on the CTE (and I'm actually hoping gets put into the live release): it's a MAV. I mean, okay it's not a MAV...but it may as well be. It's a spotting pigeon that the scout can either remote control (to get full wireframe spotting) or let passively circle and spot (just red dorito) baddies.

Full video behind spoiler:

Also, the iron-sights on that new medic rifle......that's going to annoy the everliving piss out of me.

Erlkönig on
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I hopped back in to this the other night since I didn't realize the first 2 turning tides maps were out. The Op seems really fun but I think I still prefer The Name of the Tsar's operations.

That said, I still got it, at least when the lag isn't crippling. I went 75 to 24 over the course of that operation game.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    I think I'd be cool with either a Vietnam themed BF or a WW2 BF. CoD Ww2 just wast really my cup of tea, what with all the weird, colorful customization in a "historical" shooter. Plus it's cod so

Juggernut on
  • Options
    While I won't much mind if it's a Vietnam setting (provided that we can broadcast music while flying around in a Huey Slick), if it's WW2, it'll be the first Battlefield game I'll be skipping. What I ideally want is a 2142 sequel (or even prequel)...y'know, something where the weapons are near-futuristic (and not far-future laser guns) and the overall tech is still recognizable.

• Options
    CSStheGr8CSStheGr8 Registered User regular
    I miss 2142 so much. I think it ended up being my favorite of the series.

3DS FC: 2363-6921-5075
  • Options
    So after that 2nd Turning Tides update every single server is empty and listed at red ping and quick match throws you into completely empty games.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    So after that 2nd Turning Tides update every single server is empty and listed at red ping and quick match throws you into completely empty games.

Weird, I was able to hop on and try the new maps earlier today using quick match on the ps4 version. The new naval combat map i thought was a nice change of pace, but the air combat maps in Apocalypse are what I'm most hyped for.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    EA needs to either give admins their tools back or include better team balancing mechanics for me to ever touch one of their MP games again. The state of their games is just dreadful.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Team balancing won't do much, though admin tools are needed beyond belief.

You will always have someone who can lopside things solo.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    iRevert wrote: »
    Team balancing won't do much, though admin tools are needed beyond belief.

You will always have someone who can lopside things solo.

They can at least shuffle the teams every match. Right now all you can do in bf1 is find a new server because one side gets overloaded and the rolls get worse over time.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png