As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fighting Games] 2B for Xmas

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Yamcha = Wolverine
    21 = Rogue

16 as Sentinel?

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Yamcha = Wolverine
    21 = Rogue

16 as Sentinel?

See, people like functions, not characters.

/snark

• Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    I'm sad at how many characters are below Remy. He was one of the least interesting characters in Street Fighter 3. Guile with a flashier Flash Kick and an awkward dive kick.
    Least interesting?

And I wouldn't feel too bad about his placement at 41. After Season 3 finishes, Street Fighter V will have 34 characters in it. One more season would bring the roster to 40, and Capcom is bound to skip at least Skullomania. That means that Remy has a chance!!

• Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    Page- wrote: »
    so android 21 is playable after all. transforms into majin 21 and can steal her opponent's moves.

Majin 21? More like Majin Oooh. AMIRITE!?

• Options
    Blitz RawketBlitz Rawket Registered User regular
    Switched back from the other account, already let moderation know about the reversion. So do people here play any older FGs still?

• Options
    verbelverbel Registered User regular
    I thought the beta was fun once it started working. I kinda want to get it but I'm sooooo bad at fighting games.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    verbel wrote: »
    I thought the beta was fun once it started working. I kinda want to get it but I'm sooooo bad at fighting games.

I got a copy for the PS4 and one for PC. My gf has never played one until DBZF's Beta and still had a blast. Meanwhile I'm trash tier at fighters and also had a damn good time.

There will also be more than plenty casual players in this game to take the GIT GUD SCRUB pressure off and the SP story sounds like it'll be worth the price of admission all on its own so I think if you enjoyed the game you should get it.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Switched back from the other account, already let moderation know about the reversion. So do people here play any older FGs still?

Bumping this question before it gets lost in the hype scramble. Y'all do know riding nothing but new FGs is a great way to Stay Bad right? You do really play games with each other here right?

• Options
    I sometimes do. But mostly I like to watch the competitions.

If you wanna meet more players, try the SE thread.

They even have a discord chat set up.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular

Bumping this question before it gets lost in the hype scramble. Y'all do know riding nothing but new FGs is a great way to Stay Bad right? You do really play games with each other here right?

which old games are you interested in? i play almost everything

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »

I got a copy for the PS4 and one for PC. My gf has never played one until DBZF's Beta and still had a blast. Meanwhile I'm trash tier at fighters and also had a damn good time.

There will also be more than plenty casual players in this game to take the GIT GUD SCRUB pressure off and the SP story sounds like it'll be worth the price of admission all on its own so I think if you enjoyed the game you should get it.

I think there's also going to be some substantial SP content outside of the story mode too. Also, there's the auto-combo mode. It wont do you any good against people online who are good at fighting games, but for vs AI stuff you'll be able to string together some cool looking shit without having to be some MLG pro fighting game person.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    fRAWRst wrote: »

Ultra, CvS2 (original or EO OK), A2 (Chun main fair warning), KoF '98, RBFF2 (will'na take a stab at Special), to a lesser extent than all the others KoF XIII. That game is fun to lab though, even if I do hate that drive cancel into MuShiki doesn't OTG from rekka like it does in EO P-groove.

If there was a way to play KoF XII online to this day, I'd be all over it to rope people in. It's tragic how fast that game died to CT, it's criminally underrated. I'd take Crit Counter bogus biz over HD/Max Mode crap anyday. Chains off C+D for simple and universal 2-in-1s to punish was tight af too.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I wonder if DBFZ is going to have options for both Japanese and NA voice tracks. I saw a video on Youtube last night with the English VAs, and it was my first time seeing the game with them. Seemed kinda off to me... Though, maybe the audio on the video was a bit desynched. I dunno... Frieza just sounded weird when he was getting beat up.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    It's an option in the game.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    verbelverbel Registered User regular

Yeah I bought it. I was having to much fun even being bad, plus with the training mode I'm sure I will get better. In my memory I used to be decent at fighting games (might be false memories though lol) I'm older and my hands kinda hurt so I have slowed down but It's still fun and thats what counts.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Ultra, CvS2 (original or EO OK), A2 (Chun main fair warning), KoF '98, RBFF2 (will'na take a stab at Special), to a lesser extent than all the others KoF XIII. That game is fun to lab though, even if I do hate that drive cancel into MuShiki doesn't OTG from rekka like it does in EO P-groove.

If there was a way to play KoF XII online to this day, I'd be all over it to rope people in. It's tragic how fast that game died to CT, it's criminally underrated. I'd take Crit Counter bogus biz over HD/Max Mode crap anyday. Chains off C+D for simple and universal 2-in-1s to punish was tight af too.

i can play ultra, i believe cvs2 is on fightcade, as is alpha 2, and 98

do you have steam? add me fRAWRst

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    I am always down for kof13 on pc.

Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    (dont trust his lies)

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    (dont trust his lies)

Fight me when i get home tomorrow.

Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    edited January 2018

Yeah I bought it. I was having to much fun even being bad, plus with the training mode I'm sure I will get better. In my memory I used to be decent at fighting games (might be false memories though lol) I'm older and my hands kinda hurt so I have slowed down but It's still fun and thats what counts.

Have you tried using something like a Hitbox to deal with any hand pain issues?

In other news I got excited when I saw SF5: AE was out and then immediately went back to staring at the DBFZ release date and sighing. I just can't bring myself to care about SF5 in the slightest without Sagat in there and apparently he's releasing last ;_;

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular

In other news I got excited when I saw SF5: AE was out and then immediately went back to staring at the DBFZ release date and sighing. I just can't bring myself to care about SF5 in the slightest without Sagat in there and apparently he's releasing last ;_;

Seconding the use of a hitbox for hurt hands. It may have a learning curve but once you get used to it much easier than controller claw

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    mojojoeo wrote: »

Seconding the use of a hitbox for hurt hands. It may have a learning curve but once you get used to it much easier than controller claw

Same here. I think it combines my favorite parts of dpad and arcade sticks. If you keep good wrist form (I play on it like a piano) it's way less strenuous.

It might require some extra dexterity from your left hand fingers, but no more than piano or a good wpm typing score.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    I gave sfv a go out of boredom again. Meh.

BUT, B-U-T. Kolin's backwards walk cycle is the greatest fighting game thing I have seen in a long while. So Sassy

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    So like, some of these combos you see in DBFZ are taking half a character's health. Is that... normal for fighting games?

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    If you're not doing touch of death combos you're not really playing Marvel DBFZ.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Dac wrote: »
    So like, some of these combos you see in DBFZ are taking half a character's health. Is that... normal for fighting games?

They actually seem pretty reasonable to me. Long high-damage combos require investing plenty of ult bar, and they're the exception rather than the rule; each team is also running 3 characters, which means it would take six successful half-health combos to win a fight. Toss in the ability to regain a fairly generous amount of blue health, and everybody seems to be pretty durable.

Compared to MvC3 or MvCI where every hit seems to turn into a stupidly-long 75%-health combo, DBFZ seems pretty forgiving to me.

• Options
    edited January 2018

They actually seem pretty reasonable to me. Long high-damage combos require investing plenty of ult bar, and they're the exception rather than the rule; each team is also running 3 characters, which means it would take six successful half-health combos to win a fight. Toss in the ability to regain a fairly generous amount of blue health, and everybody seems to be pretty durable.

Compared to MvC3 or MvCI where every hit seems to turn into a stupidly-long 75%-health combo, DBFZ seems pretty forgiving to me.

Especially with the game resetting to neutral whenever a character dies meaning no incoming mix-ups and the varied tools for getting out of heavy pressure. It's all the fun of bonkers combos without that lingering feeling of "welp, I'm fucked."

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    not unusual, especially in a versus game where 50% life is really only 1/6th of your total life pool

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

Especially with the game resetting to neutral whenever a character dies meaning no incoming mix-ups and the varied tools for getting out of heavy pressure. It's all the fun of bonkers combos without that lingering feeling of "welp, I'm fucked."

Yeah, the game design seems genuinely interested in being fun and balanced instead of challenging players to come up with the easiest, cheapest ways to land stupid combos. Everybody can easily counter projectile spam, everybody has cross-screen mobility, everybody can teleport, and everybody seems to have a fair assortment of moves instead of half the cast getting too much and the other half barely anything. Bigass combos are the exception rather than the rule as well, so matches aren't mostly just a pile of absurd combos that take way too long to finish to be entertaining.

I feel like bodying somebody in DBFZ will require a whole lot more effort than the other player simply making an early slip or two. And no burying them in a corner with a hundred bits of trashy visual flair to make it easy to land a hit and knock off three-quarters of their life in one go.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Well the game isn't out yet so we haven't seen folks find the real dirt yet.

That said they already said they want it to be a two-combo game where it takes at least two good hits to kill a character so that is the design philosophy.

• Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    I think a fun alternate rule set for a 3v3 fighter would be something like this:
    - you can't actually eliminate characters from the team, but once a character takes enough damage, they are snapped out and cannot be called on for a certain period of time
    - each character tracks their own chunk of recoverable health on the team health gauge, and snapping in or tagging causes their chunk to empty out

(Tekken Tag Tournament's approach was to make it so that KO-ing ANY teammate results in that team losing the round!)

The point of this is that losing one third of your health in a typical 1v1 fighter doesn't mean the loss of a proportional chunk of your ability to do things. While in the cutthroat world of Mahvel this is the decades-established norm, for a more casual experience or even a semi-competitive one, it'd be interesting to have a team-based fighter where the loss of a party member doesn't result in the loss of team integrity.

A thing I kind of don't like about DBFZ so far is that the characters are too similar in their movement and normals. Having powerful universal actions is a good thing, and some degree of homogeneity can be desirable because it makes the chunk more quickly accessible to all players: think about how many people can say that they main more than 2 characters in Guilty Gear! It's so much work to learn how to play even one character well in some other ArcSys games that having a big cast starts to feel daunting and discouraging rather than exciting and enticing.

I really like MvC3 and MvCI's fundamental ideas of the team composition really mattering, and trying to make a team that is much more than just "3 guys who fight one after another". Doom beam and Doom missiles are both really good, really powerful assists that provide really different options for your team. Cable supported by Sentinel and Captain Commando is an actual wall of bombs and explosions, and entirely different from Cable backed by Magneto and Sentinel. etc.

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    added you fRAWRst

for a Marvel-like it's exceptionally lenient. kinda digging the approach this way, I can't think of a DB game that's so high-damage since it always depicts the characters being strong as tanks withstanding nuclear blasts and shi. love the idea of putting them all together meaning you have high-risk high-stakes instead, even in-lore it's a more fitting approach imo. it's probably going to make movement play a big role in high level play too since you walk in knowing one of your characters can just melt if you aren't careful. love this about it.

Blitz Rawket on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Anyone able to tell me if Fighterz has a legacy option like SFV for PS3 fight sticks?

• Options
    added you fRAWRst

for a Marvel-like it's exceptionally lenient. kinda digging the approach this way, I can't think of a DB game that's so high-damage since it always depicts the characters being strong as tanks withstanding nuclear blasts and shi. love the idea of putting them all together meaning you have high-risk high-stakes instead, even in-lore it's a more fitting approach imo. it's probably going to make movement play a big role in high level play too since you walk in knowing one of your characters can just melt if you aren't careful. love this about it.

dope

msh me whenever u see me on steam and we can play whatevs u got

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    SFV AE for $32 on GMG, https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/street-fighter-v-arcade-edition/

You can also use the SAVE15 coupon code to drop it lower, to like $26

• Options
    Kelor wrote: »
    Anyone able to tell me if Fighterz has a legacy option like SFV for PS3 fight sticks?

wasnt in beta..... so... might not at launch

• Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    Rex Dart wrote: »
    I'm sad at how many characters are below Remy. He was one of the least interesting characters in Street Fighter 3. Guile with a flashier Flash Kick and an awkward dive kick.
    Least interesting?

And I wouldn't feel too bad about his placement at 41. After Season 3 finishes, Street Fighter V will have 34 characters in it. One more season would bring the roster to 40, and Capcom is bound to skip at least Skullomania. That means that Remy has a chance!!

Going by this popularity vote, the correct DLC strategy for Capcom to take with SFV is to make tons of costumes for Q since he ranks higher than Chun-Li by two places.

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    l_g wrote: »
    A thing I kind of don't like about DBFZ so far is that the characters are too similar in their movement and normals.

I noticed this too. After watching hours of people streaming the beta, it started to definitely feel that a lot of the basics looked very similar. Every launch into pursuit combo looking nigh identical save for the move that would finish it. The presentation is still crazy good. But very little wow factor out of just the normal attack animations.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    cptrugged wrote: »
    l_g wrote: »
    A thing I kind of don't like about DBFZ so far is that the characters are too similar in their movement and normals.

I noticed this too. After watching hours of people streaming the beta, it started to definitely feel that a lot of the basics looked very similar. Every launch into pursuit combo looking nigh identical save for the move that would finish it. The presentation is still crazy good. But very little wow factor out of just the normal attack animations.

Its pretty basic but I think thats a good thing. Half those combos you are complaining about are the universal string (jam on square).

its about combining the basic crap with the moves that are diff. You guys could be right it may be tipped to far to basic and samey. But like the Capcom vs and alpha series both had chain combos. they help newbs until the real stuff is found- which is ok.

Think about the deeper stuff- gohan in unlocked potential form has all new properties that change how his combos work.

17 and nappa can use assist giimicks to set up trix that others cannot.

They all have the universal combo too which is alot of what we have seen so far

mojojoeo on
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Auto combos are nothing new, when you think about it. UNIEL and P4A both have them too, though they looked different per character because the characters were actually all different humanoid creatures, instead of half of the cast being Saiyans. :P

It's really not much different than the magic series combos from earlier Capcom vs. games.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear