As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Legend of Zelda] Link's Awakening remake coming to Switch in 2019

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Derrick wrote: »
    I'm still pretty new to the game. I just kind of did a Skyrim thing and started heading North. I am getting my ass one hit K-O'd by the big baddies and it feels bad.

Other than that, I love the game. Super happy I bought the Switch. I do wish I could remap the crouch controls though.

As a bit of advice, you can start off by going pretty much anywhere, but you may have a better experience if you let the game guide you for a bit. There's some stuff to unlock that can be very helpful, and some tutorials that aren't clearly covered anywhere else.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Oh what the hell?
    Thing about Octorocks I never knew:
    Apparently if you throw rusty weapons at Rock Octorocks while they're sucking stuff in, they clean them up and spit them out?
    I'm not used to games not telling me stuff like that.
    wwwwwwhhhhhhhhAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT THAT IS AWESOME! Holy shit the gems they put in this game.

• DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I really like how you can judt play in short bursts if you want.

Now if I could just get more rupees... and arrows

For rupees, the best thing is hunting. Go to the stable in the north tundra, grab a horse, and go hunt some animals. Cooking max quality meat sell for a pile of rupees. It's how I financed most of my gear.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I didn't ever find something I wanted to buy where I didn't have enough random crap in my inventory to liquidise there and then to easily cover the cost.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    Drascin wrote: »

For rupees, the best thing is hunting. Go to the stable in the north tundra, grab a horse, and go hunt some animals. Cooking max quality meat sell for a pile of rupees. It's how I financed most of my gear.

For arrows, go back along the path to Zora's Domain. The enemies there drop a ridiculous amount.

• Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Or just find a moblin with arrows and have him let loose so you can collect his missed shots.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Or just sell a ton of apples and monster guts.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Or go bowling. A lot.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    Or just find a moblin with arrows and have him let loose so you can collect his missed shots.

They patched that, actually. I think only the first five or so shots will actually stick in the ground for you to collect.

• Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Glazius wrote: »

They patched that, actually. I think only the first five or so shots will actually stick in the ground for you to collect.

Damn. Which game was it where you could collect the arrows off your shield? (Stupidly open question, I know)

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo

Damn. Which game was it where you could collect the arrows off your shield? (Stupidly open question, I know)

This one

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Oh what the hell?
    Thing about Octorocks I never knew:
    Apparently if you throw rusty weapons at Rock Octorocks while they're sucking stuff in, they clean them up and spit them out?
    I'm not used to games not telling me stuff like that.
    wwwwwwhhhhhhhhAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT THAT IS AWESOME! Holy shit the gems they put in this game.

Octorocks can suck the rust off a sword......*wink*wink*nudge*nudge*knowhatimean*

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum

This one

If you equip a wooden shield, take a few hits of arrows while blocking, then put the shield away the arrows stuck to it will add to your inventory.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    There's a chest in a pool on a small island next to Eventide Island. It has 10 arrows, and the chest reappears whenever you either teleport or save/reload. If you have the DLC teleport medallion you can set it right next to the chest and start farming. It's the definition of a grind, but it's also probably the fastest method.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular

If you'll excuse an unprompted bit of assistance:

1) For rupees, kill every animal you see. It's worth the arrows to pick up any amount of meat you can get. Meat is one of the very rare crafting materials in the game that doesn't have any alternative applications besides eating it and selling it (except for one guy who wants a Gourmet Meat, and he'll barely give you above market price for them), so you can comfortably throw five meats in a pot (for rupee generation, it doesn't matter in the long run if you mix grades of meat) and sell the skewer without worrying about whether you're really going to need it later.

2) For arrows, find stables. Beedle will always sell arrows in his top two slots, and his stock refreshes every in-game day for each stable. That's also a good opportunity to cook and sell your meat, since every stable has a cooking pot nearby.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
    Beedle does overcharge for his arrows through, so you're better off trying the shops in towns first, assuming you've reached them.
    They won't always have stock, but it's usually enough to see you through.

Also, try smashing/bombing the barrels and crates around enemy camps, arrows are a pretty common drop.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I do hate selling things I might need later. So I will syart cooking meat, I guess. Need 1k rupees for a fairy fountain

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Do shrine chests regen at all?

• DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    jothki wrote: »
    I'm still pretty new to the game. I just kind of did a Skyrim thing and started heading North. I am getting my ass one hit K-O'd by the big baddies and it feels bad.

Other than that, I love the game. Super happy I bought the Switch. I do wish I could remap the crouch controls though.

As a bit of advice, you can start off by going pretty much anywhere, but you may have a better experience if you let the game guide you for a bit. There's some stuff to unlock that can be very helpful, and some tutorials that aren't clearly covered anywhere else.

That's probably a good idea. I just got the basic runes and ran off hop scotching between shrines, mostly. I haven't run into anything I couldn't do, but yeah, some of those dudes hit hard. It's like Dark Souls with Elf Ears in some of those areas. Which is good and bad. I mean, I like Dark Souls. Also, I know I *can* technically kill those guys, but it's hard when they one shot you.

But you're saying I get new abilities from following the story stuff? I thought it was pretty open world in that "Well, here's the basics. Fuck off over the rainbow, Link."

Edit- One minor gripe I have is that the stand alone controller with the Zelda emblems and all on it doesn't have motion controls. So on several shrines I've had to sigh, get up and undock the switch and do the puzzle, and then put it back.

I guess I should have bought the Pro controller. I was too gung-ho on the Zelda front and didn't check for feature differences. I just thought the Pro Controller was wireless as the only difference.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander

That's probably a good idea. I just got the basic runes and ran off hop scotching between shrines, mostly. I haven't run into anything I couldn't do, but yeah, some of those dudes hit hard. It's like Dark Souls with Elf Ears in some of those areas. Which is good and bad. I mean, I like Dark Souls. Also, I know I *can* technically kill those guys, but it's hard when they one shot you.

But you're saying I get new abilities from following the story stuff? I thought it was pretty open world in that "Well, here's the basics. Fuck off over the rainbow, Link."

Edit- One minor gripe I have is that the stand alone controller with the Zelda emblems and all on it doesn't have motion controls. So on several shrines I've had to sigh, get up and undock the switch and do the puzzle, and then put it back.

I guess I should have bought the Pro controller. I was too gung-ho on the Zelda front and didn't check for feature differences. I just thought the Pro Controller was wireless as the only difference.

There's a camera you have to unlock, that comes with the ability to register things that you photograph into a sort of guide thing and then track instances of them.

There's also an NPC who lets you upgrade the number of weapon/shield slots you have, who you can find much earlier than you normally would if you go that way.

edited January 2018

Well, you get an ability from each major dungeon you complete. They make shrines and some open world things easier to complete, but they are not required.

azith28 on
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Do shrine chests regen at all?

They do not but the Guardians from the "Test Your Might" style shrines do return, which means you can pick up some ancient weapons and maybe an ancient shield from defeating it again. Also a few Guardian parts.

NNID: Rehab0
  • FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    I'm still new since I've just bought a Switch and this so I'm just very casually and slowly making my way through the world, the way Zelda games are meant to be played for me, doing shrines, exploring, seeing what I can cook up, who I can meet along the way. I saw some wild horses and, not knowing how the mount system worked in this game (just assuming there was one), I sneaked up on a horse and held onto it while it tried to buck me off. I rode it around for a while and had to get off to go into a shrine, expecting it to leave, but when I came back it was just there waiting for me like we were best friends already. I rode around some more and eventually stumbled upon a stable, and saw that it was as easy as just registering him and making him permanent. That was fun and what I loved is there wasn't anything along the way telling me about the system or how to go about it.

Are you the magic man?
    Frei wrote: »
    I'm still new since I've just bought a Switch and this so I'm just very casually and slowly making my way through the world, the way Zelda games are meant to be played for me, doing shrines, exploring, seeing what I can cook up, who I can meet along the way. I saw some wild horses and, not knowing how the mount system worked in this game (just assuming there was one), I sneaked up on a horse and held onto it while it tried to buck me off. I rode it around for a while and had to get off to go into a shrine, expecting it to leave, but when I came back it was just there waiting for me like we were best friends already. I rode around some more and eventually stumbled upon a stable, and saw that it was as easy as just registering him and making him permanent. That was fun and what I loved is there wasn't anything along the way telling me about the system or how to go about it.

The thing about the game is, there actually is a tutorial if you follow the path the game sets for you. Not really that much of a spoiler, but just in case you want your experience to be completely unknown:
    If you head due east from the plateau and pass through the mountains, you'll immediately run into a stable. In addition to finding out about all of the horsey stuff by talking to people, there's a guy there who will give you a reward if you can capture and return with a horse quickly enough, giving you the opportunity to practice until you have it down.

• FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    Frei wrote: »

The thing about the game is, there actually is a tutorial if you follow the path the game sets for you. Not really that much of a spoiler, but just in case you want your experience to be completely unknown:
    If you head due east from the plateau and pass through the mountains, you'll immediately run into a stable. In addition to finding out about all of the horsey stuff by talking to people, there's a guy there who will give you a reward if you can capture and return with a horse quickly enough, giving you the opportunity to practice until you have it down.
    I tend to go off the beaten path a bit so I must have approached him from a different direction or something. I'm glad it worked out that way, it was a mini-adventure and a bit of a self-contained story. Nonetheless, I like how the game is tutorial-light, and apart from the major (I assume) doesn't tell you where you have to go.

Are you the magic man?
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    DLC pack 2 horse armor, can anyone give me a hint of where it's located? I don't want to just look it up, but it seems important enough that I don't want to stumble on it late in the game. I already found the
    horse sprint boosting item on the big mountain under the cherry tree, but I could use a hint on the other one, regarding some horse spirit.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
    Septus wrote: »
    DLC pack 2 horse armor, can anyone give me a hint of where it's located? I don't want to just look it up, but it seems important enough that I don't want to stumble on it late in the game. I already found the
    horse sprint boosting item on the big mountain under the cherry tree, but I could use a hint on the other one, regarding some horse spirit.

Rough directions:
    Search around the south of the map. If you've unlocked the tower so you can see the map, it shouldn't be too hard to find.
    And general advice for finding treasure if you think you're in the right area; using magnesis makes any hidden/buried chests easy to spot.

• SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Thanks!

PSN: Kurahoshi1
    Just made it to Zora town, still have not tamed a horse. Didn't have the funds, and then kept forgetting.

• RehabRehab Registered User regular
    That area and the Akkala (spelling?) region in general is pretty good for getting a lot of things that can get you some rupees.
    Lots of luminous stones and ore clusters to be found. There are also a lot of animals about in some areas that can get you a lot of prime meat real fast.

Zora's Domain is also really cool looking so its fun to explore. You will likely notice its easy to stock pile on something else while you are there too.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I only just now realized that the Master Sword did this:

and now I feel like an idiot.

I was fighting a guardian and I was like wait no, dont accidentally throw the Master Swo......OHHH MY FUCKING GOD.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Beat the middle sword trial

I actually had less trouble with that one than the first

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    Yeah 2nd is easiest.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    I should probably finish the trials at some point before I forget how to fight things.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    Beedle does overcharge for his arrows through, so you're better off trying the shops in towns first, assuming you've reached them.
    They won't always have stock, but it's usually enough to see you through.

Also, try smashing/bombing the barrels and crates around enemy camps, arrows are a pretty common drop.

If you want 100+ arrows in 20 minutes or so, just take the route up the mountain to the Zora Kingdom. Each lizard drops oodles of them.

Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
    Handy tip for horse taming, if you have trouble sneaking up on them; Horses don't look up.
    Just glide over and land on them.

I was fighting a guardian and I was like wait no, dont accidentally throw the Master Swo......OHHH MY FUCKING GOD.

I don't know I wish it just did it with out going into aiming mode it's so clunky in a fight

• Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018

I don't know I wish it just did it with out going into aiming mode it's so clunky in a fight

I've mainly been using it to mow the lawn/save arrows.

In other news I've finally gotten 8bit link to give me a piece of hero gear.. of course it was the pants. It's always the pants.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
    I like the armor I got from my Link amiibo.
    I figure the presence of the Trousers of Time probably isn't an intentional Terry Pratchett reference, but I'm going to take it as one, and no-one can stop me.

• Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    I totally forgot that scanning Amiibo does a thing in this game. Do you have to get to a certain point for that? And what Amiibos work?

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.